Roll Call
2 members (rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, thoth lad), 93 Murran Spies, and 366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/01/24 10:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
BRIGHTEST DAY
#503491 04/07/10 08:07 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Let the speculation begin! Now that we know the full lineup, who's planning to get this?

We've got:
- Aquaman
- Martian Manhunter
- Hawkman
- Hawkgirl(?)
- Firestorm
- Deadman (Aliveman)
- Jade
- Hawk
- Capt Boomerang
- Reverse Flash
- Osiris
- Max Lord

It's already been announced where some of these characters will end up. Any speculations about the main BD story? The "White Power" battery will be part of it, but how? Reactions to the resurrections?

Martian Manhunter: Personally I could do without J'onn. If he weren't an original JLAer I feel he would've been gone a long time ago. Interesting that they've taken him back to his silver age appearance. (after his last series I guess they decided nobody wants to read about a Hulked up conehead)

Firestorm: I guess DC's experimentation with diversity pretty much has ended.(or at least has rebounded) Blue Beetle's series ended, the new Atom's series - kaput! (look for him to be cannon fodder during the next big crossover) Unfortunately, Montoya's still the Question. (drat!) So "Batman: Brave and the Bold" called it. Flamehead's now Ronnie and Jason. (why does "Ebony and Ivory" keep repeating in my head...?) Is Ronnie going to be in the driver's seat the whole time or will we sometimes get Jason? Or will they go old school Trek on us and have him be half white/half black?

"Alliveman" - so he's apparently the only one with a white ring. What can Deadman do now that he's no longer dead? To get a bit silver age reverse-gimmicky, maybe Boston can now use the ring to become dead heroes where they take over *his* body! (and he takes on their powers and they have the appearance of a "white lantern corps" variation of their old costumes?)

Max Lord - So he's alive and causing trouble. For some reason I'm thinking DC is going to turn him into their version of Marvel's the Hood where he'll be the shadowy figure who recruits or manipulates his way to a power base of super powered agents/allies/pawns.

Jade - I'm glad she's back though I never really followed her. Maybe it's because she has a great look, had a stupid death (after being relegated to being Kyle Rayner's cheating girlfriend) and DC always needs more prominent female heroes. Membership in the JLA certainly helps!

Re: BRIGHTEST DAY
#503492 04/07/10 09:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Like the DC-crack-addict I am I'll probably buy every issue of this series and then hate myself immediately afterward! Does anyone know if they have methadone programs for comic-book readers?

I really enjoyed 52 though so I hope Geoff can capture that magic again here.

I like the line-up -

Unlike Drake I'm a big Martian Manhunter fan and think he should be a DCU main-stay. Some characters may not be able to support their own ongoings but they add a whole lot to their comic-book universes just by their very presences - and I think J'onn is one of them.

Hawkman & Hawkgirl - ditto.

Firestorm - I am a Ronnie fan so am obviously very excited about his long-awaited return. I haven't read Jason's solo series but based on all his appearances I've read elsewhere (principally JLA) - I really don't like him. That said, I think the current merging is the best set-up to keep both sets of fans happy so I can live with it.

Aquaman and the Aqua-Family - are definitely my main draw in Brightest Day. I am a BIG fan of the Aquaverse (ever since my brother bought a full-run of the awesome Jim Aparo run of Adventure Comics Aquaman stories way back when - The Shark taking control of Atlantis and exiling Aquaman, the revelation of why Black Manta chose that name, Aqualad's discovery of his birth-right, THE DEATH OF AQUABABY... that is a *fantastic* run of stories and I urge everyone to check 'em out if they get the chance). Anyway, I have high hopes for Arthur, Mera and co. in this book and I will be VERY disappointed if Garth, Vulko, Koryak, Dolphin and all the rest of the great Aquaman supporitng characters who have been so needlessly killed off in recent years don't get a wholesale resurrection by the end of it.

I'm not too involved in the stories of Captain Boomerang, Reverse-Flash or Max Lord though but I'm guessing those will be told in the pages of Flash and Justice League: Generations respectively, so I can probably ignore them for the most part.

All in all - I'm cautiously optimistic about Brightest Day.

#503493 04/07/10 11:28 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
All of the resurrectees bring a level of interest for me. What little I've heard of Johns' opening run on FLASH has me excited for Cap Boomerrang's return. Ditto for Max Lord and JL:GL. And those are two books I likely wouldn't have read otherwise.

I'll pick up BD, give it a couple of months, see how I'm enjoying it. Johns' hasn't disappointed me, and with characters like Carter Hall & Mera, he's already shown he can handle them well.

Just spouting off.
#503494 04/07/10 11:32 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I will certainly purchase Brightest Day, given the creators involved and characters involved and then will review: by either giving praise I feel is deserved or outrageously over the top criticisms.

#503495 04/07/10 11:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Since we brought up BD, I have to ask- anyone interested in Justice League: Generation Lost or DCU:Legacies (or whatever the Len Wein book is called?)

Just spouting off.
#503496 04/07/10 04:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm getting the first issue of BD...more for the ring than anything else.

The Flash series is a given for me. I'm going to continue the main GL title for now.

I cannot afford to follow a biweekly series, so I'll have to read about the JLI group on line.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#503497 04/07/10 05:04 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Wow, I was just thinking of bringing Osirus back in a story (co-habiting Sobek's body, since Sobek, in my sideways-verse, was explicitly created to devour one of the Marvel family and steal their power...).

Freaky that DC killed the dude, resurrected him, and then killed him again, only to be resurrecting him yet again in the same storyline.

He should be named Kenny!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#503498 04/07/10 05:50 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
The first issue of Blackest Night killed any remaining interest I had in the current DCU.

So, no, I am not going to be buying Brightest Day.

I'm trying to avoid buying DCU comics as much as I can because the only way DiDio will get fired is if sales go down.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#503499 04/07/10 11:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^ I completely agree with you re: Didio DD. And I wouldn't just stop there. I think Eddie Berganza is also a blight on that company and some of the things I hear coming from Ian Sattler's mouth trouble me too.

Basically, I think all the problems at that company can be laid at the feet of its incompetent and heavy-handed editors, and the sooner they are all tossed out on the street the better that place would be.

Case in point - I have been very hard on James Robinson and his woeful return to comics, most obviously evidenced by that execrable Cry For Justice drek. But after reading his WonderCon interview I'm a little more forgiving of him. Apparently his editors on that book -

wanted him to have Prometheus destroy every fictional city in the DCU except for Gotham City and Metropolis!

Just think about that for a sec. Star City, Coast City, Central City, Keystone City, Hub City, Midway City, Opal City, Gateway City... all gone.

What kind of creatively bankrupt douchewads could possibly think that that kind of wholesale destruction would improve the DCU?!?

Fortunately James Robinson talked them down into just destroying Star City (which is still bad enough) but with bottom-feeders like that steering these books we love who knows how long before another equally as bone-headed a decsion gets pushed on the writers?

#503500 04/07/10 11:48 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Blacula:
[b]wanted him to have Prometheus destroy every fictional city in the DCU except for Gotham City and Metropolis!

Just think about that for a sec. Star City, Coast City, Central City, Keystone City, Hub City, Midway City, Opal City, Gateway City... all gone.

What kind of creatively bankrupt douchewads could possibly think that that kind of wholesale destruction would improve the DCU?!?
[/b]
Sheesh! Next thing they'll start wanting to destroy whole planets in the Legion! Oh wait... wink

#503501 04/08/10 11:38 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
lol

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#503502 04/08/10 01:31 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^^^ I completely agree with you re: Didio DD. And I wouldn't just stop there. I think Eddie Berganza is also a blight on that company and some of the things I hear coming from Ian Sattler's mouth trouble me too.

Basically, I think all the problems at that company can be laid at the feet of its incompetent and heavy-handed editors, and the sooner they are all tossed out on the street the better that place would be.

Case in point - I have been very hard on James Robinson and his woeful return to comics, most obviously evidenced by that execrable Cry For Justice drek. But after reading his WonderCon interview I'm a little more forgiving of him. Apparently his editors on that book -

[b]wanted him to have Prometheus destroy every fictional city in the DCU except for Gotham City and Metropolis!

Fortunately James Robinson talked them down into just destroying Star City (which is still bad enough) but with bottom-feeders like that steering these books we love who knows how long before another equally as bone-headed a decsion gets pushed on the writers?[/b]
shake

And there are people who think we're overreacting when we say "fire Didio and all the editors"?

Can 'em.

#503503 04/13/10 11:36 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer

#503504 04/16/10 12:12 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[b]^^^ I completely agree with you re: Didio DD. And I wouldn't just stop there. I think Eddie Berganza is also a blight on that company and some of the things I hear coming from Ian Sattler's mouth trouble me too.

Fortunately James Robinson talked them down into just destroying Star City (which is still bad enough) but with bottom-feeders like that steering these books we love who knows how long before another equally as bone-headed a decsion gets pushed on the writers?[/b]
shake

And there are people who think we're overreacting when we say "fire Didio and all the editors"?

Can 'em. [/b]
Why do you guys think I've been busting whatever energy I can spare in between school, my four jobs, and the ongoing soap opera that is my family in that movement to bring back Arsenal's daughter? It's not just about her, but so that why that train wreck doesn't have Harper spend the next two years as a villain, followed by a decade of redemption.

#503505 04/18/10 07:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Read issue #0. Not bad and there's enough to get me to get issue #1.

#503506 04/18/10 07:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I picked up #0. I'm curious enough about Boston Brand and the Hawks to possibly pick up the main series, but I have no intention of picking up the tie ins. What are the chances the story will actually be wrapped up in the series? Any guesses?

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#503507 04/18/10 08:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think the main thrust of the White Lantern will be, but I doubt that all the individual stories wull be 100% completed. They have to get you to buy the next thing.

#503508 04/20/10 01:09 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'M ALL ABOUT JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST.

just hope they don't all end up dead. or evil. or both. and decapitated by a chick in a bathing suit.

#503509 04/20/10 11:15 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
In #1 of BD, who do you think is the soul demanding that Boston resurrect them?
I don't know if there's another thread for this question, but I'm wondering if it might be Kara.

They brought back so many, most that they've killed fairly recently.
But what's the point?
Who's the most famous, currently dead, DCU character?
They brought back Barry, why not Kara, the original?

Brainy's in this era, at the moment.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#503510 04/20/10 11:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I want Holly the Hawk and Owen Mercer the Boomer 2 back alive, not Hank Hawk and Digger. *sigh* Max Lord is back alive is a surprise to me...and I wonder how will that affect Wonder Woman because she was the one who killed him. Hmmm...I sure wish that the white lantern could have brought back more than just 12 people - including Karate Kid and Una (and Kinetix, Sun Boy, Rond Vidar, and Element Lad.)...oh why limit to 12 people?

otherwise, I am so glad to see Firestorm, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman and Hawks back alive with understanding and hoping that they will find a way to bring Kendra and Gehenna and the Aqua family and supporting characters back alive...Kendra has a child who needs a mother....wondering how will Sheira deal with this. too many questions and needs a lot of answers...but afraid that many of them will remain dangling.

#503511 04/22/10 12:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Let's all remember Boston Brand's new powers, used on that little baby bird...

there's no telling who all might come back?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#503512 04/22/10 12:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Since we brought up BD, I have to ask- anyone interested in Justice League: Generation Lost or DCU:Legacies (or whatever the Len Wein book is called?)
Ummm, I AM WICKED INTERESTED.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#503513 04/22/10 01:21 PM
Active
Active
Brightest Day has my curiosity piqued. I want to see what happens with Aquaman and Mera.. loved her nude scenes.. yum!

Anyway, I wanna see where the White Lantern thing goes, and if any other resurrections are coming our way.

I really do not care about the original Capt Boomerang or Professor Zoom. I prefer Owen, and if any originals had been brought back, I'd have rather have seen James Jesse, the original Trickster.

I did pick up some Brightest Day books; Flash #1, Green Lantern #53, and Justice League #44. I really liked the Green Lanten stuff.. you can really see Geoff Johns buildiing up to something huge with that book.. I haven't read the JLA one yet, but the Flash book.... wow. Just beautiful.

I'll be picking up Generation Lost and DCU Legacy too... i may as well just sign my paycheck over to DC..

Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/
#503514 04/24/10 10:02 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Quick question. Did anyone here buy the Final Crisis: Requiem tie-in?

#503515 04/24/10 09:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Was that the Greg Rucka one about the Spectre and the Question? If so, I bought the first couple of issues and then got bored of the sucky story and the scratchy artwork.

Re: Brightest Day #0 - It was a nice intro issue to the various characters who will be taking centre stage in the book but it was a bit light on story. So far I'm most interested in the Deadman, Aquaman, Firestorm and the Hawks' subplots.

My one complaint, and I know it's one I've mentioned before, is that these 12 were the only ones who came back. SO disappointed that they didn't use the opportunity to bring back more. Even just another 10 would've been better. Especially females. Not including Hawkgirl (who only died so they could bring her back a few issues later) Jade was the only returning femme. Where's Lilith? Maxima? Celsius? Dolphin? Golden Glider? Kole? ... It's going to be hard to enjoy something that feels like a missed opportunity.

And to those who think more resurrections are coming - I would love it if that were the case but Geoff Johns specifically said at one of the recent Cons that there were "no more" resurrections to come and that these 12 were it. Would be wonderful if he was just using some misdirection but I'm not so sure.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,839
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Star Boy
Star Boy
Melbourne, Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star