Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » What's your greatest movie-going experience? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's your greatest movie-going experience?
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
One that comes to my mind was the early-70's reissue of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. I'd gone to Catholic school for 4 years, and knew the story, so to see it brought to life on film-- and on a BIG screen (they just don't have 'em that big anymore, generally) was really something. And trust me-- this thing DOES NOT work as well on TV. The visual spectacle NEEDS a big screen. Plus, even in my early teens, I KNEW something was "wrong" with the rest of the film. Too much of the story had been "Hollywoodized"-- veering drastically from the book, in order to turn it into a Hollywood-style soap-opera! Some of that works in its own way-- but some of it, to me, just doesn't. (And this is considered one of Charlton Heston's best films!) The part where he's arrested and brought before the old Pharaoh in chains, accused of being a traitor, and the old guy still offers him his love, IF he'll just renounce his people... and he DOESN'T... well, considering the way the guy felt about him HE was in line for the throne, NOT the old man's own son... it just makes Moses looks STUPID beyond belief to me. Like I said, that part's NOT in the book-- or several other versions i've seen or read.

On the other hand, Vincent Price is wonderfully nasty, Edward G. Robinson (who'd later work with Heston in POTA and SOYLENT GREEN) is a watchable bastard, and Yul Brynner gets the film's best line. His wife-- who USED to be in love with Moses-- tells him to bring back his sword covered in Moses' blood. He tells her, "I shall. To mingle with YOUR OWN!"

Without the visual spectacle, all the film's major story flaws stand out much bigger on TV. this is why I wish they'd reissue old classic films to theatres more often. There's nothing like seeing a movie the way it was MEANT to be seen!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Empire Strikes Back/Return of Jedi.

Bambi. [Smile]

The Professional, The Usual Suspects, Sin City, 300, Something About Mary (when it came out I've never seen anything like that!)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
"GREASE". It is the ONLY in-theatre movie I have ever seen with my Granny.

I remember her telling me we were going, and having a good time watching it, but I can't remember HOW the circumstances came about. She was never really much of a movie-goer that I recall.

Was that 1978? I was 9-10 at the time.

I'm going to ask her if she remembers going next time I see her.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.