Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Re: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
#105384 07/11/11 02:28 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:

[Linked Image]

lol

Love it!

When I first saw it, I thought you had me wandering around on a pogo stick! But either that or a cane is fine. laugh

I also love how you worked in "HWW". Very clever.

Thanks, Ex.
You know those negative space pics where you at first see a vase, then two faces, and afterward you just can't unsee the second image?

When I was doing this one, it had sort of a somber feel to me - this solitary guy wandering across the land with his staff... but, now, I totally keep seeing the pogo stick thing.

lol

Too funny! I should have tried to angle the path backward more but, clearly, diminishing perspective isn't my strong suit.

Really glad you like it, though!

#105385 07/11/11 09:37 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
A couple quick updates as our cinematic duo prepares to take the LMB story to the silver screen. We have Actor Lad and Director Lad:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next up: A couple of detectives track down the "Case of the LMB Enigma"

#105386 07/11/11 10:17 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Before the next round, I think we've had enough updates to warrant another group shot:

[Linked Image]

Looking pretty good... though I do need something to break up the similar shapes of Mystery Lad and Nighty. Where is "My Whee Fem" when I need her?

42 down... 90 something to go! And, as yet, there's no Sharky or Sarky or Peebs... oh my! We've got a whole clan worth of Quanks... and I don't know about you, but I've yet to see a sign of a certain nelly cap. Jillikers!

Should be a fun couple of weeks. smile

#105387 07/12/11 01:02 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
how about adding the "BamF" to Nightcrawler? just a black cloud Bamf! ? thats more fit to the Night's character. whenever I have some conversation with friends, I tend to say "that NC Bamf then Bamf then Bamf" (I am speaking in ASL, smile , which signifies NC's teleportation power.) How about that? That would set both NC and Mystery Lad apart.

#105388 07/12/11 07:00 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Yeah, I'm thinking you're right (Set had mentioned something like that earlier as well). I think the tail works well, but perhaps a cloud at the bottom of it.

Seeing them all lined up, there are actually a few revisions I'll probably make later:

-The Interlac logos for myself and Varalent, although actually scaled the same as any other, still look overly huge when seen side by side because of their blockiness. I think I'll make them smaller.

-Rhino should be smaller as well. It is a good logo, but he is " lil' " Rhino, after all.

-The borders on Saturn Girl and Shady are actually messed up - I accidentally added them when viewing it at 150% as opposed to 100 and misjudged.

-Novelty is canted slightly counter-clockwise and should be straightened (it's probably not that noticable, but I can totally see it).

-And the center of Lash's whip really bothers me.

Ah... OCD. wink

#105389 07/12/11 07:13 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
If you're revising some anyway, it may be easier to work with this streamlined rockhopper logo that Sketch Lad made.

This is absolutely one of the coolest threads I've seen here in a long while! Great job, Ex! laugh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#105390 07/12/11 06:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Exnihil:

-And the center of Lash's whip really bothers me.

Ah... OCD. wink
...giggle....at least I am not the only one who think something else...giggle. lol tease

#105391 07/12/11 07:07 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
If you're revising some anyway, it may be easier to work with this streamlined rockhopper logo that Sketch Lad made.
That is sleek! Sketchy is really the man. The next time I do a group shot, Rocky, I'll convert that into this format for you.

For now though, we take a look at a mysterious LMBer and the two most likely to be able to track him down. We have C J Taylor (AKA Enigma), Legion Tracker, and Matlock:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll be honest, I don't really know CJ (but as his LMB name is Enigma, I suppose that's appropriate), so the approach I was going to take was to just try to tie his symbol into the Enigma encryption machine from WWII. That turned out to be not very graphic friendly, so I then tried a different approach, playing around with different arrangements of question marks. In doing so I noticed that if you turn a question mark upside down and then reflect it back on itself it seems to suggest the letters... C and J! Coincidence?!?! Somehow... I don't think so. wink

For Legion Tracker I used a compass rose pointing to... well... Legion. smile Looking at it now, it looks a lot like Dawnstar's headband symbol, so, hey... doubly appropriate for a tracker.

For Matlock I was going to use the logo for the Andy Griffith version of the character, but that was a bit boring, so I added a sort of Carmen Sandiego magnifying glass. A little bit hokey... yeah... but I think it looks nice.

Rocky's link above put me in this mindset, so up next: We take a look at some of the sketchier LMB members.

#105392 07/12/11 08:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
... I always thought 'lil' Rhino meant big Rhino actually ....

#105393 07/12/11 10:26 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
... wait... are you saying the "horn" he's talking about is actually...

<slowly dawning awareness>

Ohhhhhhhhh! smile

OK, up next, three of Legion Worlds best artists, Drake B 3004, Monkey-Eater Lad, and Sketch Lad:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drake and M-E each use logos of their own design. Drake's is obviously a modified Wildfire logo used in his avatar, and M-E's is a combo of Pacman going after Paul Frank's Julius the Monkey character.

For Sketchy I really wanted to use the M.C. Escher drawing hands, but based on previous attempts to do this style using more than three layers, I didn't have much hope. It shouldn't have worked... I don't know why it worked... but, damn... I'm so glad it worked!

Next up: It's about time.

#105394 07/13/11 12:21 AM
Active
Active
Very nice.

♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦
#105395 07/13/11 01:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
hey I just got a new avatar!!! and hey Ex - those are great!!!! Love that Sketch Lad symbol!

#105396 07/13/11 06:07 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks again, everyone!

Just a note - These symbols are just my take on your characters, based only upon what I know of you here. If anyone likes this style, but would like to see something other than what I came up with, just shoot me a note and I'll gladly give it a second shot (or heck, a third even). I just like messing around in PhotoShop. smile

So, tonight's update travels even farther ahead as we get two similarly named LMBers, Future and Future King:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I debated on how best to represent Future, until I found a pretty cool piece of clip art, modified here (and with a more appropriate time for Legion fans added as an Easter Egg).

Since I didn't want Future and Future King to be too similar, the latter is just me being incredibly cheeky. wink

Next up: I'm actually out of pocket tomorrow night for a concert (U2!) so I'm only going to post one new symbol tomorrow, but it is appropriately themed.

#105397 07/14/11 01:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Awesome project! Thank you, Ex.

#105398 07/14/11 08:09 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, Sketchy!

As mentioned above, today will be a light day for updates as I give the computer a rest.

Don't worry, though, I'll:

[Linked Image]

Reboot it again tomorrow.

Up next: The LMB - Swimsuit edition

(I've gotta get this one out there before Comicon, or a certain selachimorphic fellow might just tear me to shreds. smile )

#105399 07/14/11 02:02 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Really great designs Ex, you really knocked it out of the park

#105400 07/14/11 06:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
way way out of the park...more likely out of TWO Parks!

#105401 07/15/11 12:11 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, guys!

Well it's a sunny day today, so let's bike down to the beach, do a little surfing, a little girl watching, and a little boating... wait a minute... what's that?

Uh, oh. We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Today's updates are Bicycle Repair Man, Hot Chick, Mine Surfer, Shark Lad, and Sonnie:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't know Sonnie, but I do know that he uses his own painting of a reclining Buddha as his avatar, so I used a Buddhist dharma wheel, which also serves as a sort of a play on words as its shape suggests a sun to me.

BRM is fairly self explanatory - a bike with a first aid logo - as is Mine Surfers - a surfboard with the old "minesweeper" smiley.

I don't know the full story of Lardy's character Hot Chick, but I think there might be some evil lurking there, so I like how the bikini almost looks like a slightly evil smile.

And Sharky... well... if I gotta tell you. wink

Up next: In honor of the expectant dad at the top of this page, and the impending reboo... er... relaunch... we meet, "The LMB Dark".

#105402 07/15/11 12:16 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Terrific project, Exnihil! Very inspired designs here. Thanks for the monitor board symbol.

#105403 07/15/11 01:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

[Linked Image]
Looks like I've got my next t-shirt design...

Seriously awesome, Ex! Just perfect!

This whole series is amazing!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#105404 07/15/11 01:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Shark Lad's is awesome, and I really like the sinister bathing suit,I totally saw a smirk the first time I saw it.

#105405 07/15/11 10:58 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, guys. Can't really take much credit for Sharky's as the movie poster image is pretty much the definition of iconic, all I did in my redrawing is just widen and give a little more symmetry to ol' Bruce's smile.

Well, I see by the clock that's it's after midnight, and that's when the ghouls and goblins of the LMB come out to prey. So run for your lives, here comes Blacula, Dedman, Ghost of Numf-El, and RTVU2 (known on occasion as Count Vudoo).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Blacula's is a retooled bit of the poster for the 70's flick, "Blacula" (what else?)

Deddy's is a reworked version of the original DC Deadman logo into an Interlac version. I know interlac shouldn't be hollow, but as a solid it looked like nothing but a rippled blob

I don't know who Numf-El is, but I assumed that even a Kryptonian ghost would still wear a headband. That little Pacman fellow's band is also topped with a Kryptonian "N".

Again, I'm not familiar with rtvu2, but I do know from LMB history that he was called Count Vudoo and ran a place called the Vudoo Lounge, so I thought him a good fit with our other horror-themed members.

Up next: Let's hear it for the boys!

#105406 07/16/11 12:50 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't know who Numf-El is, but I assumed that even a Kryptonian ghost would still wear a headband.
I do recall the ghost of (pre-Byrne) Jor-El having a headband when he got a cover. So yeah, Kryptonians don't seem to change outfits when they die, only when rebooted.

#105407 07/16/11 01:07 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
^ smile

Boys will be boys. Doubly so if they're in the LMB. Today we've got: Blockade Boy, Lad Boy, Portfolio Boy, Power Boy and Star Boy:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Star Boy is a direct LSH lift.

For Portfolio Boy, I went with a little artistic license and actually based it off a briefcase (but at least it was a Ralph Lauren briefcase. Stay classy, LMB. wink )

For Lad Boy I like the double male symbol, but it looked very odd facing the same way (like the symbol was pregnant with a baby symbol) so I flipped the little one to try to balance it.

I had the same problem with my original Blockade Boy that I had with my own (too substantial and blocky) so I tried to vary it up a bit with more of a fence-type blockade.

And for Peebs, I wanted to suggest both his name (in the form of like an atom, or a nova) and at the same time his origins (from Apokolips). The problem is that, for me at least, "Kirby Krackle" is a monster to do. I must have redone those rings like 10 times, and I still don't think I got it entirely. I think those pocky energy lines that Kirby did must work best as a flat effect, and the embossing here makes it seem odd. Let me know what you think, Peebs. If you don't like it I can try something different.

Next up: Are you guys twins?

#105408 07/16/11 01:17 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Note to Rocky:

I tried to reply to your PM, but it said your box was full. Long story short, though: "Absolutely, will do!" smile

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,830
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star