Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Re: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
#105509 08/25/11 06:52 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Exnihil:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That would make an awesome wallpaper.

#105510 08/26/11 01:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I love that Floating Foxlike message board symbol!
nod
It, along with the rat catcher and the original rockhopper are my favorite of the animal symbols.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105511 08/26/11 01:19 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Rat catcher? Hmmm... which do you mean, Shady? The Fat Cramer coffee cup one?

#105512 08/26/11 08:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
gads
No, the one above that's the first one in the second row from the bottom, just above Tromium.
sigh
It's not a rat?
:rolleyes:
Oh, it IS a rat, STU, to be exact.
I thought the tail was a type of trap but now that I know who it is, I can clearly see that it's a tail.
And a very nice one, too.
gads

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105513 08/27/11 11:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great Thread EX! I wish I'd seen it before yesterday! I absolutely love the Quank Family symbols you've done so far and I can't wait to see what you come up with for Abin, Pagan Lass, Stoopid Cat, and Gary Concord.

One suggestion, Abin's symbol should comine a Power Ring with a Trash Can. He is after all the the Legion World Janitor...

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#105514 08/27/11 12:19 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, Abin!

Your suggestion is not exactly the design I had for Abin... but very much on the right track. I should be posting that one by the end of next week and I think you'll be really pleased. Let me know what you think and, if after seeing it, you'd still like the trash can, I can do another, no problem.

Of the others, I was going to do one for Pagan Lass and Stoopid Cat, but was actually going to skip Gary Concord (because I don't quite understand his story). If you have time, though, could you pop over to THIS THREAD and clue me in?

So, today we have two LMBers whose symbols will, no doubt, be showing up shortly in the Legion World tattoo parlor:

Helena Handbasket and Hrun the Barbarian

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Helena is a former soldier of the Dark Oval who defected to the side of the LMB (losing an arm in the process). Her symbol here is a pretty literal translation, a handbasket on a pitchfork. The circle of flames I added after the fact because the center portion seemed a bit thin for the space it was in, and hey... a circle is a type of oval, right?

Hrun the Barbarian is the battle-hungry papa of Everyday Girl. For his symbol, I was originally going to use a double bladed axe (ala Conan), but again, went the route of better filling the space with two axes crossed. I experimented a bit with a shield in the middle, but as Barbarian shields are more rounded than sharp curved, it wound up looking a little too blocky and substantial. Besides... Hrun don't need no stinkin' shield!

Up next: It's Ladies Night... again...

#105515 08/28/11 10:58 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
OK, playing catchup with a couple quick ones that I accidentally missed in previous waves. Two more lovely ladies join the ranks as we meet Mechana and Nova Girl:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though quite a few comic professionals pop onto our board, I think only Mechana (AKA colorist Ronda Pattison), by virtue of her posting frequency and her joining in on the big LMB meetup in 2008, has joined the ranks as an "official" LMBer. Though she uses the Futurama character, Bender, as her avatar, I felt that an Atomic Robo symbol would be more fitting, given her fantastic work on that book over the years.

I'm not that familiar with Nova Girl, but I do know that she was serving as co-deputy leader of the LMB when I first joined up. As her avatar logo is quite similar to the compass rose that I used earlier for Legion Tracker, I tried to differentiate her symbol, by opting for a take on the helmet symbol used by the female version of the Marvel character, Nova.

Since it's a bit slim this time out, I also want to add a bonus symbol - a "Take 2" for the earlier one I did for Karie. The first time out I just used a Southern Cross to symbolize her New Zealand origins, but - as I mentioned a few posts back - I felt this had been superseded by the one for Ricardo, which was inclusive of that constellation. But, then, someone reminded me that there was a more important constellation to Karie, her zodiac sign of Scorpio, so much so that she recently got it tattooed. Say no more... Karie, take 2:

[Linked Image]

Up next:

- Yes, sir.
- Yes,"sir"?
- "S," sir?
- Si, senor.

#105516 08/29/11 12:01 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The robot is cool, the star is gorgeous and no one will mistake Karie's for anyone elses, ever.
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105517 08/29/11 10:13 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Bit of a potpourri this time out, as I'm nearing the end of the "Summer of Symbols" and unifying themes are running a bit thin. Tonight, we're all over the map with two from the top 100, and two more from below, as we meet:

Leap Lear Lord, Senor Widebottom, Sir Roy, and 235 Andy S:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For Leap Year Lord (Formerly Leap Year Lass - but that's an anagram of "Slay Laser Ape" and I'm sure no one wants that!) I was at a bit of a loss, so went with a pretty literal take - a leap over a calendar passing the 29th. If that leaper looks eerily familiar, don't worry about it, I'm sure a nice FTD pick-me-up bouquet will help that feeling pass. wink

The natural symbol for Senor Widebottom would have been, of course, his trademark pair of comically oversized pantaloons, but I couldn't get that image to be evocative enough without some sort of pattern on the pants (and I'm not actually that adept enough in Photoshop to pull it off). So, instead, I tried a few different elements of "clown" paraphernalia - a seltzer bottle, balloon animals - before setting on the bike horn to tie it nicely into the fact that he's part of the lil' Rhino family of characters.

Sir Roy was formerly part of the Knights of Legion World until he recently met his end valiantly during a fight with the Red Bee. For Roy I went with a sort of heraldic shield with an Interlac "R" balanced out by a fleur de lis to suggest his nobility.

I don't know Andy S at all (he stopped posting long before I arrived here) and unfortunately there is not much in either his name or the posts he made to suggest anything to me beyond a pretty literal translation. I did find an old photomanip by Monkey Eater Lad, though, which suggested that Andy was a Karate Kid fan, so I went with a yin yang symbol inverted to form an "S," with the "235" - for which I don't know the significance - in Interlac below.

Up next: We watch some Flight of the Concords... and decide it's pretty Stoopid.

#105518 08/29/11 11:11 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Actually, the "R" on Sir Roy's emblem has a double meaning. In addition to Roy, it also can represent that he was knighted by Rockhopper Lad in his position as heir to the throne of the Pyngwyn Colonies--Roy had previously been the Royal Inquisitor. The "R" also represents his patron, Rockhopper Lad.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#105519 08/30/11 11:08 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Actually, the "R" on Sir Roy's emblem has a double meaning. In addition to Roy, it also can represent that he was knighted by Rockhopper Lad in his position as heir to the throne of the Pyngwyn Colonies--Roy had previously been the Royal Inquisitor. The "R" also represents his patron, Rockhopper Lad.
Very cool! That's what, back in the day, Bob Ross used to call, "a happy little accident". smile

#105520 08/30/11 10:30 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
It's time to pay another visit to the Family Quank as we meet:

Gary Concord and Stoopid Cat:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As I noted on the last page, I wasn't that familiar with Gary's story, but Abin was kind enough to fill me in. Gary Concord is actually a parallel world version of Cobalt Kid whose version of the LMB has been destroyed by that world's version of Nightcrawler (called the Day Walker). This world is separated from Legion World by a realm called the Banned 'Em Zone, the gate to which is accessible via a system of tesseracts. A couple years back, Gary made the decision to remain in the Banned 'Em Zone to perpetually defend this gate against the Day Walker's assault. He remains there today. The symbol I chose for Gary works, I think, on several levels. As a tesseract, primarily it reflects Gary's current fate. At the same time, however, it also acts as a counterpoint to Cobie's own symbol - the outward projected rings. Cobie's is round - Gary's is straight; Cobie's is projecting outward, Gary's inward. I think the two are a very good reflection of one another.

Stoopid Cat was the former familiar of the late mage Pagan Lass. I'm not entirely familiar with SC, but I do know that he, along with Pagan Lass and STU, originated in Pre-Egyptian times and is extremely long lived. At one point, Stoopid Cat actually rose to the ranks of LMB deputy co-leader! For his symbol, I had no hesitation... it had to be the Cheshire Cat. This is to reflect the fact that he is, certainly, in reality, far from "stupid", but more likely operating on a level of logic foreign to most that he interacts with, but also, and more importantly, to reflect his strong connection to a woman named Alice.

Up next: The DOC is in.

#105521 08/31/11 04:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fantastic! You nailed Stoopid Cat & Gary Concord! Fabulous! Just Fabulous!

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#105522 08/31/11 08:58 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I like the tessaract thingie for Gary Concord! Very cool!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#105523 09/03/11 06:10 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
OK, back from story writing hiatus.

As I mentioned in the hint before the break, it's time to see the DOC...

That is to say, three LMBers beginning respectively with D, O, and C (What? Were you expecting someone else? wink :

Double Chinner, Outdoor Miner, and Clive (AKA Virgin Lad)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Let me tell you... I had a dickens of a time with Double Chinner. I probably tried more designs with his than with anyone else's. Even though he uses a Bouncing Boy avatar, I really didn't want to go with a fat joke. I tried of doing a variation on Double-Header; using an image of the Roman God Janus; using one of those optical illusions where you see one face, then a different one; using a sort of Picasso thing where half a face is facing forward overlapped by another in profile. Then one night, I was drinking wine with my wife and she said "cin cin" to toast - which is pronounced, "chin chin" - and I thought, "Hmmm... haven't tried that." So, basically, what you are looking at here is a figure/ground illusion where the stem of each glass has two faces coming together at the chin, then the glasses themselves are toasting as a reference to "cin cin". I guess technically that's six chins altogether... but, seriously... I ain't doing this one again! lol

"Outdoor Miner" is apparently a song by the band Wire about serpentine leaf miners - these larva that burrow though leaves, creating these totally cool maze like patterns (do a search... it's pretty cool). Though I don't know for certain, I can only imagine this reference was very much intended by our Outdoor Miner, as that basically is what his avatar Gates is - a bug that burrows through space. His symbol here is pretty straight forward, one of those serpentine mazes made atop an Interlac O.

Virgin Lad was "Clive"... a Lardbot who achieved his own independent sentience and resided on Legion World for a while. He was the co-deputy leader of the LMB when I first joined here and was the head of the Legion World Department of Moral Purity. He met his end during the LMB case called "The Thyme Crime". His symbol here is a variation on the standard "Man" symbol that I earlier used for Arm Fall Off Boy and Arms Fall Off Boy, but obviously tweaked such that Clive can protect his... um... honor.

Up next: Oh, all right... since this time the DOC was in... next time the DOC is out... waaaaaaaaay out.

#105524 09/03/11 06:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
lol love that design of Doublechinner - no need to explain, I can see how you go with it! and heh Clive, it makes me chuckle, too!!! lol

#105525 09/03/11 08:46 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Now... a symbol for a dear, dear friend of the LMB:

[Linked Image]

I'm sorry... I'm overcome with emotion... I feel that any explanation would only betray this moment.

Next up: Should auld acquaintance be forgot...

#105526 09/03/11 08:53 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
*choke* It... it's beautiful, Ex.

#105527 09/03/11 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Two thumbs up!!!

lol

#105528 09/03/11 09:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Exnihil:
[Linked Image]
Thank you so much for including me! I know I'm not around much, but you're all in my thoughts, always love

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#105529 09/03/11 10:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yay Spellbinder stopped by!!!

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#105530 09/05/11 12:42 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, Spellbinder! It's pretty coincidental that you should pop by just before this next wave which actually includes your twin brother. smile

It's time to meet a few members of the LMB leadership ranks from bygone days, as up next are the symbols for:

The Crusader, Freekinos, Grey Birdboy, Omega Man, and Seahorse:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As mentioned above, Crusader is Spellbinder's twin, Mykel Jectra of Psyonia, who was the LMB Year 2 Deputy under Loser Lad, only to be elected leader himself the following term. The next leader, at the beginning of Year 3, was Seahorse (formerly BellBookCandle). Both of the above symbols were designed by Cru, though they've been touched up a bit for this format.

Our other three past leaders each served as deputies during Year 4. First Omega Man (who was later turned into France by Turns-You-Into-A-Country-Fred!), then Grey Birdboy (a Starhavenite who still soars on the starwinds; a more passionate pteraphile you are not likely to meet), and finally, Freekinos (a warrior/artist who, along with Sketch Lad and Kid Marvel, produced some of the most enduring LMB portraits ever). Omega Man's is a fairly self evident symbol, following an earlier Greek symbol I used for Harbinger; Grey's is a combination of a nice wing design I found, along with his character's headband starburst, and Freekinos (sometimes Freek'd Kid), following an earlier design by Kid Marvel, uses an Interlac-ed version of the logo for the cartoon character, Freakazoid.

Up next: Hall of Heroes (Part I)

#105531 09/05/11 12:49 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Go, Ex, go! What a great set of additions for some historical LMBers.

#105532 09/05/11 07:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
sigh
Just a huge, huge smile.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105533 09/11/11 04:43 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Just a bump for the next page...

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,830
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star