Roll Call
0 members (), 60 Murran Spies, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:07 PM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I quit smoking!
#559309 03/07/10 09:48 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by dedman:
My only hope for smoking now is that i manage to quit before I have children, evne though I don't smoke in the house, I don't want them to have a negative influence like that.
While I've met plenty of people who smoke because their parents did, some kids go the other way. My parents smoked, and it's the main reason I never got into it. I could tell just from growing up around smokers how it was wrecking them (not physically, but emotionally). Something else else about feeling helpless and dependent seemed to crush them a little bit, and make it harder for them to love themselves (or each other, for that matter) and made it hard for me to respect them, since they were so obviously trapped and feeling awful about it. I had asthma and bronchitis as a kid, and I know they blamed themselves for that.

The usual excuses would come out. "It calms me down!" "No mom, it makes you a raving b*tch. You get shaky, forgetful, snappish, angry and frustrated at everything, make all sorts of bad choices and clumsy mistakes in your fidgety state, and then get angry and frustrated at yourself, and think that just one more cigarette will somehow 'calm you down,' when it's the stimulants in the cigarettes that are making you jittery and distracted in the first place."

Thankfully, my mom has quit, but only after burying her husband (who died of the complications following surgery for lung cancer).

In the average year, 100,000 people die directly from alcohol, and another 100,000 die in alcohol-related automobile accidents or murders. 200-1000 die from cocaine (widely different numbers, depending on where you look). ~400 die from heroin. 0 (zero) deaths are attributed to marijuana.

340,000-395,000 die from tobacco.

All the luck in the world to anyone who wants to quit, and congratulations to anyone who has!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#559310 03/08/10 11:22 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Never starting smoking is easily the ONE CHANGE I would make in my past were I goven the chance to go back and change 1 and only 1 thing.
Yep, I'd have to say I'd do the same, never start

#559311 03/08/10 08:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm on my seventh week of Chantix and feeling hopeful.

Over the years I have unsuccessfully tried all of the following methods of quitting:

cold turkey
hypnosis
nicotine weaning
nicotine patches
acupuncture
nicotine gum
Wellbutrin
nicotine lozenges

I was not feeling real good about my first few weeks on Chantix. I've had friends tell me that they quickly lost the urge to smoke with with this pill. For me, the urge was still there. I cut back a bit but was back up to my normal intake by the third week. I read on the instructions that some people have success in their ninth to 12th weeks so I kept on taking it. Then BOOM, the urge started to decrease early in the sixth week. I'm down to a quarter of what I typically smoke, and find it difficult to get through a whole cigarette without getting a funny feeling in my stomach. This might work. Stay tuned.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#559312 12/27/10 09:18 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I'm sorry, but after reading this thread, I'm never quitting smoking!!
So tragic.

#559313 12/27/10 09:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
<-------- Lighting one now

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#559314 12/27/10 09:46 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Good luck, Jerry.

<----Never smoked. Never will.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Exnihil #768267 04/16/13 11:59 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Exnihil
...the next time I give it a go...

And - four years after writing that - that time has come.

It's been about nine days now since I started on the smoking cessation drug, Chantix, and - after seven days of an almost exponential drop in my desire - I'm now into day two of being completely smoke free!

I know that doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment, but - trust me - anyone here who has spent any amount of time with me in real life can attest to the fact that there is rarely an open-air moment when I can be found without a cigarette in my mouth.

In any case, for a variety of reasons, I finally feel like the time is right to give this another try and - thus far - I'm really feeling like this is going to be the time that sticks.

Originally Posted by Jerry

This might work. Stay tuned.

So, Jerry, since you are the only other person I know that went this particular route, how did it wind up working for you?

Exnihil #768271 04/16/13 12:06 PM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
...the next time I give it a go...

And - four years after writing that - that time has come.

It's been about nine days now since I started on the smoking cessation drug, Chantix, and - after seven days of an almost exponential drop in my desire - I'm now into day two of being completely smoke free!

I know that doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment, but - trust me - anyone here who has spent any amount of time with me in real life can attest to the fact that there is rarely an open-air moment when I can be found without a cigarette in my mouth.

In any case, for a variety of reasons, I finally feel like the time is right to give this another try and - thus far - I'm really feeling like this is going to be the time that sticks.

This might work. Stay tuned.

So, Jerry, since you are the only other person I know that went this particular route, how did it wind up working for you?

WOOOOOOOO!!! Go you! My parents both used Chantix (after smoking for over 25 years) and BOTH are smoke free. They say you have odd dreams, but otherwise it's okay. You can do it! Buy yourself something NICE with all the money you're going to be saving!

*cheer*

Yk #768273 04/16/13 12:39 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Way to go Ex.
The second last time I tried to quit I used a similar drug, Champix.
It was pretty effective, but then I was hit with the more severe side-effects and had to stop taking it.

The last time I tried I was just cutting back and was down to 3 or 4 a day but then I started this co-ordinator position at work and am back to a pack a day again.
Figure when this shut-down is over and I go back to my regular job I'll try again.

Yk #768277 04/16/13 01:28 PM
Good going, Ex--and it *is* a huge accomplishment,

Yk #768288 04/16/13 05:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
EX !!!! HANG IN THERE!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

I quit smoking (yes it can be done!) .... almost three years ago. I moved and used the new scene to quit cold turkey. (except for two cigarettes in the first months.)

its been three years. I still have nightmares that i am smoking, or rarely cravings ... which is creepy because it must be the chemical addiction.

Last edited by Power Boy; 04/16/13 05:29 PM.
He Who Wanders #768289 04/16/13 05:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Good luck, Jerry.

<----Never smoked. Never will.

don't start.

Yk #768296 04/16/13 06:18 PM
strange but not a stranger
Good Luck Exnihil! I know you can do it! Holt

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Yk #768302 04/16/13 06:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I did quit after making that post in 2010 -- for about six months. The Chantix really did work while I was on it, but the desire creeped back after I stopped taking it.

I am now taking the Chantix again, and haven't had a cigarette in three months. My doctor says the protocol for the Chantix has changed since my last attempt. It is now recommended that you take it for a full six months. So, I've got the full six month scrip and I'm pretty sure that it is permanent quit this time.

Yk #768305 04/16/13 06:59 PM
Have either of you tried electronic cigarettes? One of my FB friends has posted and YouTubed about them.

Jerry #768311 04/16/13 07:33 PM
I did quit after making that post in 2010 -- for about six months. The Chantix really did work while I was on it, but the desire creeped back after I stopped taking it.

I am now taking the Chantix again, and haven't had a cigarette in three months. My doctor says the protocol for the Chantix has changed since my last attempt. It is now recommended that you take it for a full six months. So, I've got the full six month scrip and I'm pretty sure that it is permanent quit this time.

You can do it, Jerry!

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Yk #768365 04/17/13 08:03 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks everyone for the support, it really does mean a lot.

Right now I'm still thinking in terms of hours (73 smoke-free!) but I'm really looking forward to the point where it becomes less of a novelty and more just a normal thing to not be smoking.

No, Huey, I've never tried those electronic cigarettes... I kind of feel like the whole "physical motion" aspect of smoking is a really important thing to break and any sort of substitute like that (or other things that sites suggest like a cinnamon stick or a toothpick) are still reinforcing that "hand to mouth" motion. I don't know... maybe that's just me... but I wouldn't think that would work for me.

I did start running again yesterday. I did a two mile course just to see what kind of shape I was in. I had to walk a couple times, but overall I did feel great afterward, so I think that exercise is going to be key.

And huge congrats to Jerry, as well. Three months is fantastic. We can totally be "quit buddies," he said, nerding it up.

Peebs needs bust out the sketch book and do a Spider-Man homage where Jerry and I are walking away from our cigarettes in a garbage can, "Smokers... No More!" wink

Exnihil #768369 04/17/13 09:09 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Peebs needs bust out the sketch book and do a Spider-Man homage where Jerry and I are walking away from our cigarettes in a garbage can, "Smokers... No More!" wink

Ooh, that's a fun idea, re-doing old classic covers with various PSAs.

Superman showing Green Arrow a collection of ashtrays and empty smoke cartoons, while Ollie gasps, 'My ward is a smoker!' for instance.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Yk #768419 04/17/13 09:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Jerry and Ex, I'm hoping for great success for you! nod

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Yk #768484 04/18/13 07:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I started back. Stress.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Yk #768506 04/18/13 08:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks, guys. This is the real thing this time. I've quit for good. I feel it in my bones.

No thanks on the electronic cigarette, HWW. There was a woman on an episode of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills a couple of seasons ago who smoked one at a dinner party. She was psychic and friend of Camille Grammer (Frasier's ex-wife). Very irritating person. She was even more irritating when she sucked on that electronic cig. Fingers on a chalk board level irritating. I could never smoke one without thinking of her.

Yk #768509 04/18/13 09:09 PM
^ laugh

Well, for anyone who's interested, here's a link to my FB friend's channel in which he reviews different brands of electronic cigarettes. It might be of help to some.

Yk #768514 04/18/13 09:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!

She got plastered at dinner and then got in a fight with the other girls!!!

Yk #768521 04/19/13 02:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't watch RH but I heard the real Allison DuBois, whose life because the series Medium, was on it. Also heard she wasn't nearly as nice as the fictional Allison.

And Ex, I very much appreciate your quitting in time for Legion World Gathering, whether or not that was coincidence. smile

Yk #768524 04/19/13 05:55 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That was her. She got drunk, used her psychic powers to tell one of the housewives that her husband didn't really love her, sucked on that electronic cigarette, and then the cat fight started.

Last edited by Jerry; 04/19/13 06:03 AM.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,843
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Kid Beetle, Star Boy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star