Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 56 Murran Spies, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:07 PM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24
Re: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
#223359 12/24/03 02:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
About STU's alleged slip and fall in SHAKES:

1. Since SHAKES is subject to California law, he has only one year from the date of alleged injury to file suit.

2. STU is an employee of SHAKES (official mascot), therefore, his alleged injury is an employment related injury. His sole recourse is Worker's Compensation (Bwaaah haa haaa haa - evil laugh). The statute of limitations for WC claims is likely shorter than one year.

3. Third, STU is a well known booze hound. If he fell, there is no doubt that he contributed significantly to his injuries.

4. Fourth, we are well insured. Please submit your claim to our carrier. Their claims adjuster, D. Nyem Awl, will contact you shortly.

#223360 12/24/03 05:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hey Quis just checking the place out!!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#223361 12/27/03 06:48 AM
Active
Active
if my brother is inhabiting the body of a person not related to me, is he still my brother?

LightningLord1

#223362 12/29/03 07:57 AM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
About STU's alleged slip and fall in SHAKES:

1. Since SHAKES is subject to California law, he has only one year from the date of alleged injury to file suit.

2. STU is an employee of SHAKES (official mascot), therefore, his alleged injury is an employment related injury. His sole recourse is Worker's Compensation (Bwaaah haa haaa haa - evil laugh). The statute of limitations for WC claims is likely shorter than one year.

3. Third, STU is a well known booze hound. If he fell, there is no doubt that he contributed significantly to his injuries.

4. Fourth, we are well insured. Please submit your claim to our carrier. Their claims adjuster, D. Nyem Awl, will contact you shortly.
STU's status as an employee is questionable. Does he, as offical mascot, receive compensation? If he does not, then he is merely a patron of your establishment and may sue on the tort of negligence.

And depending on the nature of STU's fall, whther he was intoxicated or not may be irrelevant.

Does Mr. Awl work for the firm Dewey, Cheetum, & Howe?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#223363 12/29/03 07:59 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by icefire:
Hey Quis just checking the place out!!!!
Icey,

Would you like a private tour of my orifices er... I mean offices?
shocked

#223364 12/29/03 08:14 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Mekt Ranzz:
if my brother is inhabiting the body of a person not related to me, is he still my brother?

LightningLord1
Aren't we all brothers? Oh wait that's philosophy not law.

This seems to be an unique issue never before tried before a court. It appears to be an issue of fact best left to a trier of facts. However a telling fact is that you refer to this person as your brother. Therefore you must, on some level, accept as your brother.

#223365 12/29/03 08:50 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Thanks for the advice, Quis!

I've got another question for ya.

A poster who's lurking here keeps pinching my butt! However, since she or he doesn't actually show up on the "Recent Visitors" line, I don't know who it is.

Can I simply sue Legion World for allowing this sort of appalling behavior to go on? (I think we can assume that the culprit(s) could be any number of the posters here. My butt, after all, is too temptingly pinchable to resist.)

Please help...!

#223366 12/29/03 10:11 AM
OP Offline
STU,

You seem to be in a sue-happy mood. (I suppose I better be careful or you may sue me too. So I guess it it time for Disclaimer: I will not be giving any legal advice that you should take. The information I give is for entertainment and education purposes only. If you have a real legal issue, you should consult a lawyer in your own area of the world. )

That said, now let's see this allegedly pinchable butt.

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!!! Yes definitely pinchable. Still it wasn't Legion World who pinched it, was it?

You really can't sue anyone (whether a business or a person) for the actions of another. Unless, of course, that person or business actively encouraged, endorsed, or tolerated the said actions and had a duty to prevent said actions from occurring. For example, the owner of a hockey rink doesn't have a duty to keep you warm. even if you personally don't know that hockey rinks are cold. However, most businesses have a duty to prevent sexual harassment (defined as unwanted contact, either physical or verbal, that is of a sexual nature).

That being said, have you reported these butt pinchings to the proper Legion World authority (ies)? If so, what was their response? If they investigated and made efforts to stop this activity (if it is unwanted), then they are off the hook as it were.

#223367 12/29/03 10:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not to butt in on all this lawyer stuff, but maybe STU should just invest in some flea powder and a good vacuum. The "pinching" might go away.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#223368 12/29/03 10:25 AM
OP Offline
Fat Cramer,

Seeing as you gave practical advice and not any legal advice, we can let it pass.

However, I will have to bill you for taking my valuable time in drafting and writing this response. Oh and for some legal research to make sure that your advice wasn't legal advice.

Hmmm is there any other way I can pad this bill? Oh did I say that out loud? Umm If it pleases the Court, I withdraw that last statement about padding a bill. There, now that it is off the record, it is like I never said it.

#223369 12/29/03 10:40 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
That being said, have you reported these butt pinchings to the proper Legion World authority (ies)? If so, what was their response?
I reported it to Nighty. He responded by pinching my butt! eek

#223370 12/29/03 11:02 AM
OP Offline
Well, it sounds like you have a case.

If you would like to pursue it, I would be willing to represent you.

My fee is $950.00 an hour. You will also be responsible for paying the expenses of any expert witnesses, legal research, filing fees, postage, and copying. I'll require a retainer of $100,000.00, to be replenished on a monthly basis as needed.

How much is Legion World and/or Nightcrawler worth, by the way?

#223371 12/29/03 11:04 AM
OP Offline
Oh wait, STU. I just realized as I am on a retainer to have this thread on Legion World, there is a conflict of interest. I can't represent you.

#223372 12/29/03 11:34 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
How much is Legion World and/or Nightcrawler worth, by the way?
Registering the Legion World domain name: $100

Maintaining the Legion World server: $250

Seeing Nighty flustered and flabbergasted : priceless laugh

#223373 12/29/03 11:39 AM
OP Offline
STU,

You might want to be careful that Nightcrawler doesn't file a harassment suit against you for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

A court on its own could fine you for filing a frivolous lawsuit. Defined in this case as one meant only to harass.

#223374 12/29/03 11:48 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Oh, I meant seeing Nighty flustered and flabbergasted by other stuff -- not necessarily by a lawsuit.

And I probably won't sue him for pinching my butt anyway. I kind of, well, encouraged it... by wearing such tight jeans. shocked

#223375 12/29/03 02:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Quis, since my salary in infinite, I think I can make us both some money by asking you legal questions wink

First, can a judge tell anyone in the courtroom that their being held for Contempt of Court (if that's what it's really called)?

#223376 12/29/03 02:32 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Quis, since my salary in infinite, I think I can make us both some money by asking you legal questions wink

First, can a judge tell anyone in the courtroom that their being held for Contempt of Court (if that's what it's really called)?
Here are the various definitions of Contempt of Court that I have found:

From uscourts.gov/glossary.html
Contempt of court -Willful disobedience of a judge's command or of an official court order
from courttv.com
CONTEMPT OF COURT: An action that interferes with a judge's ability to administer justice or that insults the dignity of the court. Disrespectful comments to the judge or a failure to heed a judge's orders could be considered contempt of court. A person found in contempt of court can face financial sanctions and, in some cases, jail time.

And from dictionary.law.com
contempt of court
n. there are essentially two types of contempt: a) being rude, disrespectful to the judge or other attorneys or causing a disturbance in the courtroom, particularly after being warned by the judge; b) willful failure to obey an order of the court. This latter can include failure to pay child support or alimony. The court's power to punish for contempt (called "citing" one for contempt) includes fines and/or jail time (called "imposing sanctions"). Incarceration is generally just a threat and if imposed, usually brief. Since the judge has discretion to control the courtroom, contempt citations are generally not appealable unless the amount of fine or jail time is excessive. "Criminal contempt" involves contempt with the aim of obstruction of justice, such as threatening a judge or witness or disobeying an order to produce evidence.
So Yes Virginia, there is Contempt of Court. But the judge can't just point to you and say you are in Contempt of Court. Although Judges do have almost absolute authority in her/his courtroom. You do need to be doing something, even a passive something like wearing a "The Judge stinks" T-shirt.

#223377 12/29/03 02:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Continuing the contempt of court theme...

1) If I'm appearing in court pro se, may I refer to any lawyer present as 'My learned friend", or would that be considered flipping the bird, since I'm not a lawyer?

2) I've noticed every time I talk to you, it costs me money. But since I'm living in Canada, and all my assets (such as they are) are in Canada, can you collect if I refuse to pay?

Your learned friend, FC

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#223378 12/29/03 02:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
P.S. STU = suing them ubiquitously?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#223379 12/29/03 03:23 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Ubiquitously, Unrelentingly, and Unabashedly!

#223380 12/29/03 03:32 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Continuing the contempt of court theme...

1) If I'm appearing in court pro se, may I refer to any lawyer present as 'My learned friend", or would that be considered flipping the bird, since I'm not a lawyer?

2) I've noticed every time I talk to you, it costs me money. But since I'm living in Canada, and all my assets (such as they are) are in Canada, can you collect if I refuse to pay?

Your learned friend, FC
1) I think it would depend on your tone. Lawyers are a cliquey group (You have to pass a test and pay money to be a lawyer. We call ourselves Doctors having gotten a Juris Doctor degree.) So the lawyer on the other side would probably get annoyed with you no matter what your tone. Now whether the judge thinks it is a contempt of court for you to address the opposing lawyer in such a manner depends on how cliquey the judge is and-or how much the judges likes or hates the opposing lawyer.

2) I could go to a Canadian Court and ask them to enforce the contract between us. That contract being that you would pay for each question answered. Because you are a Canadian citizen , the Candian court would have jurisdiction over you. Even though I am not a Canadian citizen, I would still be able to appeal to a Canadian court, just as you could go to a US court to sue me.

Now if a Canadian court ordered you to pay me and you refused, then the court could hold you in contempt of court. Also the Canadian court would also be able to use it power to seize your assets in order to pay any judgement against you.

#223381 12/29/03 08:40 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Hey, Quis,

Going back to a Legion story of yore, suppose someone sued Brainiac 5 for the damage his creation, Computo, caused. Would they have a good case?

I'm thinking primarly of ADVENTURE # 340-341, here. Though would the postboot Brainy also be liable for damages caused by Computo and Robotica?

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#223382 12/30/03 06:32 AM
Active
Active
let's not read too much into my economical phrasing, my learned friend.

LightningLord1

#223383 12/30/03 10:09 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Hey, Quis,

Going back to a Legion story of yore, suppose someone sued Brainiac 5 for the damage his creation, Computo, caused. Would they have a good case?

I'm thinking primarly of ADVENTURE # 340-341, here. Though would the postboot Brainy also be liable for damages caused by Computo and Robotica?
Well, I'll take the easier part first. I think that the reboot Computo and Robotica were declared sentient and autonomous. Therefore, Brainy would not be responsible for any damage done by Computo/Robotica. Much like parents are not responsible for damages caused by their 18 year old (age of majority) children.

Now, the pre-boot Computo was sentient, but not considered autonomous, much like a 10 year old child. I believe that there is no hard and fast rule as to whether the parents of a 10 year old child is legally responsible for damages caused by him/her. Again I believe that in cases where a 10 year old causes damages, the victim will try to sue the parents for negligent supervision of the child rather than for the actual intentional tort of the child. Because unless you are Macaulay Culkin, most parents have deeper pockets than their children.

So, I do think that pre-boot Brainiac 5 would have had to face many lawsuits.

Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,843
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Kid Beetle, Star Boy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Andorian Lantern
Andorian Lantern
New York, NY
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star