Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/07/24 08:00 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/07/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 06/07/24 07:53 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 06/07/24 07:52 PM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by stile86 - 06/07/24 07:48 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/07/24 06:17 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 78 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 77 78
Re: City of Heroes: Your Chance to be a Legionnaire - Part 2
#522952 11/28/04 05:50 PM
Active
Active
Sorry to hear about the connection troubles Scott, Caroline. That's got to be so infuriating.

I've been grinding XP with Captain Hottie on Pinnacle off and on this weekend. Feel free to send me a tell if anyone goes on Pinnacle.

#522953 11/28/04 06:00 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Caroline's problem stemmed from whatever caused them to take their servers offline (without an announcement). She's back up and running around with her new military group.

My last try logging in lasted exactly 25 minutes and I've sent off yet another e-mail to support. They finally admitted in their last one that there is a possibility that their patch may be causing the issue but they don't know what to do about it. They also don't seem to understand why I can play for hours on the test server but only minuts on the live server.

#522954 11/28/04 09:52 PM
Active
Active
Man, I wish I could give you some advice about your crashing problems, Scott. My game still does it on occassion, but it's been getting better. Have you tried reinstalling the whole game? I know it's not exactly something anyone would want to do, but at least please consider it before walking away from the game!

#522955 11/28/04 09:58 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
Man, I wish I could give you some advice about your crashing problems, Scott. My game still does it on occassion, but it's been getting better. Have you tried reinstalling the whole game? I know it's not exactly something anyone would want to do, but at least please consider it before walking away from the game!
That actually appears to be their final solution. I just now received another e-mail from them and this was their last recommendation before walking away from the problem. Guess I need to figure out which CD is mine and which is Caroline's.

#522956 11/29/04 06:11 AM
Deputy
Deputy
At least the nice thing about it is that you
don't lose your characters because they're on
the server instead of your hard drive.

#522957 11/30/04 04:28 PM
Deputy
Deputy
This board has been unusually quiet...

#522958 11/30/04 05:12 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well I'm still working through my issues and today is the last day of my six month membership. Its not looking too hopeful for me to continue playing.

#522959 11/30/04 05:27 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Ouch.

That's too bad buddy ... 8-(

#522960 11/30/04 07:07 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Still no answer from them. But I did manage to change my registry settings where I think that some part of CoH still was. I also updated my BIOS with a recent update from HP. This time the CoH install took a lot longer and none of my default settings were in place (like remembering my login ID) so I think I've finally got a clean install. One word of warning. If you ever have to uninstall the game DO NOT use the uninstall function from the CoH folder itself. Use Window's uninstall feature instead. If you just run the uninstall from CoH it just uninstalls the uninstall. Real stupid.

Anyway, I played for just about 30 minutes with Edgar and it seemed okay. Just didn't want to dedicate too much time to really test. But I did pick up the Jewel of Hera mission. Is that the one with the Spelunker badge higher levels pay to participate with?

#522961 11/30/04 07:21 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, Scott I think that's the Spelunker mish, or at least a badge mish of some sort.

Hope this means that your problem is resolved. Wish they could figure out what caused it because if they don't it's may just be a matter of time before we all "catch" it!

On the bright side, Condo & Grev were on Virtue tonight and we teamed up with a great group of about 5-6 other people. We had blast doing a few door missions (our first Banished Pantheon experience, & first Family experience) and hunted a bunch of Warriors in Talos and Tsoo in Talos & IP.

Condo started out the night soloing to get rid of the 7800 debt he had earned recently. Even after dying once outside a door mish in an ambush, he ended the night having leveled to 23 and down to 800 debt! Grev also leveled to 22 so it was a very successful evening for both of us and a great deal of fun too.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#522962 11/30/04 07:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
So is anyone playing now?

#522963 11/30/04 07:31 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Vee:
Hope this means that your problem is resolved. Wish they could figure out what caused it because if they don't it's may just be a matter of time before we all "catch" it!
From what I gathered in my nearing 20 e-mails with tech support this game was never meant to be played on a laptop. It is a power hog and a laptop's basic settings don't mesh well. Supposedly there is a chance (they didn't mention how high of one) of the game burning out a laptop's video card. Real nice to advertise that upfront isn't it? Since I use my laptop basically as a desktop I've had to set all my settings to make the laptop think it is a desktop. And I've taken out my battery (did that ages ago) to stop more heat from building up. I may pick up a stand to place it on that will give it more ventilation than just having it sit on a desk.

#522964 11/30/04 07:34 PM
Deputy
Deputy
My friend from Indiana has a really cool docking
port for his laptop. It puts it an an angle so the
vents are in mid-air. It's an HP too.

#522965 11/30/04 07:40 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
My friend from Indiana has a really cool docking
port for his laptop. It puts it an an angle so the
vents are in mid-air. It's an HP too.
That's the one I'm thinking of. Its made specially for the laptop Pavilions. It is supposed to make them more of a desktop machine. The trick is just finding one at a decent price. Maybe it'll be my Christmas present.

#522966 11/30/04 09:19 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Called in sick this morning, and I spent
most of the day on the couch, so I didn't
get much of a chance to play tonight. I did
manage to run Blue Battlette for a little bit
and took down an equal level Lead Scorcher all
by my lonesome. 8-)

Interesting fact, though. He had just unleeashed
some fire imps on me, but that was right when I
killed him, and they went down at the same time.
Makes me wonder what happens with a fire
controllers' imps ...

#522967 11/30/04 11:39 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well after the full clean out and new BIOS I think the problem may have been solved. Still have yet to hear back from tech support but I was able to play the last 3 1/2 hours with only a momentary mapserver disconnect. I was able to get Edgar Allan Poe up to an 11. First character of mine to have Hasten six slotted.

#522968 12/01/04 03:46 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Awesome to hear that Scott!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#522969 12/01/04 06:38 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I don't know if I'll have time to play until this weekend (more 12 hour days the rest of the week). I'm hoping its really over. I also need to check my account to see if they auto renewed it for another six months.

#522970 12/01/04 03:41 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well that's that. I left work early today because I wasn't feeling well. I decided to see if CoH was going to work still for me. I try logging in and nothing, stuck on the connecting (CoH Updater) screen. Quit try again. Same thing. Quit try again. Same. Reboot my PC and after a 20 second or so wait the updater finally kicks in and downloads a new patch. You never would guess what happened next. One hour into playing and hey, what's this? My PC shuts down? That's never happened before after a patch.

I've had it. I don't know what the hell they were trying to 'fix' this time but I'm not wasting my time having to update my BIOS, clear out my registry, uninstall then reinstall the program everytime I want to play. Two hours work to get a couple of hours playing time is not worth it. I've sent another update to TS but I highly suspect their next answer is, get a desktop computer.

Thomas, if you haven't bought yourself the new laptop for your birthday yet, don't bother. At least not if you want to play CoH. The one we were talking about is in the same model line as mine and you are bound to, at least eventually, have the same issues.

#522971 12/01/04 03:44 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Oh, and I had to log back in as quick as I could after being booted off since it left EAP stranded in the middle of Steel. He's just an 11, barely, and was surrounded by a bunch of 12th level Leads (went there for a new contact). Luckily he wasn't dead in the street when I logged back in but I had just enough time to reach AP and was selling my enhancements when it happened again. Exactly two minutes after logging in.

Comcast is giving a free 15 day trial of Asheron's Call 2. I think I'll try it out.

#522972 12/01/04 04:00 PM
Active
Active
Argh, just as I was going to post congratulations, Scott. Sorry to hear CoH is still troubling you.

After this morning's patch, I had the same problem I had before, where logging in freezes my machine. I tried doing a reinstall of CoH and that got it to work. I'm hoping I only have to do that once.

#522973 12/01/04 05:18 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Well that's that. I left work early today because I wasn't feeling well. I decided to see if CoH was going to work still for me. I try logging in and nothing, stuck on the connecting (CoH Updater) screen. Quit try again. Same thing. Quit try again. Same. Reboot my PC and after a 20 second or so wait the updater finally kicks in and downloads a new patch. You never would guess what happened next. One hour into playing and hey, what's this? My PC shuts down? That's never happened before after a patch.

I've had it. I don't know what the hell they were trying to 'fix' this time but I'm not wasting my time having to update my BIOS, clear out my registry, uninstall then reinstall the program everytime I want to play. Two hours work to get a couple of hours playing time is not worth it. I've sent another update to TS but I highly suspect their next answer is, get a desktop computer.

Thomas, if you haven't bought yourself the new laptop for your birthday yet, don't bother. At least not if you want to play CoH. The one we were talking about is in the same model line as mine and you are bound to, at least eventually, have the same issues.
When I got home from work today, I tried to log
on as well, and at first it had the same problem
with not connecting that you're talking about,
so I went ahead and rebooted and that got me
into the game.

I'm working on Bluette because I'd like to get her
up to 20 by this weekend. That's when I get her a
cloaking device, a new costume, and a cape if I
want to get her one. I'm about halfway to 18
now.

laugh

Scott, I guess I'll hold off on the new laptop
as the stories you've told me about possibly
burning out a video card don't induce me to want
one for COH all that bad.

Oh, I checked on the patch the first thing after
it got loaded. it was a gimp, of course: it had
something to do with duping influence ...

#522974 12/01/04 05:20 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Oh, and I had to log back in as quick as I could after being booted off since it left EAP stranded in the middle of Steel. He's just an 11, barely, and was surrounded by a bunch of 12th level Leads (went there for a new contact). Luckily he wasn't dead in the street when I logged back in but I had just enough time to reach AP and was selling my enhancements when it happened again. Exactly two minutes after logging in.

Comcast is giving a free 15 day trial of Asheron's Call 2. I think I'll try it out.
My friend back home has an XBox and we played
some Halo 2. That's kind of tempting me ... and
it's not really that expensive a process. The
XBox is 150, the game is 50, a subscription to
Xbox live for a year is 50, and then whatever
the wireless networking gear costs ... definitely
cheaper than a new laptop!
laugh

#522975 12/01/04 05:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by LyleLyle:
Argh, just as I was going to post congratulations, Scott. Sorry to hear CoH is still troubling you.

After this morning's patch, I had the same problem I had before, where logging in freezes my machine. I tried doing a reinstall of CoH and that got it to work. I'm hoping I only have to do that once.
The weird thing for me is that I'd swear that my
connection has actually been a little better
lately ... thoguh I'm tempted right now to take
my PC off the router and hook it up directly to
the modem to see if that fixes the problem once
and for all. If it does, then I'd know the problem
was in my router ...

#522976 12/01/04 05:33 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Hey, guys, I've got a question about
reinstalling COH. I've not had to do it
yet, but if I should have to at some
point in the future, do you need that
serial code that comes with the game?

The reason I'm asking is that I downloaded
the game from Cryptic's website directly so
I didn't HAVE any packaging, and I'm wondering
what I would need to do if I should ever have
to reinstall the game....

Page 14 of 78 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 77 78

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,965
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
The Crusader
The Crusader
LMBP Outpost
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star