Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Should I or Shouldn't I? A Facebook political question. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Should I or Shouldn't I? A Facebook political question.
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Politics is very passionate, and those among us who feel their rights would be trampled on by one party can be appalled and hurt when watching people we love support said party.

I think I get BB's first point, though - why did the son resort to writing an open letter, when he could have written a private one or had a face-to-face talk? Not only could the father have found it offensive (and likely ignored the message even more), but the wording can be found inflammatory by some.

We're all entitled to be upset if the opinions of our loved ones differ from ours, especially when it seems they support those who would limit our own rights. It's how we try to handle that hurt that can affect how our loved ones see (or fail to see) our point of view.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
[Quote]..."Marriage" I don't really feel the government should be performing marriages so most of the rest of that debate is moot to me. Government cannot stop people from performing a religious rite. The remainder of the debate is more about the business aspect of marriage, not the love aspect. I don't feel government should have a role in that either, beyond contract law. I don't believe government should be forcing businesses to provide services to someone just because they are "married." I don't believe "married" people should be treated as anything other than two individuals, from a government POV...

Honestly, since most people who oppose same-sex marriage aren't out there opposing benefits for opposite-sex couples in the name of "fairness," I don't think this point is relevant to the original comments.

I'm not writing this to defend Obama, who I frankly can't stand and never could stand. (And I won't be voting for Romney, either.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome46:
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
[Quote]..."Marriage" I don't really feel the government should be performing marriages so most of the rest of that debate is moot to me. Government cannot stop people from performing a religious rite. The remainder of the debate is more about the business aspect of marriage, not the love aspect. I don't feel government should have a role in that either, beyond contract law. I don't believe government should be forcing businesses to provide services to someone just because they are "married." I don't believe "married" people should be treated as anything other than two individuals, from a government POV...

Honestly, since most people who oppose same-sex marriage aren't out there opposing benefits for opposite-sex couples in the name of "fairness," I don't think this point is relevant to the original comments.

I'm not writing this to defend Obama, who I frankly can't stand and never could stand. (And I won't be voting for Romney, either.)

The part you didn't snip was the part where I intimated it's intent wasn't relevance but what I thought the person I was responding to might have been wanting to know.

Opinions generally come from somewhere. The opinion was relevant. It's source maybe not but I provided it since the poster was requesting to "be clear."

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[shrug]

Have it your way. I don't want to pursue this any further in this thread because I don't want to start defending a bunch of politicians that I really don't like. Yeah, it does stink that he feels estranged from his family. Maybe he just wanted some catharsis on the matter because it's been bothering him for a long time. I don't think he's a bad person for wanting that. I vent in my own online spaces all the time.

Quis, I hope you're doing all right. :/

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
Your best bet is to NOT be friends with family members on Facebook. It has served me very well.

Too late. And you really can't unfriend family.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
you can start a second FB page and invite your non-family friends to migrate there.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
b r i l l i a n t ...

I want to do that ... starting now! [Big Grin]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
(is waiting patiently for the new invites from people who'll do that)

An easy way to do that is to create an event using your current account, then paste the link of your new Facebook page there. It saves you the trouble of inviting people one by one. Just make sure to make the event invite-only AND private/secret [Razz]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:
Your best bet is to NOT be friends with family members on Facebook. It has served me very well.

It's easier than you might think. You unfriend, Then You "block" them and *IF* they ever bring it up, you say you grew weary of Facebook [Smile]

OR, you be honest about your new "no family on Facebook" policy.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Good things come to those who wait. Here's the solution, Quis. Just post a link to this on your Facebook.

Wrong Direction

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:

It's easier than you might think. You unfriend, Then You "block" them and *IF* they ever bring it up, you say you grew weary of Facebook [Smile]

OR, you be honest about your new "no family on Facebook" policy.

Just tell them that Lash said so.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.