Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Re: GREEN LANTERN
#506488 08/11/07 02:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Originally posted by walkwithcrowds:
[b]I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this or not but...

In the latest issue of S.F.X magazine (a British sci fi mag), there is an interview with Nathan Fillion (of Firefly) and one of the questions that they asked which comic book superhero would he like to play.

He said Green Lantern.

I'm assuming he meant the Hall Jordan version.

I could soooooo see that. I think he would be GREAT.

Any feedback on that one guys?
Yeah, I could see it! I loved him on Firefly and I think "Captain Tightpants" could totally pull it off! [/b]
Ditto the ditto. Fillion actually walks in the door with both the look and the personality.

#506489 08/11/07 02:37 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I think this is a great story so far, but the only problem I have with it is the problem I've had with most "BIG STORIES" lately -- that the plot doesn't really seem to involve more than: "The villain attacks, the heroes fall back, the heroes rally and beat the bad guys." I feel like I've been seeing this A-B-C throughline too often lately.

Hal's battle with Parallax wasn't as powerful as I'd expected, but let's hope his showdown with Sinestro is more dramatic.

#506490 08/17/07 12:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The latest GL issue was pretty good.

Geoff is really trying hard to clear Hal's image. One of my favorite subplots is the anger some of the old school guard has for Hal.

Well Hal is the first one to defend Kyle when Boodikka blames him(Kyle) for killing Lanterns. I don't have a problem with it. I like the friction between Hal and Ke'Haan's camp.

The latest Tomar(Tu) and another Lantern stand up for Hal. In other words non earthers. Guy, John, and Kyle are usually the ones always defending him.

Again...love the art! All the colors!

#506491 08/27/07 12:48 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
So, the Sinestro Corps Special is getting another printing?!? (this time with "Prime" - that's S-Boy to y'all) on the cover) Pretty cool. It's good to see the GL franchise becoming an important corner of the DCU.

And of course Green Lantern was mentioned in the "Simpsons" movie - woohoo! (or should I say, "EEpahh!")

#506492 08/27/07 10:28 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The Sinestro Corps story is hands-down the best DC Story of 2007, and we're not even through with it yet. I mean--wow, fantastic!!

I'm loving everything so far: the tension, the sheer amount the GLs are up against, Hal and the problems with the Lost Lanterns, Tomar-Tu and the other Lantern standing by Hal, Boodikka planning to kill with her ring, the pure awesomeness of the Anti-Monitor...its just pure action & adventure at its best.

Even better though, is that the GL mythos continues to be the real star. The Guardians and the irony that its fear that's driving them in their actions, the awesomeness of Ganthest and the new female Guardian with a name, the color spectrum of emotion in the universe. All very awesome.

Kyle is also getting some major screen time, and though I can see his fans who *aren't* reading the story complaining, I really don't have any fears that he won't make it through this. I, in fact, am looking forward to where this leaves him and think he'll emerge stronger. His visual as Parallax is definately pretty scary.

I'm also loving the GL Corps part of the story. GL Corps is probably one of the most underrated titles in comics right now. Its just plain awesome, with the vast amount of characters. Mogo might just be my favorite GL and his partner is hella-kewl! I love Stel and the Green Man and the major role they have. All the other new Lantern's are hella-kewl, and Arisia, also a favorite, is shining. Kilowog is the biggest bad-ass in the universe, and I like Salaak too. Soranik Natu (sp?) vs. Sinestro was especially well done.

I'm also loving the camraderie of the Earth GLs, including Guy and John, who have been great too, even though they've slightly been more background here.

And the villains, from the unique coolness of all the Sinestro Corps members to the big bads themselves is just highly appealing as a reader. Countdown and Infinite Crisis sorely lack(ed) the tension and magnitude that Sinestro Corps has. Not only is there Sinestro and Cyborg Superman, plus a whole army of Yellow Lanterns and Manhunters, but the big two: Anti-Monitor and Superboy Prime, just waiting.

#506493 08/27/07 06:06 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
One thing about the GLC part of the story that rubs me the wrong way is the increased importance of Mogo to the GLC. Mogo's been around a long time, but it was never mentioned how much he's the "soul" of the GLC or that without him, the recruits would never be able to gain the mental discipline to wear the ring etc (I guess "Willworld" isn't canon then, is it?)

I do love the fact that they're picking up on the prophecy that was introduced all those years ago -- Morrison was just so effective in crafting his little tale of the GLC's downfall that it begged a followup!

#506494 09/14/07 01:03 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
The Sinestro Corps story is hands-down the best DC Story of 2007, and we're not even through with it yet. I mean--wow, fantastic!!
I agree 100%.

I'm also loving the GL Corps part of the story. GL Corps is probably one of the most underrated titles in comics right now. Its just plain awesome, with the vast amount of characters. Mogo might just be my favorite GL and his partner is hella-kewl! I love Stel and the Green Man and the major role they have. All the other new Lantern's are hella-kewl, and Arisia, also a favorite, is shining. Kilowog is the biggest bad-ass in the universe, and I like Salaak too. Soranik Natu (sp?) vs. Sinestro was especially well done.
I've loved this take on the GLC from day one, starting with the mini-series and continuing into the ongoing. Dave Gibbons will, sadly, be leaving GLC at the end of the Sinestro Corps War, but combining all his GLC stories results in about two dozen issues, a nice body of work. The good news is that Gibbons's replacement is Peter Tomasi, until recently the Green Lantern group editor, whose vision was what originally inspired the whole Rebirth-Recharge-Sinestro War cycle; the book couldn't be in better hands. And the spotlight on Kilowog in the most recent GLC issue was awesome.

And the villains, from the unique coolness of all the Sinestro Corps members to the big bads themselves is just highly appealing as a reader. Countdown and Infinite Crisis sorely lack(ed) the tension and magnitude that Sinestro Corps has. Not only is there Sinestro and Cyborg Superman, plus a whole army of Yellow Lanterns and Manhunters, but the big two: Anti-Monitor and Superboy Prime, just waiting.
The only complaint I have about the villains is that Lyssa Drak was built up by Geoff Johns as a villainess to be reckoned with (plus, she's a Talokian, which wins her points with me) only for her to be defeated with ridiculous ease. It's like in Flash, when Johns, introduced a promising female villain (can't remember her name right now) who took over leadership of the rogues, only for her to be easily defeated and cast into that particular kind of limbo where there's so many forgotten characters (villains and heroes alike) who creators seemingly failed to realize their true potential.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#506495 09/14/07 08:50 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The "Corps War" is great so far, but the closer we get to the climax, the more nervous I get that all this setup won't pay off. With such a stellar lineup of baddies, I'm too concerned about Prime, Parrallax, Cyborg Superman, Sinestro and the Anti-Monitor getting good screentime to worry about how Lyssa Drak comes off.

I'm also hoping for a big payoff with Ganthet and Sayd building up Hal's importance. I know the GL mythos is the real star here, but Hal's my man and I wanna see him shine (and in more than one obligatory show of willpower that leaves everyone impressed). The cover image of Hal with all those yellow rings might've taken place in the book, but I feel there wasn't much of a payoff in that confrontation with Sinestro.

#506496 09/14/07 08:44 PM
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I'm too concerned about Prime, Parrallax, Cyborg Superman, Sinestro and the Anti-Monitor getting good screentime to worry about how Lyssa Drak comes off.
I respect your opinion, but I think there's only so many times that the well-established villains can be used effectively.

There's always a need for new blood.

Many writers, in the past and the present, treat villains with potential as throwaways, and the universes are all the poorer for that, except for those obscure villains lucky enough to be embraced by writers from the next generation. For example: Alan Moore's re-invention of the Floronic Man in Moore's first Swamp Thing arc.

#506497 09/15/07 07:57 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Oh, I certainly have nothing against new blood. I've long thought that Hal's rogues gallery could use some beefing up with more space oriented villains and I would love to see some of these Sinestro Corps members in the future on their own. But for a story this jam-packed, I hope we don't get short shrifted on the Big'uns.

Slight change of topic, but what about the GL rings now capable of lethal force against Sinestro Corps members?? Big Picture-wise, I don't quite agree with DC's vision of the Corps. They see them as cops and soldiers, but I want to see the GLC rise above the grittiness that's become so prevalent and actually represent something better.

#506498 09/17/07 11:35 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm somewhat with you there Drake. Rather than cops and soldiers, I'd see them more as 'Knights', in that they stand for something more than maintaing order and battling bad guys. Something else else more akin to solving problems and mediating non-violent disputes, things like that. Actually, its hard to put into words what I mean.

#506499 09/17/07 12:29 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I totally get what you mean, Cobie. A knight rights wrongs and protects the weak and the just, but in a somewhat idiosyncratic fashion, rather than in the supposedly systematic, uniform way a police force would. More importantly, a knight is valuable more for the inspiration he provides than the actual deeds he performs. A shining beacon of light, life and hope in the darkness--an E.B. White/Arthurian approach. Realistically, that's all the GLC CAN be -- no way 3,600, 7,200, or 1.2 million sentients could police the cosmos.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#506500 09/17/07 12:37 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
That's exactly what I mean DC (and what I thought Drake meant)! It also gives a wider backdrop for motivations for GLs to have on missions (though of course, seeing them do things with less action repeatedly could get boring, but it provides great set-up and stronger characterization IMO).

#506501 09/17/07 12:52 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Thinking of them as a police force/army also invites questions about the legitimacy of their actions. Police enforce law, but whose laws? It makes the Guardians seem as though they've just set themselves up as the de facto government of the universe, who just send their soldiers/police around to enforce their will. Seeing their mission as an essentially moral one, with them serving as "beacons" for all species, alleviates some of that concern (while still leaving room for the occasional conflict regarding the legitimacy of the ideals they represent).

#506502 09/18/07 11:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm somewhat with you there Drake. Rather than cops and soldiers, I'd see them more as 'Knights', in that they stand for something more than maintaing order and battling bad guys. Something else else more akin to solving problems and mediating non-violent disputes, things like that. Actually, its hard to put into words what I mean.
Cobalt when you talk about Knights your talking about Arthurian knights of legend aren’t you? I mean you do know just what Knighthood and its associated Barony’s mean for the poor downtrodden and repressed Saxons when it was introduced into England in 1066 and all that? wink

Faithfull
#506503 09/18/07 11:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Of course! laugh

And of course, knights on mainland Middle Age Europe (especially northeastern Europe) don't have exactly the best reputation either...

#506504 09/18/07 09:19 PM
Active
Active
I think this notion of heroic example vs. enforcer in the employ of the (little blue) man is precisely the dynamic those stories with Ollie were considering 35 years ago. For that matter, the whole question of Sinestro imposing his wil on the populace because he could is really just the other side of that coin.'

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#506505 09/19/07 09:40 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I've been wondering - why haven't we seen the 2814 precint house? would there even be anyone on it right now? I think Johns took the cop analogy too far with the precint houses since there are only two Lanterns per sector - what could they possibly need all that space for?

#506506 10/15/07 01:44 AM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Okay. Okay. With #24 out this week, can I just say?

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">THANK GOD FINALLY KYLE IS FREE OF PARALLAX.</span></span>

There are a lot of things about the Sinestro Corps war that I'm still on the fence about, especially the "new law". But, honestly, I am enjoying the ride. Especially in regards to Gauneth and Sayd (or whatever the little blue peoples names are). They're the breakout stars, IMHO.

And the scene with Parallax and Hal's family-- golden. I guess I never really appreciated the fact that Hal has an interesting backstory. He wasn't my GL and I wasn't interested. But the family stuff that Johns has brought in has really made me sympathize with him. So yay for that too!

#506507 10/15/07 09:06 PM
I read # 24 almost a week ago, and I still can't quite put my finger on why I didn't enjoy it as much as previous chapters. I'm hoping that next month will give us a rousing resolution, and then I can go back and read the whole epic at once and see how it holds up overall.

#506508 10/15/07 11:35 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Y'know, I'm not sure what I think about #24 as compared to the other chapters of the story. On the one hand, I got a resolution I like and there was character development with Hal that made me actually care about him. But, on the other, it felt kind of... convenient in a lot of ways. Especially the part with the blue men showing up with their lanterns, Guy finding the package on the porch and what happened with Parallax. Oh, and John saying, "All I need is to stay black"?? I don't get that.

#506509 10/15/07 11:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I agree that # 24 seemed to run out of steam or something. I think I need to read this story arc all over again once it's done. It will flow much better.

Caliente, I agree about the John Stewart comment and the convenience. And I can never tell if Johns loves or hates Kyle.

#506510 10/16/07 09:01 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
John gonna be keepin it REEYULL, fo' shizzle. laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#506511 11/06/07 10:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I caught up on the latest issues of GL Corps (awesome) and the latest GL, and I agree that it was still pretty good, but felt like it ran out of steam a little.

I guess the biggest thing with me is that we now have Superboy/man Prime and the Anti-Monitor in addition to the entire Sinestro Corps, so I keep feeling that things should be so much larger than they are. After all, the A-M should be able to battle the entire Corps and the entire DCU at once and almost win. But we still have time so maybe we'll see that. But honestly, shouldn't A-M be able to eat Darkseid, Monarch, all the Monitors, and hell, all the Marvel Universe and DC Universe alive at the same time? I wonder if we'll get a resolution with him in this or if his story continues on in Final Crisis.

The Superman-Prime issue was a good rematch against the entire DCU, but it basically was one large slugfest. My one complaint was that it was a 'dog-pile on the rabbit' approach, when really the DC super-heroes are much smarter than that and should have had some strategy.

#506512 11/06/07 11:24 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
My one complaint was that it was a 'dog-pile on the rabbit' approach, when really the DC super-heroes are much smarter than that and should have had some strategy.
Yeah, I hate that crap. I remember when writers bothered to try writing clever ways to defeat an opponent.

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,830
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star