Roll Call
0 members (), 29 Murran Spies, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
Re: Justice Society of America (spoilers!)
#468938 12/06/07 03:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I somewhat agree with focusing on character. Mainly cause I haven't seen much from some favorites of mine like Hawkman and Sandman.

With JSA Classified you'd think they would tell more tales with these characters. Maybe make JSA Classified a one issue story. I would like that.

#468939 12/06/07 03:23 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm beginning to think that the introduction of all these additional characters to the JSA (and also the JLA this month) is leading up to something big...as is Final Crisis.

The scene with the two Flashes on the treadmill shows them spotting Robin & Huntress from Earth 2 in action. Yet there is no longer an Earth 2...only a black void where it should be. Perhaps Final Crisis will return Earth 2 to existence in the multiverse and the JSA heroes will repopulate it. After all, it really doesn't make sense for them to have 2 Supermen on Earth 1.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#468940 12/06/07 03:25 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Caliente:
I'm sort of disappointed that the next issue will introduce another slew of new characters. I love the JSA, I do, but making it into the 21st Century's version of the Legion seems so unnecessary. I wish Geoff would take time to develop the characters he already has, explain how they've changed, etc. etc.

It's times like this I really miss the old JSA...
I so agree.

I'd love to see several stories featuring Cyclone, Citizen Steel, Wildcat (the new one), Damage, Starman, Hourman & Liberty Belle, and with Power Girl actually acting as leader.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#468941 12/06/07 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Vee:
I'm beginning to think that the introduction of all these additional characters to the JSA (and also the JLA this month) is leading up to something big...as is Final Crisis.

The scene with the two Flashes on the treadmill shows them spotting Robin & Huntress from Earth 2 in action. Yet there is no longer an Earth 2...only a black void where it should be. Perhaps Final Crisis will return Earth 2 to existence in the multiverse and the JSA heroes will repopulate it. After all, it really doesn't make sense for them to have 2 Supermen on Earth 1.
Dare we hope?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#468942 12/06/07 04:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The problem I have with the JSA and Earth-2 is...I'm not a fan of Earth-2 JSA. I'm a fan of THIS JSA.

And it was this JSA that has really made it big not the E2 version.

#468943 12/06/07 04:36 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Ditto on the E-2 count. I mean, CoIE happened the year I was born. (Before I was born, technically.) I grew up post-multiverse. It really holds little appeal to me.

Also, I miss Sand!!! sob Why is he such a creeper now? I mean, Obsideon I can understand but Sandy? He was JSA chairman and... and... frown I'd like to see him, please. And not all creeped out.

#468944 12/06/07 06:56 PM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Caliente:
Ditto on the E-2 count. I mean, CoIE happened the year I was born. (Before I was born, technically.) I grew up post-multiverse. It really holds little appeal to me.
The year after for me, but basically the same thing.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#468945 12/06/07 09:16 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Is it just me or was anyone else bothered by Hourman Rick's comment "did I drink too many martinis at your mom's last night?"

He's an alcoholic and an addict, isn't he? I think this married couple's tragedy could stem from something like this...

#468946 12/07/07 10:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm pretty into the mulitverse, despite being only about four years older than 'Boot and Cali (which of course, makes me very wise to those young whipper-snappers).

HOWEVER, I like *this* JSA, and would like to see more of their adventures.

Knowing of a WWII-related JSA on Earth-2, however, would be hella-kewl for me. Since that appears to be what is going on, and Power Girl and Superman of E2 (who died in IC) are from there, I'm into it.

If the Freedom Fighters and SHAZAM family were on a completely different Earth and not on this current Earth, I'd prefer that. Spread things out a bit, since DC has more heroes than I have sexual impulses and only seems to be adding to the bunch every half-week.

#468947 12/07/07 11:24 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Vee:
That's my biggest beef with this title. It seems too constrained by the next big thing.

Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
...DC has more heroes than I have sexual
impulses...
...and as a result has a bi-annual housekeeping crisis.

#468948 12/10/07 02:42 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
In many ways the current JSA just embodies so much of what bugs me about the current DC generally, from the whole "nonogenarians-in-tights" to the "children-of-those-nongenarians-that-they-apparently-had-in-their-sixties" to the fact that the whole "legacy" thing basically amounts to a guarantee that every character will be a recycling/re-imagining of an idea from the forties rather than something genuinely new. It's just difficult for me to take any of it seriously (especially when they have random Nazis showing up with no explanation).

#468949 12/10/07 03:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
While JSA is probably my favorite title I agree with you 100% EDE.

I don't mind some legacy characters but was really hoping for new blood aka new legacies. Heck I always wanted a non-traditional JSAer to join like Blue Beetle.

Random nazis are getting old.

#468950 12/10/07 09:54 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I dropped this JSA relaunch quickly because of the aforementioned random Nazis. IMO, this team hasn't had a good storyarc since they time-travelled to stop Per Degaton in the previous JSA book. The worst part is that this book LOOKS better than the previous one usually did (kinda like how I feel about Avengers in the Bronze Age, when George Perez was hitting his stride at the same time that Steve Englehart quit, and IMO the writing sucked for the next few years even though the art was good.) I often wonder if I don't like the JSA relaunch because of the way Geoff Johns is allowing Alex Ross to influence the scripts; I'm not a Ross fan, and I especially don't have any interest in seeing the Kingdom Come universe revisited. Guess I'll have to re-read the first 75 issues of the previous JSA.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#468951 12/10/07 10:24 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[b]...DC has more heroes than I have sexual
impulses...
...and as a result has a bi-annual housekeeping crisis.[/b]
DC, or Cobie? hmmm

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#468952 12/11/07 01:58 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
What's wrong with fighting random Nazis? I've always thought the LMB coulda used more random Nazis to fight...mighta helped our sales! smile

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#468953 12/11/07 11:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree with LL. Can't beat a story putting a butt-whooping on even a random nazi. Amongst my fav issues of Fables, Wonder Women and even legion there are nazi whoopings. In fact, if I were to write my own book, there would be at least one panel of a nazi whooping in every issue and two in the king-sized 100 page special.

#468954 12/12/07 12:33 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
HELL YEAH!!! 'Em durn Nazzies got it comin'!

#468955 12/12/07 10:52 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree with EDE about the recycling of costumed identities. Doing that every so often is one thing, but DC is doing this en masse lately between JSA, Freedom Fighters, Blue Beetle, the Spectre and a host of others.

It'd be better to let many of these identities lie low for awhile and do it peicemeal over a period of years/decades. In the meantime, genuine 'new' ideas, like Firestorm in the late 1970's are whats really needed right now.

In the Silver Age, for every reimagined Flash, Atom, Hawkman or Green Lantern, there was a Rip Hunter, Adam Strange, Martian Manhunter (pre-dates Barry Allen by only about a year), Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown and others.

That being said, and I realize I'm contradicting myself slightly, I love the new Mr. Terrific, Dr. Midnite and even Starman. But with now another Wildcat, Mr. America, and others to come, I'm nervous about seeing even more of them.

#468956 12/12/07 01:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Re: Nazi's. I'm just tired of seeing generic Nazis. I think they've been played out. I'm not even politically correct but I just see them a bit...overused?

Maybe we can get middle eastern Al-Qaeda villains to fit the times.

#468957 12/12/07 06:47 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I don't have a problem with Nazis, per se, but give them some back story. I'm all for some elaborate Himmler's-brain-being-resurrected-in-a-giant-robotic-spider-body-in-Switzerland-and-organizing-a-secret-Neo-Nazi-organization-that-threatens-the-entire-DCU or something like that. But just having Nazis show up in Burbank one day and the JSA fight them because, hey, the current JSA is kind of modeled on the team from WW2 just seems kind of pointless.

And Cobie's right about the Silver Age. It was nothing if not progressive. It was an era of new ideas first and foremost. Even the stuff that was "re-imagined" was, for the most part, radically different than its source material, and quickly developed its own mythology that was much different than the originals. That's why I think a lot of the current crop of writers who want to remodel the DCU on the Silver/Bronze Age just miss the mark, because they seem to miss the fact that the spirit of the Silver Age was one of innovation.

#468958 12/13/07 12:07 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You said it perfectly just there. It truly was an age of innovation first and foremost.

#468959 12/13/07 01:32 AM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Okay, I see where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to argue the point about the Nazis because I definitely agree that it's become a bit trying. However, I think the tries at reimagining and progress the DCU in recent years have been met with really mixed results.

The threeboot is a brilliant example. It's a reimagining that's radically different than its source material and has developed its own mythology that's much different than the originals. And some people, like me, really like it. Because this is the era I was first introduced to and I wasn't familiar with the source material. But for every fan like me, there's a fan who don't like it. They like what they're familiar with.

Honestly, I just think it's a bit much to expect that sort of constant movement. Because there's always going to be a divide between the fans who want things to stay the course and those that want an all-new, all-different helping. If there wasn't, there wouldn't be the Baron Helmut Zemo camp (Niec...whatever his name is) who believe Nazis can have dimensions and the camp to keep Nazis one-dimensional and eternally vilified (I'm looking at you, Dan Slott).

So, uh, yeah. Diversity of cannon fodder would be great-- especially if they'd stop using the Amazons, too. I am so sick of those chicks. But I don't know about the Silver Age ideal.

#468960 12/13/07 02:02 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
One thing about ratzis, though...they are one of the last remaining real life bad guys that are still safely considered bad guys by history. I mean, when I was a kid, Indians were always the bad guys, can ya believe it? We understand that better, now, but we can always hopefully rely on ratzis as a standby as long as the Holocaust is never forgotten.

So I'll never be too pissed by random Nazis being used as stock villains, though the entertainment value may not be what it once was.

#468961 12/13/07 07:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That’s an interesting comment about who we can see as “the Baddies” Lardy. Like you I am old enough to remember Cowboys and Indians and have read enough history to have seen the use of racial and nationalistic stereotyping to portray a recognizable bad guy we can all hate. Examples such as Fu Manchu and Ming the Merciless as the Yellow Peril, or the Evil Russian/Communist now seem consigned to the past. I’m not even sure that the rise of Al Qaeda allows the entertainment media to portray The Arabic world as the bad guy now.

In fact the only ones Hollywood seems to be able to use to portray evil are the Brits? confused

Maybe our secret is out? wink

Faithfull
#468962 12/13/07 11:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
And Cobie's right about the Silver Age. It was nothing if not progressive. It was an era of new ideas first and foremost. Even the stuff that was "re-imagined" was, for the most part, radically different than its source material, and quickly developed its own mythology that was much different than the originals. That's why I think a lot of the current crop of writers who want to remodel the DCU on the Silver/Bronze Age just miss the mark, because they seem to miss the fact that the spirit of the Silver Age was one of innovation.
Writers have tried to be innovative- Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, Bart Allen as the Flash, the Monolith, Blue Beetle, Milligan's Infinity Inc, the new Metal Men.

Just spouting off.
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,837
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Portfolio Boy
Portfolio Boy
Sumner, ME
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star