Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The Office X-mas Special (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Office X-mas Special
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone else seen this? It's a great followup to the series and ties things up nicely. Getting David out of the office as a reality show "celebrity" and seeing him in the dating world brought a fresh new twist (or new opportunities for him to make an ass of himself).

And as for Tim and Dawn ... totally trumps Ross and Rachel if only for the fact that you really had no idea how things would turn out between them.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah! It also benefitted from the fact it only went on for 2 series instad of 8!

I really liked the Christmas special too. It nearly brought a tear to my eye! And all the jokes about his blind date were very funny too!

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't seen it on BBC America, but I did watch the original two series on DVD, and plan to get the Special DVD when it comes out.

Love the interaction between Tim and Dawn, and between Tim and Gareth. And don't we all know a Gareth or two in our everyday lives?

P.S. Have any of you Britons been to Slough? The show makes it seem a rather unpleasant place to live.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
More importantly, I think we've all known a Dawn or two...

Great finale to the series. David Brint was a great sendup of the ex-reality show "star" epecially the way he thought he was unfairly edited into being a bad guy.

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LyleLyle:
Great finale to the series. David Brint was a great sendup of the ex-reality show "star" epecially the way he thought he was unfairly edited into being a bad guy.

And also the pathetic ways he tried to maintain his time in the "spotlight". Great stuff.

I also loved the "How I made the Office" special that aired after it on BBC-A. I'm surprised that even though a lot came from improv, the final scenes were all totally scripted.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a bit worried about whether the U.S. adaptation will be any good -- or whether it'll go the way of "Coupling"...

It's supposed to be set in Newark, or some similar place.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Can I hijack this for an official THE OFFICE (USA) thread?

I disregarded this show for 7 seasons because I so dislike office politics (and things that are super-popular before I get into them, usually). MY BAD.

Awhile back, in search of new THANGS on Netflix, I took a chance on this... and boy was I rewarded. I blew through 7 seasons on Netflix in no time flat. I repeated that feat this past summer (it's THAT good)!

I was so glad I was able to watch Season 8 live. I heard many disparaging comments about it elsewhere, but I was still enjoying it.

This season (the 9th) is to be the final one. I have heard they are going balls-to the-wall with it. As evidenced by Thursday's season premiere, I think I can see that.

Any other fans around these parts? I know NBC's other Thursday shows get much love.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Love it. I'm behind--have only caught a few eps here and there since the season where Michael leaves, but IMO the show actually improves as the seasons go on (and it starts our good!).

There are a lot of minor character faves--Darryl and Meredith are big ones, and Creed's creepiness cracks me up--but despite my initial dislike for the character Dwight has emerged as my solid #1 favorite.

Also, when you watch all of them you can't help but feel connected to Jim & Pam. The ep where they FINALLY get together is one that leaves me smiling every time.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Only watched one episode so far - about Valentines' Day - but it certainly left me with a good impression.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Huge fan of The Office... it's been my favorite show for years, and, while I'm bummed it's ending this year, I'm glad it's going out before it wore out it's welcome... the season premiere was awesome... loved that we finally heard one of the guys behind the camera... Oscar's phone conversation actually made me gasp and then laugh out loud... and it looks like Pam and Jim are in for some bumps, albeit funny bumps I'm sure...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been a fan of The Office since ep 1.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I made it through about three seasons. The acting has always been stellar but so much of the plot felt as contrived and unbelievable to me as anything you'd see on a standard-issue sitcom... but more outwardly creepy than you'd have gotten back in the day.

[shrug]

To each their own, I guess.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I have mixed feelings about the X-Mas special.

In one way I liked the ending of the series proper, in that, like the series itself, it subverted expectations. Tim didn't get the girl or the promotion, David didn't see the light, and things in the Office just ground on despite it all. It wasn't side-splittingly funny, but a darker shade of comedy I thought they were brave to go with.

The special undid all of that, by pulling out all the stops to give everyone a happy ending, even David. That said, it was extremely funny and there's something to be said for giving an audience what they want. And of course, they nailed the awkwardness and inappropriateness of office X-Mas parties beautifully.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The final US season continues.

It was nice to see Roy again, and to know he's done well. He wasn't always shown in a favorable light on THE OFFICE, but he was hardly a villain. The scene where he plays the piano and sings really drove home how shocking it can be to see someone you haven't seen in forever, and how they can change.

As I understand, we will be touching base this final season with most of the past characters, to get closure. One would certainly hope Michael Scott will be seen too.

"Dwight Jr." is shown to be a real creep, and "The New Jim"-- could a romance with Erin be in the works?

Nellie vs. Dwight... this conflict was resolved with the usual OFFICE flair, and I woldn't mind seeing the two of them hook up.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I loved the "replacement Jim" gag last night!

A "New Jim"/Erin romance def. seems to be hinted at now.

I have really grown fond of Nellie. Pam needs a lady friend, and they seem to be a funny team.

Hopefully the Pam/Jim tension will be short-lived.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.