Roll Call
1 members (rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1), 47 Murran Spies, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/01/24 10:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: LSH at Baltimore
#46458 08/25/06 10:08 PM
Active
Active
so who is going after all?

Me, i'm still looking for a room, i'm looking in the hotels near BWI Airport. I also think i will have to rent a car, so i can come and go from the airport to the convention center and to the hotel on saturday and on sunday.

#46459 08/27/06 10:47 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I'll be there!

#46460 08/27/06 10:58 PM
Active
Active
i just booked my flight, my room and my rental car! i'll be there!

i just need to buy my tickets now.

#46461 08/31/06 01:55 PM
Active
Active
I've received this e-mail about my tickets to the convention:
Thank you for purchasing tickets with TicketMaster, however the credit card that was used is an international card therefore we cannot honor ticketfast for your event held in the Washington DC area. Your tickets have been placed at the Will Call window at the box office to be picked up by the card holder on the day of the event, be sure to have your confirmation/order number, photo ID, along with the actual credit card used for this purchase.
Does anyone know what that means? Is there a special place i have to go to get my tickets when i will be at the convention center?

#46462 08/31/06 05:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They probably have a cut-off date for mailing out tickets purchased with an international (out of USA?) card, so you just pick them up at the convention center box office. To put your mind at ease, you could email Ticketmaster for clarification.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#46463 09/01/06 10:32 PM
Active
Active
great galaxies, barry kitson, practice arm-and-hand safety!

don't be like you-know-who. [Linked Image]

#46464 09/02/06 03:24 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Sound advice, Mekt, I intend to follow it in future! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#46465 09/02/06 02:14 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Well I will definitely be there. How could I miss this awesome opportunity.

I will have on the Frank Miller Legion T-Shirt

[Linked Image]

& a name tag that says "Chad"!

So please say hi and let me know who you and that you are a Legion Worlder!

LLLater!

UltraBoy3

PS - Barry between the hurt hand/arm ala The Super-Moby Dick of Space AND your Lightning Strike occurance, are your foreshadowing??

UltraBoy
#46466 09/07/06 02:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Baltimore Con website finally posted their programming, and there will be panels Saturday & Sunday. 12 pm Saturday is the DC Nation panel, so maybe any legionworlders could meet outside the room for this panel just before it starts.

I'll probably be the only female with gray hair, (unless one of you brings your grandma along wink ) therefore easy to recognize.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#46467 09/08/06 09:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It looks like I've got spousal consent to attend. I'll probably go to the Wildstorm/Vertigo session Sunday and the collaborators forum with WaK.

I'll be the easy to spot over-40 white guy at a comic convention.

#46468 09/08/06 01:19 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I'll be there on Sunday.

And both Barry and Mark are listed as participants in the "Collaborators" panel from 2-3 on Sunday.

#46469 09/08/06 01:31 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
I'm not sure if I'll be doing commissions as such, but I will be doing sketches ABSOLUTELY FREE for anyone who has the patience to wait in line to get one...and listen to me babble on incessantly as I draw. smile

If there's time (and I'm suitably bribed smile ) I may do a very few commissions - but as I attend so few conventions I go mainly to enjoy myself and meet folks. I don't want it to turn into a 'working weekend'.

I will try to make sure everyone who wants a piece of art from me gets one though smile
A Barry Kitson sketch is well worth the wait.

I kind of wish I was able to go. It sounds like there will be a nice group of Legion Worlders there.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#46470 09/08/06 02:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Baltimore attendees, who, unlike me, will actually get to stay in the city past dark. Bypass the Inner Harbor for serious restarant dining and check out the Little Italy neighborhood 200-300 blocks of High St and 800-900 blocks of Eastern Ave.

Have fun, drive safely and don't let Barry injure himself or become incarcerated.

...oh yeah, and say "Hon" a lot. "Hey, Hon, could you tell me how to get to the Convention Center?" "Come on, Hon, let's go up to my room."
"This must be your underwear, Hon, cause I don't own any."

#46471 09/08/06 10:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll be there both days.

I'll try to wear something offensive so you'll know it's me.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#46472 09/09/06 01:40 AM
Active
Active
i will be there both days too.

my flight is arriving at BWI Airport at 8:30 AM. i have to take the car i rent at 9, go to the hotel and then, i will drive to the convention center.

see you there.

#46473 09/09/06 11:05 PM
Leader
Leader
How's it going Baltimorians?

#46474 09/10/06 07:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It goes good. We mMade a quick stop at Don Rosa's table then over to Barry & Mark. A fire alarm disrupted everything, everyone had to get out of the building - and somehow all the legion worlders wound up in a group next to Barry. Like minds? Cosmic convergence?

Barry spent all day sketching, only stopped to appear on the DC One Year Greater Panel, then right back to sketching and signing. It was great watching his very detailed drawings develop and I think it's safe to say he charmed everybody!

Mark Waid was either busy signing or off at panels, so I didn't get to speak to him.

(People bring large piles of comics & books to be signed. When I went out at 5:30 pm, there was a guy at the door shouting "Signed comics for sale!" I suppose this goes on at all cons, but I think there should be a limit to the number of things to be signed. Maybe I'm just being grumpy.)

As always, legion world people are the best - but you all knew that. smile

The line up for Olivier Coipel was also very long; I skipped that one.

I'll try to make the rounds of the people who draw & write those other comic books today and meet up with the "Sunday" legion worlders.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#46475 09/11/06 12:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Barry is the nicest, most easy-going guy on earth. It is a pleasure to watch him work and to chat with him. And, man, can Waid gab a lot; he's nice, too, especially when you take into consideration the fact that he's from the wrong end of the state of Alabama.

I only had a couple of hours to spend at the convention, so other than WaK and Chad, I didn't get to see anyone from Legionworld. Apparently I just missed a cat, a Coluan and a bug.

I saw my favorite comic book retailer at the convention. I had tried to convince him just last week that I'm not becoming a comic geek, guess there's no use in keeping up that ruse any more.

Hope to see you all here in 2007.

#46476 09/11/06 08:46 AM
R
Applicant
Applicant
R
I was in Barry's line for a while, but it was moving soooo slow I had to bail for the Titans panel. I didn't end up getting a sketch, but I did buy 3 pages from Barry (good deal, Thanks Barry). The problem with Coipel's line is he didn't show up until after 1 PM.

#46477 09/11/06 06:08 PM
Active
Active
great weather, great city, and great convention. Really not bad after all i had to do.

And i've met two great guys. One boy who really is Ultra, and one artist who is one of the nicest i've ever met. Thanks Ultra Boy and Barry!

Because of the delay of my flight, and i had to go take my car, and check in for my hotel room, i didn't arrive at the convention center until noon on saturday.

First thing, find the Will Call to have my tickets for the week-end, and first good news, the organisation is much better, and unlike at Motor City, i don't have to wait in line, they know me, i'm on the list, and in a few seconds, i can enter the convention. smile

I'm looking around, and i'm rapidly at the booth of Barry and Mark, and there is already so many people in line to see Barry!
So i continue to go around and i see that Olivier Coipel is really not far, in a booth just on the right of Barry, so i go see him, say hi, and we start talking because i hadn't seen him since my departure for the USA.

After a while, Olivier being so occupied and having so many commissions to do and knowing that he is not sketching too fast, i let him work, and after looking at the original pages brought by Barry, i take my place in the line.

Later, while waiting, i see a page i was considering buying is not there anymore, so after a long reflection, i settle for another one, and i bought my very first original page. smile

I'm really happy that it's a Legion one and one from Barry, and it has been big for me as i can't afford that kind of money very often. wink

So now, page 19 of issue 12 is now mine. (Karate Kid and Ultra Boy against the army of Lemnos)

As said by roguelegionnaire, the line is moving really slow, so i wait, and as i keep waiting, i spot a group of people in the line that i'm pretty sure is a group of Legion Worlders. I will have my confirmation of it later that day.

After waiting for a while, i finally can speak with Chad when he's taking the names of those in the line because Barry won't have enough time for all of us as he is going to a panel from 2pm to 3pm, even though he almost didn't stop all day! He didn't even eat his sandwich!

So speaking with Chad,and recognizing his t-shirt, i ask if it's him and i introduce myself too.

After that, as we were free to go anywhere else because we were on the list for sunday,i've been to the panel DCU: One Year Greater where Barry and Mark were, and it was so much fun, with a lot of jokes and weird answers, as much as real answers. You can look the article on Newsarama about it, it's pretty accurate, almost word for word, but they skip the parts where Barry didn't want to answer the questions asked to the panel by Dan Didio, like "Who's your favorite hero, and why?", "Who's your favorite villain?", "Which character do you think should we reaaly kill?". laugh

Later, i spent my time between talking to Olivier, and going back to Barry to see him do amazing sketches one after another, and talk Legion art with Ultra Boy. smile

I left at 6pm, and i try to find my way back to my hotel.

On Sunday, as i hadn't sleep a lot the days before and with the long day on saturday, i overslept a little, and i'm arriving at the convention center around 11am. Ultra Boy is telling me i'm next, so i stay there, and i will stay there all day, talking with him and Barry and other Legion fans that were there.
At 1pm, it's finally my turn, so i watch as i see a beautiful Atom Girl being drawn right before my eyes by Barry. wink

After that, i'm prettty much forced to leave, so i quickly go see Tony Harris and he signed my The Legion and 2 Starman, and as i'm going for the exit, i made a quick stop and buy some Legion issues, and i was outta here.

I had to leave early, because i needed some time to find my way out of Baltimore, find where to return my rental car, and go to the airport, pass the security checks and all that, going home near Detroit. Home sweet home, Michigan. Sunday as been a long day too.

Barry, Ultra Boy, and all the others, i hope you had a safe trip back home too. smile

#46478 09/12/06 02:06 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to post a quick note to say it was great meeting all the Legion Worlders in attendance.

I am still in Baltimore, won't be home until late tommorrow.

I will do my best to get up a post on Wednesday with some great looking skteches by Barry!

LLLater!

UltraBoy3

UltraBoy
#46479 09/13/06 02:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It was a good con.

Baltimore's big enough that it gets a large and fairly diverse bunch of guests but not so large that it becomes impossible to approach people.

I wasn't interested in buying a lot of stuff, so I didn't spend too much time in the Dealers' Area. I did get several fine sketches, one of which you may actually get to see if I read Ultra Boy's post correctly. (The Miner household still lacks a scanner.)

It was great hanging out with the LW folks. Sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. It was also fun to watch two non-LW friends go completely bats at their first ever big convention.

It was also great to get the chance to tell creators whose work I enjoy that I enjoy their work. Someday I hope to be able to do that without tripping over the English language in the process.

Anyway, good show. Shout outs to our LW volunteers who worked Barry and Mark's booth during the show, and to Barry and Mark themselves for making the trip.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#46480 09/13/06 06:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sorry I missed you, Miner. I assume you were at the "collaborators Forum," too.

#46481 09/13/06 07:06 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Hi Guys
Well I'm back in the UK and back at the drawing desk. I do have to say a huge thanks to all of you for making the convention such a pleasure for me to attend!

I think the best thing I've ever seen done at a convention was by a Legionworlder (who will remain nameless until he gives me permission to say otherwise) - who having stoof in line for at least two hours for a sketch...and after I'd actually started his sketch gave up his place and told me to stop working on his sketch as it was getting near the end of the day and there was someone in the line who couldn't come back on Sunday. Not anly did he do that but the three guys behind him in the line did too! AMAZING! Great to see!

I'm only sorry I didn't get chance to chat with more of you individually - we'll have to organize a Legion World dinner or something where I can do sketches exclusively for you guys?

Anyway, it was it was a real honour to meet those of you who made it - thanks again! smile

I'll hopefully write something a little more cogent once I'm past the jet lag! laugh

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#46482 09/13/06 02:45 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Baltimore Comic Con Day 1

Baltimore Comic Con 2006 was an absolutely wonderful experience. It was such a pleasure to meet Barry for the first time. In person he comes across even nicer than on the boards here. Genuine, friendly, and considerate. Thanks Barry for not spoiling a “fan boys” image of his favorite artist.

I will do my best here to explain how the weekend went, forgive me if I missed someone or important details. Sorry for any poor pics, but it was con lighting & a digital camera.

The story of the Con.

The Con doors opened at 10 am on Saturday, and Barry & Mark Waid arrived at the table shortly after that. What they arrived to was a long line, a common theme to be followed throughout the weekend.

Before the Con I had discussed with Barry that if he needed any help at the show I would be available. Well based on the line to start the day, Barry took me up on my offer. (Yes!)

Barry’s sketch policy was as such. If you were having it drawn in a sketch book or had it dedicated to yourself, the sketch was absolutely free, as long as you were willing to wait. Otherwise the cost would be $60. Needless to say, no one paid for a sketch AND whether it was in a sketchbook or not, the recipient wanted it personalized. Based on the faces, none of the 19 sketches done, yes 19, will ever make it to ebay.

Now you Legion Worlders who got sketches. I am not going to “out” you, so please post up to claim your sketch if you want!

So below are the sketches, with commentary as needed. If a person has already posted the image in there own online gallery, I have provided the link to there gallery.

Barry started out with a Wonder Woman for Steve, only to be interrupted by a fire evacuation that required EVERYONE leave the Con building. After about a 30 minute wait Barry was back at it.

Wonder Woman - She fights the forces of evil!

Next up was a Batwoman.........:

BATWOMAN!!

Followed by a Robin

[Linked Image]

Big Fan Boy Mike Fogg wanted a Planetary character & Barry decided to do Jakita.

Jakita

Next up was Golgoth form the Empire series.

[Linked Image]

And after that was out 1st Legion, albeit L.E.G.I.O.N Character Lobo. To arguably the happiest fan of the entire weekend Kurt. I saw him on Tuesday & he was still smiling.

[Linked Image]

Next up was Mary Marvel & Atom Girl!

[Linked Image]

And the parade of Legion Ladies continued with Shadow Lass.

[Linked Image]

With only about an hour left in the Con, I was checking with the next several people in line to inquire who was going to be back on Sunday. Unfortunately for Mike he was #4 on the list and with 1 hour left there was no way Barry could make it to him. THEN a LW’er jumped in and offered to switch spots. What a guy. Thanks. So next up was Powergirl. Which I personally like way much better than the typical, ummmmm, say….. “larger” version. She would look very good in the Legion as well!

[Linked Image]

Last sketch of the day was The Scarlet Witch. Check it out in Steve's Gallery here: Scarlet Witch

So in the 1st 8 hour day, with a 30 minute fire alarm break & a 1 hour panel break Barry made it through 10 sketches. With most of the recipients waiting in the line the entire day, with only a break for the panel. Which was not required of them, but they wanted to watch Barry draw. What dedication, a theme to be repeated the next day.

Special thanks to Barry from all as he basically chained himself to the table, surviving on coffee, 2 bites of a ham sandwich, and the 5 pm consumtion of a hotdog in 15 seconds flat. It was like he was on a deadline. Absolutely amazing. Wow!

More in the next post, Sunday!

UltraBoy
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,841
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Star Boy
Star Boy
Melbourne, Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star