Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/08/24 04:48 PM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/08/24 04:45 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:54 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:53 PM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Ann Hebistand - 06/08/24 07:31 AM
Pattern Recognition
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:10 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 01:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Duo Damsel or Duplicate Damsel
#602575 08/13/09 01:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
[b]Plus can anyone think of a new and interesting use of this power that hasn't been done already?
If she's holding an object when she duplicates/multiplies, she could have the power to duplicate the object as well. It works for her clothes and flight ring, why not for anything else? However, I wouldn't extend it to life forms, only inanimate objects. [/b]
I pictured her in Science Police riot gear, with a large shield, armor and a stun device, quickly multiplying in row after row.
The shield (and her body) would push people down or over and she could stun them.
Pretty effective, in my mind, anyway.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#602576 08/13/09 04:07 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Except Madrox's power of unlimited duplicates really does precede Duplicate Damsel.
As do the powers of the Marvel characters Timeshadow and Flashback, and the DC characters Multiplex and Silent Majority. It's not the most common power out there, but Lu was first was the first duplicator, even if she could only split into three dupes.

Plus can anyone think of a new and interesting use of this power that hasn't been done already?
1) Her power internalizes. She no longer creates duplicates at all, but calls up additional resources within herself, doubling her strength, resilience, intellect, etc. every couple of seconds as she summons up more of herself. There is no physical sign of her doing this, but it wears off quickly and requires a bit of focus, so she doesn't wander around pumped up to 100x strength. Her power remains multiplicative in nature, but becomes more of a massive boost-self effect.

2) She develops the ability to retain her triplicate strength, endurance, intellect, etc. while in single form. She can still split into three completely normal Carggites, or go into the form of one that's three times tougher than expected. She becomes more of a combat junkie, being three times stronger, faster, smarter, etc. than a normal woman of her abilities.

3) She develops the ability to create and re-absorb duplicates at range (pretty rare, even among this rare power set). What sort of range? Sight, perhaps, allowing her to cross distances quickly (create a dupe as far away as she can see her, then have that dupe absorb her, then do it again. Pop. Pop. Pop.). She may also be able to re-absorb them so fast that they can't really die, with even those apparently shredded by an explosion just 'letting go' of their current hold on the physical plane and 'going home' to Lu instead of dying.

4) Her dupes become solidified ectoplasmic creations, appearing like flesh and blood, but being all contiguous matter within. She literally becomes Fodder Lass, throwing disposable non-people at a problem. (Note that I don't actually love that idea, just throwing it out there.)

5) She goes all quantum, and no longer calls up duplicates of herself in this universe, but duplicates of herself from other quantum realities, and / or other points in the Multiverse. The Earth 1 'Lone Lass' (who lost one self to Computo and one to the Time Trapper) can now call up the Threeboot Lu or the Reboot Trijutsu Lu or any of a dozen other unknown Lu's from other quantum realities, some of which might have other powersets, other appearances or be otherwise surprisingly different (a non-humanoid Carggite from Universe-23 or Duplicate Dude from Universe-41 or Decimal Lass, who can create nine duplicates of herself, from Universe-10, for instance). She becomes the living bridge between the Legions of Three Worlds (and others besides), as she can call up and coordinate multiversal team activities between many different Legions of Super-heroes.

6) Similar quantum dealie, only she summons single duplicates at a time, each of which represents a 'path not taken.' Most of them look like Lu, but have radically different powersets, making her a kind of 'Dial H for Hero' or 'Ben 10' sort of character, able to call up other super-powered avatars. Unlike those two, she doesn't necessarily *turn into* a different superhero, but, like Aladdin with his lamp, just calls them up. "Oh no, we need someone with the power to turn all this radiaoctive fallout into pure water! Luckily, the Luornu Duorgu of quantum plane 715423 was born on Trom, and can do that!"

7) Her duplicates become mentally linked, even across potentially unlimited distances, and she often has one self stationed in Metropolis, and another on a mission, and another on Legion World, or whatever, so that no matter the situation, the Legion is always in real-time contact with each other. (Kind of a moot power on a team with apparently infinite range flight-ring communication, but it would have been spiffy back in the day...)

8) She takes up riot squad / advanced teamwork training (and becomes the official team hand to hand and team tactics trainer for the team, since 'Karate Kid may be able to make you the best solo fighter in the galaxy, but only *I* can make you the best *team* player...'). Armed with body armor, a stun baton and an expanding bracer that turns into a shield, she uses 'wolf tactics' on lone foes, with the one in front of them fighting defensively and keeping him busy, while the other two go for the legs or attack from behind. When the poor fool turns to face the one hitting him, she goes defensive, while the others get in their cheap shots. Like lions pulling down an elephant, she wears her targets down, and she serves as a combat trainer for the rest of the team, showing them how to coordinate their own attacks (knocking foes into other teammates attacks, intercepting attacks aimed at allies, etc.). Her powers change not at all, she just decides to use training (and gear) to reach a higher potential. The Legion code says nothing about using gadgets (see Flight Rings, Transsuits, Telepathic Earplugs and Force Field Belts), just that the member has to have an actual super-power that doesn't come from a device.

9) She becomes able to use her power on others. "Gosh, we could really use three Mon-El's for this fight..." Alternately, she becomes Gestalt Gal, able to absorb up to two other people and form a kind of composite person with their combined powers (and a motley blend of their appearances...), "Oh, if only we had someone with Imra's telepathy and Brainy's, uh, brain! Just relax you two, this won't hurt a bit..."

Or you could go with some combination of these. Combining 'Luornu of Many Worlds' with the telepathic link / hive-mind option could turn Luornu into a mental bridge between the Legions of Three (plus) Worlds, keeping them in constant contact, and allowing for multiversal coordination between Legions.

Or you could mix 'combat trainer Lu' with 'triple strength Lu' and have her not only switch at a moments notice between three normal strength foes and one triple strength foe, but also design her own stun-baton, shield-bracer, etc. with her new ability to triplicate her brainpower. (Brainy will be so thrilled to have someone else using the labs...)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#602577 08/13/09 07:13 PM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
Those are all interesting, Set. However none of these ideas are about her power-up or using the power-up in a unique way. I would have said #8 did use it, but then you limited it to her original power.

I'll predict right here that this power-up will eventually be forgotten or reversed.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#602578 08/14/09 12:52 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Those are all interesting, Set. However none of these ideas are about her power-up or using the power-up in a unique way. I would have said #8 did use it, but then you limited it to her original power.
I misread your original post. I thought you were talking about her power, and the basic duplication/multiplication power, not what Johns did specifically, which, frankly, we know nothing about. Are her new dupes 'real girls' or just clones of Lu-Prime? Are they mentally linked? Are they some sort of constructs? Can she create them at range? Does the death of one have any effect on her? Does she have an upper limit? I know none of this, so I can't help you.

I can only offer unique ways to either play with Luornu's original power, or some variation of a duplication power that would be very much unlike that of Jamie Madrox, which was, I mistakenly thought, what you wanted, a Lu who would not be mistaken for a 'Madrox clone.'

#602579 08/14/09 02:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmmmmm I may be misremembering....but did I recall correctly that Triplicate Girl did gain multipility powers temporarily by Dynamo Boy or Dynamo Kid in the Adventure Comics? That the same issue where Shrinking Violet gain by having a power to enlarge too?

#602580 08/14/09 06:25 AM
Applicant
Applicant
it was adventure comics 368 the mutiny of the super heroines where she temporarily had a power upgrade

#602581 08/14/09 11:24 AM
Active
Active
What about calling her Decoy Damsel, wherein her original self or 2 selves still exist, but the other duplicates are inconsequential, that they only serve to distract.

#602582 08/16/09 03:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
As mentioned, the unlimited duplicates power was previously touched upon back in the ADV era, so I say YAY!

Anything that beefs up Lu is a good thing in my book. I also loved her upgrade to force-field powers and restoration of her second body back in TMK.

And I think the Duplicate Damsel name is cute!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#602583 08/17/09 05:25 AM
OP Offline
Well, even though there are a couple of hours left for voting, I would say that most people like the powering up of Duo Damsel to Duplicate Damsel (even if you don't like the new name)

I still say (as I did on the previous page) this is not something that is going to last. As soon as Geoff Johns is off the Legion, Luornu will be back to her original power.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#602584 08/17/09 09:13 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think it was only done because the Countdown mess killed her off and they wanted her back...

This was really the easiest way to make that happen...

Touch the magic...
#602585 08/17/09 08:00 PM
Candidate
Candidate
I responded to a similiar thread on another board...

I'm disappointed with the way Lu's been handled.

Like someone previously posted, Lu had stated that it was unusual for a carggite to survive the death of one of their bodies. Very much like siamese twins. The others would have experienced sympathetic deaths. This point was mentioned enough that it left the impression that there were plans for Lu. I figured she would bring about some sort of evolutionary change among her people. With so many other characters, and changes in creative teams and such, Lu was put on the back burner.

I always imagined that, at some point, Computo would have been ressurected and then destroyed leaving behind an energy-type being that would then have merged with Lu's surviving bodies. Revealing that her first body hadn't really died, but instead had been absorbed by Computo. The *merge* would then result in a new entity, (Codename = Surge,) which would have been loads more interesting than *Duplicate Damsel.*

I just don't think it shows much creativity. Even if they had let Lu retain the powers imbued upon her by Querl's force-field belt, (Codename = Shield,) that still would have made for a more interesting character than *Duplicate Damsel.*

That being re-stated. I think *Bunny* would be a better codename for the current interpretation of Lu.

#602586 08/15/10 10:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
As mentioned, the unlimited duplicates power was previously touched upon back in the ADV era, so I say YAY!
If Lu has regained the power of unlimited multiplication, can Thora be far behind?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#602587 08/15/10 10:25 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
If Vi starts growing again, we'll know something's up!

#602588 08/15/10 11:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like the power-up and I like the name

Touch the magic...
#602589 08/15/10 11:35 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The fact that the her name translates as 'replacement virgin' is kinda hilarious.

#602590 08/15/10 11:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
lol

Touch the magic...
#602591 08/15/10 01:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by jesjos]
I always imagined that, at some point, Computo would have been ressurected and then destroyed leaving behind an energy-type being that would then have merged with Lu's surviving bodies. Revealing that her first body hadn't really died, but instead had been absorbed by Computo. The *merge* would then result in a new entity, (Codename = Surge,) which would have been loads more interesting than *Duplicate Damsel.
That would be an excellant idea for a villain. Sort of like Galatea in the JLU cartoon.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#602592 08/15/10 03:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's also what may have happened to Sharn Nux in the DnA series, although we never found out.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#602593 08/15/10 05:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh poop, I never got a chance to vote!

#602594 08/16/10 07:29 AM
Leader
Leader
I like the power up but want more aspects of her power explored besides just multiple copies of her. Such as limited teleportation abilities and/or linked minds between her bodies, duplicating small objects, etc. Also would hate to see her become raygun fodder.

I also don't like the name Duplicate Damsel. She's not a damsel anymore, for one thing. Duplicate Dame? Not crazy about that either. Ditto IS kinda cool.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#602595 08/16/10 07:47 AM
Active
Active
Damsel: a young woman or girl; a maiden, originally one of gentle or noble birth.

how's she not a young woman...she's not middle aged.

Bring back the super-cousins
#602596 08/16/10 08:09 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I think he's referring to the "maiden" thing. She's been married to Chuck for some time, after all. wink

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#602597 08/16/10 08:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I miss the smell of triplicate forms. Who knows what those nasty chemicals did to your gonads.

Her name should probably be upgraded to other outdated office equipment.

Dittograph Princess
Mimeograph Madame
CarbonCopy Kid
Selectric I, II, III
SlideRule Queen

#602598 08/16/10 09:03 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
How about Teen Telex?

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#602599 08/16/10 09:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I dunno ... I kinda like the name Duplicate Damsel. I never liked "Duo" in her name but that's because I hated when they killed one of her selves way back. The "Damsel" part of her name grew on me over time, so I rather like the new name, not to mention the enhanced power!

On the flip side the word "duplicate" does suggest a copying of a power (think: Duplicate Boy).

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,987
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gigglebot Girl
Gigglebot Girl
Northumberland