Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:30 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:29 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:29 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/23/24 01:11 AM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 11:39 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 11:37 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/22/24 09:43 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 04:44 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legion article in new wizard...the future looks ...very different
#69705 06/30/04 02:42 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
New Wizard has a new preview of the Waid/Kitson Legion series plus a cover? Im a little nervous this time that favorite characters might be gone or changed to we cant tell who's who. Iv'e been reading this book since 1978 and this "reboot" might change everything down to the core!

Some blurbs from the article called Legion Lore

. Mark Waid says "this time next summer Legion of Super Heroes will be DC's number one book"

. Dan Didio "gave Waid a blank slate to build the team and the entire 31st centuryfrom the ground up"

. Waid "you will see VERSIONS of the big Legion guns like Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, et al, but Waid warned "there's no guarantee you'll recognize them" Were messing with character looks, the makeup of the team and the worlds they come from.

. first issues - A first kiss, a first meeting, and a blow out fight between members. The goal is to keep readers on there toes!

Re: Legion article in new wizard...the future looks ...very different
#69706 06/30/04 03:01 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Oy vey. "Blank slate", "messing with the characters". Wake me when this nightmare is over. :rolleyes:

#69707 06/30/04 03:07 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Good golly Miss Molly! Why do they always think they have to completely reinvent the wheel. Just give us some good, well crafted stories, with appealing art and the Legion will do just fine! mad

If you want to change everything why even bother calling it the Legion of Super Heroes. Just create a new team with new names and new origins and call it something else.

LEAVE MY LEGION ALONE! mad

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#69708 06/30/04 03:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
From Wizard #154, August 2004 -

[Linked Image]
<font size="8">LEGION LORE</font s>
<font size="6">Waid, Kitson provide future forecast</font s>

<font size="6">M</font s>ark Waid makes quite a boast about his upcoming stint on DC's new Legion of Super-Heroes series:
"This time next summer, it will be DC's No. 1 book."

Quite a proclamation about a series that normally resides near the 90s in Diamond's Top 100. Even Waid himself admits that, "Legion, for whatever reason, has been synonymous with impenetrable. Our first, last and most important goal is to change that."

To that end, come December with Legion of Super-Heroes #1, DC gives Waid and artist Kitson (Empire) a blank slate to build the team and the entire 31st century from the ground up.

Proclaimed DC's V.P. of Editorial Dan DiDio, "As we continue to reexamine the storylines and direction of our series in current continuity, it only makes sense that we see changes in the DCU of the future as well."

Waid concurred, adding, "This gives us the perfect launching pad for a new take on the future. It's the same thing I do in Fantastic Four-let's pretend we're reinventing it brand new from the ground up to make it accessible, but still keep that sense of history."

To that end, you will see versions of the big Legion guns like Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, et al, but Waid warned, "there's no guarantee you'll recognize them. We're messing with character looks, the makeup of the team and the worlds they come from. There's constant friction between them and the United Planets. They're indie rock, and as soon as they sign to a label, their integrity is gone."

Not only does Waid have some housecleaning to do, he's got to put on an addition as well. "We're bumping up the page count to 30 pages each issue," explained Waid. "That will give us plenty of elbow room to handle the big cast. We can do the big action sequences and still have room for the character-driven stuff. There's no excuse for there not being a major event every issue, be it a first kiss, a first meeting, a blowout fight between member. That's the goal-keep readers on their toes."
ANDY SERWIN
Okay. Now I'm worried. I suggest that Waid stop trying to re-invent the wheel and just tell us some good LEGION stories about the characters that we know and love. If you write it they will come. This kind of crap is just turning me off. I don't think I'll like the new series. frown

#69709 06/30/04 03:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oops! Looks like you guys took the words out of my mouth as I was typing that up.

#69710 06/30/04 03:31 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I dunno. If we're not going to get the original Legion back (and we're not, without *massive* changes in DC's attitude), I'd just as soon see a radically different continuity and version of the team than continue on with the current version, which in so many ways just feels like a hollow shell of the classic Legion.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

#69711 06/30/04 03:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
cool image .... btw !!!!

and the LEGION look sexy !!!!

i for one, can't wait to see what this new series brings to the teams mythos !!!!

i have actually pretty much enjoyed every version of the LEGION over the years, and i have every faith in MARK WAID to return the magic .....

Matthew.

#69712 06/30/04 03:46 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
[Linked Image]

Guessing as much as anything else, but Cos, Imra, Garth and Tinya in the front row?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#69713 06/30/04 03:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
[Linked Image]

Guessing as much as anything else, but Cos, Imra, Garth and Tinya in the front row?
i was thinking along those lines !!! but that pose for "Tinya" looks too powerful, don't you think ???

more like a "supergirl" type character ......

Matthew.

#69714 06/30/04 04:00 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
What's getting me overall about this, is how in every interview, Waid's been selling the relaunch as being a blank sheet of paper, no connection to what's gone before, etc...

...then Barry's come along behind and said, in posts @ Newsarama, posts here, etc; yes it is the same continuity, yes these are the same characters.

Seems odd, almost some sort of disconnect.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#69715 06/30/04 04:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
What's getting me overall about this, is how in every interview, Waid's been selling the relaunch as being a blank sheet of paper, no connection to what's gone before, etc...

...then Barry's come along behind and said, in posts @ Newsarama, posts here, etc; yes it is the same continuity, yes these are the same characters.

confused guess we'll just have to wait an see ......

Matthew.

#69716 06/30/04 04:12 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Varalent:
[quote]If you want to change everything why even bother calling it the Legion of Super Heroes. Just create a new team with new names and new origins and call it something else.

LEAVE MY LEGION ALONE! mad
i agree with Vee, this is just like what Marvel is doing with the Starjammers, they've rectoned the whole thing, no relation to the X-men,no Corsair, no Shi'ar empire, only the name is the same. but i will remain optimistic.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#69717 06/30/04 05:49 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I love it. I'm proud to be a part of it. I can't wait for this.

I'm overly optimistic, and I'd like to predict that the people here who already don't like it will be changing their minds. And I liked the re-boot. That's what got me into the LoSH. I may have to take up customizing again.

By the way, I'm a Cubs fan and always have been... So really, what do I know?

It's next year Baby!

Something Filthy!
#69718 06/30/04 06:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
DC's # 1 title???

QUITE a boast... and not one you see every day.

I'm interested to see if Waid can put into practice what he is preaching.

They couldn't have selected a better teaser image. It's lovely.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#69719 06/30/04 06:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The proof will be in the pudding.

If the stories are good, whether or not it's a reboot won't matter

If they aren't, whether or not it's a reboot won't matter.

Will it sell? I honestly have no idea.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#69720 06/30/04 07:10 PM
Active
Active
My first gut reaction to this was dismay and apprehension at what Waid and Kitson will be bringing. But think about it -

Kinetix = big naked troll doll

Sensor = blotchy snake-girl with purple hair and a bad attitude

Element Lad = crazed murderer with a god-complex

Ferro = wimp

Violet = giant mute

XS = missing in action

Apparition & Ultra Boy = tedious beyond belief

Saturn Girl = shameless hussy

If we made it through all of that and still remain loyal Legion fans, than we can at least give Waid's interpretation a try. If you go into it expecting nothing less than your ideal of the proper way to write the Legion than you will be disappointed. But if I can go in realizing that there will be changes, that the Legion might not be the exact same as I'm used to, but that the underlying concept is still there, then I just might be able to enjoy the series.

I really don't think that the above problems can be fixed in a way that would satisfy longtime readers adn increase sales so that the ongoing Legion would remain viable. Maybe a new take on the Legion is what is needed right now. I'm still confused as to wether it's a reboot or a relaunch, and that still makes me very nervous. But, I am willing to give this a try.

#69721 06/30/04 07:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Sounds like the same old hype machinery to me -- tell the die-hard fans that they're not getting the shaft, that the things we love won't change, but tell the public that it's brand spanking new to draw in possible new readers.

I'm just a tad disappointed that Kitson gave us that oh so political "we're not thinking in terms of a reboot" line - sounds like a reboot to me! At least lay the truth on us if you're gonna say anything at all. He's ready to testify before congress with that line wink .

#69722 06/30/04 08:16 PM
Active
Active
I like the cover - but isn't it vaguely reminiscent of Legion #1's cover - shadowy Legionnaires stepping into the light.
If that is indeed Imra in the middle - it looks like she might be in her Adventure #247 debut outfit.
I'm nervous about the idea of tampering with home worlds and powers and such - but I would be even more nervous if individual personalities are going to be tampered with. It's their personalities that make these characters who they are - beyond their individual powers. Timber Wolf - hothead, Wildfire - wise-cracker, Cosmic Boy - staid and stable, Umbra - arrogant and flinty. If Dreamer is going to be portrayed with Bouncing Boy's persona - it ain't going to work.
Like most, I'm ambivalent about change - part of me finds it exciting, another part doesn't want to let go of established history. Even if that established history includes Snekkie and Zombie Zoe.
However, I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing Luornu's powers beefed up a bit so that she can receive some of the respect that other more powerful characters have always enjoyed in the past.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#69723 06/30/04 08:44 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Hey you guys, now don't go getting all pessimistic about all this. How do you know that Mark won't bring Jeckie back as a human and Tyroc as the leader of the Legion of Super Heroes. You don't know untill it happens and if he can grab new readers attention like he did over at Marvel's Fantastic Four (to the point of making the title so popular they have 3 titles per month) then I'm all eyes for this.

I would say that Imra is definitely on the cover shot there and who know's maybe she's the one with the short bob!! laugh Mark DID mention that there were BIG changes coming in the way of looks as well as origin, so hold tight and watch out, the Legion of Super Heroes is back come December!!

Hey, at least they look adult-ish!! Many of you as well as I, were worried that they would come back as tiny teens or something but no prepubescent teenager is going to have boobs like that female character shot in the front or legs that well developed like the male left front. I can make out some pretty 'adult-ish' qualities in just about every memeber there. Kinda sorta! laugh

So I think this will be worth the wait!! laugh

ChameleonBoy

---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---
#69724 06/30/04 09:02 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
However, I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing Luornu's powers beefed up a bit so that she can receive some of the respect that other more powerful characters have always enjoyed in the past.
What would you do though? If you go full-on Myriad with her, you lose the tri-personality that makes her an interesting character. And if you give her generic energy blasts/other duplicated/psionic power,... well what is the frelling point?

#69725 06/30/04 09:06 PM
Active
Active
holy korbal!!! does anyone else see a lightning bolt on the busty female's thigh? the revamped spark? or lightning lad? or is that just stylized fabric wrinkles? it's nice to see the flight ring and "L" belt . too bad we don't see some non-humanoid silhouettes. c'mon barry give us some sketches!!!!

Gorilla Nebula
#69726 06/30/04 09:08 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
[Linked Image]
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
holy korbal!!! does anyone else see a lightning bolt on the busty female's thigh? the revamped spark? or lightning lad? or is that just stylized fabric wrinkles? it's nice to see the flight ring and "L" belt . too bad we don't see some non-humanoid silhouettes. c'mon barry give us some sketches!!!!
It's a fabric wrinkle, I'm pretty certain. But the guy to her left has a clearer bolt on his chest...

#69727 06/30/04 09:09 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Re: Luornu.

Personally I never thought the tri-personality was that great an addition to the character. Myself I think it weakens her. I think some of the interpretations of her that have surfaced on this board, for instance that fighting her is not liking fighting three people but instead like fighting one person who is in three places at once, are far more interesting. Let her be one consciousness spread out over three bodies.

#69728 06/30/04 09:16 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Re: Luornu.

Personally I never thought the tri-personality was that great an addition to the character. Myself I think it weakens her. I think some of the interpretations of her that have surfaced on this board, for instance that fighting her is not liking fighting three people but instead like fighting one person who is in three places at once, are far more interesting. Let her be one consciousness spread out over three bodies.
Well, when she's written well, she's both. I mean, what's tri-jitsu if it's not three people acting as one smile . Neutral, Orange and Purple should never be three seperate people, but three distinct aspects of the one person.

But really, if you write her simply as the same personĂ—3, outside of fight scenes, the occasional cutesy "one ends a sentence another began" and bad sex jokes, what unique aspects would there be to her?

#69729 06/30/04 10:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just better not have to wait another five frelling years or whatever to see Wildfire again - he spent enough time on the shelf during most of TMK and almost all of Archie Legion (Waid wrote a bunch of the reboot and never reintroduced him, which leaves me a tad worried...).

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,609
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kid Metal \m/
Kid Metal \m/
Kansas City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star