Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 26 Murran Spies, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:21 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Re: Justice Society of America (spoilers!)
#469013 08/04/08 04:48 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I remember a '90s Batman story where Bruce legally adopted Dick as an adult, so he would easily be able to inherit his estate.

Seems to me that E2 Huntress and Robin teamed up a lot in their appearances. I wonder how much older this Dick is than Helena? Possibly, anywhere between ten and twenty years, I'd imagine. Nothing wrong with that these days, but a bit odd, seeing as how Dick probably babysat her and what-not.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#469014 08/04/08 05:15 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Which is probably why Dick is clueless about how Helena feels. He probably still thinks of her as the kid he use to babysit.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#469015 08/04/08 05:21 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hmmm...was there an E2 Barbara Gordon?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#469016 08/04/08 05:38 PM
Deputy
Deputy
The metatext of this annual story is fascinating. After 20 years, through the intervention of a "god," Power Girl (representing we, the JSA/Earth-2 fans) goes home to Earth-2. And this certainly appears to be Earth-2, up to the COIE point and after when most of Infinity, Inc. got slaughtered. The feel and luck is pitch-perfect, with Jerry Ordway delivering art in a style that fits seamlessly with his efforts circa 1984.

And yet, the effect on this reader was very much like that on Power Girl -- the sense of misplacement, of things not being quite right. As angry as I am about how many Earth-2 characters were treated in the last 20 years, I find I prefer the ones who are left. The whole Flash mythos is so much richer for having Jay Garrick in it. Alan Scott's losses and travails make him an even more noble character. Wildcat is far cooler now, on New Earth, than he ever was on Earth-2, and he was pretty cool. And my lord, the cattywampus New Earth Hawkman has so much more oomph than his bland Earth-2 pedecessor.

Then, what do you know, ANOTHER Power Girl shows up and turns the entire JSI lickity split against OUR Power Girl, and before you know it the JSI is transformed into a vengeful mob of continuity-enforcing fanboys, determined to expunge the less-than-perfect Kara Zor-L from their museum-quality period piece of a world.

By the end of the book, I had very little interest left in a continuation of this Earth-2. After all, wasn't it supposed to be the land of better good guys, the Golden Age that the Earth-2 Superman wanted to recreate in Infinite Crisis? And yet, we have Helena Wayne completely lost, tied to a man she doesn't really love, so upset she's ready and willing to kill the Joker in retaliation. This is like expecting to watch a JFK hagiography on the History Channel and tuning in to Mad Men instead. Instead of the Golden Age, we get its ugly underbelly. Earth-2 isn't perfect. It's a world of repressed feelings with characters stuck in creative amber for the last 20 years and who are turning homicidal as a result.

One is left to wonder how much of this Johns consciously intended and how much just leaks out of his continuity/fanboy creative unconscious. Really, unless JSofA is relocating to Earth-2, and I don't think it is--Johns and Ross have just done too good a job giving it a rationale separate from JLA or any other team--then Earth-2 has to turn out to be undesirable. The characters (and us fan boys) could NOT spend the next umpteen years pining for the old days. Johns is showing us that the old days aren't as great as we remember them.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#469017 08/04/08 07:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
[b] Hmmm. But she- and we- were told that she *wasn't* from DC-Earth and was from Earth 2. This could be another Earth, or a giant trick or one of the PG's either a hoax or not who they think they are.

Anyway, I didn't see it coming.

I agree though- it isn't one of those surprises that keep feeling like a surprise, if you know what I mean.
But isn't that true of Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Jade, et.al.? Power Girl was just the hardest to work in of the Earth-2 characters because of her ebing the Supergirl of Earth-2.

A sort of flaw in the story (which I'll overlook unless Geoff Jonhs has a good explanation) is why Gog didn't send Jay Garrick et.al. also back to Earth-2. [/b]
The Golden-Age JSAers that Gog met were the New Earth versions of those characters; they didn't get sent to Earth 2 because they didn't not-belong on New Earth (Huntress mentioned that the Earth 2 Jay Garrick was still around, though retired as the Flash).

Conspicuous by his absence was Henry King, Jr./Brainwave II; I wonder if he'll turn up later? (hopefully not as a villain; I always liked him)

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#469018 08/05/08 10:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I didn't catch Brainwave's no-show... kind-of unnerving for me now that you mention it... I've disliked the character since he erased Lyta's memories of her parents (and yes, I realize it had to be done so that Lyta could survive in a post-Crisis world) in INFINITY INC # 27... my brief review of which you can read HERE: Kewl moments of Comics Past

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#469019 08/05/08 12:02 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Whoah, Brainwave. Bet he's behind the 2nd Power Girl. That's right up his dad's alley!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#469020 08/05/08 06:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Vee:
Which is probably why Dick is clueless about how Helena feels. He probably still thinks of her as the kid he use to babysit.
Their mutual attraction was a plot point in the HUNTRESS back-up series collected in a recent trade. Johns is clearly riffing off of this.

He isn't clueless; he, like everyone else, has assumed she's chosen someone else.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#469021 08/09/08 08:54 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I finally got this yesterday.

First, it's so great to see all my Infinitor friends again. It would have been cliché, but I kind of was hoping there would be a scene where Karen told most of the gathered heroes "In my world...you're all...dead!" On the other hand, I think that would have taken away from the downcast faces expressing grief over the death of Kal-L.

Still, the Infinitors have, collectively, received some of the worst treatment of any of DC's characters. At some point, every one of them has turned evil, lost their powers, died, or some combination thereof. Poor Hector has died three times!

It is always such a treat to see Jerry Ordway's art. He draws the definitive Jennie-Lynn and Lyta. I loved the new designs for Hector and Norda's outfits.

Rick and Sand are both missing from the gathering, which then makes Todd the only character who is a regular in the JSA book who appears in this annual--other than Karen herself. It will be interesting to see how he will be treated here.

I'm looking forward to whatever happens next.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#469022 08/14/08 08:03 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, I thought the annual was great. Poor Power Girl.

But really, seeing those Infinitors, and especially the Atom, giving a real sense of continuation of Earth-2, well that was great. Especially by Ordway. It made me think of many of you--those of you who truly knew Earth-2, rather than I, who only knew of it through back issues in the years after Crisis. It made me really feel good for those fans.

What I like the most is the idea that Earth-2, and all the other 'main' Earths, still exist, as if Crisis happened and they continued on thereafter. So Earths 2, 4, S and X never were destroyed, and essentially, only Earth-1 was changed post-Crisis to a 'new Earth' (unless Earth-1 exists somewhere, which I can't help but does, which would really be cool).

But I agree with Doublechinner--Geoff does a good job of showing you can't go home again. I'd rather read about the current JSA as it exists now, than a continuation of Earth-2. But I'm just really glad Earth-2 exists as it once was, surviving the Crisis. That's comforting.

#469023 08/28/08 08:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
JSA #18: Magog finally debuts. With little to no surprise.

Hawkman's narration communicated the recent blunt violence of the character well. I wonder how many times over the years Hawks and Jay have had 'discussions'?

Like Secret Invasion in the Savage Land, this story seems stalled.

I'm not intrigued by a Damage/Judomaster pairing (she bores me), but I liked the page that had her doing a split while eyeing Grant as he makes a bit of a fool of himself. LOVE the panel of Ma Hunkel tucking a still-slumbering Sandman into bed. "It doesn't matter how you're getting a good night's sleep, Sandy, you take it." Wise woman, that.

Unless, of course, he can't wake up.

Power Girl's story from the annual continues here, with her making a surprise visit to a member of the regular JSA cast's unsuperheroic counterpart on Earth-whatever.

Have there been any hints about what sort of story will be coming *after* Gog/Magog/Kingdom Come Revisited?

#469024 08/28/08 08:25 PM
strange but not a stranger
I don't know. It seems like they have enough to deal with for the next 6 months.

Yeah, no surprize who Magog turned out to be.

I am liking Amazing Man.

For after this story-line, I'd like to see a couple of 2 issue stories focusing on just a few of the members, specifically the new members.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#469025 08/28/08 09:11 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
It's good to see Thom without the schizophrenia (and the mask).

I wonder how long that'll last?

#469026 09/01/08 08:01 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#469027 09/01/08 08:09 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Legatus Ferrous Rodentus:

And I wonder if being schizoid is why Stuey won't show his face...? angel wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#469028 09/01/08 10:10 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
[rips off mask to reveal... <STAY TUNED>]

#469029 09/05/08 01:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

I'd like to see that too. Has he had three lines since being cured? There seemed to be some big portent of Doom he recognised the instant he was cured, but there hasn't been anything mentioned and he hasn't done anything since.

#469030 09/05/08 03:19 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Umm... when Gog created Magog.... what did he do with his PANTS? eek shocked lol

#469031 09/05/08 04:08 PM
And Gog said: Nice pants!

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#469032 09/05/08 06:38 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by rouge:
[b] It's good to see Thom without the schizophrenia (and the mask).

I'd like to see that too. Has he had three lines since being cured? There seemed to be some big portent of Doom he recognised the instant he was cured, but there hasn't been anything mentioned and he hasn't done anything since.[/b]
Apparently, we won't find out Thom's "true mission" until the JSA Kingdom Come Special: The Kingdom (boy, what a mouthful!), scheduled for November 19.

Dunno if the big, ominous secret that's been hinted at relates to that mission or not... but, in any case, it seems odd that he hasn't really said or done anything yet, if indeed there's something important to be said or done.

#469033 09/05/08 06:39 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Pov:
Umm... when Gog created Magog.... what did he do with his PANTS? eek shocked lol
Even more embarrassingly, Gog failed to make Magog anatomically correct! eek (We were spared the sight of that, thankfully...)

#469034 09/05/08 07:29 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Apparently, when Gog resurrected him, He left his "little soldier" dead... eek

#469035 09/06/08 11:10 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
His military rank was "lance corporal"... eek *teehee*

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL, SOLDIER! hmmm

I don't think it's fair to compair tho a meta...

#469036 09/06/08 03:03 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
I thought I read somewhere that Geoff Johns (or whoever first came up with the "third smartest" line) said in an interview that he didn't have a specific #1 and #2 in mind -- just that #3 sort of sounded right.

Of course, "smartness" can be measured in many ways. Some who are brilliant at math or science might have no facility for languages or art, and vice versa.

That said, I would think that some good candidates for #1 and #2 would be Lex Luthor, Dr. Sivana, and Bruce Wayne (though honestly, if we was really that smart, he should have been able to figure out the identity of Sue Dibny's killer almost immediately).

#469037 09/08/08 06:53 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
By the way, I thought Damage's lines from #18 (see my sig) were among the most laugh-inducing in recent memory.

I can't read them in context (Judomaster caressing Damage's face with a come-hither look, and Damage responding with a $#!T-eating grin) without cracking up!

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,836
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rokk steady
rokk steady
Prague, Czech Republic
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star