Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Gay Marriage (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gay Marriage
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I almost hate to bring this up here, but there's a pro-gay petition for marriage out there. Rather than attempt to send this to people who might not want it, I thought I'd post the link here.

Million for Marriage

[ November 24, 2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: ferroboy ]

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
hey, Ferroboy, I got a question. Most marriages are held in churches. Does this not violate the separation of church and state implied by the 1st amendment and supported by the Supreme Court?
[Brainiac 5 - Re-Imagined]

p.s. I support gay marriage. Why should us heteros be the only miserable ones?

[ November 26, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Brainiac68 ]

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
The fact that this is an issue is a sad reflection of the state of the world. Of course people of sound mind should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't harm others. It is so wrong to think that somebody could be in a relationship with somebody else for years and if they died to have no legal entitlements re super, insurance etc is plain and simple wrong

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm pro gay marriage
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Brainiac68:
hey, Ferroboy, I got a question. Most marriages are held in churches. Does this not violate the separation of church and state implied by the 1st amendment and supported by the Supreme Court?

Are you asking if marriage rights for same-sex couples violate the First Amendment, or if marriage in churches in general violates it?

Either way, I'm gonna say no. For straight couples, no one is forcing them to get married in a church. Clergy simply have the authority to marry people, but you still have to get it licensed by the state (at least in most places -- I can't say with 100-percent assurance that all states require this) to be legally recognized. And there are thousands of nonreligious people authorized to perform marriages.

For same-sex couples, no law would require churches to perform the ceremonies. We're just looking for civil recognition. It would be great if all denominations would embrace gay people (and some already do and perform ceremonies without government recognition), but this fight is for civil equality, not religious marriage.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
Fashionable Ferndale? My man!

Marriage and civil unions should be allowed to all domestic partners, regardless of gender. I believe that the government is once again legislating discrimination. I brought up separation of church and state because the government is allowing clergy to act as agents of the state by signing the marriage licenses. IMO, the anti-gay marriage laws passed in some states recently (shamefully, here in MI, too) smell a lot like the old Jim Crow laws.

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually Brainiac68, City or town clerks sign marriage licences that allow couples to marry. Clergy, Justices of the Peace, judges, and those authorized to perform wedding ceremonies sign marriage certificates which shows that a ceremony took place.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Brainiac68:

p.s. I support gay marriage. Why should us heteros be the only miserable ones?

I think it does kind if violate the church and state thing because religion is the overriding reason why people come out against it.

Personally, I've never had a whole lot of interest in marriage, but I don't see why I should be denied it if some guy changes my mind.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
just move on up here to Canada, we'll let you get married if you want (at least in most provinces)
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here in Europe, gay marriage isn't recognized in many countries, but at least there are different types of "cicil union contracts" that gives gay couples the same social and legal rights as straight couples.

Gay marriage? Could be fun.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Since I was linking to this on another board anyhow, it occurred to me that folks here might want to see it as well:

Bush Appointee Finds DOMA Unconstitutional

quote:
The Court rebuked Congress for BLAG’s argument that caution should be taken with issues that can be socially divisive:
Here, too, this Court finds that Congress cannot, like an ostrich, merely bury its head in the sand and wait for danger to pass, especially at the risk of permitting continued constitutional injury upon legally married couples. The fact that the issue is socially divisive does nothing to relieve the judiciary of its obligation to examine the constitutionality of the discriminating classifications in the law.

A good message, but one I suspect will be lost on Obama and other so-called leaders.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I love the ostrich simile. Very apt.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
IB, me too!

Another link forwarded to me by a fan elsewhere. What really impressed me here was that the Church and the School seemed intent on pushing their own anti-GLBT agenda on some young people who'll be able to vote shortly... But it backfired, because at least some of the students called them on their crap.

(link to newspaper article)

(I didn't read the comments. If the regulars in MN-St. Paul are even half as idiotic as the ones who routinely show up on Oregon.live, I think it's best today to forego it. I'm already not in a real great mood.)

A bonus, "Eat Me" to these idiotic so-called religious leaders for bagging on adoptees and single parents, because apparently just bagging on the GLBT community isn't enough for them. Somebody very close to me is adopted, you sanctimonious creeps. What the bloody blue blazes is wrong with you?!

[Mad]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
a lot of the comments are fairly positive, actually. Including from lay Catholics unhappy with their clergy.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

I am officially consoled, Kent. (Maybe I should see if there are any jobs in MN-St. Paul. [Big Grin] )

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.