Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 32 Murran Spies, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Re: Justice Society of America (spoilers!)
#469063 01/04/09 01:57 AM
Leader
Leader
I don't have my Kingdome Come handy-whose funeral is that 20 years later-Captain Marvel's?

And do any of you think the last page represents a sneak peak at the "new" Legion we will see after Lo3W?

Long Live all them Legions!
#469064 01/04/09 11:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's Batman's.

#469065 01/04/09 09:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Friggen' awesome.

Nuff bout that.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#469066 01/07/09 10:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Who didn't see this coming for Gog from the beginning of this storyline? Still, I'm a bit disappointed that the inevitable was, in fact, inevitable.

It was a treat to see that LSH. Will they ever appear again?

The next couple of issues are going to feel a bit strange, knowing that new writers are coming.

I sort of miss the day when you wouldn't know the creative team was changing until *maybe* the issue before the big turnover.

#469067 01/12/09 01:29 AM
Leader
Leader
To me, it ended a bit abruptly.

Long Live all them Legions!
#469068 01/12/09 02:54 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
And do any of you think the last page represents a sneak peak at the "new" Legion we will see after Lo3W?
AFOB, I don't think so. I believe that was just a chance for Alex Ross to draw the Legion again, like he did in KC #1. The characters appeared to be the same (same Superboy and Supergirl uniform variations, etc). Also the fact that this Legion is the Legion of KC earth #22 rather than our "New Earth" (post Superboy-Prime punch Inifinite Crisis).

I would have to say that the post-KC Legion is the reboot team (with the addition of Catspaw and a Bouncing Boy power-up for Chuck, both of which would be okay in my book). So many of the characters had those uniforms. Maybe the team just hadn't met Superboy/Supergirl yet during our reading of the reboot era. smile

Just my ramblings, don't worry about continuity... smile

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#469069 01/13/09 11:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I loved the ending.

While Kal's longevity has been questioned/extended, it seems a brilliant idea to have him as an old man in the Legion's time as shown.

It could be easily overused, though.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#469070 01/13/09 04:18 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I always feel a little sorry for poor ol' Superman whenever they decide he has a mega-prolonged life. It can't be much fun outliving everyone again and again.

#469071 01/14/09 05:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
What gets me is that apprantly, the aging process slows down as he gets older. He has a normal young adult lifespan, then hits about forty or fifty, and apparantly stays that age for about 800 years, then ages into the body of a man about 80 years old for around 200 years or so at least.

Guess the writers all think youth is wasted on the young.

Something pithy!
#469072 01/20/09 12:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
perhaps... but with only a few snapshots to cover all of the centuries, there could be other factors in play as well that suspended his aging for centuries on top of his pre-existing slow aging. Or he spent some time in suspended animation, which we didn't see.

#469073 01/20/09 02:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I probably didn't say it correctly. That seems to happen with a lot of writers, not just of comics.

Someone is born immortal or becomes immortal at an early age. The will age to a certain point, then it seems to be arrested.

Look at Vandal Savage. He became immortal as an adult, and has stayed at relatively the same age. Now, that's fine. Say that the process is so slowed that it takes millennia to notice.

But then you get other characters, in all different genre's, that will become immortal at say 5, and they will age to their mid-teens to early twenties...and then not age for decades or centuries. And then suddenly, they get old.

Its' just weird. wink

Something pithy!
#469074 01/30/09 11:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#23 sees the beginning of a possible change in the guard.

I found Courtney's role problematic. On the one hand, seeing her maturation's a beautiful thing. On the other hand, it's quite annoying for her to be deciding the fate of characters like Sandman who've been around much longer than she.

Though she really only speaks about her 'contemporaries', doesn't she?

Wonder if this conversation will continue next month?

I liked Atom-Smasher's return to the fold (assuming they let him back in). Damage and Judomaster are almost as lame a couple as Invisible Kid and Gazelle. So fitting that both pairs get exposure the same week. Ugh.

Double Ugh for the number in the short black skirt at issue's end.

Please. Enough.

Sigh.

#469075 02/02/09 03:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

I found Courtney's role problematic. On the one hand, seeing her maturation's a beautiful thing. On the other hand, it's quite annoying for her to be deciding the fate of characters like Sandman who've been around much longer than she.
I don't think they talked about Sandman did they? I was pretty sure everyone mentioned (other than Hawkman), were junior on the team to Courtney. I thought it was a great scene to show that she really is a valued and respected member of the team whose opinions are as valid as any of the other "Senior" members.

#469076 02/02/09 03:47 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I loved Stargirl's part, too, and I know Sylvester Pemberton would be proud!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#469077 02/26/09 12:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #24: Mostly the Marvel families... which isn't a bad thing, by any means. There're just so many other JSA characters that need fleshing out.

Nevertheless, the origin of Cap Marvel was an enjoyable retelling with some nice, atmospheric art.

I can't help but cringe everytime I see the pink-haired Mary Marvel, though. With any luck, that character's going to get some refocus by the time Johns and Ordway are done.

It's just as sad to see the once-compassionate, heroic Isis corrupted by vengeance-thirst. Believable, though.

Wildcat/Atom-smasher is a surprising dynamic. I get the feeling these two are gonna be sorting things out with their fists before too long. Probably, it'd be good for each-- in comic book world.

O&O: Power Girl spars with Magog... while a mini-recruitment drive sees Jay speaking to someone with a crown on their pocket? And Mr. America seems to be taking on a sidekick (who salutes him-- without sarcasm). I have no idea who either of these two charcters are. Did Mr. America have a sidekick?

Concluding glimpses: Magog takes on Damage (or Atom-Smasher?) and Wildcat while Jay crouches before a glowing black egg... Mr. Terrific lies in a pool of blood... GL battles Blackthorne? Wildcat, Mr. America and Judomaster fight... someone alien-looking...

#469078 04/03/09 09:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#25-- So, will the Marvel-related events work themselves out here or somewhere else? 'Cause it's the dangler of Demosthenes to leave hanging over the collective readership's head.

I would've liked to see Johns address more of the characters he's populated this title with before he leaves, but I guess he's telling the story he wanted to tell.

Loved seeing Atom-smasher back in the fold. The 'everybody's included' end to the membership discussions was a pleasant turn of events-- I first typed surprise, but decided I really wasn't. Surprised that is.

I'm curious about what's next.

#469079 04/04/09 03:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It figures that if Black Adam is the opposite of Captain Marvel, there'd be an opposite of Shazam.

#469080 04/04/09 04:11 PM
Active
Active
I hope it's Oggar, as that would be a nice node to the Marvel mythos.

That said, I'm glad the "evil" phase is over for Mary Marvel, but not sure I liked how some of the stuff played out. Specifically Shazam's reaction, just seemed way out of character for him and having him solve the BA mess didn't make me happy as too often the wizard seems to solve the problems, kinda makes the Marvels pointless if they can't handle the problems and daddy wizard has to step in. I understand this was a big "level" type of threat, but considering the past few Marvel stories we have
---Superman/Shazam crossover with Eclipso (not the mini but in the Super books) where the wizard comes to save the day
---DoV CM is a holding action until the wizard is ready to fight (and doesn't succeed)
---IC (not much of anything)
---TOS, Billy is the white wizard, Freddy is jerked around by gods of magic AND Billy (it was a learning experience *yuck*)
---Countdown-Mary goes evil and no one shows up
---FC-Mary is still evil and Freddy takes forever to do anything about it (and gets BA's help)
---JSA- Wizard saves day

So you see, I'm a bit tired of the Marvels constantly getting jerked around and not mastering their own fate

I figure the future of the Marvel family will be played out elsewhere, but I'm not optimistic that it will be anytime soon as no one has mentioned plans (and in the last 20 Questions session with Didio he only mentioned plans for BA).

Oh, and the ending with Adam, weird. But still, a fun read and solid issue, it's just the Marvels are my favorite characters and I wanted a bit more to this story than what I got.

Long Live the Legion!
#469081 04/04/09 04:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I bought Power of Shazam last weekend to get a better understanding, but I'm kinda confused as to what time the graphic novel took place in. And I was surprised as hell to find out Black Adam didn't ALWAYS act they way he does. For God's sake I wouldn't have been surprised if Theo Adam had a Brooklyn accent.

#469082 04/16/09 10:08 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Aside from my usual disappointment about how the Marvel Family are handled, the last couple issues were quite tolerable.

I did like that Black Adam has more to him (and indeed some recent history) rather than just being the cardboard-cutout he always has been otherwise.

My revision of BA was an early-20th C origin, maybe a reincarnation (thematic or actual) of an older ancient figure.

But a Brooklyn accent would nave been too much.

#469083 04/16/09 12:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought the Wizard was kind of an ass to poor Billy. I hope that this isn't the end of the Marvel Family...

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#469084 05/02/09 11:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #26: I'm curious, are there any readers of this title who are unaware of the nature of Geoff Johns' relationship to Star-girl?

I'd like to know what those readers thought of this issue, if they exist.

Hard for me to think about it without thinking of his reasons for creating Courtney.

With those in mind, I liked the majority of the issue. I like the father/son bond that's growing between the Wildcats-- like Atom Smasher's return to form-- like the Thunderbolt kid's ode to Star-girl-- always like the Society having birthday parties, Thanksgiving dinners, etc. That should be a part of their lives, more than many other teams.

Though the panel with all the heroes looming over the dentist as he worked on Star-girl was comedic and a fun little bit- it sort of took me right out of things. I mean, that just wouldn't happen with 'normal' family circles, much less costumed superheroes.

I'll miss the work these creators have put into JSA, but look forward to new takes on these characters.

#469085 06/06/09 08:59 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Issue #26 was very much Geoff's farewell to Courtney. I'm sure that giving up writing her was difficult for him.

Regarding #27,it's always great to see Jerry Ordway's art, especially the shot of the original Infinitors on the first page. It's way past time for an issue to showcase Obsidian and I'm glad one of his creators wrote and drew the issues. It showed again just how powerful Todd is. He pretty much held the rest of the JSA at bay single-handedly. It also showed how ready to doubt him everyone was. Rick especially surprised me. As Albert pointed out, he was very upset about Jesse, but to be so ready to doubt two colleagues who have served with him on two different teams, was a bit upsetting.

So, what is the status of Todd's relationship with Damon? It hasn't been addressed in the JSA book at all.

Of course, I loved Albert's comment about it seeming twenty years ago when Infinity was founded. Of course, it was more like 25! laugh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#469086 06/07/09 08:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Revealing that Obsidian's most important story in this series occurs without the character really even appearing, isn't it?

Given the title, GHOST IN THE DARKNESS, I was halfway expecting another trip down badguy lane for Todd and was pleasantly surprised that it doesn't *seem* like that's the direction for Jerry Ordway's story.

I liked seeing Mr. Bones interacting with Atom-Smasher (who knew they were buddies?). Hope he'll be appearing here or elsewhere soon.

The hopping around possessing entity isn't new (or particularly appealing at the moment, see DEATHTRAP in TEEN TITANS land), but there was a wrinkle here that I liked and can't remember seeing quite like presented here. When the entity possesses one of the JSA, the possessed sees what they are doing against their will and keeps up a running commentary while doing it.

I'm not sure what to make of the WWII revenge spirit squad yet.

I hope the character appearing on the last page gives the team a run for their money... and then breaks all ties with the JSA.

Rockhopper- Todd's relationship with Damon hasn't been mentioned since MANHUNTER ceased publication, as far as I know. That series ended with a glimpse of the future, in which the pair was still together and raising a couple of super-powered kis of their own. (Not that that commits DC to adhering to that future)

Perhaps the upcoming Kate Spencer back-up will show the couple, but I wouldn't count on it. At least till the new writers on JSA get their lineup established.

#469087 06/08/09 09:30 PM
Active
Active
Who's Damon?

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,837
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gorilla Nebula
Gorilla Nebula
san francisco
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star