Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » ToyFair 2007

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ToyFair 2007
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
Some of you asked for updates on DCD's announcements this year so here we go with the earliest updates:

Figures.com WoW and Afro Samurai

Action Figure Insider Bruce Timm - SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY direct-to-DVD

Toy News International Andy Kubert Designed Batman & Son

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks much for the update. I can't wait to see what else is announced.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
My pics at this point:

WETA Collectibles - Hellgate: London and the Ray Guns are both incredible lines. The price will keep me from getting much but Goddess they look sweet.

Kotobukiya - Japanese Witchblade is a beautiful piece. I'll be getting the Manga and the comic and this piece will look great on my shelf. The GITS 2nd Gig line could be nice as well.

Hasbro - Sigma 6 offers an incredible body style but I just can't by into GI Joe in this style. That said I have bought several and the new ones have much to use as custom fodder. The 25th annv. figures look great and I may end up with 25 new Joes in my collection. Titanium offers some Battlestar Galactica ships but I think I'll wait for Diamond Selects versions.

Gentle Giant - I love the Dragon Kind line and Red Star looks great but neither truly fits into my collection so I doubt I will be getting either.

Diamond Select - Mouse Guard These are some beautiful sculpts. Stargate and Battlestar Galactica are my currant completest lines.

DC Unlimited Both World of Warcraft and Afro Samurai look great. I'm on the fence about starting these lines though.

DC Direct - The 13 line is JUNK offing an inferior body that is out of scale with all true 1:6 scale lines. We get a Helmet of Nabu from the prop line, DC Minimates (a must have), and lines like Elseworlds, JLA, IC, Batman & Son (check out Man Bat), and of course Women of the DCU Mini Busts. What really caught my eye though was the Kotobukiya Cat Woman and the Ame-Comi line. These are musts for my collection.

Dark Horse - I Love the Gremlins line, these are great representations of the WWII figures and look great on the shelf.

Mattel - I was hoping they would at least admit to their LSH toy line but we will have to wait a few months for the 'official' word. Super Friends looks cut and I'm sure it will do well. JLU continues strong and the DC Superheroes line has renewed my faith that Mass Market can offer quality product.

--------------------
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Is DC Direct done with its Looney Tunes Golden Collection line? We don't have Tweety or Marvin yet. Or have they just not been announced? I imagine not everything for a whole year is ready to show.

[ February 11, 2007, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Suddenly Seymour ]

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
My update:
Hasbro - Action Man looks to be absorbing the old A.T.O.M. line and I do love the new 8 Sigma 6 body.

Marvel Toys - Witchblade looks great as well. I just don't like the hip design used by MT. I was never a fan of ML, articulation can be taken to far, but I want to support the indy market as best I can.

Lego - I like the nod towards Gundam in the ExoForce line. Bionicle is Ok but not quite the direction I was hopping for. I did just get 2 Mindstorms NXTs and the Bionicle parts should make for some truly fun robots. How about that Falcon! it is in scale with the mini figures and has working landing gear and ramp.

Mattel- My eye was caught by the designs in Planet Heroes as well. That vehicle could be useful as custom fodder if the scale is right (Microman). Haven't heard much on what Battle League is but do we need another action figure game? WizKids did Shadowrun, far and away some of the best figures made IMO, but to costly and sold in the wrong market because it was sold as a game. Marvel Super Hero Showdown is a solid attempt at a 3.75 articulated figure (just give Takara the license) but, again, the game 'feature' makes the figure to costly.

Bleeding Edge - Oh My! Those BeGoth girls are SWEET. Thank the Goddess I have some friends who will split cases with me or costs could be outrageous.

NECA - 4HM have done well again with the NBX line and the HP figures look great. I just hope NECA didn't bite off more than they can chew when it come time to produce those figures in larger quantities than their entire output last year. Mass Market is a WHOLE new ballgame for them. 300 - Need anything more be said.

Sideshow - 1:6 scale Ripley - WITH POWER LOADER!!
quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
Is DC Direct done with its Looney Tunes Golden Collection line? We don't have Tweety or Marvin yet. Or have they just not been announced? I imagine not everything for a whole year is ready to show.

It has moved to a back burner. 52 is a much bigger hit than anyone thought and it gives DCD a framework to bring in characters that don't fit in other series. Expect to see several 52 lines announced.

--------------------
Go! Figure

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. Thanks! [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tekwych:
Bleeding Edge - Oh My! Those BeGoth girls are SWEET. Thank the Goddess I have some friends who will split cases with me or costs could be outrageous.

I made the mistake of showing Caroline those new BeGoth figures to Caroline. Now she wants the whole line. Not interested in the dolls like she has been with the previous lines. At least that will save me a little money.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the updates, Tek!

Anybody seen those Marvel Family action figs yet? They look pretty good.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

I never really did a round up of DC figures. Mattel now holds 5 licenses with DC Comics:

The DC Super Friends: Think Galactic Heroes. This is a toddler line that should include about 12 Heroes and 4-6 'bad guys' over the first 2 years. The license is for characters similar to 'Powers of the Super Friends' There is very little articulation and the figures are a bit chunky for small hands. Very cute designs but I doubt I'll pick up all of them.

DC Super Heroes: The title of this line is a little misleading. It has come out that only Batman and Superman 'families' of characters are currently allowed in this license. The 4 Horsemen designs for these characters show their attention to detail and their study of the various artists that have come before. They have done an incredible job interpreting these characters and offering new designs that pay homage to the past and offer great new thoughts as well. Many collectors are begging Mattel and DC to expand this line to include the entire DCM as the articulation and sculpt are as good or better than DC Direct. My biggest complaint is distribution, these figures are coming out with more repaints and reissues than new figures in the most resent waves. I hope this does not end up being the fiasco that Mattel's He-Man was

Battle League: Think Hero Clix or Attackix. These are 2" figures on a game base covering the entire DCM. The figure base will actually move the figure forward to attack automatically and many will have an action feature or the ability to 'fire' their weapon. The line will include starter kits with 4 figures, boosters with 2 figures and a deluxe set of the Batmobile. There should be 25-30 figures in this first wave, all designed and sculpted by the 4 Horsemen. The boxes will convert to scale buildings to give your Heroes a 3D cityscape to battle across.

An note on these three lines. The license for all three require that the figures are NOT based on any single previous design. Mattel must develop new versions of any characters rather than offer a distinctive (insert artist name here) version.

Justice League Unlimited: Based on the Cartoon Network series JLU has been going strong for several years now. The license allows any character that appeared on screen in the series so there is room for another 2-3 years on this series. While I doubt that we will see them because of a certain new line, The LSH characters for the 4th season are possible.

The Batman: Based on the cartoon this line has been very strong, capturing the style in 3D and offering great figures without letting action features or gimmicks get in the way (much). This could be a template for Mattel to offer other DC Comic based cartoon lines latter this year. [Big Grin]

Legion Of Super Heroes: I have seen Mattel's hand painted prototypes but was not allowed to take ANY pictures. These have NOT been approved by DC and have NOT got a green light from Mattel. IF they do move forward with this line it will be announced late fall with the shows 2nd season. I will say this, SAVE YOUR MONEY, this line will be worth it!!

--------------------
Go! Figure

Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

For those that are interested in Japanese culture and Manga / Anime Winter Wonderfest is similar to ToyFair and was held this week. This is the first western coverage of this year's show. Be warned their culture is much more open about sexuality.

--------------------
Go! Figure

doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Cool stuff, Tekwych. Thanks. I love the Superfriends! (I'm a sucker for the distorted/juvenile stuff). Their Batmobile is a LOT cooler than many other versions of the last few years. The Justice League line remains the crack of action figures. I cannot get enough of those...for the 4-year old, of course.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
...for the 4-year old, of course.

Or the 40+ year old, like me [Razz] [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Go! Figure

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Thanks, Tekwych. The Superfriends line looks pretty cute/cool, though I wish they'd included Wonder Woman in the first wave.

Can't wait for the Legion figures. I forgot to grab Wizard's magazine. Did they apologize for not having the preview they promised?

--------------------
Geek Watch

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
Can't wait for the Legion figures. I forgot to grab Wizard's magazine. Did they apologize for not having the preview they promised?

I pre-ordered it and a few other toy mags that were supposed to feature the Legion, or at least hinted they would, due to the ToyFair. I guess it isn't their fault but they shouldn't solicit content that stands a good chance of not appearing.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.