Roll Call
0 members (), 59 Murran Spies, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/03/24 05:20 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/03/24 02:29 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:58 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:53 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:50 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/02/24 07:35 PM
What I found today at my LCS!
by thoth lad - 06/02/24 03:22 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/02/24 02:37 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 77 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 76 77
Re: American Idol
#520041 04/06/05 04:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
What the AI MB fans are screaming....

Big favorite of the night... CONSTANTINE by miles. ANWAR got several mentions. NADIA got many nods.

Bo-bashers are taking Simon's comments and running with them in an attempt to throw mud on the deelish long-locked Alabamaian. This would really irritate me, except that I think Bo is suffering from "backlashitis" like Carrie. He was praised so heavily before that those that dislike him are taking advantage of his current sistuation. Carrie-bashers do the same thing. I guess it's all part of the fun!

Top 4 mentions for Bottom 3:

1. Anthony 2. Scott 3. Anwar 4. Nikko

With a dead heat between Anthony and Scott for who is likliest to go home.

Bev, I somewhat agree with your statement. I think the performances paring down the 24 to the 12 were FAR BETTER than the performances of the Top 12, with a few exceptions.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#520042 04/06/05 07:39 AM
Active
Active
Paula Abdul is a total mess. I was getting offended last night that someone as obiviously drugged up as she was is allowed to be on TV.

Scott and Anthony were heinous last night. They were both painful, really.

Nikko still does nothing for me. Meh.

Anwar recovered nicely from his last few weeks of being lousy. He was actually good for the WHOLE song, not just the "glory notes".

I love Bo, but I was underwhelmed last night.I agree with Semi--Bo should have done "Easy to Be Hard" from Hair. It was just okay.

Carrie sang well and I give her props for going outside her 'comfort zone', even though I wasn't crazy about it...I think she is smart to "mix it up" and show her versatility.

Vonzell was good, even though I've never liked "People" very much. She looked GORGEOUS, though.

Nadia and Constantine need to stop trying to be 'rockers' and just be what they REALLY are--a young Shirley Bassey and a Performing Arts Major, respectively. They aren't my favorites, but I think they did well last night. Contstantine reminded me of Jeff Buckley. I don't think Connie was too happy with Seacrest for calling him out on his camera schmoozing.

I found it interesting that Simon backed away from his usual praise of Bo and Carrie. But, he does that every year---praises one or two contestants every week, gets flak about it, then bashes them for a couple of weeks. He did the same thing to Fantasia last year. He knows EXACTLY what he's doing.

#520043 04/07/05 12:42 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, Nikko's out. No big surprise. Also no surprise that Scott was second to last. Man, he had a rough week of fame! It was a surprise for Vonzell to be third from last, especially since it seemed like Anthony bombed. I guess he has a lot of fans, or fans with quick phone dialers!

Fantasia was just great! I like the way she did little changes in "I Believe" so you could really feel like she was live live live. She's such a funny person, too. "ACT UGLY!" Hee! I'm SO using that! She brought down the house.

There's a REAL problem at the aiByRequest yahoo group concerning racist comments back and forth. The moderators have had to step in and ...moderate...people. It's so weird. It seems like AI forums go through that a lot. There are some wacky people posting at AI forums. That's why I like it here at our cozy, safe Legion World Anywhere Machine!

#520044 04/07/05 03:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, those other forums can really act... ummm, ugly sometimes.

I was a little surprised Scott didn't get the boot but his time is coming and soon. VERY surprised to see Vonzell in bottom 3, but all the girls seem to suffer from lack of support this year except for Homecoming Stepford Lass. Nikko's exit was no huge surprise but I would have liked to see the "Comeback Kid" last another week.

Anthony and Anwar may very well be picking up votes from the fans of the departed Jessica, explaining their safe status this week.

I was very pleased my 3 favorites were all safe.

As for Fantasia... well, there's no denying her stage presence but I really didn't care for that performance at ALL. For me, it was borderline ridiculous and may have actually crossed the line into ridiculousness with all that acting up. I found myself thinking that I much preferred the talent this year. I would take Nadia over Fantasia any day.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#520045 04/07/05 06:02 AM
Active
Active
Those jeans made Fantasia's ass look ENORMOUS.

'nuff said. tongue

#520046 04/07/05 06:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm so glad I decided to skip the first 10 minutes of last night's show.

#520047 04/07/05 10:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey guys, I had to go out to dinner last night and missed the show. I checked here at 6:45 (PDT) for spoilers - but there were none. I had to sit and worry all through dinner. Please don't do that to me again.

Actually though, the seared sea scallops, the bacon wrapped monk fish, and the Lavendar infused creme brule made up for it. wink

#520048 04/07/05 12:56 PM
Active
Active
I broke down and started listening to some mp3's of this season. She may be robotic on stage, but Carrie has the best RECORDING voice. Her voice ON RECORD is amazing.
Scott actually sounds pretty good on some songs when you don't have to look at him.
Without her visual star power, Nadia sounds very week on recordings. Same for Constantine.

#520049 04/07/05 07:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
Hey guys, I had to go out to dinner last night and missed the show. I checked here at 6:45 (PDT) for spoilers - but there were none. I had to sit and worry all through dinner. Please don't do that to me again.
heh! I figured I'd give a rest to jumping on in with my rantings 2 seconds after the show ended. It won't happen again! laugh

#520050 04/07/05 07:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah Lash. What's the big idea with not keeping us updated? wink

I'm a sucker for some spoilers and love logging in to see your reaction since you get the show an hour or two earlier than we do.

#520051 04/07/05 08:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Duly noted! My 2-seconds-after-show-ends rantings shall resume and continue! laugh

#520052 04/08/05 10:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Two seconds! Can't you do it faster than that? laugh

#520053 04/08/05 12:46 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yeah, Fantasia was "acting ugly" but I liked it!

I'm still and AI mp3 addict. Now I'm finding myself liking songs that were done on AI, then I go to iTunes and do a search to see who else did the songs before. Like, "You'll Never Walk Alone" has been done by mega stars like Streisand, Elvis, Judy Garland, Olivia, Perry Como, Pat Boone, etc etc. I had NO idea.

Anthony did a pretty song in the Hollywood rounds called "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" which was done by Julio Inglesias and Dolly Parton. I had NO idea.

Music. Makes the people come together. Yeah.

#520054 04/08/05 03:22 PM
Active
Active
Hey Sketch--do you know where I can find mp3's from Season One? Specifically, Kelly Clarkson's performances. Man, I still remember when she sang that song, "I Surrender". She had a cold and they were saying she might have trouble with it, but she was still amazing. I had no idea what that song was...turns out it's a Celine Dion song. Guess that's why I had *no* clue!

#520055 04/12/05 05:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just bumping this up so Lash'll have no trouble finding it for his review tonight.

#520056 04/12/05 06:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
POPPING freaking PLANETS. Maybe the best AI I've seen ever. Absolute top-notch song choice and so many hella-kewl performances I had a difficult time deciding on my favorite. Theme was SONGS FROM THE YEAR YOU WERE BORN.

I'll run down, starting from the rest and ending with the best (and even the "rest" were WAY above average)....

8. SCOTT, "She's Gone". He did the chorus proud, but he took an axe to the verses. In a week as tight as this, it might cost him hard. Hall & Oates sure seemed impressed though!

7. VONZELL, "Let's Hear it For the Boy". A little Queer as Folk-5-Years-Agoish and she strained on a couple of the lower notes, but otherwise peppy and fun.

6. CARRIE, "Love is A Battlefield". A bit too screechy for my taste, but I *really* liked carrie's image-change.

5. ANWAR, "I'll never Love This Way Again". A sweet song I've always loved performed sweetly by a sweet man. It was sweet!

4. NADIA, "When I Dream". Disclaimer: I was a huge Crystal Gayle fan as a kid and still owm her Greatest hits vinyl lp. Crystal's slow lullabye is a classic but I LOVED Nadia's sexy, bluesy, soulful take on this song and absolutely LOATHE Simon's comments toward her tonight. Nadia ALWAYS picks the most awesome songs, and interprets them in an entertaining fashion. She sounded very Mary J. Blije-esque.

3. BO, "Freebird". Sweet Home Alabama! Bo was right in his element tonight. Maybe a smidge TOO in his element. I *almost* switched his and Nadia's places...

2. CONSTANTINE, "Bohemian Rhapsody". Oh dear. Connie's done shushed ALL the naysayers tonight. I'll go ahead and predict: Constantine's gonna take the WHOLE enchilada this year.

1. ANTHONY, "Every Time You Go Away". Yes, that's Anthony in the # 1 spot, folks. He was spot-on faboo tonight, and I was so proud for and of him. Superb job.

I was really blown away by the whole night tonight.

Tomorrow night is going to be a TRAGIC letdown for whomever is sent home after tonight's great show!

#520057 04/12/05 08:11 PM
Active
Active
I thought CONSTANTINE was the best tonight. I never thought I'd say that!

I gotta give CARRIE props for 1)trying to "rock out" and 2) lookin' HOT! Wasn't crazy about her song though. 1983? She should have done "Solitaire" by Laura Branigan!!!

I had the feeling BO has performed "Free Bird" many times before.

Hmmm, RYAN was digging ANWAR'S pecs, wasn't he??

I'm definitely not an ANTHONY fan, but that was his best performance, in my opinion.

No one was out and out awful this week, so it's hard to predict a bottom 3, but I think it'll be Scott, Nadia, and either Anwar or Vonzell(which would be a shame, she was fun)--with Nadia going home. NADIA sounded just fine, I guess, but not only was that song kinda dreary, she had the dreaded #1 spot...people will forget to vote for her.

I only had 15 minutes to vote after I watched it, and dialed Carrie's line dozens of times and only got through once.

#520058 04/12/05 08:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Upon reflection, I decided to switch Bo & Nadia's places in my rank, putting Nadia into the # 3 slot. I managed to clock in about 8 to 10 votes for her between a couple of busy signals.

#520059 04/13/05 06:04 AM
Active
Active
Saw onlp pieces of this as I kept running in and out of the room. The thing that struck me was how god awful some of the arrangements were. Vonzell's tune was stuck in mid-tempo, it never had the pep that the song requires, so as a result though she sang well, it just lagged. Same with Anwar, the arrangement just sat there. Didn't see Nadia at all but saw her 10 second recap and was alarmed by her hair, oy! Scott was all over the place, the chorus of the song was absolutely perfect for his voice, but as Randy commented, the low notes were dreadful. Missed Connie, loved Carrie, yes a bit screechy but she looked amazing, was surprised at how mediocre the judges were towards her. Bo was great, as would be expected given the song and his style of singing. Anthony finally came into his own.

I'm hoping it's Scott this week, his arrogant comments towards the end left me cold.

#520060 04/13/05 06:13 AM
Leader
Leader
BWB, not having seen this weeks yet I can't really comment on the band ths time round, but last week I thought on a few songs they were *appaling*. I think it was with Constantine (almost being drowned out) and I think possibly Vonzell where the band just seemed to be playing completely random notes that had no bearing at all on the actual tune.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#520061 04/13/05 06:22 AM
Active
Active
I'll be interested to hear yout take on it Bevis, I too thought Connie was in trouble last week when the band was drowning him out early in the performance.

Some of the arrangements were too "Lawrence Welkish" for my tastes... almost like a carry over from last week. I'm curious as to how much of this is the singer trying to "make it their own", and how much of it is their having to sing it in a particular way because of the arrangement, and whether that arrangement is forced on them or not.

#520062 04/13/05 10:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I only saw Nadia last night. Once again I loved her. The judges comments seemed way off-base to me. So what if they didn't know the song? They're always asking people to be original. Then when someone is, they get down on them. I think the judges' comments really influence the voting. For some reason, they have decided that they don't want Nadia to win. (Am I being paranoid).

Anyway, after Nadia's song, I had to put the puppy to bed, and I noticed a swollen puss-filled bump on his abdomen and had to rush him to the emergency vet. He's ok, but I missed the rest of American Idol.

#520063 04/13/05 07:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That fucking sucks. They saved the thuggish pig who can't sing, and sent my favorite home. I'm not watching this piece of shit anymore.

#520064 04/13/05 09:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Semi, they've (the judges AND the fans) had it in for Nadia ever since her shout out to Mario Vasquez, and since realizing that this is one babe who'd rather sing an obscure ditty than a number one hit. Yes, the one-time "steak among hamburgers" quickly became dog chow amidst caviar.

And the judges are full of bullshit when they say, "be original, take a risk" because the moment someone does just that, they're told they need to go home. Me, I'll be watching and waiting on ANY news re: Nadia Turner. And if you thought I loved her version of "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" before, well... she freaking BLEW ME AWAY with it tonight. MAD STUPID AWESOME. I adore her.

My Mother was in tears and I was in a state of shock. But we aren't worried. Girlfriend's a STAR, baby-- TRUST.

I'm going to continue watching but my excitement is severly lessened.

I'm just praying ANYONE-- even "Slappy"-- beats out Simon's precious little Carrie for the title.

#520065 04/13/05 09:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And on the AI board, Scott is being referred to as "the turd that refuses to be flushed" and Nadia fans are screaming bloody murder, while the Bice Squad is rallying to save their # 1 guy.

*sigh* I think I need a wee li'l break from all this. I may very well be all drama-ed out. I shudder to imagine how much MORE difficult this year would be had Mario stayed in the competition.

Page 21 of 77 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 76 77

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,861
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Jesse Jackson
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
XRay Russ
XRay Russ
Planet Dracksler
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star