Roll Calls:

A fancy scroll with a list of the Legionnaires who are featured in that particular issue. The Roll Call was a nice idea - even continued with the (then) new Legionnaires series and lasted til the series ended in 2000.

That was one of the things i missed after Giffen and Levitz came back on board around 1982. Levitz's second run on the Legion got to be a daunting task after a while, because we got to see Legionnaires hanging around the clubhouse yakking, rather than being sent away on various space missions as they had been in the Shooter era. Some Legionnaires being sent away so often that we never really saw much of them (like Chemical King) and later on with Tyroc. Levitz must have hated the character coz he mysteriously vanished soon after Paul returned to the writer's desk.

The best stories are told with a minimal set of characters, as Shooter did with his Adventure stories - that way each character in the issue, gets equal time and panel space rather than cluttering up the magazine with the same old characters in each issue. Another thing, it must have given LaRocque and DeCarlo a severe case of RSI of the artist's pen. LOL

The only time i recall there being a story with a cast of characters who carried the mag on their own merit was during the Manhunter two-parter where Laurel was revealed to be an android infiltrater to the ranks. There were only 8 or 9 Legionnaires featured, the story itself was fantastic!!!!

See what i meant about a small cast? No extraneous clutter, no irrelevant cameos by other members.

The old adage "less is more" still works!