Roll Call
0 members (), 28 Murran Spies, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/02/24 01:53 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/02/24 01:51 PM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: If life gives you Lemnos...
Ann Hebistand #1001522 04/25/21 06:45 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Starman had definitely been introduced in the Justice Society before Waid left the Legion. I suppose the real question is exactly how far in advance Johns had been planning that. I know Waid had talked about wishing he could use Superboy when he brought Supergirl in, so it must have been a blow when Johns retrofitted his Legion into Superman's history.

I've also thought it was really weird that they assigned Shooter to pick up the threeboot Legion, when they clearly knew that they at that point they were introducing the retroboot team.

But yeah, "Exactly when did you find out that Johns was going to be using the Legion in Superman?" would be a great question to ask Waid.

Lard Lad #1001524 04/25/21 07:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Paladin
That's odd....my memory says the Lightning Saga, etc. happened around Shooter's Threeboot run. Am I totally wrong? confused

You're not that far wrong.

As GL said the real start of the Lightning Saga was JLA #7 with a cover date on May 2007. Released the same month was Supergirl and the LSH #28 still written by Waid. He will write one more issue #30 but the rest are written by Bedard until #38 cover date February 2008 when Shooter takes over.

So yes Waid quits right around the time Lightning Saga starts. Then again Johns must have had this in the plan for a while since Trident who turns out to be Karate Kid has been appearing since JLA #1 some months earlier. As GL says it would be interesting to hear Waid's perspective, although we all tend too remember things differently as the years pass so his memory most likely differs form others around the same time.

stile86 #1001532 04/25/21 08:21 PM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
Originally Posted by stile86
So yes Waid quits right around the time Lightning Saga starts. Then again Johns must have had this in the plan for a while since Trident who turns out to be Karate Kid has been appearing since JLA #1 some months earlier. As GL says it would be interesting to hear Waid's perspective, although we all tend too remember things differently as the years pass so his memory most likely differs form others around the same time.

And that's the rub right there - even though the creators were in the moment, their recollections fail just as much as ours (or even moreso if they are writing multiple books). I have one of those nagging feelings again that I've seen something in print around this subject, but I'm not sure. Given the lead time that is required for planning and writing, then having the artists draw, ink and color, there had to be some kind of communication among the DC writer community. At the very least Mark or someone he knows would have said, "Hey, you're on Legion, why is the older Thom hanging around in the 21st century?"

It kind of seems like one of those situations where you hear second hand that you're about to be sacked.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Ann Hebistand #1001559 04/26/21 09:22 AM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C
Lemnos used his power on this thread since we forgot about him and went off-topic :-)

The whole threeboot vs retroboot deal was one of the weirdest things I've seen in how to handle advertising a book.
Hiring Jim Shooter to write the Legion again felt like a stunt to get readers interested: "Hey remember that this guy who was a really big deal had his start on the Legion? Guess what, he's back after decades!". Shooter can be notoriously difficult to work with so I have no doubt that it was the reason.
And it's not a bad reason! I was kind of losing interest in the threeboot but Shooter's return was an exciting idea.
But at the same time... instead of properly publicizing his relaunch of the threeboot, to me it felt like all the promotion connected to the Legion went anywhere but to the threeboot.
So it becomes: "Hey remember that team that we relaunched by hiring a famous creator? Never mind that, here's a different version introduced by someone who is already writing half of our comics!"

I mean come on, the Legion can already be confusing on its own to someone who isn't a regular Legion fan, but DC seems committed to making it more confusing on purpose. 99% of the reason to do a reboot is to create a jumping point for new readers but they choose to publish two different continuities at the same time? Getting pre-Crisis multiverse vibes here!

Comics_Archeology #1001577 04/26/21 12:35 PM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
Yeah, I think this is right on. I remember distinctly picking this back up when I heard Shooter was back just to give it a shot again. I want to say that I stopped reading because I found the Lightning Saga elements elsewhere in DC to be more interesting to me.

So yeah, it was a bizarre strategy to say the least.

And I always feel like these restarts are either complete continuity resets, or set farther out in time. But the thing is that the time that elapses in a comic book storyline event is maybe a week? I think we feel like the characters age in real time, but they don't, so these complete resets are completely unnecessary, IMO. If you want to "reboot" just set the story out a year (not more!) so you can keep the Legionnaires youthful, but have some with seniority and you can always be rotating in new characters.

It doesn't seem like this should be rocket science. shrug

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Ann Hebistand #1001581 04/26/21 05:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I found this interview with Mark Waid on Cosmic Teams website that has a section on his Threeboot Legion and what happened with the Retroboot:

BM: Was the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES a difficult property to tackle given the numerous incarnations and histories involved with the team even though you essentially relaunched the book? Was this a book you had always had your sights on?

MW: I'd actually already written it for a while back in '94. And next to Superman, it's always been my favorite longtime DC property. Paul Levitz is the only person I'll allow is a bigger lifelong fan of the Legion than I am. I love everything about their history and know it better than I know my own family's. Problem was, that history was badly broken. CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS and the John Byrne SUPERMAN reboot and a few other storylines had really wrecked the Legion's continuity beyond repair, and no matter how fast we ran around trying to patch the raft, some other ripple in DC continuity was blowing another hole in it, to the point where Legion history seemed like nothing BUT hasty patches.

The absolute, irrefutable reality was that by the early 2000s, new-reader perception of the Legion was that it was an impenetrable read full of mismatched history that made no sense. You can argue all you like that this perception wasn't fair or accurate, if you're so inclined, but it didn't matter. That was the series' reputation, and it hardened around the characters like cement. We couldn't give that book away no matter how good it actually was. In fact, it's forgotten, but the last time it was relaunched around about 2000 (as THE LEGION by Abnett and Lanning), you could not have asked for a greater promotional push. Wizard Magazine promoted it with giveaways, and they NEVER promote DC. Ads were everywhere, retailer incentives were created...and it was still pretty well D.O.A.

So in 2005, I was asked if I wanted to come aboard, and I felt there were only two ways to go--either try to get back to Silver Age continuity, which was flatly impossible in part because of the ongoing litigation between the Siegel estate and DC over who owned Superboy--or plant a giant flag that said, "Everything starts fresh here, it's all new, it's a total reboot and we're all on the same page, readers and creators." I chose the latter path, for good or ill. Barry Kitson and I worked out their entire world, including origin material you'll never see, and (at the suggestion of writer Tom Peyer) rethought the Legion as less of a super-team and more of a political movement. And we got some mileage out of it, and I like what we did.

But now we're back to what I was saying before--how liquid DC continuity was at the moment. While we were busting our asses to rebuild the franchise (and getting periodic fan notes from Paul Levitz, which were gold to me), a whole different editorial office was allowing Brad Meltzer to undo absolutely all our hard work for one of his JLA stories, which (he'd been told) could star the 1980s Legion, as if ours never existed. I don't blame Brad at all, but boy, was that mismanaged on all levels--because it was deliberately kept secret from us until it was on the verge of being printed. I would have JUMPED at the chance to play along somehow, thus strengthening a new Legion series that were on about issue four or five of, rather than sending a message that our Legion was just some sort of aberrant fan-fiction. (Yes, I'm still pissed.) Barry and I were dealt with in unbelievable bad faith, which I could have endured, but it wasn't just about Barry and me; it made DC as a whole just look stupid and uncoordinated, and I still love DC enough to hate when that happens.

Eventually, long after Barry and I finished our run, Superboy was returned to DC and Geoff Johns now has the opportunity to re-re-re-relaunch the Legion as its Silver Age incarnation, and more power to him. On the one hand, I wish we'd had that chance, but the timing wasn't right and it wasn't in the stars. On the other hand, I have no regrets because I have to work extra-hard sometimes to convince some readers that I'd much rather move forward than backward.

https://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/docs/artcl-AICN-Mark-Waid.htm

Ann Hebistand #1001582 04/26/21 05:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
One interesting point I had forgotten was that Johns was only writing the Justice Society and Brad Meltzer was writing Justice League, so I guess they were both involved. Waid only refers to Meltzer.

Ann Hebistand #1001583 04/26/21 06:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Here's an interview with Jim Shooter about the time of his start on the Threeboot:
That being said, Shooter says his run does not tie directly into Geoff Johns' upcoming Legion story in "Action Comics," which will feature the team's three founding members, nor will it touch on "Lightning Saga" or "Final Crisis," for that matter.

"Because 'The Legion of Super-Heroes' is 1,000 years in the future, and, in a way, its own little universe , the book isn't as involved with the big crossover stories as most other titles, though the effects will be felt," explained Shooter. "We haven't really tied-in with the 'Lightning Saga' or 'Action Comics' much, but thanks to on-the-ball editor Mike Marts, we've coordinated with them pretty well, I think."

Shooter says the Legion having their own corner of DCU to protect is part of the team's strength, but the tangential line connecting the team to its premier players defines the Legion, as well. "The Legion of Superheroes is as limitless as tomorrow," Shooter declared. "We have a little corner of the DC Universe pretty much to ourselves. Therefore, we can keep our continuity tight and our world consistent. We have all the advantages of being part of the same mythos that contains Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, et al, but very little of the burden."

https://www.cbr.com/back-to-the-future-shooter-talks-legion-of-superheroes/

Ann Hebistand #1001584 04/26/21 06:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
One more interview with Mark Waid (which also goes in to why he rebooted the Legion again and felt going back to classic was not an option) includes this snippet:
Also, Geoff has DC editorial behind him. We did not. We had to get sandbagged by the goddamned "Lightning Saga" in JLA that, no fault of writer Brad Meltzer's, was a total surprise to us and made us look like idiots.
So Waid doesn't blame Johns or Metzler but DC editorial at the time.

https://www.cbr.com/mark-waid-chat-transcript/

Incidentally I am finding most of these through Cosmic Teams Legion Links page which a load of interview links on lots of different eras of the Legion.
https://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/docs/links.html

stile86 #1001590 04/26/21 07:06 PM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
stile these are amazing links. Thanks for finding these! I think I had read the transcript before; that seemed familiar. But the rest were new. The AICN interview was scathing for DC (justifiably). If I were he, I'd not be as magnanimous towards DC, but Mark's probably a better person in that way - nor can he afford to burn any bridges in the industry.

What I find interesting here is that Shooter actually gets it:

Shooter says the Legion having their own corner of DCU to protect is part of the team's strength, but the tangential line connecting the team to its premier players defines the Legion, as well. "The Legion of Superheroes is as limitless as tomorrow," Shooter declared. "We have a little corner of the DC Universe pretty much to ourselves. Therefore, we can keep our continuity tight and our world consistent. We have all the advantages of being part of the same mythos that contains Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, et al, but very little of the burden."

This is exactly right. The only thing enforcing the current DCU on to the happenings of the 31st century (and endless reboots) is the DC/WB executive staff.

Waid's comment here is a bit confusing to me:

The absolute, irrefutable reality was that by the early 2000s, new-reader perception of the Legion was that it was an impenetrable read full of mismatched history that made no sense. You can argue all you like that this perception wasn't fair or accurate, if you're so inclined, but it didn't matter. That was the series' reputation, and it hardened around the characters like cement. We couldn't give that book away no matter how good it actually was. In fact, it's forgotten, but the last time it was relaunched around about 2000 (as THE LEGION by Abnett and Lanning), you could not have asked for a greater promotional push. Wizard Magazine promoted it with giveaways, and they NEVER promote DC. Ads were everywhere, retailer incentives were created...and it was still pretty well D.O.A.

Wasn't that the whole POINT of the Zero Hour reboot that he helped usher? To "fix" this? I'd very much argue with this sentiment. If it is true, then Waid and crew didn't do their jobs well enough. It probably didn't help that half the team spent a year in the 20th, but wow. If the readership of the reboot was declining I really don't think it was the "complexity of the continuity" that was the problem there.

Another interesting link from that site is Shooter discussing the cancellation of the Threeboot. To his credit, he takes the fall, but its also very obvious that he's pulling down DiDio as part of that as well.
Shooter says DCU Executive Editor Dan DiDio directed him to introduce a new "Super" to the team, but the would-be Super Lad never made it to the page. "After delivering the first draft of the 16-issue plot, I was ordered by Dan DiDio to rewrite it - for free - to include the introduction of a young, male Super -- note how I'm avoiding using the word 'Superboy' -- as a Legionnaire. So, I re-crafted the plot to introduce a new scion of the House of El, Super Lad," offered Shooter. "Francis and I spent a good deal of unpaid time doing design work. But, ultimately, DiDio and DC decided they didn't want or need a new Super, and I was told to excise the character.

https://www.cbr.com/shooter-dishes-on-legion-demise/

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 04/27/21 08:44 AM.

Ann Hebistand #1001594 04/26/21 10:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Wow! This isn't about Lemnos at all, now, eh? lol

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #1001596 04/27/21 12:25 AM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C

Perhaps a moderator could move the discussion about reboots to a different thread? It is a verry fascinating topic.

Trying to get back to Lemnos... while the ending to his story was something of a disappointment, I thought he was a very interesting idea for a character.
A villain with the power to be forgotten by everyone who engineers a galactic war to make sure that people WILL remember him? Now that's a very creative basis for a villain, and I can't think of another case like him. Maybe if he had an interesting codename we could've remembered him better? Lemnos is a bit lame.

As per Ann's original post: life gave him Lemnos and he really did try to make lemnoade, :-)

Ivy #1001604 04/27/21 04:02 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Ivy
Thanks, and I have got to say despite being young and the new girl you, Invisible Brainiac, and Ann Hebistand have been so kind and helpful to me, so far it has been really nice getting to know you guys.

I missed this. Thank you, Ivy! kind of you to say, and really glad you're here smile

Gaseous Lad #1001605 04/27/21 04:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by CLANG_Potroast
In the Threeboot, P.L.'s undoing was Shrinking Violet literally bursting from his body in the grand tradition of *Alien*.

Sorry, a small thing here - Violet burst out from Elysion's body, not Lemnos'. Though Elysion WAS working for Lemnos, so this really hurt his plan too
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
Originally Posted by Ivy
Thanks, and I have got to say despite being young and the new girl you, Invisible Brainiac, and Ann Hebistand have been so kind and helpful to me, so far it has been really nice getting to know you guys.

[quote=Ivy]Thanks, and I have got to say despite being young and the new girl you, Invisible Brainiac, and Ann Hebistand have been so kind and helpful to me, so far it has been really nice getting to know you guys.

Aw, thanks. blush smile I'll echo the sentiment being someone who is back after many many years. Its nice to have a place online that's not an internet scream fest.

Equally happy having you here, GL! Thanks for contributing to the respectful and thoughtful discussions here!

Comics_Archeology #1001607 04/27/21 04:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Comics_Archeology

Perhaps a moderator could move the discussion about reboots to a different thread? It is a verry fascinating topic.

Trying to get back to Lemnos... while the ending to his story was something of a disappointment, I thought he was a very interesting idea for a character.
A villain with the power to be forgotten by everyone who engineers a galactic war to make sure that people WILL remember him? Now that's a very creative basis for a villain, and I can't think of another case like him. Maybe if he had an interesting codename we could've remembered him better? Lemnos is a bit lame.

As per Ann's original post: life gave him Lemnos and he really did try to make lemnoade, :-)

it's a good idea. but I was looking back through the conversation, and I'm trying to find a natural cutting point. a lot of the earlier posts transition between speaking of Lemnos, explaining the Threeboot, and talking about other Boots. so I'm having a hard time identifying a clear jumping off point that would make a new thread seem to start naturally smile

Comics_Archeology #1001612 04/27/21 04:50 AM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
Originally Posted by Comics_Archeology

I was going to say, if this has become a problem, let's move this over to a different thread.

And so - I apologize. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mI7ldxcio0

Invisible Brainiac #1001616 04/27/21 06:03 AM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Sorry, a small thing here - Violet burst out from Elysion's body, not Lemnos'. Though Elysion WAS working for Lemnos, so this really hurt his plan too

Yep - it was "Atom Girl"s big reveal a year into the story. I think I pulled the Elysion thing earlier in the thread, but yeah its splitting hairs since Lemnos was the "Darth Sidious" of the action.

This is a really great recap of the issue: http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/2016/04/threeboot-legion-of-super-heroes-12.html

Equally happy having you here, GL! Thanks for contributing to the respectful and thoughtful discussions here!

Thanks brother! smile

it's a good idea. but I was looking back through the conversation, and I'm trying to find a natural cutting point.

I think EDE's post would probably be the best spot - https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1001506#Post1001506

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 04/27/21 06:05 AM.

Ann Hebistand #1001618 04/27/21 06:30 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I don't believe there's really a convenient way to split threads, so unless Fickles or someone else just feels really strongly about us highjacking her thread or something, I'd suggest just continuing here.

Ann Hebistand #1001620 04/27/21 06:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
yup, agree with EDE (thanks for the suggestion though GL!) the thread bounces back and forth so I'm happy keeping this thread as is despite the shift in topics smile

Ann Hebistand #1001622 04/27/21 08:26 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Fine by me, too! smile

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #1001623 04/27/21 08:30 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I thought the villain was pretty interesting.
I think he was just another villain out to make money through extortion though

Ann Hebistand #1001624 04/27/21 08:52 AM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
I'm going to have to re-read that storyline, but as we are talking Lemnos (getting back to the topic lol) I remember thinking that he was the Legion's version of The Mule from "Foundation and Empire," only physically charismatic. Otherwise the two seemed to have the same types of character traits of the guy pulling the strings. Only real difference being that the Mule didn't get as much of an ego trip (again, to my memory).

Lard Lad #1001625 04/27/21 08:52 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

I wasn't really complaining! Just making an observation! lol

I would be more afraid that with the flow of conversation being interrupted, any new thread might just die on the vine. I've seen it happen before when we try to spin a thread off for that reason. So, no worries! smile

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #1001626 04/27/21 08:57 AM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
LOL no worries here either - I had just looked back and saw that two pages (for my config anyway) were pretty much about the fiasco around the ending of the threeboot, so it DID seem excessive. But I'm cool with it too if everyone else is! smile

Gaseous Lad #1001628 04/27/21 10:02 AM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C
I remember thinking that he was the Legion's version of The Mule from "Foundation and Empire," only physically charismatic.

Any chance to talk about Asimov makes my day :-)

Only real difference being that the Mule didn't get as much of an ego trip (again, to my memory).

Not really at first (though it's hard to tell if it's an act since we don't know he's the Mule at first), but he did become a bit of a megalomaniac believing he was invincible (and he kind of was, considering that he's not really defeated but the galaxy basically waits for him to die)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,849
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000