Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 32 Murran Spies, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: LegionWorld College Game Week 2009
#561651 10/23/09 10:10 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I laid an egg last week! Let's see if I can rally....

<strike>South Florida</strike> @ Pitt (20)
It'll be just my luck that I finally start showin' Pitt some respect, and suddenly they say "Gotcha!" and blow chunks when I pick 'em! Prove me wrong, Pitt!

<strike>Connecticut</strike> @ West Virginia (23)
UConn let me down a coupla weeks ago. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe they'll take WVU down.

Oklahoma @ <strike>Kansas (25)</strike>
Torn on this one. The Sooners have lost Bradford for the year, but it's hard to see them losing a fourth game already. I think they're just tougher than the Jayhawks.

Texas (3) @ <strike>Missouri</strike>
Texas just seems to get it done this year, even if only by the skin of their teeth.

Clemson @ <strike>Miami (10)</strike>
Damn you, Vee! laugh When one of your football buddies plays ya, you just can't back down, so there was only one choice here. If the Clemson team that massacred Wake Forest last week shows up, it could be a tropical depression for the Canes!

<strike>Penn State (13)</strike> @ Michigan
I think Joe-Pa's team is soft and overrated. The Wolverines will have him seriously contemplating retirement.

<strike>Tennessee</strike> @ Alabama (2)
The Vols won't fare as well as the Gamecocks did last week.

<strike>Boston College</strike> @ Notre Dame
BC is looking better as the season progresses, but Clausen is to ND what Matt Ryan was to BC, it appears increasiningly.

<strike>Auburn</strike> @ LSU (9)
Auburn appears to be fading away. Don't think they'll get a second wind in hostile Baton Rouge.

TCU (8) @ <strike>BYU (16)</strike>
TCU's a big tough team that should wear down the early season faves that got schooled by FSU.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#561652 10/24/09 06:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<span style="font-size: 99px;">WHOOOOO!!!!!</span>

#561653 10/24/09 07:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Clemson beat Miami!? And Carolina is lossing right now to the Vols...again!

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#561654 10/24/09 08:04 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Clemson beat Miami!? And Carolina is lossing right now to the Vols...again!
It's the Commodores, rick, and it looks like the Cocks might pull it out after all. 'Course a LOT can happen in five minutes...:shiver:

#561655 10/24/09 08:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
And...congrats to Rick and the Gamecocks--ya got that king-sized monkey off yer backs! So BOTH major(?) SC teams squeak by with important wins!

#561656 10/24/09 09:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You are right, Lardi. I mistyped. And Man am I glad to see that. Next up, Kifin's sorry butt if I am remembering the schedule correctly.

I'm glad to see that I got the clemson miami one wrong. Clemson needs this as much as Carolina needs its wins.

I was genuinely worried that the commodores were going to be to us what spurrier is to kentucky. Don't know about clemson, but our schedule gets murderous after this.

Something pithy!
#561657 10/24/09 11:21 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Clemson's remaining schedule
Coastal Carolina
Florida State
@ NC State
@ Virginia

South Carolina's remaining schedule
@ Tennessee
@ Arkansas
Florida

Then, of course, the two meet for the regular season finale. Clemson's road to that meeting definitely looks more manageable, but SC could do well if they play up to the potential they've shown. Anything would be better than one of those 0-fer late season swoons they tend to fall into.

No matter what happens, I know where my TV will be tuned on November 28th!

#561658 10/25/09 05:22 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow, what a heartbreaking loss for us. Congrats Lardy, the Tigers really played a great game.

With the exception of the results, this was actually one of the most enjoyable games I've ever attended. Back and forth, back and forth. I think I heard someone say that there were nine or ten lead changes in the game! And even though it was a high scoring game, it was actually a titanic defensive battle. Both defenses played their hearts out and had some terrific series but you just can't keep players like Spiller, Ford (Clemson) Cooper, James, or Berry (Miami) contained all game. They all had some terrific runs.

In the end we made more mistakes than the Tigers and they made us pay for them. I'll chalk this loss up to our youth and inexperience, particularly on the part of our QB, Jacory Harris

That doesn't take anything away from Clemson. I was very impressed with your team. It's a shame that they haven't been able to play consistently at that level this year. From the looks of your remaining schedule, however, I would think you should be able to secure the divisional title and make it to the Conference Championship game.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#561659 10/25/09 01:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Vee:
From the looks of your remaining schedule, however, I would think you should be able to secure the divisional title and make it to the Conference Championship game.
Vee, as a Clemson fan who's thought we should have been in the ACC championship game the last several years, I'm not taking that as ANYTHING like a foregone conclusion! I'm gonna take it a game at a time and hope Clemson can keep playing at this level. The win against BC could be HUGE if it comes to it.

Some game, huh? As I watched, I thought of you being there often and wondered what you must have been going thru in such a rollercoaster ride. Most of the crowd shots showed a very concerned and exhausted looking crowd. Momentum just shifted from play to play. I mean, one moment, Harris throws an interception run back for a touchdown; the next play from scrimmage, he throws a bomb for a score! That kinda thing happened all game long!

If there was a more exciting game yesterday, I didn't see it! Here's hoping for a rematch in December! nod

#561660 10/25/09 04:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. South Florida @ Pitt (20) Pitt, SF isn't what people think yet. Update---Pitt for the win
2. Connecticut @ West Virginia (23) I think UConn is gonna be up for the game...but I'm going with WV. Update WV for the win
3. Oklahoma @ Kansas (25) Gimme the Okla's. Update...Okla for the win
4. Texas (3) @ Missouri Texas Pete all the way. Texas won from what I can find.
5. Clemson @ Miami (10) Miami, Clemson has little sting, enough for some smaller programs, but Miami's better. Update...Clemson for the win.
6. Penn State (13) @ Michigan These two hate each other...gimme Penn. Update Penn for the win.
7. Tennessee @ Alabama (2) Alabama over Lainy Kazan. Update...Alabama for the win.
8. Boston College @ Notre Dame I'll take Notre Dame Update..Notre Dame for the win.
9. Auburn @ LSU (9) LSU for the win. Update...LSU for the win.
10.TCU (8) @ BYU (16) TCU is the better team as far as I am concerned. Update...TCU for the win.

By my count, and please correct me if I'm wrong...9 outta 10 for me.

Clemson shocked everyone. Way to go Tigers.

Something pithy!
#561661 10/26/09 11:42 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the results from last week. Grats to Lardy and Rick for an almost sweep of the picks!

Week 8 results:
rickshaw1 - 90%
Lard Lad - 90%
Vee - 60%
Cobie - 60%

After eight weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 69% (48/70)
Lardy 69% (48/70)
rickshaw1 70% (28/40)
Vee 61% (49/80)

Looks like I have some serious catching up to do! laugh

#561662 10/26/09 11:52 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here's this weeks BCS rankings:

Bowl Champ. Series

* 1.Florida
* 2. Alabama
* 3. Texas
* 4. Iowa
* 5. USC
* 6. TCU
* 7. Boise St.
* 8. Cincinnati
* 9. LSU
* 10. Oregon
* 11. Georgia Tech
* 12. Penn St.
* 13. Virginia Tech
* 14. Oklahoma St.
* 15. Pittsburgh
* 16. Utah
* 17. Ohio St.
* 18. Houston
* 19. Miami (FL)
* 20. Arizona
* 21. West Virginia
* 22. South Carolina
* 23. Notre Dame
* 24. California
* 25. Mississippi

#561663 10/26/09 12:03 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the ten games for this week. Please note, this week there is a Thursday night game and a Friday night game so be sure to get your picks in before the start of the NC v. VaTech game on Thursday!

Week 9
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech - THURSDAY
West Virginia @ South Florida - FRIDAY
Rutgers @ Connecticut
Mississippi @ Auburn
Miami @ Wake Forest
Georgia @ Florida
Penn State @ Northwestern
South Carolina @ Tennessee
USC @ Oregon
Texas @ Oklahoma State

#561664 10/26/09 01:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks, Vee, but I would have to handicap myself on the list. You guys have had many more picks than me. The averages are one thing, but I did come in late and that probably gives me a better feel for the teams than from starting at the beginning of the season.

Something pithy!
#561665 10/26/09 02:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My picks:

Week 9
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech - THURSDAY I'll take VT
West Virginia @ South Florida - FRIDAY Gimme WV
Rutgers @ Connecticut Gimme Uconn
Mississippi @ Auburn Gimme Miss.
Miami @ Wake Forest Gimme Miami
Georgia @ Florida Gimme Florida
Penn State @ Northwestern Gimme Penn State
South Carolina @ Tennessee Woof...ya don't make it easy, do ya. Going with SC to win. Kifin has won against lesser teams, but only one win that looks good. SC has scrapped some out. They are about equal. Giving it to Spurrier, but only just.
USC @ Oregon Gimme USC
Texas @ Oklahoma State Goin' with Texas

Something pithy!
#561666 10/28/09 04:45 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech - THURSDAY ~ This was supposed to be the year that Butch Davis finally saw the results of his recruiting efforts, bringing UNC to a new level. That has yet to be seen. The Hokies should take this game easily.

West Virginia @ South Florida - FRIDAY ~ I think West Virginia is too strong this year to be stopped although USF could surprise. I'll take WVU.

Rutgers @ Connecticut ~ The Huskies showed alot of character last week and should be able to pull out a win against a Scarlett Knights' team that still hasn't lived up to its potential. Huskies for the win.

Mississippi @ Auburn ~ The game is at Auburn, a tough place to win but the Rebels have demonstrated that they are among the best in the SEC. I'll take Ole Miss.

Miami @ Wake Forest ~ What's going on with Wake Forest? They started out strong but lost to Army last week. Miami will be primed after their OT loss last week to Clemson and should take it out on WF. Go 'Canes!

Georgia @ Florida ~ Would someone please beat Florida already so we can stop hearing about their greatness all the time? Unfortunately, I don't think Georgia will be the ones to do so. Gators may struggle mightily as they have all year but will win.

Penn State @ Northwestern ~ Northwestern is no longer the door mat of the Big 10 and could conceivably pull off an upset but I think the Nitany Lions will prevail.

South Carolina @ Tennessee ~ I wish this game was in Columbia so I could feel more secure in my pick. Spurrier can out coach Kiffen any day of the week. I think the Gamecocks pull this one out on the road.

USC @ Oregon ~ USC has had their early season loss and the Ducks don't seem to be as good this year as they have been the past few. Although the game is at Oregon I'll take USC.

Texas @ Oklahoma State ~ This could be a tough game. The Cowboys are not slouches and have a great deal of fire power but Texas is on a dual mission, winning a national title and a Heisman for McCoy. I think the Longhorns take this one and continue their march to the title game.

#561667 10/28/09 06:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Virginia Tech

West Virginia

Uconn

Ole Miss - glad to see Ole Miss doing well this year, I've always rooted for them in the past, ever since I almost had the chance to go to a Ole Miss/Miss State game but ultimately couldn't go.

Miami - I agree something seems wrong with Wake lately while the Hurricanes losses were for the most part games they should be proud of.

Florida - no love for Georgia in the Gator's hometown.

Penn State

South Carolina - why not? I'll join in with you guys laugh . Lane Kiffin: am not impressed with him yet.

USC - though if an upset would happen out of these picks, this would be it.

Texas - as much as I think OK State will keep it close, I think ultimately Texas will win. But I do think Texas has a loss on the horizon before the season ends, and the Cowboys are never pushovers. But I'm more confident in Texas.

#561668 10/28/09 11:22 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<strike>North Carolina</strike> @ Virginia Tech
NC's a big disappointment this year.

West Virginia @ <strike>South Florida</strike>
I was on that South Florida bandwagon for awhile, but not so much anymore. Something else else tells me to pick them, but I can't shake off how picking them has burned me in the past. Meanwhile, the Mountaineers came thru for me in a tight one last week. I'll stick with them and see if that faith was earned.

<strike>Rutgers</strike> @ Connecticut
UConn should prevail this time.

Mississippi @ <strike>Auburn</strike>
Neither team's on fire, but Ole Miss has more going for it.

Miami @ <strike>Wake Forest</strike>
Consecutive losses would be devastating to Miami. I don't think Wake has the spark it needs to win.

<strike>Georgia</strike> @ Florida
This has upset potential given Florida's recent close games. But I don't think Georgia's good enough this year.

Penn State @ <strike>Northwestern</strike>
Picking against PSU was my lone mistake last week. I won't repeat it this week.

South Carolina @ <strike>Tennessee</strike>
This would be the most exquisite SC victory of the year to date. Make it happen, Spurrier!

<strike>USC</strike> @ Oregon
Wow! This should be a good game with Oregon's improvement since game 1. I'll go against my usual wisdom and take Oregon for the upset!

Texas @ <strike>Oklahoma State</strike>
Upset bug may bite here, but I'm goin' with my gut and the heart of Colt McCoy.

#561669 10/30/09 10:19 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Cobie, I'll assume you meant to take UConn against Rutgers since you skipped over that game in your picks unless you post otherwise before the start of that game.

I KNOW you wouldn't pick against the Huskies...would you? wink

#561670 10/31/09 12:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Well, looks like we're all 0-2 going into Saturday. frown Who'da thunk? shrug

#561671 11/01/09 07:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There is shame in the halls of Carolina. I thought they would at least make a fight of it. But, the Cocks are getting worse by the week and the Vols are getting better.

They made their brag and backed it up.

*sigh* Cubs fans have nothing on us.

Something pithy!
#561672 11/01/09 08:19 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ouch! This turned out to be the week of upsets. We all started out 0-4 and it didn't get too much better. Here are the results...

Week 9 results:
rickshaw1 - 40%
Lard Lad - 50%
Vee - 40%
Cobie - 40%

After nine weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 65% (52/80)
Lardy 66% (53/80)
rickshaw1 64% (32/50)
Vee 59% (53/90)

Should be some major changes in the polls after this week. It will be interesting to see what happens at the top, if anything. With Virginia Tech's loss, Miami's divisional title hopes got a little bit brighter but Georgia Tech will have to lose another conference game for us to win it I think. They only have Wake Forest & Duke left on their schedule besides the season ender with Georgia, so I'm not holding my breath (but I will be rooting like crazy for Wake next week! laugh )

#561673 11/01/09 10:09 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
well, from what i've seen, Carolina is going for its standard end of season tank job. Very disappointing. We keep hiring guys at the end of their careers that don't have the fire anymore as a coach, or some idiot from a class d program that can't figure out how to recruit or win.

This should cement our status as a perennial also ran.

Something pithy!
#561674 11/01/09 01:26 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hey, I was right about Oregon! YAY!

As for Carolina, don't jump off the wagon yet. Two are winnable, and there's still the chance to dethrone the number one team in the nation at home.

Meanwhile, Clemson needs to beat FSU at Death Valley...

#561675 11/01/09 02:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not off the wagon, Lardi. Been a fan for about 4 decades. Even went there, so its heartfelt disappointment.

Just one year I'd like SC to be the team that everyone dreads coming to town, not the one that gets put down as a W before the game is played.

Something pithy!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,828
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brainiac 5
Brainiac 5
the Detroit multi-lab
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star