Legion World
does anyone own any 'Legion' original artwork ??

i have two pieces currently:

an ULTRABOY page by Matt Haley it wasn't actually used in an issue, though !! he said it was for an INVENTORY issue ?? not sure what one of those, is ....

my second one is page 14 of 'LEGIONNAIRES' #80, and i got it off Olivier Coipel when i met him last year [ in PARIS ]

i've included a photo, hopefully it's not too BIG !!?? [ not sure how to make them smaller ?? ]

[Linked Image]

so what do you own ??

Matthew.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/09/03 02:14 AM
I've got two pieces that were used in the first Mayfair sourcebook for the Legion, one of Garth and one of Imra. Surprisingly they are identical to the poses that Steve Lightle did for issue #11 of the third series but he claims he did not due them for the sourcebook and the credit was to an in-house artist for DC, no signature.

I also own a couple of color separations from the same series, one being the cover to Different Paths (issue #55) with Querl, Mysa, Nura and Blok on the cover. And I have two interior watercolored pages from the Genesis mini-series from 1997 with Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl featured. I want some more real art (like your Olivier page) but eBay's prices go way too high for me.
Posted By: macrab2 Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/09/03 02:44 AM
This is a topic I can really get into, I can't wait for the replys.

I have a bunch of Swan Legion pages including an adult Legion splash... I own about forty Cockrum Legion pages including a complete story... I have a bunch of Sherman pages and a Sherman/Rubinstein cover...I have a bunch of Giffen interiors..an Ordway "Tales" cover..some Lightle pages...a bunch of Swan Legion commissions...and some other stuff.

Is Miki here, I'd love to see his list smile

Mike

Mike
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/09/03 02:53 AM
Originally posted by macrab2:
This is a topic I can really get into, I can't wait for the replys.

I have a bunch of Swan Legion pages including an adult Legion splash... I own about forty Cockrum Legion pages including a complete story... I have a bunch of Sherman pages and a Sherman/Rubinstein cover...I have a bunch of Giffen interiors..an Ordway "Tales" cover..some Lightle pages...a bunch of Swan Legion commissions...and some other stuff.

Is Miki here, I'd love to see his list smile

Mike

Mike
Wow! Now that is a list! A full story. How did you manage that?

As for Miki, he should just open up an original art musuem with all the pages he's gotten ahold of.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/09/03 08:32 AM
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
... an ULTRABOY page by [b]Matt Haley it wasn't actually used in an issue, though !! he said it was for an INVENTORY issue ?? not sure what one of those, is .... [/b]
I'm about 80% sure that an "inventory issue" is basically a "fill-in" story -- something that's a stand-alone the editors can plop in whenever they have trouble meeting a deadline with the regular art team.

What was going on in the page you got from Haley? When was it done? Did he tell you what the issue was about?
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
[b]... an ULTRABOY page by [b]Matt Haley it wasn't actually used in an issue, though !! he said it was for an INVENTORY issue ?? not sure what one of those, is .... [/b]
I'm about 80% sure that an "inventory issue" is basically a "fill-in" story -- something that's a stand-alone the editors can plop in whenever they have trouble meeting a deadline with the regular art team.

What was going on in the page you got from Haley? When was it done? Did he tell you what the issue was about? [/b]
i got the page off 'E-Bay' and Matt Haley was the seller !!! i asked him a few questions about the page, like what was it for etc .... he didn't really reply to any of them, though !!!

the page features ULTRABOY standing against a bar and he's surrounded by 4 costumed 'villains' and he's standing there with a 'bring it on' attitude !!!

it's a cool picture !!!

Matthew.
Posted By: Healex Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/31/03 01:29 AM
Hello Guys,
I have a couple of Legion pages... I have one of Shady and Mon-el finding Darkseid's tomb...that was the issue before the Great Darkness Saga. The other page is a Giffen page done a few issue's later. When Shady, Tinya and Jo were blasted on un-concious. I think I paid about $20 each for them, right after the issues came out.
I have a pen and Ink of Infectious Lass that Dave Cockrum did, and a White Witch that Bob McLeod did.
The sad thing is I want more.... laugh
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/31/03 02:56 AM
I just own one Legion page, a Jeff Moy LEGIONNAIRES page featuring Lyle and Vi. I've also gotten Lyle and Ayla sketches from him at cons.
Posted By: Omni Craig Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 08/11/03 04:10 PM
I've only got one Legion page, and it's from the TMK era. It's Devlin O'Ryan and the SW6 Violet talking about why the world needs heroes. It's a nice message, and was only $10 (thanks Al Gordon!)
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 09/03/03 05:28 AM
I don't own it, but I found this sketch of Andromeda by Stuart Immonen online and thought I'd share. It's a beaut!
[Linked Image]

lil'rhino
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 09/29/03 03:13 PM
Soon as I have a place to host pics, I'll post my Sprouse Ultra Boy/Apparition, and Moy Ultra Boy con sketches.
Posted By: Greybird Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 09/29/03 08:09 PM
These are my three original Legion production-art pages. The scans are small, since I used the ones made for the original auction or sale, but you can see who's in them. Especially those wings ...

From left to right: original drawing of Dawnstar and her parents by James Sherman for "Who's Who in the DC Universe" 1, 1985 (also signed a second time by Sherman); "LSH" v2 n282 p10, by Jim Janes; "LSH" v3 n23 p12, by Steve Lightle.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: icefire Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 10/05/03 03:36 PM
Grey, those are great, Thanks for sharing!!!!Cutie!!!
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 10/07/03 08:32 PM
Just this weekend I got page 17 from legion 21. Some great Shikari and Senor images from Batista and Mark Farmers inks.

Sorry, I dont have a scanner but if I can find a freind with a digital camera I'll try to put an image up

I really love this page. It looks great up on the wall.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 12/17/03 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Healex:
Hello Guys,
I have a couple of Legion pages... I have one of Shady and Mon-el finding Darkseid's tomb...that was the issue before the Great Darkness Saga. The other page is a Giffen page done a few issue's later. When Shady, Tinya and Jo were blasted on un-concious. I think I paid about $20 each for them, right after the issues came out.
I have a pen and Ink of Infectious Lass that Dave Cockrum did, and a White Witch that Bob McLeod did.
The sad thing is I want more.... laugh
Healex, don't know if you are still hanging around or not but did you just try to sell this page? From your description it sounds like a page that was just up on eBay for $149.99.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 12/17/03 04:00 PM
Just picked up another Feister original. The preliminary drawing, inked, of the Dream Crime cover that featured Dreamer. But I think this one shows Tinya instead. It'll go with the prelim I have of the Imra one.

As soon as I get the piece I'll post a pic of it and the Imra one I recently won. Then I need to find a way to scan the original page art I bought that features Legion World.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 12/29/03 10:56 PM
My latest purchases are a page from Legionnaires Annual #1, the Authurian Elseworlds story. Having not read the issue I'm sure the page I bought spotlights Mekt and not Garth but it does show Cos getting the snot beat out of him so it was worth it. laugh

The other is a color guide to Karate Kid #12, the end splash page showing a Silver Age Legion team of Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Chameleon Boy, Sun Boy and Colossal Boy. And Val has Superboy in a headlock.
Posted By: JR Loflin Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/15/04 03:50 AM
YAY, ME!!! Today was my birthday (still is for another ten minutes or so) and my brother bought me a page of Coipel Legion art! Yessir, I am the proud owner of Legion #7, Page 12, featuring the lovely Salu Digby in outrageous over-sized action and looking as adorable as ever!!! Okay, it's not really a surprise since he gave me the money and I picked it out myself, but I finally get to hold it in my own hands, and I'm pleased as punch to do so! smile
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/15/04 06:10 PM
Congrats on the acquisition Pex. It can be addictive, collecting original work. But they are great to have.

And Happy Birthday!
Posted By: JR Loflin Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/15/04 09:33 PM
Thanks, LL smile

My next goal is a Jeff Moy Legion piece...but I believe he's sold out of Legion pages at his official website. Maybe if he starts taking commissions again soon, I might try to get one. It's not the same as an actual comics page, but it's still pretty cool! wink
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/16/04 04:18 AM
My next one will be a Chip Wallace original. I've commissioned a Lightning Lad piece from him.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/16/04 04:56 PM
For those with deeper pockets than mine, here is an original Legion piece by Dave Cockrum currently up for bid on eBay.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/16/04 05:38 PM
And for those with bankrolls bordering on the size of Bill Gates', here is an original page by Curt Swan from Superboy #117 featuring Invisible Kid, Element Lad, Ultra Boy and Superboy.
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:
YAY, ME!!! Today was my birthday (still is for another ten minutes or so) and my brother bought me a page of Coipel Legion art! Yessir, I am the proud owner of Legion #7, Page 12, featuring the lovely Salu Digby in outrageous over-sized action and looking as adorable as ever!!! Okay, it's not really a surprise since he gave me the money and I picked it out myself, but I finally get to hold it in my own hands, and I'm pleased as punch to do so! smile
Happy Birthday !!! and congrats on getting the COIPEL artwork !!!

i'd like to buy somemore [ but can't afford it at the moment .... ]

Matthew.
Posted By: macrab2 Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/17/04 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
And for those with bankrolls bordering on the size of Bill Gates', here is an original page by Curt Swan from Superboy #117 featuring Invisible Kid, Element Lad, Ultra Boy and Superboy.
I was offered all three of these Superboy pages as part of a potential trade deal. I just have one problem w/ them...the characters on these pages are not real legionnaires. They're members of an alternate Legion from another dimension !! For the price, I expect the real deal (I think I really have some fanboy issues smile ). Artwise, though, these are BEAUTIFUL twice-up Swan/Klein pages.

Mike
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/23/04 01:26 PM
bump

This was the fourth topic on the former Trophy Room forum.
Posted By: Autochef Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 02/24/04 10:06 PM
Most of my LSH original art is pages featuring Kent Shakespeare . I used to own a Stuart Immonen page from the v.4 era, when Kono trips Devlin O'Ryan in a Talus HQ hallway, but I sold it to a friend.

(That same friend has a Giffen page from the Subs Special that has a giant Computo saying "ENTER!" He framed it and put it on the door to his office.)

I also have a Colleen Doran page from the final issue of Valor where he's trying to remember his origin ("Trapped until a battle between Lobo and Darkseid--" "--No, it was the S.C.P.A.--" ... "Isle of Avalon--" "--Frozen in an iceberg--" "--Cursed to sleep on my sixteenth birthday until--"). It's a great commentary on retcons.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 03/01/04 07:16 AM
Hey Matt,
Here's a page currently on sale at The Artist\'s Choice !
[Linked Image]

lil'rhino
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 03/01/04 07:20 AM
Here's a page I just got in the mail!
[Linked Image]

lil'rhino
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 03/02/04 03:58 AM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Here's a page I just got in the mail!
[Linked Image]

lil'rhino
Aarrgh!! That was supposed to be my page! I'd been talking to Tony about buying it when he suddenly told me all their pages were sent to The Artist's Choice. So the instant I got his message I sent an e-mail to Spencer requesting the page but it was already gone.

But at least it went to someone I know has a love for the Legion. And a friend. That helps. Now if Chris will only release those pages from Legion #20, especially page 17 with Garth and Imra in the hydroponic area.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 03/02/04 04:00 AM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Hey Matt,
Here's a page currently on sale at The Artist\'s Choice !
[Linked Image]

lil'rhino
Matthew, my offer still stands. If there is something at The Artist's Choice you want, let me know and I'll gladly mail it to you. I know Spencer doesn't take PayPal or ship overseas.
thanks for the heads up, lil'rhino !!!

and the offer, Scott !!!

i'll go check out the price of this ......

Matthew.
Posted By: Monkey Eater Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 03/22/04 07:46 AM
Guess what I got cool :
[Linked Image]
I met Todd and his really nice wife Dawn at Wizard World LA this weekend and picked up this from Legends of the Legion 4. I talked with both of them for like an hour on all sorts of stuff from his new book Wildguard to reality tv and Halloween costumes. I also got this Matter-Eater Lad sketch which you can see in the convention sketch thread.
hey that's cool MELad !!!

i love TODD's artwork !!! you must be very pleased !!!

Matthew.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/21/05 06:22 AM
Page 20 of issue #5 by Barry Kitson is for sale . (Not my auction, BTW.)
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/21/05 01:24 PM
Interesting, he lowered the price. He had that up last week for £70.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/21/05 01:28 PM
In fact I got this page from the same seller last week:

click to enlarge
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/21/05 10:41 PM
And it was waiting for me when I got home tonight.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/21/05 10:42 PM
COOL! I really need to think about collecting original pages. I spend enough time drooling over the ones I see at the Con.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/21/05 10:47 PM
I just have to tell myself to stick to my original plan. For now just pages that feature Garth(with the exception of the original Legion World pages). Maybe later I can expand beyond that but for now it is enough.
Posted By: profh0011 Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/22/05 05:36 AM
Years back, editor Karen Berger sent pages of original art to fans who'd had fan mail printed (or,, was it just sent in fan mail?). I got 2 pages by Keith Giffen from his 2nd run with Levitz-- the ones inked by Mike DeCarlo, early #50's. I'd have to look up exactly which ones.

I also have a Paris Cullins BLUE DEVIL page, which he gave me one day after finishing a sketch I paid him for. What a nice guy!

In addition, I have 2 pages of John Blackburn COLEY art, which he sent me when I bought all 3 of his limited-edition hardbound books containing his character's earliest adventures.

And finally, I have a Flint Henry GRIMJACK page-- and a very special one, too-- the one where Twilley "makes it" with the sorceress Layla (who was based on CHER!!!). Oddly enough, this is so far the ONLY piece of original comic-book art I actually PAID for-- and as my grandmother on my Dad's side (who passed away before I was ever born) might have proudly said, I "Jew'd" the price down on that one. But Flint's a cool (if weird!) guy. He said I was probably his #1 fan!
Posted By: SouthtownKid Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/25/05 03:51 AM

an ULTRABOY page by [b]Matt Haley
it wasn't actually used in an issue, though !! he said it was for an INVENTORY issue ?? not sure what one of those, is ....

my second one is page 14 of 'LEGIONNAIRES' #80, and i got it off Olivier Coipel when i met him last year [ in PARIS ]

i've included a photo, hopefully it's not too BIG !!?? [ not sure how to make them smaller ?? ]

[Linked Image]

so what do you own ??

Matthew. [/b]
w00t! That's my lettering (nobody notices lettering...)

There were so many of his pages I would've loved to have held onto... every one of his issues blew me away...
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/25/05 05:13 AM
Wait! How'd I miss this? !?

Welcome Wes. If you want to give us your last name, I'd love to add you to the Visionary list. And maybe you can give us a checklist of your work. I remember liking the lettering from those issues you listed (no lie). Are you working on any comic series currently?
Posted By: SouthtownKid Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/25/05 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Wait! How'd I miss this? !?

Welcome Wes. If you want to give us your last name, I'd love to add you to the Visionary list. And maybe you can give us a checklist of your work. I remember liking the lettering from those issues you listed (no lie). Are you working on any comic series currently?
Hi...thanks! My last name's Abbott. It's flattering, but I don't know how much I desrve to be up there with Cockrum, Lightle, Kitson, and the rest...

It was a fun book to letter though, and fun to be involved with the Legion in any capacity. Little things like captions modeled after the omnicom, and creating drop caps for location captions modeled after the letters of the reboot LSH logo (well, the logo that started just before the reboot on issue #54)... and of course, trying not to drool on the artwork each month (although if I remember right, we switched to digital paste up at some point during Batista's run, where I just worked from scans).

As for checklist, I worked on LSH and Legionnaires 1,000,000, part of the Titans/Legion 'Universe Ablaze' mini series, LSH and Legionnaires from 'Legion of the Damned' until the end of both series, Legion Lost 1-12, Legion Worlds 1-6 (front stories, and some back up stories. I really enjoyed these...), and the Legion 1-24 (although I think there might have been one in there I didn't letter, and sometimes a studiomate would pitch in when we hit a rush).

For other comic lettering, I've done too many to list... just about every Marvel and DC character at some point...

Currently, I've just finished penciling/inking/lettering/coloring the second issue of a comic book for the band Coheed and Cambria, and I'm in the middle of writing and drawing a 180-page book for Tokyopop, called 'Dogby Walks Alone'. It's about a theme park mascot who solves mysteries... hopefully ready for next year's San Diego con.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 07/25/05 08:01 PM
Thanks! I've made you a mod of the Visionary forum (you can set up polls, edit/delete other people's posts, close topics, open topics, feature topics, move topics - not that you need to, just that you can.) Feel free to add to your checklist as new projects happen and so that we can buy them. smile

If you have a website, we can feature that in the heading of that forum as well. Thanks!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 09/24/05 05:16 AM
Page 7 from TotLSH #320 featuring art by Dan Jurgens. Yours for only $375.00.

eBay
Posted By: baycent54 Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 09/24/05 03:59 PM
Got two pages of Legion art, from Legion #263. These are pages 20 and 23, both featuring (who else?) Dawnstar.
Always on the lookout for more though!
Posted By: Ultra Boy Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 09/24/05 04:40 PM
Now this is my kind of thread. smile

One of my favorite all time pages that I have.

Superboy 172 page 5 by George Tuska March, 1971.

Enjoy!

click to enlarge

LLLater!

Chad

[EDIT: Made into thumbnail. smile ]

PS - Thanks for the thumbnail!
Posted By: wayniac5 Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 10/13/05 03:10 AM

Matthew.
I own sevral...

I own 3 pages from Legionnaires #1 by sprouse (6,8,14)

I own the jason pearson cover to the Giffen post gap story ( the one with the dead statues falling leaves [iss number escapes me now]) and Baxter series #63 cover by lightle.

I also Own unsued Saturngirl Pinup art by Bendis ( before he was a writer).

and another by Gene HA.

Giffen/kitson page form the baxter annual

Giffen ernie colon page cantg remember teh issue

Coleen doran Valor/glorith pages feature sevreal LSH'rs

Sketchbook that's bulging...
Travis Charest, MIgnola, cockrum,moy,jill thompson, Darry Banks (my sketch got him his job at DC. funny story I'll tell ya sometime)Kitson,john mcrea,terry dodson, etc etc
Posted By: Ultra Boy Re: 'Legion' Original Artwork !! - 10/16/05 05:41 AM
wayniac5,

Welcome aboard.

How bout some images?? smile

LLLater!
© Legion World