Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/31/24 08:03 AM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 05/31/24 05:46 AM
Pattern Recognition
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 05:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 04:57 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: *tee hee!* FUNNIEST Super-Hero Comics!
#507935 05/12/04 05:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
The only current funny superhero title I can think of offhand is the new ALPHA FLIGHT series.
But is it supposed to be funny, Lash? I haven't picked it up so I wouldn't know.

#507936 05/12/04 05:16 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I enjoyed issues 1 & 2 well enough.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#507937 04/02/06 03:59 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
It was most definitely supposed to be funny; alas, it lasted only 12 issues and nowadays I read somewhere here that the Alphans are all being massacred or something. *weary sigh*

Dan Slott has singlehandedly re-invigorated my interest in the Marvel Universe with his excellent SHE-HULK, THE THING and GLA/GLX stuff. Intelligently written as well as hilarious!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#507938 01/06/07 07:26 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Going through Giffen/Maguire withdrawal, I recently reread their DEFENDERS, FKATJL, and am currently rereading "I Can't Believe...JL". HilARious!

After this, I'm planning to reread the entire Giffen 80s run on Justice League.

#507939 01/12/10 04:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A January Review of Sergio Aragones Destroys DC (June 1996) written by Mark Evanier, art by Sergio Aragones

ust the thing for the post-holiday, Legionless blues.

Sergio Aragones, best known for his Mad Magazine margin cartoons and the Groo series, takes a light-hearted look at some DC superheroes - and himself.

In the story, Sergio wants to hit the big time in comics, and that means drawing superheroes. So he starts on a story and gets his pal Mark to script it. Rebuffed by the receptionist at DC Comics, he pursues his dream nevertheless, declaring "I prove that I am George Perez, rolled into one".

His stories within this story are framed by Hawkman predicting doom for the superheroes and various characters trying to figure out which Crisis of Infinite Proportions they're in now.

Aragones then takes on four books. In Superman, he retells the origin story, with a bumbling Jor-el and a dog-harassing Kal-el. He pokes fun at the "cool modern look" of Superman mid-90s, with emphasis on his continually torn costume.

In Batman, Bruce Wayne's origin takes a temporary wrong turn when he sees a Hare Krishna monk outside his window, but he soon gets rerouted to the bat theme. Aragones focuses here on the rebranding as "THE Batman" (which everyone ignores) and the crazy violent Batman which emerged at this time.

In his Wonder Woman, men are clamoring for her to tie them up and hit them. She returns to Paradise Island (where gay men are allowed), only to find the Supreme Court has declared the exclusion of males unconstitutional.

His final skewering is The Legion, with the classic tryouts - and a long series of rejections. When aliens invade and demand to speak with the Legion leader, a big fight ensues among the legionnaires, with each one claiming to be the Leader.

Return to the Hawkman/Crisis story, with Johnny DC as the Doombringer and more barbs at how unheroic heroes have become.

In the end, Sergio gets his comic published by DC due to a clerical error.

There are plenty of gentle laughs in this story; the artwork itself makes you smile - but the funniest thing about the book is how relevant it still is 14 years later.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#507940 01/12/10 11:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Brian Michael Bendis's "Avengers" has illicited several chuckles from me - mostly from his handling of Spider-Man. The scene where the "New" Avengers react to Norman Osborn's "Avengers" on TV had several lol moments for me.

#507941 06/09/10 07:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Current funniest and fun superhero comic? Atomic Robo!

Here's my latest review:

Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Pov & others--dude, post some thoughts on the FCBD issue and the latest mini!

Vol. 4 #3 features "Why Dr. Dinosaur hates Atomic Robo" and is one of the grooviest stories I've read in awhile. Dr. Dinosaur might just be my new favorite comic book villain! Absolutely hilarious and I immediately want an ongoing bi-weekly Dr. Dinosaur series focusing on every aspect of his daily routine. He should be totally battling the Heckler and Ambush Bug!

What's great about Atomic Robo is every issue stands alone as well as being part of a larger miniseries. So you don't need to pick up #1, you can just pick up any issue off the stands.
To reiterate: any issue is a jumping on point and stands on its own (even mid-mini). I recommend anyone who likes funny comics get the latest issue #3 (of V.4) and you'll end up like me, considering Dr. Dinosaur the greatest comic book character since the Heckler.

#507942 06/09/10 07:48 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
:...since the Heckler" Oh dear... strong words from Cobie.

Fine. I will take your dare.

#507943 06/09/10 08:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think any issue of Atomic Robo will hold up, but if you can, get this one specifically. Dr. Dinosaur and Atomic Robo's exchange reminded me of the Heckler and his villains. HILARIOUS.

#507944 06/09/10 09:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
INCREDIBLE HERCULES had some good laughs... at least till Herc "died" (I'm pretty sure he'll be back...)

Particularly the issue(s) where Herc hooked up with Namora and later where he and Thor exchanged costumes and names.

#507945 06/10/10 04:58 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
THIS IS WHAT I WANT. More funny comics. I love a big ol' batch of silliness, fun, adventure and whatnots! it balances out the beheadings and bloody zombies and stuff.

Cobie, I am going to snag that issue if its there. Todd, I will check on some HERCULES trades. This may be a good library search.

#507946 06/10/10 05:56 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Heralds is hilarious. but you knew that already.

also, authority: the lost year is in the middle of a two issue funny by giffen and dematties ala JLI.

#507947 06/10/10 07:19 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lash, I totally thought you were already buying Incredible Hercules! You *MUST* check it out as it is by far the most fun / funny comic book Marvel has released since...well, since probably Not Brand Echh in 1968!

It's not all slapstick comedy--there is grandiose sense of adventure at times with tragedy, tension and other great bits, but the humor is ever-present. They capture the 'buddy' feel that Giff's JLI had.

The Herc/Thor exchange Todd mentions above was brilliant. Especially how Herc solved that entire problem.

I would say Atomic Robo is funnier (so you have to grab it), but Herc has charaters you're familiar with and is a close second. You should grab 'em both.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,825
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star