Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » mllash's Fall Comedy TV Predictions Fandango (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: mllash's Fall Comedy TV Predictions Fandango
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
As is well-known, I likes my comedies. And I've been watching preview episodes on Hulu. What new comedies this year will be the next COMMUNITY or SUBURGATORY for me? Here's what I've got so far:

ANIMAL PRACTICE: I rather enjoyed it! The premise was very cute and the characters were engaging. It had a SCRUBS-esque appeal (only with adorable animals added!).

Prediction: Because of the premise (and the network- NBC), ANIMAL PRACTICE will not make it a full season, which based on the pilot episode is a shame.

THE MINDY PROJECT: While it wasn't the nonstop sheer brilliance I was expecting, it DID have its moments, and Mindy Kaling's appeal to me remains as high as it did on The Office.

Prediction: FOX has built a pretty good comedy block with NEW GIRL and RAISING HOPE, and this should fit in nicely with those shows. Combined with FOX no longer being QUITE as cancellation-happy as they used to be, I think THE MINDY PROJECT will have legs for the full season, especially if the post-pilot episodes grow in quality.

THE NEW NORMAL: The most solid pilot I've seen yet, and I went into this ready to pounce unmercifully on every little thing. A couple of the more stereotypical elements DID seem almost over the top and did grate on me just a tad, but overall, this was VERY enjoyable.

Prediction: This is going to be a hard-sell to many people and an easy sell to others. Ellen Barkin's racist, bigot character will be the breakout star, with the blonde African-American lady (sorry, I don't know names yet!) a close second place. *I* think... this will be NBC's most successful new comedy of the season. Ryan Murphy has a great track record with GLEE and AMERICAN HORROR STORY. I predict THE NEW NORMAL will be yet another gay-friendly notch on his bedpost of successful shows.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Animal Practice...Okay. could be a lot worse.

Mindy Project...eh, not so much for me.

New Normal: another eh.

Not seeing a lot of new stuff I'm interested in. Go On with Matthew Perry seems like another dud like Mr. Sunshine. Problem is, he keeps playing a smartass Chandler, but doesn't have the casts around him to take the nasty, sarcastic edge off.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
There are a couple of NON-comedies that caught my attention when they were announced. One was the country music Dynasty/Dallas night-time soap NASHVILLE and the other, whose pilot episode I just watched:

REVOLUTION: Set in a world where NO POWER exists anymore-- batteries, engines, electric-- nothing. Or DOES it??

This has the potential to wins fans of LOST and THE WALKING DEAD and post-apocalypse fans in general. I was pretty engaged throughout the entire episode, especially with the twists at the end.

Prediction: It's already got a strike against it just being a new series on NBC. But I predict enough fans from each of the 3 shows/genres I named above will combine together to find REVOLUTION a full-season audience.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Gonna have to check that one out on Demand Lashie...or Hulu.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

All of these pilot episodes are available on HULU... assuming they still allow free views without subscribing to Hulu-PLUS...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

GO ON: Matthew Perry must seek therapy to get over the death of his wife; the group contains a lot of lovable people dealing with tragedy to varying degrees.

I found the pilot to be a fairly good balance between moving and charming. Seems to have the potential to become a good ensemble with 2 distinct settings (and groups of castmembers)-- Perry's job and his therapy.

Prediction: It's on NBC (considered by many to be a NOT good thing these days). While I enjoyed the pilot, I am just not sure the idea of group therapy for a tragedy is built to last. I mean, is this still going to be the plot in the hypothetical Season 4 of GO ON? If I'm being totally honest, I don't think the show will last a full season.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I noticed today the gays on Facebook are hurling white-hot hatred in the direction of THE NEW NORMAL. I knew having one of the guys be on the nelly side was going to piss off the militant gays.

Here's an example:

-

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Go on...can keep going. Sorry, it just didn't seem that good.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
"Go On" kinda reminds me of "Dear John" but more Matthew Perry-y. I think the show tries a little too hard to be earnest, (the old blind black guy can "hear the basketball game" better than Perry can see it? ok... life lesson of the day - check!) but so did "Friends" when it started. [Wink] ...

Assuming the show lasts at all, I think it's going to find a hard time showcasing both aspects of his life - one is going to give. I imagine he'll end up hiring one of the people in his group, maybe living with another and date that group leader. The rest will be gone.

And Sulu has got to have better things to do than this... (maybe playing 4th fiddle on a sitcom is just a good side-job between Treks...)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Takei does, he has a play that's getting off the ground, it's about the Japanese internment of WWII. He's on facebook, and he's effin hi-damn-larious on it. Oh my!

--------------------

Something pithy!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Ginormous ratings for the REVOLUTION premiere:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/18/revolution-ratings/

The trick will be, apparently, maintaining anywhere near that level.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

ANIMAL PRACTICE, THE NEW NORMAL and GO ON *all* debut to higher-than-expected ratings, temporarily making NBC the # 1 network (it is usually # 4). But will it continue once ALL the networks are up and running?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/18/nbc-fall/

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

I gotta say..I'm not really looking forward to any of the new shoes. And only a very few of the returning ones, like NCIS, Castle, Cougartown, Big bang theory.

Eureka is gone now.
Warehouse 13 now seems to be about Artie and Claudia over Pete and Mika.
hell, I can't find new eps of Mythbusters.
I wouldn't watch the 'reality' shows with a gun to my head.

Just doesn't seem to be much out there for me anymore.

--------------------

Something pithy!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Bah! Nonsense-- we will find you some shows! It's Carol who is the Walking Dead fan, right? Not you. Hmm... you don't strike me as the type who would enjoy my new fave supernatural drama The Vampire Diaries, either.

Let's make a deal-- give ANIMAL PRACTICE a shot. Maybe I'm nuts, but I think the potential is great here. I mean c'MON, there's a MONKEY in a lab coat!!! How can this NOT appeal to the SCRUBS/COUGAR TOWN fan in you?? I'm asking you as a friend to at least watch the next new episode with me and we can go from there [Smile]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

GUYS WITH KIDS: Jimmy Fallon produces; 3 friends/Dads and the kids who make them crazy.

This laugh-track-a-thon seemed almost like a throwback to the 90s to me. I actually semi-struggled to get through the pilot. However-- I did have a major LOL when the character played by Tempestt Bledsoe cracks up with her husband about them not having anything and therefore neither do their kids. It struck me as weirdly funny! I rather disliked a couple of the other main characters.

Prediction: I dunno. It might play with the crowd who has made shows such as 3 and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory (AKA shows that I cannot understand the popularity of) successful. I'm going to give it at least one more episode to hook me, based on the above scene I mentioned.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.