Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » I see London, I see France... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I see London, I see France...
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Eye

The London Eye. Now I know. thanks. [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
The London Eye is *great* It was originally planned to only be temporary, but it proved so popular that it's there indefinately. I'm not certain but I think it's one of the biggest wheels in the world. It takes a while to go round and like Numf mentioned it's worth booking in advance but it does give you some of the best views of London you'll ever see. It's not like any other ferris wheel I've ever seen, aprtailly just because of the size, but also because rather than just having little seats they have 'pods' that are really quite big and can hold up to fifteen people or so. They've even had wedding ceremonies in them in the past.

As for the French being rude... well, to a certain extent it's an unjustified stereotype for most of the country. Syre they don't take kindly to people who don't at least try to speak the language but they're no worse than anyone else really. Paris on the other hand... I think really it's like London in that respect. The people for the most part may not be outright rude but they don't have much time for anyone. They're too busy, too concerned with their own lives to really care. Some of the service personal are awful, but that's true anywhere. The people selling tickets on the Metro are the worst, but that's a huge generalisation. Maybe it's best to expect the worst and then you'll be pleasently surprised when it's not that bad. Although that being said I'm not sure how popular Americans in France are at the moment. France and the Uk have always had a bit of a love/hate relationship so we're used to it, but you never know how people are going to react really.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
Post deleted, 'cos there's an almost exact copy of the photo in the link provided previously.
From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karie
Tart!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karie   Email Karie         Edit/Delete Post     
another museum not to miss is the Victoria & Albert Museum, by the South Kensington tube station. It's free entry... and has some amazing old relics, paintings, old guns, swords, tons and tons of stuff. Plus it's right across the road from the Science and Natural History Museum, so you can spend like a whole day visiting the three of them.

Dont bother about going to the Cutty Sark, you pay an entrance fee to see a ship that's not exciting at all.

Royal Observatory is ok... just about telescopes and things, it's right by the Greenwich timeline, so I suppose that's it's real drawing card.

Another place to go to, Somerset House, near Temple tube station. There's three collections there, Gilbert (AMAZING), Hermitage, and Coultard (paintings done by Van Gogh, Monet, Ruebens). You'll have to pay entrance fee here though, there's a ticket to see all three collections, or individual.

I've worked at all these places, and Somerset House and The Victoria & Albert are the best. I've also worked at the Cabinet War Rooms, which is neat too. But if you want to see a great war museum, go to the Imperial War Museum.

Enjoy your trip!!! And when on the tube escalators, stand to the right... people egt quite huffy if you're standing on the wrong side [Smile]

From: Durban, South Africa & Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Ooh, I'd forgotten about the V&A which is a bit embaressing because it is one of my favourites of the museums in London. I also like the fact that it's collection is incredibly ecclectic, from ancient artifacts to modern fashion and stuff like that. Lots of changing exhibitions too and there's one room (possibly even a couple of rooms) which just has this collection of casts of some of the most famous statues and suchlike in the world. There's Michelangelo's David, Trajen's Column (cut up into shorter pieces so it fits into room), all kinds of stuff. IIRC it has a refit recently and I've not been since (it's a while since I went to the V&A at all) but it's worth seeing.

See that's one problem with London (even more so than Paris), there are *too many* really good galleries and museums. You really need at least half a day each to do any justice to the V&A, British Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Tate, Tate Modern, Science Museum etc. etc. etc. so you always end up missing out on something. We Brits have a bit of a reputation for haording things and nicking stuff from other countries and have had longer to do it than most so we do have rather large collections. Like I said before though what you have to do is decide what you really want to see and just aknowledge that you'll have to miss the rest. That's true to a certain extent of Paris (although as long as you do the Musee D'Orsee then you get to see the best there imho) with regards to both the art/history and the sites but even more so of London in my experience.

Course, that being said, the fact that there is so much to see and do in both cities does mean that it's very hard not to have a good time. They're both expensive and a bit grubby (although Paris sort of feels like it'd be wrong if it weren't grubby) and the people may not be the friendliest in teh world but if you just give into the tourist thing then you can't go far wrong. If you don't enjoy the first place you visit then you can pretty much guarantee the next one you will. It'll come down to personal taste but there's something for everyone in both places so it's all good. [Smile]

But if you come back to the UK again remember London isn't the onyl place to come. Manchester is fantastic, Cardiff is lovely, Edinburgh is worth a visit, Glasgow and Birmingham have their charms (and their faults, but...) and that's even before you start thinking about the slightly smaller places that are equally worth visiting like York or Oxford or Bighton or Aberdeen or Port Meirion. We may be a small country by world standards but we have an awful lot to see. (Hmm... maybe I should try getting a job at the UK Tourist Board. [Wink] )

--------------------

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
Thats the Millenium Eye it was opened in 2000 and thats it really.

I used to love going to Heaven in London if your into that sort of thing.

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions for both countries. I'll definitely try to check out as much as I can from what you guys suggested. The Eye and D'Orsay for sure now. I haven't been to Paris since I was a wee monkey nibbler so I'm treating it like my maiden trip there. I'll try to stop by here if I can. Take care and see you soon!

MEL/Kevin

From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

No probs Kevin. It's always fun giving holiday advice. Especially when it's places like London and Paris where there's so much to see that you can hardly fail to have a good time.

--------------------

Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Legionworld! Having a bloody good time, left Paris and now staying in Marble Arch/Oxford area. Thanks for the advice again. Hoping to catch the Eye and the Tate Modern and the Eye tomorrow, hopefully a musical and some sights on tuesday. went to slbum comics in france which was cool and even found a star wars exhibit at the Cite museum...cheers.
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
have fun!

[Cheers]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Have a blast MEL I am in envy!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Thanks all you guys again for all the info! Had a blast, consumed a lot of awesome culture and wine, took in musicals of Marry Poppins and Billy Elliot, spun around the London Eye, LOVED the d'Orsay, strolled around Versailles, got some French CDs, and took the metro and underground all over. Even had a bonus unexpected trip to catch a Star Wars exhibit at the Cité des Sciences museum! January was unexpectedly great because there weren't any crowds anywhere and both Paris and London had huge sales going on in their stores too...
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad to hear that you had a great time, MEL. Is that you home now, or have you further travels to make?
From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.