Roll Call
1 members (supragirl, supragirl, supragirl), 66 Murran Spies, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:07 PM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: LSH at Baltimore
#46508 09/06/07 01:25 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Matthew E:

(Not that I imagine they'll give us a good answer. I'm really just wondering if they realize there's a problem in the first place.)
It could be a screw up...I've thought that myself.

But the reason I am looking forward to it instead of dreading it is because Mark Waid wrote Mon-El into the Legion and Geoff Johns wrote the Mon-El story in Action #10. And they came out almost simultaneously....and it's not like Mark and Geoff weren't talking at that time...they were working on Countdown together.

I think the paradox is by design...and even it isn't they probably aren't going to go public with the screw up.

If it was a screw up, and screw ups do happen, even to comic book creators...hopefully they'll find a positive solution...

#46509 09/07/07 03:14 PM
Active
Active
The paradox with Mon-El is not new. I wonder what Mon-el in the Phantom Zone thought when he saw himself, Superboy, Duo Damsel & Shadow Lass appear from the future in Adventure 369-70?

#46510 09/07/07 05:11 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by googoomuck:
The paradox with Mon-El is not new. I wonder what Mon-el in the Phantom Zone thought when he saw himself, Superboy, Duo Damsel & Shadow Lass appear from the future in Adventure 369-70?
It probably gave him a sense of joy that one day he would be freed. That's what I always thought.

This isn't the same paradox...this paradox is what seems to be the same Mon-El, appearing in Legions from 2 different worlds. Since Mon-El was actually immaterial at the time of the Mordru story...the typical comic book science of a character being unable to be two places at once doesn't really apply...his younger self was an immaterial ghost.

This 2 Legion thing is a whole new world of paradox, literally.

#46511 09/07/07 05:19 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Superboy:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
[b] The paradox with Mon-El is not new. I wonder what Mon-el in the Phantom Zone thought when he saw himself, Superboy, Duo Damsel & Shadow Lass appear from the future in Adventure 369-70?
It probably gave him a sense of joy that one day he would be freed. That's what I always thought.

This isn't the same paradox...this paradox is what seems to be the same Mon-El, appearing in Legions from 2 different worlds. Since Mon-El was actually immaterial at the time of the Mordru story...the typical comic book science of a character being unable to be two places at once doesn't really apply...his younger self was an immaterial ghost.

This 2 Legion thing is a whole new world of paradox, literally.[/b]
For all we know, the Phantom Zone is like the Bleed, intersecting all the worlds of the multiverse. Mon could have been released from (and returned to) the PZone in Waid's version and then released into the Lightning Saga version. Same person, different continuities, very interesting concept. He could well be the only DCU hero that knows the truth about all 52 worlds in the mutltiverse.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#46512 09/08/07 04:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Phantom Zone like the Bleed - that's a great idea, Vee!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#46513 09/08/07 03:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn !

Just got back home from a big u-turn on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. My nine year old, in her "S" logo t-shirt to match mine, got sick in the car when we were about 15 minutes away from the convention.

I had planned for a year to take her with me to meet Barry and get him to sign JLA Year One for her. It was the only Barry Kitson work I knew of that was age-appropriate for her and of interest to her, and nice alternative to the toonverse comics she reads now.

I may try to go to Baltimore in the morning, but that's a pretty unlikely.

Barry -- hope you're coming back in 2008!

#46514 09/08/07 03:35 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Sorry to hear that Lad Boy. I hope your daughter is OK.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#46515 09/08/07 05:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
she's fine. thanks.

#46516 09/08/07 11:19 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Yeah, sorry that happened.

I actually had a lot of fun this year. I was able to talk with Shooter for a bit and have him sign one of my Adventure issues. I also got a Matter-Eater Lad sketch, not to mention two great prints of Legion work from Dennis Calero.

Barry's table had a line that seemed a mile long, so I wasn't able to drop by and meet with him. I also saw that Greg Laroque was there.

#46517 09/09/07 12:55 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Any nuggets of the Shooter talk you might wanna share with us, ultrajo?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#46518 09/09/07 09:08 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Nothing that hasn't been said already. I definitely think he was surprised when I pulled out "The Ghost of Ferro Lad” issue to be signed. It was interesting to listen to him critique the artwork of the two guys in front of me.

I am curious if any body else from here that went to Baltimore visited Callero's table. I have to say he had some beautiful prints available. I picked up a 4C of the cover for issue #32 and a bw of the panel with Cosmic Boy surrounded by Dominators. He also had some nice Green Lantern prints. Callero had great things to say about Manupal.

I have to say, for me, this year was a much better experience. My friend told me that he had heard the attendance had over doubled last year's. The main floor was definitely larger. Though I do have to say that I was appalled at the lack of tact and manners that some of the attendees displayed. I can understand giving artists and writers some copies to sign, but when people pull up with their long boxes and tie up the line, it is very inconsiderate of the rest of those waiting, not to mention the professional's time. These people should be charged a fee.

I also went to the Weiringo memorial panel and listened to colleagues and friends reminisce about him. They seemed like a tight-knit family. Very close. Some of the stories were very funny. A nice end to the day.

#46519 09/09/07 01:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
ok something weird happened when trying to post via mobile device.

#46520 09/09/07 02:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
so now I'm just editing multiple duplicate posts with random words.

Well I couldn't make it to Baltimore this morning. Kind of a drag -- especially since I had been emailing Barry and Dennis ahead of time and planning to take my daughter with me. I had even gotten around to making my list of missing LSH and JLA issues to look for in the bins.

Oh well, hopefully 2008 will be better.

#46521 09/09/07 04:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
From Newsarama :

Shooter talked about his run on the Legion, pointing out that he started writing Legion 42 years ago, and the last time he wrote the characters was 30 years ago. "That's got to be some kind of record," he said. Shooter said the series will be keeping the continuity that has been built during

Shooter said the run will start with an epic 16-issue story -- pointing out that of course there will be smaller stories within the larger story. "The two main villains are Geoff Johns and Brad Meltzer, who are stealing the Legion," he joked. He said he's enjoying revisiting the characters, but is coming up with "new and different stuff" as well. "The Legionnaires are all about defending life, so I like the idea of them going out and doing that," he said, adding that comics characters have a "tendency to hang around the HQ until somebody attacks you," and he wants them to go out and make things happen.

Waid said he's thrilled that Shooter is taking over the version of the Legion that he began, adding that he had wanted -- way back when he was doing Action Comics Weekly -- to have Shooter do a Legion Academy comic for DC, but it never happened. "If I'm going to pass the baton to anybody, there's nobody I'd rather pass it to," Waid said.

#46522 09/09/07 04:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn !

Just got back home from a big u-turn on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. My nine year old, in her "S" logo t-shirt to match mine, got sick in the car when we were about 15 minutes away from the convention.

I had planned for a year to take her with me to meet Barry and get him to sign JLA Year One for her. It was the only Barry Kitson work I knew of that was age-appropriate for her and of interest to her, and nice alternative to the toonverse comics she reads now.

I may try to go to Baltimore in the morning, but that's a pretty unlikely.

Barry -- hope you're coming back in 2008!
Sorry to hear about your daughter LB.

#46523 09/09/07 05:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Shooter was also asked about character ownership in regards to his original work on the Legion:

Can Shooter speak to him owning the Legion characters because he wrote his first Legion issues when he was 13 years old? Shooter said he knew what he was doing when he signed the characters over -- he knew DC would own them. He said he was told, when he was writing for Marvel, that he could actually sue DC for ownership because he was not an adult when he signed over the characters -- and there had been no contact with his parents by DC. "I thought about it," he said. "And I said, 'No. I knew what I was doing at the time'" Shooter said it would be "dishonorable to backtrack on that deal."

Didio joked, "Is somebody taping this, please?"

Shooter said he later found out that Ditko was underage when he signed over Spider-Man. "If it's good enough for Steve, it's good enough for me."

#46524 09/09/07 07:59 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Ditko was born in November 1927. That means he was 34 when Spider-Man debuted in August 1962. Either Marvel sat on the character for a very long time or New York has a very high age of consent.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#46525 09/10/07 11:17 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Jim Lee Baltimore-Legion related.

"Which DC characters does he want to work with? The Legion of Super-Heroes still top Lee’s list, and he could see himself doing a Wonder Woman project."

Geez, DC give the guy a chance. He's been saying this since about 2000.

#46526 09/10/07 11:58 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Hi guys!

Thanks to everyone who came and said hello, and who may have bought a print or a sketch.

Legion fans are the best, and I appreciate how you guys have really taken me in and made me feel welcome even tho Tony and I are the "fill in" team. Thanks!!!

#46527 09/10/07 12:19 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Jim Lee Baltimore-Legion related.

"Which DC characters does he want to work with? The Legion of Super-Heroes still top Lee’s list, and he could see himself doing a Wonder Woman project."

Geez, DC give the guy a chance. He's been saying this since about 2000.
Yeah but he produces like 2 comics a year now. I don't look forward to him working on a title I like because he can't, or doesn't, produce work at a decent rate now.

#46528 09/10/07 01:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Superboy, well he did state he wanted the "original" Legion not another one. I guess him doing an arc or mini with the LS Legion would make him happy...but more importantly it would make me happy.

#46529 09/10/07 01:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Could you imagine the last year or two of Lee's output at Marvel Comics back when Shooter was EiC. Picture it just for giggles.

#46530 09/10/07 01:44 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Dennis Calero:
I appreciate how you guys have really taken me in and made me feel welcome even tho Tony and I are the "fill in" team. Thanks!!!
You guys aren't the 'fill in team'; you're the real thing. Unfortunately, they're not letting you be the real thing for very long, but it doesn't mean that those five, six issues count for any less.

#46531 09/10/07 01:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Like Matthew said. No such thing as a fill in team. You work on the Legion, even one issue, you become part of their history.

#46532 09/10/07 02:03 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Dennis Calero:
Hi guys!

Thanks to everyone who came and said hello, and who may have bought a print or a sketch.

Legion fans are the best, and I appreciate how you guys have really taken me in and made me feel welcome even tho Tony and I are the "fill in" team. Thanks!!!
You and Tony have done some nice and interesting work to this point with a really eclectic feel. I've enjoyed it. Interesting stuff and an interesting view of the Legion.

I try to come up with a way of describing it...gothic? Atmospheric? It's almost got a horror feel to it...it's cool stuff.

I hope all the furor over the LS Legion and Shooter's return doesn't make you guys feel like chopped liver...you aren't. The truth is you guys could be putting out the greatest Legion work ever but since no one was expecting you guys to be permanent additions, it would still be kind of lost in the shuffle at this particular moment in time.

Everyone is trying to figure out what is going on with the various Legions coming up.

I've enjoyed the work of Calero and Bedard...I never got too attatched to it because I knew it probably wasn't going to be a permanent thing, no matter how good, or bad, it was...

Could be a blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it...if you guys had been the regular team, eveyrone unhappy with the current state of the Legion would have put you guys in their crosshairs. Now, instead you guys get to be the "I'll never understand why DC didn't keep them on the book, they were really good" team. wink

There's no doubt, even to this point, the Legion work you guys did stands apart and is one of the more unique intepretations of the Legion in it's 50 year history. Well done :tu

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,843
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Kid Beetle, Star Boy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star