Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/03/24 06:43 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/03/24 05:16 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/03/24 12:56 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/03/24 08:36 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/03/24 02:29 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:58 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:53 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:50 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Earthwar Saga- a significant turning point for the legion?
#55314 07/06/07 11:54 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Shooter's Khunds actually predate the Klingons, but not by much.
You're right about that, Kent. Adventure # 346 was cover dated July 1966 (meaning it was probably on sale in March or April). The Klingons first appeared in Star Trek's "Errand of Mercy," which aired nearly a year later, on March 23, 1967 ... another example of the Legion anticipating some cultural phenomena (e.g., Timber Wolf/Wolverine, Karate Kid/martial arts, etc.)

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#55315 07/06/07 12:10 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I've always thought of the Khunds as DC's version of the Klingons. Same warrior race idea, same convenient bad guy usage, same initial letter. smile

In addition to Weber's World, "Earthwar" also introduced us to the perpetual diplomat, Ambassador Relnic. Every time I see his name, I think its spelled backwards, or perhaps it's an anagram. Does anybody know its origin?
can we get a Levitz interview? Ask him how he came up the names like Shvaughn Erin, Relnic, and Weber's World.

Weber's World? wikipedia lists a few Weber's that might be it? doubt it though.

There was a gravitational physicist called Joseph Weber.

Wilhelm Eduard Weber, physicist and inventor of the telegraph. The SI unit of magnetic flux, the weber (symbol: Wb) is named after him.

#55316 07/06/07 12:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I always loved the artifical constructs like Null-Port, Weber's World, Labrynth, and Legion World.

I think Weber's World and Legion World need to return asap! Destroy the moon again and have LW replace it. wink

#55317 07/06/07 02:01 PM
OK -- I spent a sleepless night last night re-reading the entire "Earthwar." It reminded me that, when this story first appeared, I really didn't like it at all.

First, let me say that I admire Paul Levitz's overall contribution to the Legion, and, when all is said and done, he made the most positive contributions of any of the Legion's long-term writers. But with "Earthwar," the 21-year-old Levitz was still feeling his way as a comic book writer. The plot is rather clever, in that you have villains using villains using villains, but its execution leaves much to be desired.

The early chapters feel rushed, which probably was intended to create a sense of urgency. Instead it conveys the impression that Levitz was trying to get through this story as quickly as possible. It's only after Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl appear that the pacing of the story slows down enough that the reader can reflect on what is happening and how dire the situation is. Perhaps Garth and Imra were Levitz's favorite characters and this entire story was engineered for their return. That is, after all, the most significant and immediate outcome of this story.

None of the other Legionnaires get much valuable screen time, and, when they do, they look bad. Element Lad seems vindictive for sending Brainy out in a ship all by himself to Weber's World, after Brainy has twice usurped Jan's role as deputy leader. (Ironically, E-Lad's team makes it to Weber's World in advance of Brainy, who never does arrive!) Brainy spends his time complaining and making fatalistic prognostications -- symptoms, we will later realize, of his mounting insanity. Wildfire is a reckless jerk who nearly causes a Science Police ship to crash and then accuses Ambassador Relnic and Ontiir of collusion with the enemy without any real evidence. Dawnstar feels it necessary to remind Drake that his powers can kill criminals (which may actually be a reasonable reaction on her part, given Drake's earlier impulsiveness). Most of the other Legionnaires just go through the motions of doing what they have to do.

As for the art: Jim Sherman has been praised for his early work on the Legion, but here, in his final two issues (# 241-242), he, too, seems to be rushing through his job as quickly as possible. Anatomy and faces look awkward and bland; action scenes are competent, but uninspiring (much of this cannot be blamed on the inker, which is often the case when appraising Sherman's work).

The art improves somewhat after Joe Staton takes over and is inked by Joe Giella (on # 244) and Murphy Anderson (on # 245).

Coloring is rarely discussed, but here it should be. Cory Adams' colors are also bland and he frequently uses different shades of the same colors in key scenes -- hardly the most appropriate choices for a space-faring epic with multiple characters and settings.

To me, "Earthwar" should be remembered for what it attempted to achieve, if not for what it fully realized. It was an ambitious undertaking that expanded the Legion's world by introducing more political tensions to complement the Imsk/UP tensions introduced earlier; by showing that a multi-part story could work in the Legion's setting; and by changing one of the fundamental rules of the Legion's Constitution (no married members), thereby paving the way for the characters to grow up.

The ending is also rather poignant and ironic in hindsight. With Garth and Imra rejoining, the Legion is whole again, just as they were in Adventure # 351, when other former members rejoined. Earth is safe and celebrates its heroes. The Dominators sign a 1,000-year peace treaty (on which they would apparently later renege.) The Legion would probably never again be this whole. As such, this ending takes on a fairy-tale quaility. It represents the apex of the Legion's idealized adolescence -- before everything changes.

#55318 07/06/07 03:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Levitz was 21?! That makes it even better! smile

#55319 07/06/07 04:11 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
One thing you should keep in mind when reading the Shooter stuff that he's only 13.

#55320 07/06/07 04:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
One thing you should keep in mind when reading the Shooter stuff that he's only 13.
Oh trust me I do. smile Which also makes it cool. I guess we can't cut Levitz slack at 21 when Shooter started at 13. lol.

#55321 07/06/07 05:38 PM
Substitute
Substitute
My second issue. I was 11...wow! My first was number 248 bought in a Whitman sampler 3 pack.lol. I'm with a few of you all I was blown away with all the members and couldnt tell who was who but that is why I was so excited. Next year will be my 30 year anniversary reading Legion of Super Heroes...what a ride!
About Earthwar....Loved Sherman art, Element lad with long hair, Weber's World/Ontir, the Lost in space test tubes every one was held in, the story and it's multi parts.
Disliked..rushed, sloppy art and color on last few issues, not enough screen time for Shrinking Violet. All in all better than the current crap...even for a ten year old! Long live the Legion!

#55322 07/08/07 06:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I discovered I no longer have these issues when I saw HWW's thread and decided to reread the story before reading HWW's review!

*How'd* that happen?!!

Guess I'll have to bug my LCS next week...

I knew I had some holes before Levitz's second stint, but I thought they were later!

Part of me wants to wait on Archives... but at the rate DC's putting *those* out these days, I'll in a retirement home by the time they get to the Reflecto saga.

#55323 07/08/07 08:29 PM
I'm glad that my reviews have made you want to re-read the old stories, Mystery Lad, but this isn't my thread. Rickshaw1 beat me to it. wink

#55324 07/09/07 02:20 AM
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
I think the name of Weber's World comes from the German sociologist Max Weber, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Weber
who wrote extensively on the sociology of religion and government, and pioneered the study of bureaucracy and the use of that word. Hence, it would be appropriate to name an artificial planetoid devoted to government functions after him.

If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.
#55325 07/09/07 02:34 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, I was thinking it was Max Weber as well, but couldn't remember why it would be him, but that makes a lot of sense.

#55326 07/09/07 09:17 AM
Active
Active
I also have very fond memories of Earthwar - though I did not read it when it first came out in Germany, it was one of my favorites when I hunted down all of the German Legion appearances in the sooner 90s. They dedicated a whole small format paperback to Earthwar back in the 80s which I found later on and loved to read.

I really consider this the first "modern style" Legion story. It has the first longer story arc I can remember, though it was kind of incoherent because the villains kept on changing til Mordru came out as the Mastermind. But it still is a big story which I would recommend as a starting point for every new fan unfamiliar with the great old continuity...

I absolutely adored Shermans art (every of his too few issues) and also think that it is a shame that he did not do the whole arc. A real pity. I consider Sherman one of the best legion artists ever right up there with the young (and the 5YL) Giffen, Lightle and Pat Broderick. Better than Coipiel and Kitson.

So yes, I think Earthwar was a major turning point which lead into what later became the Great Darkness, LSV War, Universo Project and Conspiracy. If they really bring back the Cockrum legion for good, this might be a crucial reprint option...

#55327 07/09/07 04:26 PM
T
Applicant
Applicant
T
I think my favorite Earthwar memory is the introduction of Ontiir. I have always liked that it took 5 years to prove he was a plant.

#55328 07/09/07 04:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by tyrociscool:
Ontiir... it took 5 years to prove he was a plant.
Yeah, but whose? Good memories you bring up. Ontiir was as good a disposible character as Legion has had.

#55329 07/19/07 08:37 AM
Honorary
Honorary
The first Legion comic I ever bought was the conclusion of Earthwar. Of course I went back and got the back issues soon thereafter.
Earthwar was awesome. Political intrigue, mystery, the entire Legion (except Tyroc!) took part, multiple villains for the Legion to fight. It was like three wars in one. And of course the fact that Mordru was behind it all was great, and the way Saturn Girl, Brainy, and E-Lad teamed up to defeat him was awesome.
To answer the OP, I think it was a turning point just because of the scope of the war, and the fact that earth put up that poly shield afterwards. Perhaps it was the beginning of a darker Levitz Legion, too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,874
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Valor1
Valor1
Virginia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star