Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » CURRENT MOVIE REVIEWS - Yours! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CURRENT MOVIE REVIEWS - Yours!
Reep
Resigned

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm off to see Seabiscuit.

I'll let you know my opinion. The reviews are pretty pro thus far.

[Chameleon Boy]

[ July 25, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Reep ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Seabiscuit --- [Chameleon Boy] [Chameleon Boy] [Chameleon Boy] [Chameleon Boy]

Pretty good film. Nice period piece with strong characterization and a story of cooperation as much as competition.

I was surprised when during the race with War Admiral, several people starting spontaneously clapping. There was a lot of applause at the end of the film too. And there was a wide range of ages in the audience.

Until the recent book came out, I had not known Seabiscuit was a West Coast horse and ran primarily at Santa Anita. I used to play the ponies there when I was young with my uncles. Still looks the same, with the San Gabriels in the background. I won money on Affirmed there before he won the Triple Crown.

Good film.

[Chameleon Boy]

minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Reep. Its a good story and well made film.

But its also kind of a snoozer if you aren't interested in horses. My wife made me go see it with her. She used the ole "I've seen all of your movies, now we go see one of mine" arguments on me.

I rank Seabiscuit up there with Castaway as one of the best movies I've seen, that I never want to see again.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Seabiscuit (why is there a "u" in "biscuit"? anyway...): I thought it was a pretty good movie, very well acted but just as sentimental as I was afraid it would be. I'm an easy audience for well done sentiment (I even fell for Spielberg's "Always"), but it hit almost all the "right" chords right when it was supposed to.

I didn't feel that Chris Cooper's horse trainer character was fleshed out at all - he was the grisled old anachronism who liked horses and the outdoors more than the modern era, but he never became more than a symbol for age-old wisdom vs. Bridges "man of the future".

The film itself played the subtext and historical significance for all it was worth -- *hammering* home the notion that most people in the country suffering from the Depression were just like Seabiscuit (and the three main guys) -- damaged, but posessed of a never say die american attitude and just needed a second chance.

Betty Brant from Spider-Man is here as Jeff Bridges' wife and she's got good screen presence, but her character is paper thin considering how much she's onscreen (usually standing next to Bridges and reacting to stuff).

But I still liked the movie well enough for its heart and very skilled execution.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:
Not a bad movie, but nothing all that special either, I'm afraid. I haven't read the comic, so I'm writing this based solely as an action movie on its own merits.

Sean Connery always looks odd with a hairpiece (lord knows why they keep putting one on him when everyone knows he's bald -- and looks better that way), but either way he gives his usually good rough and tumble performance as Alan Quartermain. Peta Wilson's also very good as vampiress Mina Harker, especially in the scene where she looses her composure when feeding.

The story doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I can accept a contrived plot that's used to hang action sequences and character conflict if done well enough. It's done well, but some of the stuff that happens here requires a LOT of suspension of disbelief.

Another big part of this movie, the most successful part for me was the whole "Dirty Dozen" aspect to it -- the characters are all outsiders in some way and don't necessarily get along. I liked what they did with the various characters and their powers. The Jekyll / Hyde transformation was well done as was the Hyde CGI. I also liked the Invisible Man / floating grease paint effect, but didn't really buy it when his entire head was covered (just cheaper that way I guess).

No real major gripes -- just a matter of execution and story I guess. It was good, but not that exciting.

Minor gripes -- Mina Harker the vampire is shown in daylight. What's that about? And I'm not sure, but was she using a mirror (compact) at one point? I could have misrememberd that. Also, at the end, the Invisible Man is wearing a coat and hat, but no shoes? He's outdoors and there's no immediate danger -- he can put on some shoes. (I was also expecting him to show up at the end wrapped in bandages because of his injuries and as an homage to the past, but it didn't happen -- I thought that would've been cool)

[ August 01, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:
Minor gripes -- Mina Harker the vampire is shown in daylight. What's that about?

I think some mythos relate that powerful vampires may walk about during the daytime but they lose almost all of their supernatural powers -such as in "Bram Stokers Dracula". Was she in direct sunlight?

I SO badly want to see the League movie.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
Saw Terminator 3 last night.... it's alright I guess.
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i saw T3 also yesterday !!!

i did enjoy it !!! i know it can't compare to T2 !!! that was just amazing when it come out 12 years ago !!!

but it still entertained me, and that's what those sort of films are supposed to do IMO !!!

i liked the ending !! it made sense i suppose, and makes you understand how JOHN CONNER becomes the LEADER he's supposed to become !!

and i think it leads us into another one ..... T4 anyone ???

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i think i'm gonna go and see The Hulk today !!!

i'll let you know what i think .....

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Boy:
Saw Terminator 3 last night.... it's alright I guess.

Hehe -- that was pretty much my reaction. T3 didn't really bring anything new to the table -- whether it be a new twist to the temporal knot they're involved in or the new Terminator fem-bot, the updates just seemed like a variation on a theme rather than take the next big leap to give us something thrilling. I also thought the character development and performances of the two humans was sorely lacking (Linda Hamilton was sorely missed -- why didn't they just use her twin sister? [Wink] ). Unlike the other two Terminator movies, I can't imagine wanting to watch this over and over.
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:

I'll wait to share my thoughts on the Green Goliath (and I have several). I'd be curious to read your review first.

Btw, what comic book movie in the works are you all most looking forward to? Right now for me it's Hellboy! (second is Iron Man cuz he's always been a favorite)

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

quote:
Linda Hamilton was sorely missed

she was a big favourite of mine from "T2" !!!

i did like the return of Dr Silverman !!! i thought that was pretty funny !!!

Matthew.

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:

I'll wait to share my thoughts on the Green Goliath (and I have several). I'd be curious to read your review first.

Btw, what comic book movie in the works are you all most looking forward to? Right now for me it's Hellboy! (second is Iron Man cuz he's always been a favorite)

i didn't get round to seeing THE HULK today !!!

i'll probably go on Wednesday, now ....

Matthew.

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

i'd love to see the film version of WONDER WOMAN !!!

if they ever get round to making it .....

Matthew.

Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Boy with UP, I saw The Hulk, it's a worthwhile movie, but not standard superhero fare although it's has petty decent FX.

I predict Hulk 2 will be more "Hulk Smash!" with some supervillains in it.

Yeah, I know, a gutsy call. [Big Grin]

[Chameleon Boy]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.