Roll Call
2 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Chaim Mattis Keller), 19 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/23/24 02:28 PM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/23/24 02:23 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/23/24 02:11 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/23/24 02:10 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/23/24 02:09 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/23/24 01:27 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:30 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: TITANS new ongoing series: Should I or Shouldn't I?
#142179 09/06/08 10:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#4 seems *somewhat* more the Titans as recognizable characters resembling the folks that made most of us love the team in the first place.

It's a different sounding 'voice' for Gar, but I kind of liked him here.

I admit it, but I'm not proud of it, I wanted to see Donna and Wally all lascivious for the 'lust' brother. (These guys really need names-- having their given names all start with the letter 'J' didn't help).

An emaciated Trigon proud of his sons for stealing his power actually was a nice touch, I thought. That Raven was manipulating her brothers the whole time- knowing (or thinking she knows?) the outcome was a great topper.

The starfield uni is back for Donna by issue's end, with no explanation given.

Personally, I like the idea that this won't be an offical team- but a group of friends that consider themselves like family getting together often- when they'll just *happen* to go on missions, solve crimes, etc.

I wouldn't take the odds on that really making this seem like anything other than a team book, though.

I'm enjoying this more than a lot of people, but Winick *still* hasn't dug out of the hole he got himself in by offing Lilith back in Crapuation Day.

Upcoming guest-star turns by Jericho and, I think, Tempest? and did I dream up the mention of Red Star? could go a long way to at least keeping me from wanting to kick the dirt in over ol' JW.

#142180 09/06/08 11:16 AM
Active
Active
i... i can't read it because of the benitez art. he'll draw wally really normally but then... nightwing and beast boy'll have these weird stretchy faces. i gave him points for giving starfire poochy lips but all the artwork in it is really really inconsistent.

one of the covers had raven's breast doing something so amateur and anatomically incorrect that i didn't pick it up. wait...i have the power of the internet to show you.
[Linked Image] <--- this is impossible. this destroys my mind.

breasts, i don't care how big they are, do not pop off and levitate above your arm in this pose.
ex: and this lady i would say is turned MORE than raven

your body has to be turned this much: picture found via google

things like that just tell me immediately "this guy can't draw the ladies, he's just trying to make sure you know that raven has breasts"

actually... let me show you what raven would look like from the front given this pose.

[Linked Image]

some people like the art though. i liked the first issue well enough, then the dialogue was sort of like "huh? @__@ what... what are you saying to me with your words?"

me and my friend were going to get it to see wally and nightwing's cute friendship but the art burned us too hard.

#142181 09/06/08 11:43 AM
Active
Active
oh also... raven's dad... is uh.. this... weird.. scrawny dude... whose legs are perpetually open. like... but he's almost naked. now that in and of itself doesn't sound bad or weird, but... AHH it's so FREAKY?!! i can't explain it!!!. ughghg ok this is a link to one of the pages, ONLY CLICK IT IF YOU'RE BRAVE. it will be in your brain forever. ;_;
like... i dunno i know he's supposed to look weak and stuff but... thigh highs don't help, trigon ;_; i warned you!!

i really like how he draws starfire's hair and poochy lips. like... SO MUCH i wish the whole comic was her adventures putting in hairclips and trying different lip gloss. and for some reason drew making out really nicely but... beastboy's face....

[Linked Image]

the writing... example, they start fighting. like not play fighting like... trying to really hurt one another? and i... thought we were past this @__@;; i mean some people like to see certain characters being mean to one another, and i can see it with certain characters, but to me, certain people shouldn't be at each other's throats!! it's not the characters i'm expecting, i guess?

#142182 09/17/08 11:06 PM
Active
Active
ok....i think issue 5 redeemed it quite a bit. actually, just start reading there. it's not like, amazing but it makes a lot more...sense. same with the art, much more solid, not painfully distracting. everything seems a lot more solid and less weird.

#142183 09/18/08 12:52 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Hmm... nekkid Wally, redeeming qualities... mayhap I shall check it out, after all. We shall see......

#142184 09/19/08 09:55 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
YAY! Cali post! hug

(Nothing to say about the book, sorry. shocked laugh )

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#142185 09/20/08 09:08 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
If this issue had somehow been able to be numbered '1', then TITANS (the series) would be much more respected.

It's a good issue.

Gar's green Polar Bear (I guess this was written before the algae-growing-in-polar-bear-fur stuff was featured in the news?) Bear-a-gram stunt was amusing. I didn't know Raven lived in a dorm... I knew she was attending high school (though this seems more like college?)

Cyborg getting a new body is pretty much as cliche as Red Tornado's body-drama. New story ideas, creators!

The Nightwing/Starfire scene's bound to stir up some feelings in those that wanted this pairing to persist. I'm not one of them, though at this point, I think a Dick/Barbara Gordon coupling would be back-pedaling, just as much. Some fans seem to want a Donna/Dick romantic relationship, the idea of which just nauseates me. They make perfect best friends.

Anyway, the scene is very well-written and is fairly adult, in nature. I enjoyed it.

I also liked the Raven self-struggle, though it's too-familiar ground, just like Cyborg's continuing body-drama. I wasn't expecting her to depart with her brothers- that was an interesting surprise. Has she embraced them? Did she leave with them to spare Gar?

Y'know what I'd like? I think it'd be a nice twist if Raven converts one of her newfound bro's to the 'good'-- or at least to a conflicted state, similar to hers. I don't expect this to become a full-fledged family, but I think it'd be good story provender if *one* of these boys could become a 'real' brother to Raven. He needn't become a hero, or even leave the 'Trigon team'. Just a balance.

#142186 09/21/08 10:31 PM
Active
Active
i totally agree, mystery lad!! i wish this had been the first issue!! i hope winnick didn't shoot himself in the foot with the first couple issues! now i actually want to read it!

#142187 11/01/08 04:03 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
DC UNIVERSE DECISIONS: The conclusion's out- and Jericho's status as psycho-killer's ameliorated a bit. It's not really him, it's the multitude of personality remnants that he's picked up in his possessions over the years that have taken over and guided him into murder. In particular, the remnants of villainous personalites have worked together to assume control of Jericho's psyche.

No mention of how he manages to speak while in his own body, here. He's supposed to be headed to TITANS next issue, as evidenced by the conclusion of last issue.

#142188 01/01/09 09:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read 7-8 last night (I'm WAY behind)...

Jericho... I never DID like that big-eyed twerp.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#142189 01/04/09 01:40 PM
Active
Active
All the charm and novelty behind this once mute superhero is lost, including his original costume; in fact, his whole look is gone. I'm not convinced that this even is Joe Wilson.

And what's with the tacky raven picture slapped on her costume? This new incarnation wants to bring back the magic of the old Wolfman/Perez team dynamic, but it just falls short when they do things like bring back a teen Raven who confesses to liking Gossip Girl and reverting Changeling's name to Beast Boy. Let him grow up already!

#142190 01/25/09 12:00 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
HOOO-kay. read # 9.

That double-page spread with all the people Jericho's possesed trapped in his psyche was unnerving. And he does ask Dick to help him.

So maybe I don't hate Joey after all....

(seeing his Mom in flashback reminded me of the first arc on Grayson's TITANS run and her sad demise).

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to # 10 and the JLA vs. Titans!

That's 2 wins in a row for the TITANSverse. If TERROR TITANS # 4 doesn't suck (and I liked #s 1-3), it'll be a 3fer!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#142191 02/24/09 02:16 PM
Active
Active
Just read Titans vs JLA. That "vs" was pretty loosely used, if you ask me. It was really Jericho vs JLA and Titans. Why can't this be resolved more quickly? Instead, they let Joe escape mysteriously (presumably, to drag this story line even further at a later date). So much for Dick wanting to take care of their own. He quits the team. Sure, there's that teaser page of things to come at the end of the issue, and we see Joe in a hospital bed, but how long do we have to wait before that comes to fruition? Just take him in, nurse him, have him work out his issues and have reemerge into the Titans fray normal already. Is that logical progression of storytelling too much to ask?

#142192 03/14/09 06:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#11-- a low-key 'day in the life of' issue (that phrase was coined by a Teen Titans issue, wasn't it?) that featured manslut Roy Harper in action, daddy Wally West spending time with his family, Raven and Beast Boy continuing their soap opera, Starfire and Donna interacting, Donna taking the wrong tack with Roy and getting slammed for it, and Cyborg is revealed to be housing Joey.

Some scenes are drawn better than others-- it's hard to tell Roy and Wally apart in places. Porter draws a plain Donna-- she should be beautiful!

#142193 03/16/09 07:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not loving this series. I want to, because I love the original Titans, but I'm just not. It's too same old-same old for my tastes. It reminds me of the last Titans series, that I also wanted to love, but fond it to be mediocre.

I hate to say it, but I think it's too hard for most people to live up to the high standard set by Marv and George. Geoff Johns could probably do it, with the right artist. I would love to see a Geoff Johns/Phil Jiminez Titans book. That would be good.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#142194 05/16/09 11:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
What a bust DEATHTRAP is turning out to be. Just when the separate series were starting to turn a corner, too.

Maybe the conclusion will make me feel differently.

But I doubt it. Why ruin a character for this?

#142195 05/17/09 10:15 PM
Active
Active
Agreed. There is no redemption for Jericho, especially not after the senseless hostage killing, graphically brutal for a mainstream comic. It was a page I actually had to hide from my almost 7 year old. Just when you think it's safe to leave comic books lying around...

#142196 05/21/09 11:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The way Deathtrap's conclusion was told in VIGILANTE #6 was effective and well-paced. All the beats were there.

Unforunately, the premise at the heart of the crossover is so mean-spirited and nasty that it just casts a pall over every bit of characterization, every nicely drawn panel, every well-constructed series of scenes.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> The story concludes with Vigilante gouging both Jericho's eyes out, taking away his superpower, leaving him completely insane. What is it with that family and their peepers? </span></span>

Heart-warming and life-affirming, isn't it? I so appreciate comic publisher's deep affection for their heroic characters, don't you?

#142197 06/08/09 09:22 PM
Active
Active
Why don't they just let it be revealed that Joey also slept with his mother and the whole tragedy will be complete.

#142198 06/08/09 09:24 PM
Active
Active

#142199 07/18/09 08:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Tempest spotlight issue was excellent, I thought.

Light on answers as to how the Garth that appeared in AQUAMAN's last issues bridged into the good-as-he-was Garth that surfaces in TITANS, the issue nevertheless explores his background and current state of mind masterfully.

There's a battle with a villain not seen(?) since the Tempest mini-series years ago... a great conversation with the current wearer of Batman's cowl... and a moment that *should* change the character forever. We'll see if Garth's taking the throne of Atlantis lasts past DARKEST NIGHT. I hope it does.

Paired with a nice scene with Mera in another title, this is the most exposure for Garth in ages. I hope that doens't mean what it sometimes does when characters emerge from limbo, swimming strong...

#142200 07/31/09 11:43 PM
Active
Active
This might be a question everyone already knows, but I haven't followed Aquaman. What's going on? Is there a new Aquaman without the hook or "hydro hand"?

#142201 08/04/09 04:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
bummer. i tried to pick up a bunch of back issues and give this a shot....let's just say, they didn't make it out of the comic shop.

so messy. (i'm a bit behind, i didnt realize the wolfman/perez crew had their own title "titans" until last week.) so i was excited as i loved that run. also, i really liked how they were treated in the kingdom come series. seemed like they turned out to be better than their mentors. which is plausible...since they had mentors and started earlier. i mean if you can defeat Trigon in your teens what have you got to be afraid of.

where was the JLA when the Titans beat Trigon? Detroit? turned to stone....

and they seemed to keep their heroic idealism in the kingdom come series...as supes, wonder woman, and bats turned out kinda messed up.

i always thought they would be a better league when it was their turn to take on the mantel of Justice League. and often they have been better.

so i'm quite bummed their revival is such a mess.

i thought this was funny <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">They aren’t the cast of “Friends”. They’re the 101st Airborne. They’re a battle-tested band of brothers and sisters who should be the toughest twentysomethings in the DC Universe.</span></span>

would've been cool if the first villain was gargoyle, mister twister, or the antithesis and then cyborg, raven starfire, gar...were brought in later.

or conversely red arrow, and aqua lad were brought in later.

#142202 08/06/09 09:33 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I disagree. I think the execution of all but a couple of issues (Garth's return and the issue where Dick and Kory broke up) has been lacking, by quite a bit.

But the premise of a group of friends who get together because they're friends, not to ostensibly fight supervillains even though that's what they end up doing, is a good one.

Why they'd then move into a HQ is beyond me. To protect secret identities, I guess?

In fact, it wouldn't bother me a bit if Cyborg and Raven went back to Teen Titans... Gar adventured with the Doom Patrol... Wally, Dick and Donna stay with the Justice League... and *still* get together every week or month or whatever as TITANS.

#142203 08/22/09 09:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read 14-16 last night. All had their moments but overall, nothing outstanding.

That might have something to do with the *3* different creative teams for all 3 issues.

Todd hit on the high points of Garth's spotlight, I liked the end of Cyborg's spotlight, and did Kory join the JLA or is she just considering it? It wasn't clear to me at the end of # 16.

Can't DC get a regular writer and artist for this book?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,634
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star