Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Computer Programmers: Real and Imaginary

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer Programmers: Real and Imaginary
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so like a couple of months ago, I did a spreadsheet database thingy in Excel for a co-worker. It was for his Filenes account, and compiled shipments for like 75 different locations, and would enable him to just edit this document if quantities change or whatnot, rather than have to recreate it from scratch every time using our main paperwork program.

Anyhoo, it worked great... the co-worker loved it... the customer really loved it (they had nothing like it, and it's saving them alot of time and effort as well).

So, while I was on vacation a few weeks ago, the co-worker needed something added to it that he hadn't originally thought of, so since I was on vacation, he asked another co-worker to help him out. Well, being the "Excel Guru" that he thinks himself to be, the guy went in and remade the entire sheet in his own image, adding whatever he felt made more sense, and changing alot of the things I had done.

Well, I saw it for the first time today, and noticed all of the changes. There's only one problem with it: because of the unnecessary changes he made, now alot of things don't work right!

So, now I am going back in and recreating the entire spreadsheet, trying to undo what he did.

Sigh.

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Unfortunately, this other guy believes "if he didn't make it, it ain't good enough."

Bastard

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Really, some people can't leave well enough alone. Obviously, his ego outweighed any other considerations. As long as the "mess" didn't get attributed to you....

By the way, doesn't this guy know who you are ?? Send him over here, we'll straighten him out. Off with his head!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
What a fuckhole -- it sucks when someone takes something you originate and screws it up just cuz they have to stick their dick in it.

In my work, there's always plenty of people higher up who feel a need to interject their influence just to feel like they're doing something. There are times energy is wasted by the creatives just to head off or anticipate their interference and trying to limit it.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Bitchslap him, Princess.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Slap the shit out of him Princess.

I recently hired another intranet administrator for my group at work. He caught on pretty quick and had some good ideas of his own but all of a sudden I'm finding changes to code on our pages on just certain lines, menus that don't meet the standard I set and, worst of all, a whole section where the code was redone where it didn't work the way we had intended it to. I had to give the guy a verbal warning to tell him no changes unless approved by the group and me, their manager.

Sure some of his stuff was good and would work well but when you change something without telling the others who are supposed to be creating pages as well it causes some conflict.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Being helpful is great ... but making a backup copy of what you do to be helpful, methinks, is even better. What a putz that "improver" was.
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duplicate Man
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duplicate Man   Email Duplicate Man         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been on the other end of it. Once, when I was still a junior programmer, I encountered some code that was really crappy and I wanted to rewrite it. The senior programmer, being much wiser than I was, had me hold off until I had plenty of time to do so without f**king everything up. The rewrite turned out to be waaay harder than I thought, and by the time I finally got it working right, I'd learned my lesson!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.