Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 16 Murran Spies, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/11/24 03:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/11/24 03:25 PM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 11 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/11/24 11:43 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/11/24 11:35 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/11/24 01:19 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/11/24 01:19 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/11/24 12:43 AM
The Litter Box
by stile86 - 06/10/24 08:01 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kitson preview..TT/Legion special.. Rating the new outfits SPOILERS
#54605 10/06/04 04:12 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Legion/Titans special number one...
Spoilers
Wow! Just finished reading the special. Legion 2.0 is gone. It is going to be very strange to live in a world without Gates, Kid Q, Sneckie, et.all but they are gone..Shikari looks like she is not...anyhoo BRING ON THE NEW ERA!!!!!!!!!!!

Last page of the book shows the new line up..they are Lightning Lad, Saturn girl, Cosmic Boy, Brainy, Shady, Star Boy, Shrinking Violet/Atom Girl, Colossal Boy, Light Lass, Ultra Boy, Karate Kid, Princess Projectra, Invisible Kid, Dream Girl, Sun Boy, Triplicate Girl, Element Lad, Chameleon Boy, and unknown pair of boots.

Rating the roll.. Top of page to bottom

1. Unknown boots - Ferro Lad? Matter Eater Lad? Chemical King? they are Black

2. Ultra Boy - only see boots..brown. But we know his new look from the issue 2 tid bit. Love the retro boots back. Rating - B

3. Star Boy - Love the costume! The return of the Cockrum starfield!!! Love it with the white cape. Love his white no pupil's look. He looks powerful! Don't like the Afro-American race change but I can deal. Rating -A

4. Chameleon Boy - Like the modern, alien look. Miss the antennae. Better look than he has had in the past..Rating - B+

5. Shadow Lass - Umbra be gone! Im a little undecided on the look. I like the sleekness and the lighter color skin. Like the hair. Rating -B-

6. Cosmic Boy - This is the best Rokk has looked since Grell's beefcake outfit. This is clean, modern and awesome. Rating A+

7. Brainiac-5 - Can't really see him but we have seen him on cover of issue one. Love the buzz cut and new costume..looks good Rating B

8. Light Lass - Love her powers returning..so glad we don't have two electrical members. Costume looks dark blue and white. I miss the feather..this is ok. Rating B

9. Lightning Lad - Love it! Another retro take on Dave Cockrum's classic! Looks awesome with the "glow". Garth also has Grell long, wavy hair again..Rating - A

10. Sun Boy - Glad to see Dirk back after so long. Like the sun crest. Clean and plain..he's very waspy looking. Rating C+

11. Triplicate Girl - Lu looks like a merge of all of her looks. I'm not a fan. Rating -D

12. Dream Girl - Can't really make out the lower part of her costume. Still like the Cockrum look but this is ok. Rating C

13. Colossal Boy - Again.. it's like long lost friends returning for this reader of Legion (26 years). I love the new look but you really can't make it out here. Better visual in preview art from issue two Rating -A

14. Princess Projectra - My second favorite legionnaire of all time is back and looks awesome. I really can't believe it! She looks great in royal purple..cant really make out her costume. But Jeckie is back, gets an A+

15. Element Lad - He's back. Love the elemental symbols...not the colors. Wish he was in blue and green again. Don't like the red. Rating -C

16. Saturn Girl - She really needed a new look. Don't like it.. Rating -D

17. Karate Kid - Im not a big fan of Val. This costume is very clean, Japan esq. I still like the Cockrum costume the best but this is ok. C

18. Invisible Kid - Wow...no head band. Not sure if this is his civies. No comment..costume on the way?

19. Phantom Girl - Yes, name back. Love the Cockrum inspired re design. BELL BOTTOMS!!! Modern clean look again - A+

20. SHrinking Violet/Atom Girl - Last, but not least. Salu is back in Cockrum green and black. Not crazy bout the hair. Hard to make out the costume but looks cool..wait and see. Rating B

Overall comments - I am really excited about the reboot. The team really has a futuristic look. Modern and retro at the same time and the best part is ....NO "L" BELTS WITH POCKETS! They look individual again. Something else else most teens strive for. This whole thing smacks of the Cockrum/Grell era. Sexy, new, modern..... Can't wait till December!

Re: Kitson preview..TT/Legion special.. Rating the new outfits SPOILERS
#54606 10/06/04 05:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
okay !!!! i just read this !!!!

oh no !!!! i said i'd wait for the issue .....

well it didn't give too much away, i still don't know how we get to "this place" !!!!

roll on tomorrow !!!!

btw the costumes/names sound amazing !!!!

Matthew.

#54607 10/06/04 06:15 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I...yeah. Waid, in that preview, played the one single card that now has me curious to see what happens next. Drat.

Anyways, on the Lyle question? I think he just ran away from home, and will probably have a costume in issue 1, maybe.

He might be the POV character for at least the beginning. Waid played the one card that is keeping me there...

#54608 10/06/04 06:39 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I won't comment on the boots.

Star Boy - Extraordinary. The best design of the lot. Not the same Thom I knew and loved, but he's beautful nonetheless. Rating: A+

Chameleon Boy - He looks like a mentally challenged elf. The "shapes" on his uniform are just silly. Rating: D-

Shadow Lass - Let's call her Pale Shadow Lass instead.. The costume would look okay on anyone else, but the Lightle design was far superior. Rating: C+

Cosmic Boy - Yawn. Not bad but nothing special. I miss the cool metallic discs. Rating: B-

Brainiac-5 - What on Colu is going on with Brainy? He looks like a damn cyborg. Rating: Gaaah!!

Light Lass - Ayla's sassy costume bears no resemblence to Garth's, which is fine with me. I just wish they'd done something more interesting with her hair. Rating B+

Lightning Lad - Not sure about the neon glitz, but *he* looks amazing. He shouldn't have any problem finding a nicer girlfriend now. Rating: A

Sun Boy - Looks like he's wearing funny pajamas. The hair looked a lot better on the cover of LSH #1. Rating C

Triplicate Girl - B-o-r-i-n-g, except for the organge cape. The costume Coipel designed by light years was better. No effort to improve the hair style either. Rating:: D

Dream Girl - Not as attractive as her all-white bodysuit but I kind of like the "bad girl" look of it. How could she resist the new Star Boy? Rating: B

Colossal Boy - Better than any of his previous costumes, but that's not saying much. Rating: B

Princess Projectra - The cape is great; but the color is garish. I prefer her in red or the original blue & pink. Rating: B-

Element Lad - Don't like the colors at all, but the cape is pretty cool if a little too wizardy for my taste. I'll need time to adjust. Rating: C+

Saturn Girl - What a wasted opportunity. Is that a ponytail? Rating: D-

Karate Kid - B-o-r-i-n-g. Val drawn looked pretty cool before. Now he doesn't. Rating: C

Invisible Kid - No costume yet, so no comment yet except to say I'm very relieved to see Lyle. Did they make him so young to avoid the "gay" question?

Phantom Girl - Get rid of the "P", but otherwise adorable. Rating: A

Shrinking Violet/Atom Girl - I like Salu in short hair. I can't see enough of the uniform to rate it, but I wish it had been pale green.

Summary:

The best: Star Boy, Lightning Lad, Phantom Girl, Light Lass
The worst: Brainy, Saturn Girl, Chameleon Boy, Triplicate Girl

#54609 10/06/04 08:54 PM
Active
Active
Star Boy - Historically, Thom has always had some of the most dynamic costumes. This one's no exception. Can't wait to see the whole thing, cape and all. 10/10

Chameleon Boy - Historically, Cham has always had the most boring costumes. I dunno. It looks like a little Seseme Street muppet designed to teach about shapes. 5/10

Shadow Lass - A little too goth-looking for my tastes. And the stitching on the front of her pants looks close to being obscene! Before everyone gets upset about teh skin color, are we sure this is Tasmia? 6/10

Cosmic Boy - One of the best looks I've seen on Cosmic Boy. Definite improvement. 8/10

Brainiac-5 - Can't tell what's going on there. Inconclusive

Light Lass - I think Ayla looks pretty nice here. It's ditinct enough to allow here to stand out from her brother. 8/10

Lightning Lad - LOVE the new look. The glow looks awesome on him. 10/10

Sun Boy - Ugh! The only one on here that I truly do not like at all. I wouldn't have minded if Kitson had stolen the design from Superboy's Legion. 2/10

Triplicate Girl - Eh. Nothing really special. The orange cape looks tacked on now that there's no orange in her outfit. 6/10

Dream Girl - Dreamy rearely gets much decoration in her outfits so I'm glad to see a little extra detail. Still kind of hard to see what's going on with her pants, though. Inconcclusive

Colossal Boy - Looks too much like Dev-Em's outfit from the Dark Circle story. I consider this one of the few let downs. 5/10

Princess Projectra - The color's great! The design is great! She's not a snake! This is by far my favorite of the new outfits!!! 10/10

Element Lad - Jan's costume changes have always been drastic in the past, so there's no reason for this to be any different. It's very bold and unlike anything seen on a Legionnaire before. The little symbols on the groin seem like clutter, though. 9.5/10

Saturn Girl - This just doesn't seem right to me. Given time, though it might work. 7/10

Karate Kid - Nice jammies. hard to see the whole thing, but so far it's kinda neat looking. 8/10

Phantom Girl - I really mis the cape on her. I always thought the cape made for a nice visual with her powers. It took poor Tinya years to get rid of those bell bottoms. Now it looks as though she is doomed to wear them again. I am not happy. 5/10

Shrinking Violet/Atom Girl - Didn't she wear this exact same outfit back in the 70's? I swear it looks really familiar. The short hair reminds me of butch Vi in the V.3 days and that isn't a good thing. Still, a simple and classy look. 8/10

#54610 10/07/04 01:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Star Boy - Great new look - my favorite of the bunch. I think it's possible from the pic that this is James Cullen, not Thom.

Chameleon Boy - Is that what bald durlans look like? Is that supposed to be some kind of connect to Kojak and bald/balding detectives? and the basic geometry shapes indicate...? don't get it

Shadow Lass - I like the outfit quite a bit, but her pallor is a little disconcerting. Her shadows are part of her pigmentation and thus changes her shading when she's using them? 'Shading' being used as a verb to indicate coloring and also as a verb to indicate shadow casting?

Cosmic Boy - it's alright; doesn't draw me to him like that peekaboo little tight number he used to wear, but it's not the awful pale scarlet/pink bit with the removable sex toys (i mean metal discs)

Brainiac-5 - eh, he looks more interesting than he ever has ... he's always such a central character, but his costumes always are so bland ... this has something to it

Light Lass - cool gravity powers make a return in an age and under a creative team who can use them well -- costume is cute, but a little bland, especially when seen against her brother's

Lightning Lad - PHENOMENAL! this is what made Lightning Lad so popular in earlier legions

Sun Boy - it's fine -- didn't think i'd say it (as i never think the Legion needs all the frat boys originally created): but it was good to see him

Triplicate Girl - "Star Wars" meets "Lord of the Rings" and forgets to explain why... WHY?

Dream Girl - She looks great. Sexy, tech-savvy, and - gasp - not automatically useless! She's not sporting a swimsuit to fight the Fatal 5!

Colossal Boy - ugly times two, IMO ... looks like he's from a planet of neanderthals that despise being attractive

Princess Projectra - nice, nice, nice -- jeckie in purple seems so natural, and much more regal than pink

Element Lad - see Triplicate Girl above

Saturn Girl - um, i guess this is Imra's "I stand alone" outfit... maybe it makes her feel better believing people dislike her for her fashion, rather than her attitude or morally questionable use of powers? maybe titanians all dress apart from others based on their own sense of place?

Karate Kid - a return to the karate in Karate Kid, but this time it's cute ... i like him swarthier

Invisible Kid - looks more explorer-adventurer than superhero, which is Lyle when i think about it

Phantom Girl - BEAUTIFUL... she looks great

Shrinking Violet/Atom Girl - I like it, but I'm not sure I'll see her again for a long time, since she's a subatomic agent.

#54611 10/07/04 01:28 AM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Ok. I'll bite.

I LOVE Cosmic Boy's new look (even though it's blue. wink )

Lightning Lad's design is exciting and dynamic.

Saturn Girl hasn't changed much. Not so sure about the cape.

I think I prefer the orange/purple switching aspect of the old costumes.

Phantom Girl finally looks like PG!

Chameleon Boy really NEEDS his antennae. It's as distinctive as Legion L.

Colossal Boy has a cool symbol now.

Relieved to see Lyle. Can't wait to see his suit.

Brainiac 5 is a little too dark for my taste. I hope he's more Querl than Vril.

Ultra Boy, thankfully, hasn't changed much.

I agree with everybody's love for Star Boy's new duds.

Violet's back to green. YAY!

Sun Boy - I'm just glad to see him again. Plus his symbol is striking.

Element Lad is probably the most dramatic change. Not sure how I feel about it.

Light Lass' look seems too simplistic. Not sure why that bothers me on her but not on some of the others.

Dream Girl is still sexy!

Karate Kid? I'd rather he be asian, if his race is being changed. I need to see more.

Princess Projectra! I think we're all glad that the sanke is behind us. She has a very elegant look.

If Shadow Lass wasn't so damned pale, I'd love her new look. smile

I guess I should get started on some smilies.

#54612 10/07/04 04:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Star Boy - One of the best of the bunch. I like it ALOT!

Chameleon Boy - Yeah don't care for the new head or costume. One of my faves though so I am hoping him being a shapeshifter means a new look quick!

Shadow Lass - I like her new look!

Cosmic Boy - Not bad. Has a certain 80s tron feel...hi-techy circuit vibe?! Not bad.

Brainiac-5 - Not bad. Not my fave costume but i can dig it...much like Rokk.

Light Lass - freaking awesome!

Lightning Lad - Same as above1 Awesome!

Sun Boy - hate the hair and costume really. BUT love the sun actually glowing!

Triplicate Girl - worst of the bunch by far! ugh!

Dream Girl - Not sure have to see more.

Colossal Boy - I really like it. And I like the muscular look as well. For some reason it reminds me of a Cockrum Imperial Guard and that is a good thing. Wouldnt mind his old school headpience with hair and face showing though. wink

Princess Projectra - Aye royal purple princess. like it.

Element Lad - Interesting. Don't like the red costume. Maybe a more muted color...a bluish/gray?

Saturn Girl - Reminds me of her Magic Wars look a bit. I don't care for the cape much...or at all.

Karate Kid - the postboot costume was much cooler.

Invisible Kid - have to agree with Andy about the scientific adventurer thing. I like that spin on Lyle! I like the look thus far.

Phantom Girl - I like the design alot! Don't like the chest symbol insignia thing. Rather have cleavage. smile

Violet - I like it! Black and green! So her hair isn't short...i will survive.

Jorge

#54613 10/07/04 04:50 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Speaking of the glowing energy parts on certain characters...seems to be popular thus far.

Infact it's so darn cool it can become a trademark! If each Legionnaire has an insignia that glows like this...some more than others...it would really rock.

Each member having their own sign fits that old school adventure silliness so many like...but having it glow and be a visual effect is very modern.

I may have to do this on my micros to see how it looks. smile

Jorge

#54614 10/07/04 05:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
i thought the glowing might be the result of their unique ability 'powering up' the clothes

#54615 10/07/04 06:34 AM
Substitute
Substitute
My thoughts, and ratings by 1-5 stars:

Star Boy - Superb. 5 stars.

Chameleon Boy - Don't care for the symbols but otherwise an improvement. 3 stars.

Shadow Lass - She always looks good. 4 1/2 stars.

Cosmic Boy - Good! 4 1/2 stars.

Brainiac-5 - Bleh - 2 stars.

Light Lass - Fantastic - 5 stars.

Lightning Lad - 5 stars!

Sun Boy - WHO LET THE LITTLE MOROSE BOY OUT IN HIS PAJAMAS? 0 stars!

Triplicate Girl - No No No. 1 star.

Dream Girl - Looks good. 4 stars.

Colossal Boy - Not as bad as some. 4 stars.

Princess Projectra - No snakeskin earns this ensemble 4 1/2 stars.

Element Lad - Again, those darn symbols - he looks like he's been drawing on himself - 1 star.

Saturn Girl - Need to see more, but points for going from pink back to red. 4 stars.

Karate Kid - Can't tell. 3 stars until further notice.

Invisible Kid - May not be his costume but I like the look - 4 stars.

Phantom Girl - Close to great but not there yet - 4 stars.

Violet - Who can tell? 3 stars.

On the whole I'm really delighted. Although very popular Barry is not one of my favorites, but I like what I've seen here, and the costumes are better than I expected.

#54616 10/07/04 07:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by joe mondo:
Princess Projectra - No snakeskin earns this ensemble 4 1/2 stars.
lol Actually that would have been hilarious if she had been wearing some snakeskin somewhere in her outfit! At least we'd know what happened to Sneckie after the fade-out... well parts of her anyway! lol

#54617 10/07/04 08:51 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by imskian78:
1. Unknown boots - Ferro Lad? Matter Eater Lad? Chemical King? they are Black
By my count, all Adventure era characters are accounted for except for Mon-El, Matter-Eater Lad, Timeber Wolf, and Chemical King. Waid has confirmed Mon is coming later, and intimated that Brin & Condo won't be around for awhile.

So, unless this is a new character, I'm leaning towards Tenzil.

Edited to add: Bouncing Boy is unaccounted for as well, but I'm betting that's him in the DNAddiction ad outside Lyle's bedroom window.

#54618 10/07/04 09:10 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Ooh fashion critique! I'm so there!

Cosmic Boy-not crazy about it, I do like to see a colour other than pink/black/purple being used though. I always like it when an artist boldly uses a colour that a character hasn't been associated with before. I do think it's a bit blah and nothing special though.

Sun Boy-ugh! Give that boy some boots and pants stat! The sun logo should be the silver age one. This one is just ugly.

Dream Girl-I like it! I like the swirly blue on the pants. Nice to finally have a look for Nura that gets away from the chrome swimming costume look (although that is fantastic and timelessly classic, it's time for something new)

Violet-disappointed to see her back in green. I always thought it made no sense that a character called Violet was wearing green not er..violet. Colour it violet and wer'e in business.

Brainac 5- don't like it. Hate the hair. I want Brainy as his sweet awkward old self not as a ruthless manipulative Vril Dox clone and that's what this design screams. Should have more purple in it.

Colossal Boy-hate it. Nothing special

Chameleon Boy-Don't like it. He had better shift back to his classic look soon! 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Saturn Girl-like it. (I think I'm the only one who does so far) The cape is probably a bad idea. Imra has never had a cape except for that Giffen Magic Wars costume that had had a small one, but hardly anyone remembers that as she only wore it for about five minutes! The Saturn symbol should be yellow, not red.

Triplicate Girl-like it. Again I think I'm the first one who does! As with Imra's, this costume most resembles the postboot one and I liked that, so I like this, not sure a cape goes with it though. Glad to finally see the back of orange and purple. Orange and purple on Luornu was great, but it's been done to death. Yes! Other colours on her already!

Lightning Lad-don't like it. I think those glowing lightning bolts are ugly. Sorry. Much prefer the postboot costume. It's too 70s.

Phantom Girl-Like it except for the flares and the 'p'. Okay I'm a child of the white hot heat of the Punk Rock Wars, Flares=Evil as far as I am concerned. I waited for year upon year for Tinya to finally lose those fugly, fugly, fugly Foul EVIL flares and hallejulah she finally did! Now they are back. Noooooo!

I loathe flares. Despise them with the heat of a thousand suns. Not happy the flares are back. The 'p' is fugly as well. Would be much better with just a black oval. The rest of the costume I like though, the belt is cool. And I think the short black gloves really go well with the design. Like the gold earrings (or are they barrettes?) as well. I just wish it wasn't flares...ugh. Also miss the cape. I think Tinya is a 'cape person' in the same way that Imra isn't..

Light Lass-Would prefer the feather instead of the arrow, would lose the bare midriff (that is going to be so dated in a few years time, other than that it's good. I like the design of the boots and the stripes going up the sides of the legs, don't like that they end in arrows though. Just don't like pointing up arrows for some reason. Overall it's nice. I think it needs a belt to finish it off though.

Shady-It's okay, pretty much you can't go wrong with Tasmia as long as its black/dark blue and has a cape. She's really the easiest Legionnaire to design for. (take it from an amateur artist who's designed loads and loads of alternative Legion costumes smile ) Again, would lose the bare midriff, I frankly think bare midriffs are a bit trashy looking, just imho. And let's have the blue skin back pronto!

Jeckie- I like it, although again, the bare midriff is a minus. I think it's excellent that she's in purple. The colour most symbolic of royalty and no one has thought to use it before! (including me I have to say) doh! I don't know what that weird apparatus on the back of the cape is, (you can see it more plainly on the cover for the first issue) looks like a hood fashioned from a toilet seat. Don't like that but I haven't seen it closely enough yet, I may change my mind.

But frankly I don't care what she looks like as long as she's human! tongue

Element Lad- I like it. Again use of colours not associated with this character before earns high grades from me! Jan seems to be the legionnaire with the most diverse range of colours, from pink to blue and green to pink and black to black and white, now yellow and blue. He is now 'Swedish Flag Lad'. Hurrah!

Star Boy-like it. That very astronomical photo like starfield is going to be very hard to draw though. (better to stick to the stylized old starfield) Yeah, I'm looking at it from an 'omg how am I going to draw that??? perspective.' tongue From a purely eyecandy perspective, have at it and fill your boots! it's cool.

Karate Kid- Would have preferred orange and black as of old. Seems a bit plain.

Some of my judgements may seem a bit harsh but it's a purely subjective thing, aesthetic taste. No one is wrong or right! It's all down to personal preference! (it's nothing personal!)

ummmm...have I mentioned how much I hate flares? puke

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
#54619 10/07/04 09:14 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:

Chameleon Boy - Historically, Cham has always had the most boring costumes. I dunno. It looks like a little Seseme Street muppet designed to teach about shapes. 5/10
rotflmao

#54620 10/07/04 09:54 AM
Leader
Leader
ULTRA BOY: Hard to mess up his costume, as long as one doesn't stray too far form the classic look. Glad Barry resisted the urge to change Jo too much. A

STAR BOY: Great costume! Have no probs with the skin color change. BUt is this Thom or James? A+

CHAMELEON BOY: I dunno. Cham without antennea is like an ice cream sundea without the cherry on top. I notice that many pf the boys whose personalities might not be inclined to a concern with fashion sence (Brainy, Cham, Rokk) are using the same basic template for their costumes. Shapes are okay. C-

COSMIC BOY: Okay. See comments for Cham. Miss the metal discs. Makes sence he would keep weapons with him for any instance when he is in a non-metallic environment. Also miss the retro shoulder rings. B-

SHADOW LASS: Does not seem to be overly popular, but I love the look. Make me think of Goerge Perez's Scarlet Witch design gone Goth. I also like the Jennifer Aniston hairdo. Works for me. A

LIGHTNING LAD: Close to teh classis Cockrum design, which is good. The glowing lightning bolts are great. Very nice. A+

BRAINIC: Not so good. I have always preferred the functions Challengers of the Unknown style jumpsuit. D

LIGHT LASS: LOVE IT! Midriff exposure very in character. SHe looks sassy & Spritely. A

SUN BOY: I donno. Dork's costume is the next most classic, untouchable costume after Jo, and bronze age Garth, IMHO. But the yellow tights? And that's some Wkae Me Up Before You Go-Go head of hair. I'm thinking Dirk is the most likely relaunch poofer. B-

TRIPLICATE GIRL: I don't have any real problems with it. It's mostly her reboot costume with a cape. I would have preferred something modeled on her Bronze Age costume. C-

ELEMENT LAD: Next best design after Star Boy's! Love the elemental symbols. He looks much more mysterious, more like an alchemist. I do agree Red & Yellow shceme a tad flashy for him, might have preferred something more muted A-

DREAM GIRL: Sexy, sassy, and more ostentacious then her simple preboot swimsuit. Like it. B+

COLOSSAL BOY: eh, Not really grooving on this. Hope he moves to something soon that is closer to his SIlver Age Texas RAnger suit. Makes sence that he might. These are teens after all, and teens are notorious for their tansient fashion sence. I expect these kids will experiemnt a lot with different looks. Some will probably change costumes with Wasp like abandon. C

PHANTOM GIRL: Love the bell bottoms and the cutouts. The circle phased into the line is a neat way to have a symbol that intimates her power while still riffing on the Silver Age "P". A

PRINCESS PROJECTRA: Excellent. Very regal looking. And sexy too. I wonder if this will be her code name? She might just be Sensor Girl A

ATOM GIRL: HArd to see exactly, but it does make sense that shy Vi would have a simple costume. I think I would have preferred something closer to her silver age look. I'd like to see at least one of the girls in a mini-skirt. C-

SATURN GIRL: The only costume I actively dislike. It's just her reboot costume with a cape. UG. I was really looking for something that said either "I'm an ice queen," or, "I'm an overcompensating hussey." F

KARATE KID: Simple, but that's in character. Val only requires functionality and ease of movement. I do wonder about the skin tone. I applaud moving away from sterotypical asian, but is he black? Maybe hispanic? Muslim/Aribic? hard to tell. A

Invisible Kid: n/a. Hope he gets earth tones & a headband.

#54621 10/07/04 11:26 AM
Active
Active
I love costumes, and love seeing characters dress up in new ways. So the costumes at the back were maybe the most exciting part of this issue for me! I'll rate 'em on a 1-5 scale, 5 being fantabulous. But I also have terrible taste.

Star Boy - He looks like a Photoshop filter is eating his torso. I'd like the star field, but it sticks out to me compared to the rest of the image. 3/5

Chameleon Boy - What's on his forehead? I like the costume except for the symbols. 3/5

Shadow Lass - I don't mind a black Star Boy, but I'm not sure I can take a white Shadow Lass, bodypaint aside. I'm hoping in the regular series she'll be colored with a more obvious blue tint. I love her costume, though, and in both this and first cover image, I think her hair is gorgeous. 4/5

Cosmic Boy - I cannot explain why, but I dislike this one a lot. Maybe because it's too similar to his previous costume, or maybe because it just seems so stereotypically and generically "Superhero" without any real personality to it. 2/5

Brainiac 5 - I like the gloves. I will like the wires IF and only if they do something useful other than just sitting there. 2/5, unless those green parts on the costume were meant to be Coluan flesh-colored, in which case this is a 6/5.

Light Lass - I love this outfit a lot. I love the arrows on the sides. I love the exposed stomach. Love the gloves. Love the boots. 5/5

Lightning Lad - I like this a lot too. Although it's very similar to his earlier costume, the digitally enhanced lightning is used effectively here (as opposed to the starfield) to add to the costume without making it seem out of place. There's no question--he's a lad, he deals in lightning. 4/5

Sun Boy - Boring. Ugly. What happened to his hair? I like Sun Boy, but I wish they'd done more with his costume. 2/5

Triplicate Girl - Her previous costume, but with a cape and with a crotch triangle that could be mistaken for, um, hair... if you squint or look fast. 1/5

Dream Girl - I like it. I like the top better than the pants. I kind of wish the stomach wasn't exposed on this one, I think it'd look nicer. 3/5

Colossal Boy - It took me a while to realize who he was supposed to be. It's also ugly. 1/5

Princess Projectra - Another one I like a lot. I especially like the nice purple cape and the shoulder piece. 4/5

Element Lad - I loved this desperately when I first saw the Previews cover, but I don't know about this new coloring. Too much like Sun Boy's color scheme. I love the cape and the designs still though. 4/5

Saturn Girl - It's, uh, Saturn Girl. Has a cape. I like capes okay. 2/5

Karate Kid - Skin tone makes him look more Indian or middle eastern than Asian. Don't like the costume. It doesn't look enough like a costume for my tastes. 2/5

Phantom Girl - This is my favorite. From the stylized P to the bellbottoms, this is incredibly cool and manages to look modern while invoking the costume of the past. 5/5

Shrinking Violet/Atom Girl - I like the short hair. I'd like to see the costume more clearly. It's cool to see her out of purple again. 3/5

科学の使者、キュアドクス!
#54622 10/07/04 05:51 PM
Active
Active
Star Boy: Exceptional. Instantly goes on my list of classic legion costumes. A+

Shadow Lass: Not enough skin! And her hair just isn't sexy enough. I like my Tasmia looking a whole lot more exotic than we are getting here. C

Chameleon Boy: I like it. Cham has never worn a costume that I've liked so I'm surprised that I'm digging this one. I'm in the minority here but I like Cham without the antennae. I've always felt that the fifties martian look has looked misplaced since the late seventies. I'm glad he's looking a little more alien this time around. B+

Cosmic Boy: A nice update on his usual look. A

Brainiac: I can't really see it but I like what I can see. I prefer coipel's cutesy Brany though. B

Light Lass: Simple and effective but perhaps a little plain for my liking. Maybe if the arrows glowed or something? B

Sun Boy: I love the giant sun logo, but the rest of the costume is a little ugly. And while the hair looks pretty silly, for some reason I kinda like it. C+

Dreamer: I like the look of it but it seems a little valley girl-esque. I think Nura looks best in costumes that are sexy but also emphasise that she is intelligent and capable. This one just doesnt demand respect. C

Lightning Lad: another exceptional costume. The glowing lightning does perhaps bear a little too much resemblance to Black Lightning's costume but this isn't too bothersome. An excellent update on an already classic costume. And I love Garth's seventies hair. A

Phantom Girl: Another excellent update of a classic costume. I love the way Barry's used a bit of black to lessen the stark contrast of her hair to her costume. The all-white look always looked a bit passive to me. The stylized P is great. A

Element Lad: another winner. I like that he's been taken away from his traditional colours and the uncoventional cape design looks great. A

Collosal Boy: a bit bland for my liking, but then again, Gim has never really had any decent costumes. B-

Princess Projectra: looks beautiful. I'm surprised its taken this long for someone to stick her in purple. B+

Karate Kid: It looks a little bulky for a martial arts character but I like the look of it. Does Val look indian to anyone else? Interesting. B

Invisible Kid: I don't think Invisible Kid needs anything particularly fancy. In fact, I think he is the one legionnaire who could get away with not having a costume at all. The clothes he is wearing are fine. B

Ultra Boy: Probably the most classic legion costume besides Mon-el's big button number. A

Saturn Girl and Triplicate Girl: Blech. The standardized reboot costumes never looked blander. And those capes are totally unnecessary. Lu looks very pretty though. D-

Vi: Can't really see enough to judge. I'm just glad that I will never have to see that hideous green streak in her hair ever again.

Overall I am very satisfied. The new costumes were the one thing I was worrying about with this new legion but I think that Barry has done an excellent job.

#54623 10/07/04 07:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll comment on the ones I can really make out...

PROJECTRA: My absolute favorite! HOT hot hot!

PHANTOM GIRL: Sorry, I-Drura, I love this look for Tinya!

STAR BOY: Well, it's hard to go wrong with Cockrum's starfield design.

DREAM GIRL: I like this new look for Nura!

LIGHT LASS: Arrow-up! I approve!

SHADOW LASS: WHY ISN'T SHE BLUE?

LIGHTNING LAD: Again, hard to go wrong with Cockrum's design. I dig the glowy stuff too.

SUN BOY: No. This buffount-haired goober is NOT Dirk Morgna. Dirk should be the sexiest boy of the bunch! BAH!

TRIPLICATE GIRL: Umm. A "no" vote, I think.

SATURN GIRL: BRING ON THE PINK BIKINI! Because THIS is dull.

CHAMELEON BOY: Hate it.

COLOSSAL BOY: *Yawn!* Get him back in his Texas Rager of Space ADVENTURE-era duds!

COSMIC BOY: *Yawn*!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#54624 10/08/04 02:06 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Ummm..I'm embarrassed. Turns out, looking at the scan from the preview that Element Lad's costume is red and yellow. I was thinking of the cover where it looks yellow and blue.

Guess I shouldn't comment on colours until they are final. I think blue is a much better choice than red.

Ummm I think maybe I was too harsh in my post. When I say 'fugly' I don't meant it to be too harsh. I picked up that word on the internet somewhere and I thought it was amusing so I started using it, I just use it as a general term for something I don't like the look of, I don't mean it to mean f***ng ugly which is where the term originates I believe.
I wouldn't want to be so harsh!

I'm just upset because I might have hurt Barry's feelings. I'm used to saying what I feel about these things but I forgot that the person who designed them reads this board. I wouldn't have been so harsh if I had remembered that. frown

I'm not that bothered about the costumes none of them are that bad, although I really think the lack of lower body accessories on Sun Boy is a bad idea! Overall I think the designs are very good.

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
#54625 10/08/04 07:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Star Boy - Wow

Chameleon Boy - I don't think I've ever liked one of Cham's costumes. This one might be a slight improvement.

Shadow Lass - I still like it. This view makes her look a little tougher than the first picture.

Cosmic Boy - It's got a nice, streamlined look to it.

Brainiac-5 - Looks nicely techy. The hair cut makes him look older. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Light Lass - As usual, Ayla gets one of the best outfits. Maybe they'll give her a personality I like this time.

Lightning Lad - Cool, very cool. Love the lightning.

Sun Boy - That is so not my Sun Boy. "Prince Valient" is a good description. Why is he blond? Hasn't Dirk always been a redhead?

Triplicate Girl - I could do without the cape in this case. The neckline reminds me of Light Lass's old costume.

Dream Girl - Not bad. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be silver and purple or silver and black.

Colossal Boy - Suits him.

Princess Projectra - Gorgeous. Tough, yet graceful.

Element Lad - Not sure about the colour scheme, but the cut looks fine. This one's really going to be personality dependent though.

Saturn Girl - Yep, that's Saturn Girl all right. Not sure about the cape.

Karate Kid - Damn, that looks comfortable. I think that I like that they avoided the obvious and didn't make him Japanese.

Invisible Kid - I doubt that's his costume, but it might make sense. All the civilian cloth's look drab and monotone next to the LSH. Lyle might want to blend in easily with the crowd.

Phantom Girl - I like flares. smile I like the "p", too. It makes sense that an anachronistic group would use archaic lettering.

Shrinking Violet/Atom Girl - I've always thought it was silly to put Violet in green, but this time she's not "Violet" so why wouldn't she wear green? I can't really judge the style without a better look, though. I like the idea of her wearing a ponytail.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#54626 10/08/04 08:30 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Infectious Drura:
I forgot that the person who designed them reads this board
On that note I'd say don't worry too much about it. I'll betcha Barry likes getting intelligent critiques on the work he's doing. All the posts with "gosh wow that looks great" are nice to hear but the real meat in when somebody comments on the differences in the effects of red or blue in a costume or Sunboy's haircut or guesses important but tertiary details of the story from background information the artist put into the piece.

...I'll grant you that "fugly" isn't really a critique but then again the opinions of each and every one of us is what makes this place what it is...and maybe that's what keeps Kitson coming back laugh

#54627 10/08/04 11:02 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Thom's got a great costume and is darn attractive.

Shady's costume is nice except for again being crotch-centric.

Cham--well, I apprecaite the change, but I'm not sure it's where I'd stop.

Cos' is nice enough I suppose. Doesn't do much for me. Maybe a space-helmet would help.

Garth's is pretty classic and sharp. (Plus it's actually Garth!)

Brainiac is a bit too Borg-looking, but maybe that's because he's so far back.

Light Lass' (yay, not Lighting!) costume is pretty sharp too. Simple, but effective.

Lu's is a bit cutesy. Why is hers so similar to Imra's?

Dirk's is a bit to pajama-casual. Perhaps it's the cuffed neck and gloves. Perhaps the lack of boots. I do like his emblem, though.

Phantom Girl's is perfect but for the stylized P.

Jan's harkens to his adventure days with that rising waistband. Maybe he has to work to develop his powers and the element symbols are like merit badges for when he's mastered a transmutation.

Dreamer's is pretty good. I could certainly see her vamping it up in that.

Gim's is okay...maybe if it had those weird shoulder seams from his adventure days. Do appreciate the gloves mimicing those times, though.

Projectra's is quite regal, of course.

Saturn Girl needs ....more.... something.

Vi's looks sharp, but with a little less character (ha, get it!).

KK's is okay, I suppose you can't do too many variations on the theme.

Lyle must be kept from any headband store at ALL costs.

#54628 10/09/04 01:06 AM
Active
Active
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the feedback - and the generally positive response!

So far I think just about everyone that's expressed an opinion has liked more of the costumes than they've disliked...so I consider this a pretty good start! smile

It's especially nice to read comments from folks who weren't expecting to like the new look have been pleasantly surprised. smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#54629 10/09/04 02:10 AM
Active
Active
I admit that I've been pretty negative about this new reboot. But...

I flaming love Phantom Girl's costume! Flares! She's never looked better! While I'm not about to eat a humble pie, I'll have a humble muffin...

Light Lass and Lightning Lad also both loook great.

However! I want anetennae back on Chameleon Boy! I'm not too keen on Sun Boy's flouncy bouffant, Tasmia looks a bit bland - with the capes being handed out to everyone else I'm surprised she missed one. Element Lad in particular looks very strange - and I don't like it! He looks like Adam Warlock now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,063
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Emergency Backup Cos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Myg - Andy S
Myg - Andy S
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star