Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: GREEN LANTERN
#506688 01/04/11 07:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, you may have 4 books for it to be featured in...depending on when they launch Red Lanterns.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/114/1142421p1.html

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#506689 01/05/11 03:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So... no one had anything to say about the Larfleeze Christmas Special?

I loved it. My brother and I actually made the cookies with the recipe, I made a big deal about it, but...

I haven't really eaten them. Truth is, I'm not sure we made them right. They have kind of a bitter aftertaste, and the white chocolate I bought for them didn't exactly taste amazing. Always doing that, making a big deal about some weird food stuff, tasting it, hating it, then letting it rot.

#506690 01/05/11 03:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^Haven't read it yet and probably won't get to it for at least a coupla weeks. Will review when I get to it.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#506691 01/07/11 10:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Green Lantern Corps continues to get better and better as the Weaponer storyline moves forward. The Weaponer is yet another new, and awesome, addition to the GL mythos, who provides an excellent threat and new storyline, while enhancing the larger mythos (both how Sinestro got his yellow ring and the history of the anti-matter universe).

This story has done several things really well, which showcases how good GLC still is:

- heavy focus on Kyle and Soranik that shows them work together well and while both are vulnerable in spots, they come through when it counts.

- the other GLs are all showcased even though they aren't the main stars.

- the larger subplots are touched on, including the white light (from Brightest Day) and the pact between Guy, Ganthet and Atrocitus which will be leading to the next big GL crossover. The latter one is one I care much more about and I thought the recent hints in GLC were very intriguing.

- The overall backdrop of Qward, their history and their problems is equally as fascinating as everything else. It's refreshing to see Qward so fleshed out rather than just briefly touched on.

Bedard is really reminding me why I loved him on Negation and this is his best DC effort so far. The art by Tyler Kirkham is something I'm also enjoying tremendously; his style certainly fits the 90's X-Men comparison I mentioned a few posts back, but in all the good ways IMO; it's exciting and action-driven, and keeps the spirit GLC comic consistent with how it's been since #1-- a space adventure series with as much if not more action as mystery. The splash page of the Weaponer in his work place with Soranik waking up was fantastic!

The Weaponer is a terrific new nemesis for the GLs. His motivations are complex, his character is different from everything else we're seeing in other Green Lantern titles and his origins are deeply steeped in GL mythology--all great things.

#506692 01/07/11 10:28 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
So... no one had anything to say about the Larfleeze Christmas Special?
I missed it; my CBS must have sold out of them by the time I got there and I totally forgot. Too bad, that looked interesting.

#506693 01/07/11 09:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just read/reread through Emerald Warriors 1 - 4. I like this book.

Guy is a jerk, but he's our jerk. Killowog is great no matter what, and I am soo happy that they did decide to bring him back a few years ago. Ari has come a long way since her introduction hasn't she. Nice to see her sharing the spotlight here.

Sodam is, like he is with Cobie, boring me at this point. Both here and in the future. I really hope they turn the character around at some point in at least on f these books (Legion being the other). So far I so do not like having him forced down my throat twice a month.

The only complaint I have with this book, is the same one that I have with most other books on the market right now...they are really being written for trades. Other than that aspect...really enjoying this series so far.

And cobie almost has me wanting to pick up Corps again.

#506694 01/08/11 03:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just read the last 8 issues, ending with 60, of Green Lantern, Again the trade writing continues...but that does not diminish the quality of these stories.

Great stuff with all the characters involved in the main plot. Hal, Carol, Attr, Dex (we need more of him), and Lar all are given a chance to shine.

Kinda meh about the big bad in this arc though for some reason...not sure why though.

#506695 01/13/11 08:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It is a great story, no doubt.

but I'm missing a lot of what makes Hal Hal. There is nothing lately on his personal life, how he gets to take off seemingly weeks at a time from the air force, who he's seeing right now, Cowgirl or Carol.

He needs to reconnect with earth a little.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#506696 01/14/11 01:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^I agree Rick; that's the one major flaw in GL right now and each issue that goes by it's becoming more and more pronounced.

Needs to be addressed ASAP.

#506697 01/14/11 07:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hey, lets bomb the board *with posts, not..you know, actual bombs* and really get the idea out there that it needs to be addressed. It's been hit on a time or two but... maybe the return of the letters page?

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#506698 01/16/11 10:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Green Lantern # 60 continues the seemingly never-ending "New Guardians" arc and finally reveals the identity of the little bandaged person who's been stealing all of the entities that personify all the different ring colors.

The bulk of the issue is a prolonged fight scene between Hal and Parallax again (*yawn*). I'll admit that the cliffhanger last issue with Parallax possessing Barry Allen had me intrigued, but the payoff here was pretty underwhelming. It makes me think that Parallax's time as an interesting and threatening villain has probably passed. Parallax uses Barry's memories to try to rattle Hal and gain access to Hal thru fear, but it's clear to everyone that Hal's been there and done that and acknowledges his fear so it can't be exploited anymore. I thought Geoff made that pretty clear when Hall allowed himself to be possessed to battle the Spectre during Blackest Night, but I guess Geoff thought it needed hammered home some more. If so, this issue didn't come across as compelling as Geoff hoped, IMO.

So at the end the little bandaged entity thief comes into play, and we finally learn who he is. I'll admit I hadn't guessed that particular individual. I suppose it was inevitable Geoff would bring him back. Heck, I thought I'd see him in the Blackest Night melee at some point. (I also could've sworn he was taller?!?!) I wlways thought this character had some untapped potential and is a logical character to be involved in the ongoing War of Light. Let's hope Geoff makes him more compelling than what he did with Nekron.

Another saving grace this issue is the art of Doug Mahnke. Mahnke is absolutely on the top of his game in this book and may even turn out to be an even better fit than Ivan Reis was. If he's doing the art, he can elevate even Geoff's more mediocre scripts (like this one).

Anyhow, I'll be glad to see this bloated arc be concluded. Hopefully, "War of the Green Lanterns" will be more interesting and better done. I'd say this books cousins, Emerald Warriors and GLC, have been the better reads the past few months.

Lardy's rating of Green Lantern #60: 2.5 Donuts (out of five)!

#506699 01/23/11 12:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
GLC 56: That concluding image of John Stewart leading a contingent of Weaponers (Weaponeers?) of Quard makes me really curious about the next issue. Otherwise, I'm not really enjoying Sinestro and a bunch of sickos with no history. I like Kyle and Soranik and even Sinestro, occasionally, but as the lead of a title? Not so much. Once the upcoming 'war' (Lanterns are at war-- there's an Aquawarr... what the heck's the deal with that second 'r'... coming... I guess Peace of the Arrow wouldn't be such a hot title, huh?) is over, I wonder what this title will be like?

#506700 01/27/11 11:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Review of Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #5

As I mentioned in my above review of GL #60, I feel the two spin-offs have been hitting the mark better and more consistently than the core book of late. Emerald Warriors #5 is a good example.

For one thing, I feel Warriors and GLC have done a better job of telling interesting stories between events than GL has, even as both also help build to the next event. Here, the quest of Guy, Kilowog, Arisia and Bleez has been a little mysterious but the journey has definitely been worthwhile. Tomasi wites all these characters very well and gives them all memorable moments.

I've noticed of late that random, nameless GL's have been quite expendable from Sinestro War on. Here, a group of these are forced by the arc's bad guy to take their own lives. It could've been gratuitous, but unlike other recent GL bloodshed, there's a big emotional reaction from our heroes and especially from Kilowog. And there's a sense of anger and outrage from this that Tomasi gets across really well as a motivator for our heroes. If this type of thing happens in a story, then this is a good example of how to handle it. If it happens, give it purpose and meaning. Again, I feel Tomasi handled that well.

The issue ends with giving us more insight into what Guy's mission is and has been since this series launched. It's been kept deliberately under wraps, but with the clues we've been given, it's all starting to come together. It's an grotesque choice to reveal in a mosaic of puked-up blood, but it's strangely kind of pretty and shows off artists Fernando Pasarin's and Cam Smith's (as well as that of the colorists) talents in an unusual manner.

Emerald Warriors has been a good book so far and contends with GLC as the best of the three GL books lately. Tomasi is proving that Guy Gardner can be the star in what is essentially his book. Terrific art and effective storytelling make it a book I look forward to reading every month!

Lardy's Rating for Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #5: 3.5 Donuts (out of five)!

#506701 03/11/11 09:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Does anyone else feel like this title (the main GL one I'm talking about - I don't read the other two) has gone off the rails a bit?

I just looked back through this thread and the last time I posted my thoughts on an issue was for #58, which I loved. But that was also the last issue of this book that I enjoyed and we're now 5 issues later at #63.

I'm just so over all these new Lantern corps and their entities and the Guardians acting douchey, and constant, effortless teleporting from one planet to another so that we can never relax into a setting, and the never-ending sense that there is some huge cosmic war just on the horizon... and so on.

When was the last time we just got a good old-fashioned adventure tale of Hal Jordan tangling with one of his villains at Ferris Air or something? I want to see Hal Jordan back in more down-to-earth stories. Preferably ones that keep the Guardians and all the other Corps and the whole GLC mythos out of the picture for a while.

Unfortunatley who knows when we might get those sorts of stories again because next we have coming up this whole 'War of the Lanterns' storyline which I'm completely uninterested in and won't be getting 2/3 of the parts for either.

But beyond my tiring of the plots and characters that Johns is focusing on in this title at the moment, I also think his writing skills here have begun to suffer a bit too. There were some completely groan-worthy bits of dialogue and plotting in these latest two issues that I don't feel the Geoff Johns of old would have delivered us. These issues felt like first drafts of comics that normally would have had at least a quarter-dozen rewrites before hitting the shelves earlier. I think he's over-stretched himself and it's starting to show.

I don't want him off this book though. I just want it back to being as good as it used to be.

#506702 03/11/11 07:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but with the title I might as well try. And this is mostly for research, don't get me wrong Sinestro is high on my list of favorite villains.

What do you think makes Sinestro a compelling villain?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#506703 03/11/11 07:24 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Alls I know is Sinestro is a lot of fun if you imagine him speaking with a cheesy fake Italian accent! wink

#506704 03/11/11 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
Does anyone else feel like this title (the main GL one I'm talking about - I don't read the other two) has gone off the rails a bit?

I just looked back through this thread and the last time I posted my thoughts on an issue was for #58, which I loved. But that was also the last issue of this book that I enjoyed and we're now 5 issues later at #63.

I'm just so over all these new Lantern corps and their entities and the Guardians acting douchey, and constant, effortless teleporting from one planet to another so that we can never relax into a setting, and the never-ending sense that there is some huge cosmic war just on the horizon... and so on.

When was the last time we just got a good old-fashioned adventure tale of Hal Jordan tangling with one of his villains at Ferris Air or something? I want to see Hal Jordan back in more down-to-earth stories. Preferably ones that keep the Guardians and all the other Corps and the whole GLC mythos out of the picture for a while.

Unfortunatley who knows when we might get those sorts of stories again because next we have coming up this whole 'War of the Lanterns' storyline which I'm completely uninterested in and won't be getting 2/3 of the parts for either.

But beyond my tiring of the plots and characters that Johns is focusing on in this title at the moment, I also think his writing skills here have begun to suffer a bit too. There were some completely groan-worthy bits of dialogue and plotting in these latest two issues that I don't feel the Geoff Johns of old would have delivered us. These issues felt like first drafts of comics that normally would have had at least a quarter-dozen rewrites before hitting the shelves earlier. I think he's over-stretched himself and it's starting to show.

I don't want him off this book though. I just want it back to being as good as it used to be.
I have to catch up readin gthe GL And GL:EK books, but am thinking of dropping them after the big arc that's coming up. Just not that excited about them. Plus I want some room on my pull list for some new stuff...or trades.

#506705 03/11/11 10:06 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Johns is definitely not writing GL as well as he used to. The two companion books, GLC and EK, have been superior to the core book pretty much ever since Blackest Night, I'd say. Simply put, Hal is a guest star in his own book now, and that is unacceptable. I'd compare the GLverse's current evolution and bloating to what has become of the X-Verse in the last coupla decades. Guess what? I don't buy a single X-book!

GLC & EK are doing well for me because despite the tie-ins to the bigger picture, they are keeping their core cast in focus and telling fairly tight stories in the process. The core book is doind NEITHER!

I need "War of the GLs" to work as a story for me to continue buying all the books for the foreseeable future, especially considering there's a Red Lanterns book on the horizon. If "War" doesn't deliver and we just keep playing tag from event to event, I can't guarantee that I'll keep picking up Geoff's book out of loyalty. Right now, the other two look fairly secure. But if they start losing their identities, they could be compromised as well.

The only promising thing about the crossover is that it's at least pretty insular within the GL books instead of pulling another Blackest Night bloat-a-thon. The fact that it only involves books I'm already getting is a positive. Whatever the outcome of "War of the GLs", Geoff needs to focus his book on Hal Jordan again. I don't buy the book expecting to read Atrocitus, et al guest-starring Hal Jordan, 'kay?

#506706 03/11/11 10:09 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Agree on GL; my last few reviews mentioned how I felt the title has lost it's way. Hal hasn't been out of costume in like a year--which is a sign of mismanagement IMO.

#506707 03/12/11 05:28 PM
Eager Young Space Cadet
Eager Young Space Cadet
I got burned out on GL during Blackest Night. The idea of the emotional spectrum is intriguing, but I felt the introduction of the other Corps happened too fast just for the sake of BN. Now instead of being unique, the GLC are just the middle of the road in the spectrum.

And I'm sick of Larfleeze. Talk about overshadowing Hal.

"I have a ticket to the moon....but I'd rather see the sunrise...in your eyes"
#506708 04/13/11 10:19 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
"War of the Green Lanterns" continues to make me see a huge similarity between the modern day GL comics to the 90's X-titles, with all the good and also much of the bad. Overall, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, especially the big sense of excitement just exploding off the pages with each issue.

I'm also really enjoying the revelations and further development of the GL mythos, such as Krona revealed as the culprit behind the Manhunters great extermination of Atrocitus' race.

While all of the criticisms other posters and myself have leveled at the GL series still apply, it isn't stopping me from enjoying this GL crossover which is thankfully contained to just the GL comics. I do hope that after the crossover, our concerns will be addressed but I don't mind enjoying this crossover for what it is now.

For some reason, it really reminds me of X-stinction Agenda, with the dramatic battle scenes, in-fighting between teammates and heightened sense of immediate danger. The artwork on all of the titles also furthers that. And IMO, that's actually a good thing!

#506709 04/14/11 06:57 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Exo-Lardy:
Whatever the outcome of "War of the GLs", Geoff needs to focus his book on Hal Jordan again. I don't buy the book expecting to read Atrocitus, et al guest-starring Hal Jordan, 'kay?
I second that. The book started to feel like "Sinestro, guest starring Hal Jordan" for awhile and now the rest of the rainbow brigade has taken over. I ultimately like what Johns has been doing with the GL mythos, (aside from his unoriginal take on the Guardians) but it needs to be grounded by making it as much about Hal and him as a person as it is about the cosmic stuff.

So far with the GL War, it's unfortunately more of the same for me, where the "Big Cosmic Stuff" is interesting, but the personal stuff, even though they're focusing onthe Earth GL's has been a letdown. So far we've seen more parallax-induced in-fighting rather than a genuine dispute between the characters. I know it's still meant to show how the characters are different, and along those lines the John/Kyle issue was more effective because it seemed like a fresh take. The Hal/Guy fight didn't bring anything new to their dynamic that hasn't been covered ad nauseum years ago. Hopefully we'll get deeper as the story progresses.

#506710 08/03/11 12:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, "War" kind of dragged on for a few months and IMO fizzled a bit in the end. Two big deaths, though the Krona one wasn't all that surprising--the Guardians reaction to it (while obviously setting up a new storyline) is kind of a 'WFT?' since the other major death (and the person who pulled the trigger) was a much bigger event IMO.

Hal, Guy and John all shined in this story but Kyle kind of was 'blah'.

I didn't hate the storyline but it certainly was 3 issues too long. However, it really looked great. The artists on all three titles brought their A-game.

Above I compared it to 'X-Tinction Agenda' in the 90's; I take that back, since X-A was a much better crossover. This was more like the Muir Island Saga or Fatal Attractions. It was a big crossover for the sake of being a big crossover. Yet, it was grandiose and full of action with most characters having a chance to shine, and in that, it maintains a bit of a 'teenage charm'.

#506711 09/03/11 12:59 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Last night I read two pre-relaunch GL title issues, the penultimate issue of each: GL Corps #62 and Emerald Warriors # 12.

The good is that both were standalones after an endless string of "bigger picture" or outright crossovers. The bad is that both were kind of *meh* at best.

GLC had kind of a goofy plot device of Star Sapphire Miri trying to fix Kyle and soranik's strained relationship by getting the two lovebirds to fight her. In the end the ploy backfires, and it looks like the two are permanently in Splitsville after Kyle reveals an earlier encounter with the Sapphire power didn't reveal Sora as his true love when it had shown Kyle as hers.

It appears the purpose of this story was to clear the decks for Kyle romantically in the relaunch. This really kind of hurt the story for me as I really like him and Sora as a couple. The goofy way it was done didn't exactly help it.

Liked seeing our pal Tomar-Tu along for the ride, though.

Emerald warriors featured guy and some redshirt GLs up against a creepy monster that feeds off of GL ring energy by eating GLs and keeping them alive just enough that the rings will stay on them and continue to produce energy it can feed off while they're in its belly.

The book acts as kind of a "Jaws" homage with an overt line or two referencing the film directly. It was a decent standalone, but the main thing I didn't like was continuing trend in the GL books' to introduce interesting new GLs and then promptly kill them. Guy takes four Lanterns with him, and only one of the four survives. I hope at the very least that the surviving GL shows up again, but I'm concerned that either he won't or that he will, just to be killed off.

When the GL books relaunch, I'm likely to give them a try-out, but the endless cycle of crossovers/building to the next crossover has to be reversed. These standalones were a step in the right direction but still suffered from mediocre execution. We'll see if the new GL titles bring their A-game because they'll have to do to earn my hard-earns!

#506712 09/17/11 03:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Green Lantern #1 kicks off exactly where things ended pre-DCnU as if this was barely a #1 but that didn't bother me too much. I'd much rather see a new messed up status quo than have to be reintroduced to Hal as the GLC all over again. I was a fan of the prior series by Johns and Mahnke with some criticism, and I remain a fan here.

One of the major complaints I had--that Hal was in the GL guise for like 12 issues strait without any 'Hal as Hal' time is addressed directly, as it appears to be a major story point. Hal's half of the issue is mostly just he and Carol but I thought it was well done. Johns has put him in a tough spot but with the excuse that he got there because of his GL duties, so doesnt come off as a huge loser.

The other half with Sinestro as GL is where the awesomeness really is. The issue just revels in the kewl-ness of it and it's fun to read. Over these last few years, Sinestro has emerges as DC's Magneto in terms of being the most interesting major villain and I'm anxious to see where it leads.

The issue was beautifully drawn and over all well done. I'm not sure how great it would be for a new reader and if it had enough 'wow factor' to get on people's must read lists though.

Cobie Comparison: did I like it more than JL #1? Yes.

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,830
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star