Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/09/24 03:59 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/09/24 03:58 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 06/09/24 03:53 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 06/09/24 03:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:23 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:22 AM
Comic book Catfights
by RED-001 - 06/08/24 07:10 PM
Moonmoons.
by rickshaw1 - 06/08/24 06:18 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 30 1 2 28 29 30
Re: Official '52' Discussion Thread ... SPOILERS!
#489729 05/14/07 11:25 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
All I'm saying is that there's clearly a huge fanbase for the sort of thing that Captain Marvel traditionally is. However, most of that fanbase would never pick up a comic, because they perceive super-hero comics (and comic book readers for that matter) in a certain way that is unappealing to them. And that stereotype is kind of born out if you look at what does in fact sell, namely massive event comics with people's heads getting punched off and Michael Turner drawn covers highlighting Power Girl's boobs.

Given the market of typical comic book readers, it's no wonder that Captain Marvel doesn't sell. Given the market of typical readers, it's actually extremely surprising that they can't figure out how to sell Captain Marvel.
I understand now. I look at his JSA membership (and JLA kind of). He's very popular there. As is Black Adam. I guess I prefer that about Shazam. The other elements? I don't mind them in a elseworlds at all. And I think they can find a niche for it. The Harry Potter crowd is a good example. (though those stories are pretty dark IMO)

#489730 05/14/07 11:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Chemical King, Mr. Mind is a Captain Marvel villain (i think). I think he's kind of like Starro. Except a huge starfish on your face he wiggles and your brain and controls you. I think it's a pretty weak villain IMO. Didn't do much for me. But I guess it's better than a new villain or Parallax, or Hawk?

#489731 05/14/07 12:23 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Mr. Mind was the villain in one of the all-time classic comic stories, The Monster Society of Evil. He's basically the origin of the science fiction trope of "evil alien overlords turn out to be nothing more than heavily-armed intelligent worms".

Basically over the course of three years Captain Marvel fought against this incredibly complex plot by an alien mastermind named Mr. Mind, who among other things was responsible for starting World War II (the Nazis were revealed to be his agents). In the end, Captain Marvel dismantled his entire organization and captured Mr. Mind, discovering him to be nothing more than an intelligent, myopic, telepathic worm from Venus.

I believe it's actually meant to represent the fact that many of the most dangerous figures in history are actually pretty pathetic individuals who nonetheless can have a dramatic impact on world affairs.

#489732 05/14/07 01:49 PM
Active
Active
Still, the fact that he suddenly is "eating" time and space (!!!!) instead of mind waves is rather...... far out....

I can't dig stories like that.

#489733 05/14/07 02:03 PM
Deputy
Deputy
All right, my last post on this thread was pre-final issue.

So--the mainstream DC universe created by COIE exists unchanged. The JSA is here, started during WWII, and exists today. So Earth-2 ALSO exists, only we don't really know what it is yet? What is New Earth? I keep reading about it, but I'm not quite straight on it.

I guess my main problem is that I keep trying to figure out how all of the plotlines affect the main theme of restoring the multiverse. Should I just relax and appreciate the Question(s) storyline for what it is, or should I continute to try to figure out what it has to do with the reappearence of the mulitverse?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#489734 05/14/07 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
armsfalloffboy, i am ready to enjoy the Question and Blue Beetle in the Charlton universe. smile

#489735 05/16/07 03:04 PM
Deputy
Deputy
And based on the exit interviews, does anyone really expect DC to put out a Charlton Beetle AND a DC Beetle? A grown up Earth-2 Robin series + the Robin III series in the mainstream universe? I'm a pretty smart guy, but I'm having trouble seeing where all of this is going to go and how its going to work. It doesn't seem like Countdown is designed to answer any of these questions for me, either.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#489736 05/19/07 01:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Personally I think it's pretty depressing that comics these days have come to be primarily puerile fantasies about uber violence and half-naked chicks with unrealistically huge breasts.
I agree half-heartedly.

#489737 05/28/07 01:39 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by kenaustin:
I was just looking at the 52 chalkboard picture in Wizard, and, this is probably my imagination, but does the image on the bottom left of the board where the Earth is resemble the L* symbol to anybody else?

The 52's going down and across coupled with "Who is Super Nova" form the L. The "Earth" circle and arrows form the starburst.

I may be reaching because of the recent Legion sightings, but it just struck me.
Sorry about this Mr. Dead Horse, I'm probably still seeing things that aren't there, but....

"2000 years from now" didn't make sense to me before because there wasn't any known DC presence in that era, but now we supposedly have "The Knights Tempus" who, coincidentally, are from the 41st century.

Man, I hope there's something in this and I'm not crazy. wink

Also, is it bad form to quote yourself?

#489738 05/28/07 03:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I do it a lot. So no. smile

#489739 03/17/12 05:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I started looking at some of my issues of 52 (I have the whole set) because I started thinking about the bastard version of Infinity Inc. Luthor was responsible for.

The thing is, despite the circumstances of her debut, I sort of liked Nicki Jones, the girl they gave Jade's name to. I'm not going to say what Luthor did wasn't a slap in the face to the dead Infinitors, but I had a soft spot for Nicki since she didn't seem to initially brush off her encounter with Obsidian and Alan Scott as jealousy. And she wasn't with the rest of the group when they attacked the Teen Titans, though she was with them during World War III and fled. I dunno, I think I have a bias for people who have warm regards towards their grandmothers.

I also sort of liked Eliza Harmon (Trajectory). She started off as conceited as the rest of the team, but her death issue did reveal more on her, and made her a little sympathetic to me. I wonder what Bart Allen would've thought of her.

Page 30 of 30 1 2 28 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,001
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Italian Boy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star