Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 32 Murran Spies, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
#105534 09/11/11 04:45 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
While this project has focused mostly on the fictional aspects of the folks who have have been a part of the LMB, there have been a few times when that line has been blended, with aspects of real life creeping in. For this and the next wave, that real life aspect will be all too apparent, as we take a look at a few friends who have unfortunately passed on.

I debated on how inclusive I should make this section, initially deciding that I would feature just the three individuals who were most associated with the LMB aspect of the various boards where this group has resided. The more I thought about it, however, I decided that I would expand that selection to one other character (which will be included in the next wave) who - although he was an alt - was one of the more fully realized characters in the LMB story.

For this wave, however, I'd like to pay my respects to:

Looks That Kill Lad and Pagan Lass:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks That Kill Lad was early member of the LMB who, unfortunately, I never got to "meet" online. Reading what others have written about him, however, I realized how deeply his loss to the community was felt. In his memorial thread, I read that his favorite book was "Lord of the Rings", a passage from which was read during his memorial. Accordingly, I was going to use a take on the "Eye of Sauron" for his symbol here, but thought it more appropriate to go with the more hopeful "Eye of Providence" seen in so many symbols to signify the aspect of watching over new endeavors.

Pagan Lass is, of course, the late wife of Abin Quank. Though she, herself, didn't often post on LW, leaving the story of her adventures in the capable hands of her husband, Abin has written in the past how much our fictional world delighted and amused her. For her symbol here, I've combined the traditional female symbol with two pagan symbols - the triple phased moon representing the aspects of the goddess and the pentacle, representing the balance of the five elements.

Up next: Hall of Heroes (Part II)

#105535 09/11/11 05:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Beautiful stuff Ex.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#105536 09/11/11 10:24 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Of all the people that I've gotten to know on this board over the last three years, there is none that I've become acquainted with as poignantly as I have with the Yellow Kid .

I had seen him posting, both in his primary ID and in his alt, the Gay Green Giant, for about six months or so after I joined before really "meeting" him, but when I did so, in the midst of an LMB roleplay, I was just astounded at how creative he was... just a fount of remarkable ideas.

We worked fairly closely together throughout that roleplay, bouncing ideas back and forth. Sadly, however, it would be the last time I would have that opportunity... as he died in an accident just a few short months later.

That being said, since YK left us, I've probably become more familiar with his writing than I have with anyone else's... acting as a proxy to preserve the characters he created for the LMB wiki. I've written, I believe, about 15 or so articles for YK's characters and, in doing so, have come to such an appreciation for what a true talent was lost when Art passed.

So, in his memory, I wanted to create a symbol for at least the two main characters (of the many) in the Primary Color Gang:

The Gay Green Giant and The Yellow Kid:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For YK himself, I used the silhouette of his inspiration, the original comic character, Richard F. Outcault's "The Yellow Kid". The intersecting circles springing from his mind are a color wheel representing the Red, Blue and Green components of YK's group, The Primary Color Gang. Beginning their careers initially as adversaries to the LMB, they very quickly became tight allies, fighting alongside them to the end. Though the Red and Blue components rotated through a wide number of characters throughout the years, the Green remained constant - Bob, The Gay Green Giant (sometimes called Triple G or just 3G).

That a character existed in the LMB universe that was a gay, green-skinned, drag queen who could grow to 100 feet tall is not remarkable in itself. That Bob should also be both an incredibly competent and sympathetic character... and merely have those traits be aspects of his character and not the full definition... and be completely accepted (and enjoyed) in a community that spans a wide variety of lifestyles... and be written by a someone who was straight... makes him, in my opinion, nothing short of a great character. There are a great number of professional writers who I feel could take a page or two from YK's book. For the design I used the transgender symbol, increased in scale to represent the "giant" aspect, enclosing a lip-sticked kiss.

Up next:

Well... for me, at least, it has really been the "Summer of Symbols". Over the past two months I've posted 149 "official" symbols, as well as several earlier versions of ones that were still evolving. All that's left to do... before I finish off with an even 150 and call it a wrap... is to stack up the chairs and sweep the place up.

If only there were an LMBer I could call to help me out with that...

#105537 09/15/11 08:16 PM
Active
Active
Love these, very awesome!

Lady Kat - The White Raven
#105538 09/15/11 08:29 PM
Leader
Leader
No way! Yet another example of Ex's awesomeness that I've missed until now!

Great work, Ex!

#105539 09/16/11 07:16 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, guys!

I swear I have one more in the hopper (as well as the final group shot), but I haven't had a lot of time this week to finish it up. This weekend, though (I actually set myself a deadline to wrap up this project before summer ended, looks like I'm taking that down to the wire. smile )

#105540 09/18/11 01:45 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Drumroll.... aaaaaaaaaaand.... LMB Symbol #150!

For ketchup drip or coleslaw drop...
For carelessly spilled soda pop...
Let those who leave behind their slop...
Beware the power... of Abin's Mop!

[Linked Image]

Abin Quank, apart from being the Green Lantern ring-wielding patriarch of the ever-expanding Quank Clan, is, of course, also the Legion World janitor. I like to imagine the moment when he was given the ring, being told, "With this ring, your willpower can accomplish anything your mind can imagine," and then Abin thinking, "Yes! Finally I can get those stubborn scuffs off the HQ floor!"

For his symbol, I wanted to combine these two seemingly disparate ideas, when it occurred to me that someone who didn't give up his janitorial duties simply because he was granted supreme power would, of course, put the power battery to practical use... promptly fashioning it into a more appropriate tool of his trade. I'm not sure if it shows up at this scale, but the little "caution" symbol on the side of the bucket is also a GL logo.

Next up:

It's the fiiiiiinal Group Shot! Da-da, dum, dum... da-da, dum, dum, dum...

Ahem... sorry... Europe flashback there... but, yes: it's time to put all the pretty pictures in a row and bid farewell to this project... stay tuned...

#105541 09/18/11 02:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
cant wait and i l be there!

#105542 09/18/11 04:19 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Ladies and gentlemen...

The Legion of Message Board Posters:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WHO'S WHO:

1. Abin Quank, Actor Lad, Arachne, Arm Fall Off Boy, Arms Fall Off Boy, Awkward Pause Boy, Beagle Boy (Beagz), Bicycle Repair Man

2. Blacula, Blockade Boy, Blue Battler, The Boy with Ultra Powers (Matt), Caliente, Cleome, Cobalt Kid

3. The Crusader, Crymsun Kid, Dedman, Dev-Em, Director Lad, Doctor Mayavale, Doctor One, Double Chinner

4. Drake B 3004, Enigma (C.J. Taylor), Eryk Davis Ester, Everyday Girl, Exnihil, Fanfic Lady, Faraway Lad

5. Fat Cramer, Ferro Boy, Floating Foxlike Creature, Freekinos (Freek'd Kid), Frio, Future, Future King, Gamara

6. Gary Concord, The Gay Green Giant (3G), The Ghost of Numf-El, Giant Robotic Lesbian, Gigglebot Girl, Grey Birdboy, Harbinger

7. He Who Wanders (LSHes), Helena Handbasket, High Priestess Viviane, Hot Chick (Kalla Hrykos), Hrun the Barbarian, Icefire, Invisible Brainiac, Jailbait Lass (Lolita)

8. Jerry, Jim Gallagher, Karie, Kenaustin, Kent Shakespeare, Kid Charlemagne, Kid Flash 2 Fan

9. Kid Marvel, Kid Prime, Kid Quislet, Kid Vudoo (rtvu2), Korbal, Krypton Kid, The Labradorian, Lad Boy

10. Lance's Realm, Language Arts Lad (Dave), Lard Lad, Lash Lad, Leap Year Lord (or Lass), l.e.g.i.o.nJOHN, Legion Reference File Lad (Chaim Mattis Keller)

11. Legion Tracker, Lightning Lad, l'il Rhino, Lonestar Ranger, Lone Wolf Legionnaire, Looks That Kill Lad, Loser Lad, Lucien Lad (Bevis)

12. Malvolio, Matlock, Matthew E, Mattropolis, Mechana, Minesurfer, Monkey Eater Lad

13. Mystery Lad, My Whee Fem. Nightcrawler, Nova Girl, Novelty, Omega Man, Omni Craig, Outdoor Miner

14. Pagan Lass, Paris Cub, Polar Boy, Portfolio Lad, Poverty Lad, Power Boy, Professor H-0011 (profh0011)

15. Quislet Esq., Raging Bull, Ram Boy, Reboot, Red Arrow, The Red Bee, Ricardo, Rickshaw

16. Rockhopper Lad, Rouge (Dave Hackett), Sam Pureheart, Sarcasm Kid, Saturn Girl, Seahorse, Semi-Transparent Fellow

17. Senor Widebottom. Set, Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass, Shark Lad, Sir Roy, Sketch Lad, Sonnie, Space Ranger

18. Space Tart, Spellbinder, Star Boy, Stoopid Cat, STU, Suddenly Seymour, Superboy MDD Jr.

19. Tamper Lad, Tempest, Thriftshop Debuntante, Timber Wolf, Time Teller Lad, Tromium, 235 Andy S, Ultra-Jorge

20. Varalent (Vee), Virgin Lad (Clive), Walk With Crowds, White Raven (Whitelighter), Xben, The Yellow Kid (YK), Zardi - The Eternal Man

#105543 09/18/11 04:33 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Exnihil:
[Linked Image]

When I saw that I had a logo in the big shot I had to go back through and look, I think I'm in love with both the full shot and the single. You really do fantastic work!! Thank you so much for this!! laugh

Lady Kat - The White Raven
#105544 09/18/11 04:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Standing O.
Take a bow, Ex.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#105545 09/18/11 07:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Bravisimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#105546 09/18/11 09:14 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Insert applause icon here. Wonderful work on each and every one, Ex. It makes a great display of your hard and creative work. I love the last one for Abin - genius.

#105547 09/18/11 09:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Jerry:
Standing O.
Take a bow, Ex.
And another! "Ex"-cellent work!

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#105548 09/19/11 07:53 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Bravo, Ex! You're creativity and talent are impressive!

#105549 09/19/11 11:22 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
cool

Now you can do montage works of each individual poster. Put their symbol at the center and surround it with all their classic one-liners, catchphrases, artworks, etc.

Oh, and make them dance.

And each one needs a musical theme. About forty-five seconds should do it.

If you start today, you can probably have everything all done by next June.

I'll bring the aspirin. poke

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#105550 09/19/11 11:47 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
No! That's a bad cleome!

It's not nice to give the OCD boy ideas.

Hmmm... June would be doable, though... <shakes head> No! Bad... bad cleome! laugh

#105551 09/19/11 11:57 AM
Fresh air, sunshine, and time with one's spouse-- bah! That stuff's for lightweights, Maaaaaaaaan!!

wink

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#105552 09/19/11 12:28 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Sp...spouse? Oh, crap!

<runs downstairs and finds letter>

Dear Ex,

While you were busy all summer with your LMB friends, I've moved on to greener pastures. If ever you finish with your project and decide to come looking for me, you'll find that I'm quite happy in my new home... the DC Message Boards.

- The former Mrs. Nihil

<falls to knees and cries out to the sky>

Noooooooooooooooo!

wink

#105553 09/19/11 06:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Bah! I bet those DCMBers made her write that. Are you sure there isn't a ransom note around somewhere?

Those symbols would be beautiful done up in copper as one big metal poster. If I knew a metal worker, he/she'd have a commission (with your approval, of course!).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#105554 09/20/11 03:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Copper would be good.
I could get them in single foot square tiles and do my celling in my office and bedroom done in them!
oooowwwww

And I think it's funny that in the monitor board formate, they begin with Abin Quank and end with Zardi Quank.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105555 09/20/11 03:11 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh, and the poster sounds amazing, too.
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105556 09/20/11 05:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
[Linked Image]

Thank You, Ex. It's perfect. Alice would have absolutely adored it.

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#105557 09/20/11 05:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Drumroll.... aaaaaaaaaaand.... LMB Symbol #150!

[Linked Image]

Abin Quank, apart from being the Green Lantern ring-wielding patriarch of the ever-expanding Quank Clan, is, of course, also the Legion World janitor. I like to imagine the moment when he was given the ring, being told, "With this ring, your willpower can accomplish anything your mind can imagine," and then Abin thinking, "Yes! Finally I can get those stubborn scuffs off the HQ floor!"

For his symbol, I wanted to combine these two seemingly disparate ideas, when it occurred to me that someone who didn't give up his janitorial duties simply because he was granted supreme power would, of course, put the power battery to practical use... promptly fashioning it into a more appropriate tool of his trade. I'm not sure if it shows up at this scale, but the little "caution" symbol on the side of the bucket is also a GL logo.

<marquee behavior=alternate> rotflmao </marquee>

Ex, You Were Right! Your idea was perfect. And the new oath!

Genius! Pure Genius! I'm in AWE!

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#105558 09/20/11 06:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

[Linked Image]

All kinds of awesome!! laugh

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,828
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brainiac 5
Brainiac 5
the Detroit multi-lab
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star