Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How do you plan on reacting to the Fourth Boot?
#31841 10/03/08 11:40 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Well... I intend to latch on to the slightest evidence that it may be restoring those aspects of the Legion that make it so appealing to me, become way too emotionally invested in it turning out to be good, hold on to that emotional investment way too long after the book turns out to be yet stinking crapola modern-day DC product with the rationalization that at least it's not got some of things wrong with it that the last version of the team had, before finally becoming disenchanted with the whole thing.

You know... pretty much the way I've reacted to the last five or six Legion relaunches. wink

Re: How do you plan on reacting to the Fourth Boot?
#31842 10/03/08 12:03 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I plan on taking my pants off in protest. Oh, wait... hmmm

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#31843 10/03/08 12:08 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I'm going to count how many issues until they face a big alien invasion. That's gonna maybe, you know, try to destroy the Earth. And all seems lost.

#31844 10/03/08 12:44 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Assuming it is a fourboot...

I will buy it, read it, and review it on Legion Abstract. I will try to figure out what the interesting aspects of it are. I'll try to look for things in the art that I might miss if I didn't consciously look for them. I'll try to isolate what, if anything, the comic book adds to the half-century-plus of Legion lore that's accumulated. I'll put it back in its bag and put it on top of the cupboard with my other recent Legion comics. I'll check in here and other places online to see what other people think of it, and if they noticed anything I missed.

Because that's how I react to Legion comics.

#31845 10/03/08 01:56 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Curl up and have a good cry? Stomp my feet in impotent mock outrage? Rail at the heavens and call a pox upon the house of Dan Didio? Furtively buy the first few issues anyway, no matter how loudly I protest that I won't?

Probably, yeah.

I might rend some clothes and gnash some teeth, too. But only if someone's watching. Being a drama queen isn't terribly fulfilling without an audience.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#31846 10/03/08 02:22 PM
Substitute
Substitute
aw, come on, we all know we'd buy it, pretend to hate it because it doesn't match the perfect (and different for everyone) vision of what the Legion should be in our heads, slag it rotten on here, remember the good old days of the 3boot and the great times they had with Supergirl, and then think it was actually quite good when the disaster that is the 5boot comes out... which we'd also buy and secretly love.

#31847 10/03/08 02:52 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Each time the Legion reboots, it has a harder time appealing to me, whether that is fair or not. The threeboot was especially dissapointing. *If* there was a fourthboot, I certainly have no intentions of giving the book a clean-slate. It would have things against it already, because I'd so rather DC give us the original Legion.

Except I think this time I'll be louder and more vicious in my critiques. I was too pleasant during the threeboot laugh

#31848 10/03/08 02:53 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Well... I intend to latch on to the slightest evidence that it may be restoring those aspects of the Legion that make it so appealing to me, become way too emotionally invested in it turning out to be good, hold on to that emotional investment way too long after the book turns out to be yet stinking crapola modern-day DC product with the rationalization that at least it's not got some of things wrong with it that the last version of the team had, before finally becoming disenchanted with the whole thing.

You know... pretty much the way I've reacted to the last five or six Legion relaunches. wink
PS - Eryk pretty much summed up what I consider the large fan reaction to the threeboot.

#31849 10/03/08 03:03 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
The cycle seems to be getting much smaller for me with each new continuity. It only took me about three issues of Johns's version to go from "Hey, awesome! He's brought back the classic Legion!" to "Wildfire is Red Tornado!?!? What kind of crap is this!?!?!"

#31850 10/03/08 03:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Maybe I'll just sleep through it and catch the Fifth Boot.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#31851 10/03/08 06:07 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
At the rate they're going you'll only get a cat nap.

#31852 10/03/08 06:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm going to bitch because either:

a) Matter-Eater Lad and Infectious Lass aren't in it

OR

b) Matter-Eater Lad and Infectious Lass ARE in it, only now he's an oversize disembodied mouth with fangs and she's a sentient blob of mold.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#31853 10/03/08 07:15 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I'm going to demand more nudity, like I've done with all the other 'boots!

#31854 10/03/08 07:27 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Except I think this time I'll be louder and more vicious in my critiques. I was too pleasant during the threeboot.
I would have been more vicious, but Barry Kitson is a classy guy and I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#31855 10/03/08 11:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll be a devoted consumer, and buy it even if I don't really like it. I'll hope that Dream Girl will be depicted as the awesome character I love, not the tacky over the hill version or the ditzy narcoleptic version or the dead version.

And I'll hope for great depictions of the rest of the characters too.

#31856 10/04/08 12:09 PM
T
Active
Active
T
You know, the threeboot wasn't a reference to it being the third reboot, but the second reboot that produced the third version of the Legion. Or is that just how I saw it?

I wouldn't mind a fourth version... if it were actually better than any that came before. But that would require actually taking ideas from previous versions and building on them in new ways. The first reboot did this, continuing some ideas from the previous continuity (Valor, Triad). The threeboot didn't do this at all.

Only a fourboot could produce the Legion I want... and thus, it'll probably disappoint me more than anything before.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#31857 10/04/08 01:53 PM
Reservist
Reservist
It would seem like 4B = Levitz' Legion that somehow doesn't reach Giffen's 5YL.

Frankly, I don't know how to react to that for several reasons.

1. I love what Giffen did 5YL. If Johns' LO3W paves the way for 4B, then it effectively negates that. I know, I know...it's not a popular version of the Legion that I can re-read if I love it so much but still...

2. 2B now becomes less of a 'boot & more a look at a Legion from one of the 52 universes? Is this the same for 3B?

3. I don't know what to make of the Legion coming out of the LO3W mini.

Offhand, I'll likely buy a 4B Legion...but I have to admit its more out of blind devotion & love for what the characters once were than anything else. A part of me will likely hope that I can get invested in the characters again. I guess after reading Legion for almost 3 decades the optimism I once had for this team & what they mean to me as characters has gotten progressively eroded over all these 'boots... :-(

Igee The Mighty!
#31858 10/04/08 03:11 PM
Active
Active
Yeah but there's no way in hell to get 5YL out of continuity limbo... it's sad, but true. As I loved 5YL AND the original Legion, I can live with getting back at least one of them. 5YL will always stay my most cherished giant elseworld story... one of the first major stories which became an elseworld AFTER being published frown

Of course, I'll also buy v.6 (Is it v.6? or v.7? is anybody still counting?). Maybe I'll even like it. As long as they don't start an amagamated Legion or a totally new one, I'll probably even support it if it's not so good!

#31859 10/04/08 03:58 PM
Active
Active
Just for the record:

I DESPISE AMALGAM LEGION. No one should EVER think about it. It makes my stomach hurls. Yes, it's that bad of an idea. So bad that Keith didn't even try amalgamating SW6 Batch with the REAL Legion (yeah, the one who came from everything that had happened before, not this arbitrary Action Legion).

#31860 10/05/08 12:23 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I'll be buying it and continueing to support it, even if it is not my concept of "good", in the hopes that will become "good".
I am not a big fan of the current series. I really tried to be, after all this was my beloved Legion. However that was the problem, 3boot simply was not my legion, the legion I learned to love many years ago. And sadly, no matter what the 4boot is like, there will be a certain number of fans who will not be getting "thier" Legion. My biggest fear with this upcoming boot is that *NONE* of us get a version of a Legion we love. Of course there is always the of chance we get something new that most of us can enjoy.

#31861 10/05/08 12:29 AM
B
Substitute
Substitute
B
C'mon, Guys. We don't know yet whether there will be a "Fourthboot" or not. Don't jump to conclusions. All we know is that there won't be a LEGION book immediately after LEGION OF 3 WORLDS ends...

#31862 10/05/08 07:38 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I actually think there won't be a fourboot. I don't know what we'll get, but I do think we're already familiar with all the ingredients of it.

#31863 10/05/08 08:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life:
C'mon, Guys. We don't [b]know yet whether there will be a "Fourthboot" or not. Don't jump to conclusions. All we know is that there won't be a LEGION book immediately after LEGION OF 3 WORLDS ends...[/b]
Sure, but speculation if the lifeblood of message boards, and when in doubt, start making jokes about the Legion and its fans!

#31864 10/05/08 09:20 AM
Deputy
Deputy
The way I see it, the Fourboot already took place right under our noses. Its outcome is Johns' ersatz-original Legion you see before you. The first seed was the introduction of Starman in the relaunched JSA. It tentatively took shape in "The Lightning Saga", was green-lighted by DC the day it began advertising Johns' doppelgangers as the original Legion (est. June 2007), and has since then continued to grow by stealing more and more pieces of original Legion history, and shedding the LSaga pieces that don't fit (Wildfire as Red Tornado, Ayla being dead.). The 4boot is a fait accompli two full years in the making.

Imo, "The Legion of Three Worlds" is simply a Retconfest that tops off the Fourboot by creating some new "history" to fill in the gaps between Crisis on Infinite Earths and the Lightning Saga. At the same time it will permanently dispose of the post-Crisis and Five Years Later Legions by explaining it away as Time Trapper trickery, and exile the reboot and 3boot Legions to parallel words (assuming they survive). It's also the vehicle of Bart Allen's resurrection (as if I cared.) and most sadly of all, the very final requiem for the true pre-Crisis Legion.

I've already been reacting to the Fourboot for 18 months -- puke

As to its future, it looks like the Fourboot Legion will continue on for a quite a while without a monthly series of its own in the role of Superman's sidekicks (kind of like a bunch of futuristic Jimmy Olsens), until someone gets another bright idea.

#31865 10/05/08 03:05 PM
Active
Active
I'm sorry that you are seeing Johns' Legion in such a negative light, Tromium. I consider myself a diehard, hardliner, anal-retentive nostalgiac, but in LS and Action and JSA, I could feel nothing but joy in the return of something that was by any means close enough to the original to embrace it after 14 years of being handed kiddie and hippie Legions.

Normally, I find it very hard to simply enjoy something - but in this instance, it's one of the seldom cases for me when I just have fun reading without asking questions and without analyzing it to death. So at the same time that I'm sorry for you, I'm a little amazed about myself. I don't care much for the Wildfire / Red Tornado connection as well - but there are just to many positive aspects of this return-boot to become nitpicky...

The fear I'm having as that now that we're getting something back which was lost in 1994 (some say, much earlier), the fandom will be fragmented again and thus another commercial failure might be on the horizon... that would be disastrous...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,830
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star