Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » 2005: Music (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2005: Music
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So its that time of year. Lists of best, worst, etc. I decided to share my thoughts on my likes on various mediums and since music means a lot to me, that's where I'm starting. Please feel free to add your thoughts to this and subsequent threads. No particular format.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A lot of great albums came out this year. I think I probably added more new bands to my likes than any year in the past. My top 10 favorite albums/artists of 2005:

10. Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams

Before this year I had no idea who Jack Johnson was. I mean, I listen primarily to alt rock stations and he wasn't on their play lists. Until late this year. Nothing hard edged (my preference) by still some great music. And the video for Sitting, Waiting, Wishing is kinda cool.

9. System Of A Down - Mezmerize

A short album, a little over 30 minutes, but I think it was meant to be part of a dual disc along with Hypnotize, which was just released. Good old hard edged, subversive music. Just a lot of rock and some dead on political commentary in the lyrics. My kind of tunes.

8. Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree

Okay, this band gets the award for the most long track names on one album. Example: I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me. There are at least four or five tracks with titles that long. The music is pretty good too for...well, I'm not sure how their music should be classified but I like it.

7. Foo Fighters - In Your Honour

Two discs, two different styles. And Dave Grohl pulled it off. I loved Nirvana and was glad that Grohl was able to carry on after they were gone but never really followed Foo Fighters. This dual disc may have changed that. I did like the harder, more 'traditional', sound of the first disc but the slower music of the second disc was good too. Definitely one of the year's best.

6. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand & You Could Have It So Much Better

Technically their self-titled album came out last year but this was the year it hit big with Take Me Out. For a four man band from Scotland (who knew they could make music without a pict? [Wink] ) these guys offered up some catchy tunes. The second album released just in October got off to a great start with Do You Want To. Some pretty interesting lyrics in that one. As one Amazon reviewer put it "homo-erotic blissed out dance punk!"

5. Beck - Guero

Why the hell is there a Beck album on my list? I've never really liked him in the past. Not someone I've actively avoided listening to (like flipping the station when he comes on) but never thought enough to buy an album. Guero changed that. E-Pro, the first single, got me interested and the (to me) Van Morrison sounding Girl hooked me good. I just love the twangy acoustic guitar on that song. Brings back memories. Beck has actually remixed the alubm and released Guerolito but I haven't listened to it yet. I don't want the remixes to ruin a great album.

4. Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

I say this totally as a straight, hetero male. I love Trent Reznor. To me he is the musical equivalent of Edgar Allan Poe. His lyrics and music get to me in the same way that Poe's words do. I wish he didn't take so long between albums but respect the way he works. While With Teeth isn't as strong as his previous work I still thoroughly enjoyed it. There is no you, there is only me!

3. Gorillaz - Demon Days

A one man show fronted by some of the ugliest looking cartoon characters this side of Ren and Stimpy. But the music! Feel Good Inc. will be on every music CD I burn. DARE is totally catchy and Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head has to be heard by everyone.

2. The Killers - Hot Fuss

For a band out of Las Vegas with a lead singer born and raised Mormon in Utah I was pleasantly surprised. Not a klinker on this album with many tracks I still sing along to on the radio. "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier." I can only hope they continue to be this good on subsequent releases.

1. Audioslave - Out of Exile

As another poster has in his profile, I've been enslaved by Chris Cornell's latest creation. This sophmore album was as good as or even better than the first. Another album I'll never tire of listening to.

[ December 22, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Out of Exile was better for the simple fact that these guys are a band this time around. Their first album, while a strong effort, came off sounding like "Chris Cornell with Rage Against the Machine as studio musicians". I love alot of Audioslave, but Exile is just such a fabulous album.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by MLPOV:
"Chris Cornell with Rage Against the Machine as studio musicians".

Even that beats 90% of the garbage played on the radio today. But I fully agree. The gelled on this album. While I loved Velvet Revolver's first album (Contraband) I don't think they'll pull off what Cornell and company has. The melding of various alt/hard rock bands into a long lasting new group.
Pov

I don't see VR lasting longer than Slash's Snake Pit... [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

And hell yeah, Chris and the gang were great on the first album-- better than the majority of their peers, as you said-- but Exile showed they have the potential to be THE significant hard rock band of their time.

Sidenote: Audioslave played a radio station-sponsored Thanksgiving show here in CT awhile back, and I overheard someone who attended saying that CC mentioned they were already done writing their THIRD album and getting ready to go into the studio.

I can't wait! [Bouncing Boy]

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

That made my day! Going to put that on my Christmas list for next year right now.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the only CD I actually bought this year, and it very well might have been last year now that I think of it, is Green Day's "American Idiot".

The music today hurts my soul.

Help me, Legion World, help me. Point me in the direction of good songs and albums. Scooter and Pov, I trust your opinions implicitly (and its very rare when Pov isn't explicit [Big Grin] ). I'll probably check out most of the songs/albums you already have there Scott...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm hard pressed to name something better than Scott's top two. I wasn't as excited by Fallout Boy, too much of that nupunk sound like Simple Plan and Bowling for Soup. I would add a couple tho'...

Brighteyes - Digital Ash in a Digital Urn
A cross between the Killers and Depeche Mode. Great 80's techno sound with smart lyrics.

Dresden Dolls - Dresden Dolls
Here's a fun cd to listen to. It's almost anti-establishent in it's diverse styles of music. It took me a few attempts to really find the good in it; but since then I haven't stopped spinning it.

Ike Reilly Assassination - Sparkle in the Finish.
The new Boss? Ike is just full of simple songs that get to ya. Not to suggest he isn't talented; but rather than go for the art of music, he's about the connection it can make. Life has ups and downs, we're here to ride them out.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knowjack
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowjack           Edit/Delete Post     
I just burned a bunch of CDs last night to give to my friends--my "Best Songs of 2005":
(no particular order)

1. HUNG UP Madonna
2. LOVE ME LIKE YOU The Magic Numbers
3. TEARS ALL OVER TOWN A Girl Called Eddy
4. I SUMMON YOU Spoon
5. KEROSENE Miranda Lambert
6. ROSES & HIPS Keren Ann
7. DIRTY HARRY Gorillaz
8. COSY IN THE ROCKET Psapp
9. GOT MY OWN THING Liz Phair
10. AN HONEST MISTAKE The Bravery
11. TENDER BUTTONS Broadcast
12. CHEWING GUM Annie
13. JACKSONVILLE Sufjan Stevens
14. JUST CAN’T GET ENOUGH Nouvelle Vague
15. THE COMEBACK Shout Out Louds
16. KING OF THE MOUNTAIN Kate Bush
17. HELICOPTER Bloc Party
18. SOME GIRLS Rachel Stevens
19. SUPPOSED TO BE Cary Brothers
20. BALL & CHAIN Martha Wainwright

One or two of these may be pre-2005, but I didn't hear them until '05!

From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Thought this might be a link of interest for this thread.

http://www.pandora.com/

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Povolero:
I don't see VR lasting longer than Slash's Snake Pit... [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [LOL]

VR's situation is simple: People were so happy that these guys were back on their feet and making music again that the band was cut an awful amount of slack. But that's over with, and if the next album doesn't knock it out of the park, the backlash will set in in earnest.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the VR album sounded like none of those guys realized it wasn't 1993 anymore...I was a huge Soundgarden fan, but I haven't gotten into Out of Exile yet. It's on the iTunes, so I imagine I'll get further along.

Best albums I listened to in 2005:

My Morning Jacket, Z: My favorite album of the moment. Unbelievable voice, great musicianship, nothing that's unoriginal.

Gwen Stefani, LAMB: Wore it OUT over the summer. I ain't no hollaback girl.

The Killers debut: Nearly perfect. They'll be hard-pressed to equal this one.

Kanye West, Late Registration: I don't listen to a lot of rap, but this is a great album. If you're one of those people who "don't get rap," try this record. So much more than the crap that sells gajillions of dollars (see: Fitty Cent), even though this one did sell like crazy.

...And You Will Know Us By Our Trail of Dead, Worlds Apart: Another album that sounds really original to me.

Gorillaz, Demon Days: Another really great sounding album. One of the only albums I liked that the thirteen year olds I teach liked too.

Biggest Disappointments:

Coldplay, X&Y: You're poised for world domination after a completely brilliant second album, and THIS is the best you can do? Fix You has got to be the worst song they've ever put out. There's letting your audience come to you and then there's pandering to the lowest common denominator, and they did the latter on much of this disc.

Foo Fighters, In Your Honor: There are about five great double albums in the history of rock'n'roll. The other eleventy million double albums are one good album with one album of mediocrity thrown in for good measure. Ditto this one.

The new Madonna: How completely boring. And the video was yuck. I'm 34 and thinking to myself, "aren't you a bit old to have your aerobicized ass hanging out of your old leotard from 1985?"

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
Coldplay, X&Y: You're poised for world domination after a completely brilliant second album, and THIS is the best you can do? Fix You has got to be the worst song they've ever put out. There's letting your audience come to you and then there's pandering to the lowest common denominator, and they did the latter on much of this disc.

Not only that, their new disc specifically states you cannot play it in DVD players, car steros or make MP3s out of it. BoingBoing story.
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
My biggest surprise of 2005 was Ryan Cabrera, the former boyfriend (although I think she was just his beard) of Ashlee Simpson. I was perfectly willing to pre-judge him based on his relationship with Ashes, and wasn't going to give him the time of day. Then I discovered he was the one singing this new song that I was loving on the radio, "This Is True."

So, it was off to Amazon to listen to some samples of the rest of his CD, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the samples. So, off to Wal-Mart I went, and purchased the CD. I really enjoyed it. He has a good voice, and the songs were really enjoyable. Alot more mature than I was expecting. I then bought his next CD, and once again loved it.

So, my apologies to Ashlee Simpson. I promise to not pre-judge her next gay boyfriend, and will give him a chance [Big Grin]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.