Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Happy Birthday Dolly Parton!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Dolly Parton!
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Today, can you believe it, is the lovely Ms Parton's 60th birthday. So even though I have a sneaking suspision that she won't get to see this thread (but you never know) here's a happy birthday to her.

I love Dolly, I do. One of the greatest singers we have and always, absolutely always, comes across as being a genuinely funny, lovely and marvelous person in interviews. The world could do with more people like her. [Smile]

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
She'll be the best part of the Oscars, that's for sure! I was just watching the E True Hollywood Story on her the other night, and was once again reminded how much I love her.

Maybe when I get home tonight, I can have a DVD DollyFest to celebrate. I have 9 to 5, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Steel Magnolias on DVD [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

She was actually one of the lead items on the BBC news this morning, simply because it's her birthday and because she's up for the Oscar. I so hope she does win because, well, she'll actually bring some kind of sense of fun and light to the whole shebang. At the very least we'll get to see her perform even if she doesn't win. I just wish she'd tour over here. A couple of years back she came over and did about two nights in smaller venues to see how well tickets would sell here. As an indication that they would I found out that she was going to be here in Manchester about an hour after the tickets went on sale (with no pre-publicity of the fact) and by the time I phoned the venue they'd all gone. A dream would be to see her live at Dollywood (obviously we have the Live And Well cd and I keep meaning to buy the DVD of the same) but seeing her here would be fabulous too.

--------------------

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
A couple of months ago, one of the country music TV stations (I wanna say it was CMT) had the top 100 duets of all time. Dolly made the list several times, but she hit the #1 spot with Kenny Rogers and "Islands In The Stream." Nothing against Kenny, but she totally outshined him. She just lit up the stage with her presence. And her little improve comments during the song were just perfect [Smile]

There was also an episode of Crossroads about a year ago that featured a duet concert with Dolly and Melissa Ethridge. I never would have put them together, but was pleasantly surprised at how well they went together. They should so do a tour!

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
A couple of years ago my daughters sang "Coat of Many Colors" to my grandmother. The song was a favorite of my great-grandfather, too. There are five generations of Dolly fans in our family. Happy Birthday, Dolly.
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
One of the people who makes me proud to be a Tennessean. She has set up a wonderful book giveaway program here for kids. AND her version kicks Whitney's ass.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Couldn't agree more about teh kicking of Whitney's butt.

There was a radio documentary on BBC radio 2 a couple of weeks ago (it may still be on the website if you want to listen to it, they're very good with things like that) that was celebrating Dolly and such and in it Kenny Rodgers was talking about Islands In The Stream and how they he went in to record it with Barry Gibb and it just wasn't working. They knew it was a good song but couldn't get it to sound right and then Barry Gibb said something along the lines of 'what we need is olly Parton' to which Kenny responded 'in that case do you really need me?'. He admitted that she made the song and came down and did it in one take.

If the documentary is still there it's worth listening to just for Alsion Krauss talking about how the first time she met Dolly she had to go out of the room and cry because she was so in awe. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not a big C&W fan, but Dolly always comes across as very genuine, and a lot of fun.

Turns out that Dolly The Sheep was named after her, because she was cloned from mammary tissue.

Is there a separate birthday for, shall we say, bits that aren't quite as old as the main part?

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

He he. One of my favourite Dolly quotes (apart from the one about not knowing how long it takes to do her hair because she's never there) was when she was asked by she had her boobs done and she said that she got fed up of people asking to see her tits and having to lift up her skirt to show them. *snerk*. I do like the fact that she's so honest about her surgery though, and the fact that while she did have her boobs done it was actually just a lift rather than a resizing job. It's quote scary that someone so weeny has such huge hooters *naturally*. that's nature playing some kind of bizarre joke. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.