Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Smallville - the origin of Lex Luthor

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smallville - the origin of Lex Luthor
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Granted that Smallville is set outside of DC continuity, you'd think that the story consultants would have done their homework...Where, for example was Lex's mother in the pilot episode? And according to the comics, Lex had a younger sister, Lena - have these two characters been mentioned in the series?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
In the Smallville continuity, Lex's mother is dead, and there's no younger sister, although he had a younger brother, Julian, who is also dead.

I actually just picked up the DVDs for the first season of this recently. I've seen an episode here and there, but never watched it regularly before. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. There are certain things I really like about it, but other things that just feel really wrong. And the whole "people empowered by kryptonite" thing has grown tiresome really quickly.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
In the Smallville continuity, Lex's mother is dead, and there's no younger sister, although he had a younger brother, Julian, who is also dead.

I actually just picked up the DVDs for the first season of this recently. I've seen an episode here and there, but never watched it regularly before. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. There are certain things I really like about it, but other things that just feel really wrong. And the whole "people empowered by kryptonite" thing has grown tiresome really quickly.

Thanks, EDE, for your tidbit...By the way, did you read any of the Supergirl stories from way back? Lena Thorul had psychic powers - if this character was re-introduced on "Smallville" it would make at least two in the Luthor clan who twigged to the fact that Clark was not exactly "of this Earth"...
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
the whole kryptonite freak of the week was fine in the beginning, but i agree it grows tiresome. It also leads to the impression IMO making it look like the kryptonite is responsible for all the super powered people in the dc universe. Which would be good reason to blame superman for EVERYTHING.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't judge the series by the first season. They found their way past the "freak of the week" template eventually. There have been real rewards for sticking with it...just depends on how much patience you have. The best thing about the series has been reexamining how Clark bears the burden of his power, how he finds out his heritage, and the relationships he has with the important people in his life.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
One of the things that's really annoyed me is that Smallville seems way too large. 45,000 people isn't really a small town. It's actually incredibly unlikely that someone who goes to high school in a town of 45,000 lives on a farm. I would put Smallville at more like 4500 at most. Of course, given the rate of death, hospitalization, and institution, the population would probably be depleted really quickly...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
and would be the murder capital of america.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

I wonder if there is a script writer out there who could somehow work in a new character who doesnt get super-abilities from falling kryptonite meteors? You have to wonder when Bizarro is gonna show up... [Shudder]
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
There have been several non-metoerite supers around (Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash to name three), but the notion of Bizarro would totally fit into the Smallville world (especially since they're always showing the dark side of various cast members) - I'm surprised they havent done it yet.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.