Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 32 Murran Spies, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Re: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Exnihil #766861 03/31/13 01:01 PM
And then there was steak!
Originally Posted by Exnihil
[Linked Image]

O.O...:D!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! *THROWS HANDS UP IN THE AIR*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I didn't think I'd been around long enough for a Monitor Board symbol! *FLAIL* I LOVE IT.

...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

(If I were home and not at work, i'd totally take a picture of my happy face. Shame you all are missing out on that. /sarcasm)

Exnihil #766868 03/31/13 01:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Our third member of the LMB Academy Alt class (and the seventh of our ten new logos) is the girl who - in honor of her late heroic brother - has chosen to take on the code name...

Reflekto

[Linked Image]

For this one, I wanted to to use the scientific symbol for "Reflection" but - oddly - there doesn't seem to be a standardized symbol for that. Weird, right? You would totally think that there would be. Oh, well.

What there is, however - he said, seemingly non-sequitorially - is a symbol for the 80's new wave band, Duran Duran, who just happened to have a big hit with their song, "The Reflex". Curious what that single cover looked like? Well...

THAT is FRACKING cool!

Exnihil #766869 03/31/13 01:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Emerald Empress one is also killer! that detailed iris!

I love the simplicity of Reflecto's though. Reminds me of the LSH symbols.

Exnihil #766981 04/01/13 08:01 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the feedback, guys! The fact that you're still digging these after two years means I'll absolutely make this a yearly thing.

So, as I mentioned at the outset, our final two symbols this year are actually replacements for two existing ones.

As you would have guessed from the "Up Next" teaser our very first "retired" logo is going to be...

Dedman

[Linked Image]

First, a bit of background for those unfamiliar with deddy's time-spanning tale...

It began in the 20th century when he was known as "Knuckles" - an enforcer on the planet Cairn. After a run-in with the Emerald Eye, he gained the vocally-activated power of forcing others to do his bidding. Making his way to Earth, he used this power to form a top-selling metal band which - in very short order - caused a coalition of other artists (led by Britney Spears) to conspire to kill him.

Blasted with a laser bomb at a concert, Knuckles was apparently killed, but - in actuality - he was sent backward in time to the 31st century BC where he used his power to establish himself as the Pre-Egyptian Pharaoh, "Menkuri Hotep Dic Nasewi" (as seen in the must-read Onevision, "Sands of Time Unfallen") Even in this distant past, however, jealousy reared its head as the priests of the Pharoah's court plotted to kill the interloper. Again murdered, as he lay dying, he whispered the phrase, "I don't want to die".

Apparently, his power was strong enough to even control the very forces of nature, because this dying command started a repeating cycle of almost instantaneous reincarnation that lasted over 6000 years. In the 31st century AD, the being - now know as "dedman" - joined up with the LMB, where he served as a loyal member for over a decade.

All things, however, must come to an end... and so, too, apparently does dedman's tale.

Though - at the time of this writing - the details are still unknown, conversations with the Legion of Instant Messagers of the 41st Century indicate that their (admittedly sketchy) historical records show no activity from the hero dedman beyond the year 3013... his story ending abruptly in the case ominously known as, "The Final Death of Dedman".

In his place - through circumstances still unexplained - a new name suddenly appeared... the strange being called...

Viridis Lament

[Linked Image]

Little is known about this new resident of Legion World, though his appearance seems similar to those beings described in the fictional works of 20th century author, H.P. Lovecraft.

His symbol (scaled noticeably larger than the average LMB symbol, further suggesting an otherworldly nature) has been seen previously in the designs of the fabled "Lemarchand's box"... specifically the "Lament Configuration" variant, fictionalized again in the works of 20th century film-maker, Clive Barker.

All of this is mere speculation, of course, but, I've got to tell you... I've got a bad feeling about this....

Up Next: "The Card of a Man"

Exnihil #766985 04/01/13 08:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Love Angs Ex. Thanks a lot.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Exnihil #766995 04/01/13 11:42 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
OMG EX, I love it!!!
I think the only really fitting reaction is to pull a Conjure Lass and go *SQUUEEEE!!*

Exnihil #767030 04/02/13 10:17 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, brother. That one was actually a bit of fun to do.

I originally thought I could just lift your old avatar and do an overlay on top of it, but it was too small and I couldn't see the detail. I wound up having to search out a larger scale image of the "Lemarchand box", but the only one that was large enough was still in the "square" configuration.

So what I did was slice it into sixteen pieces and then, literally, rotate each into place around the center point of my template. Midway through it occurred to me, "Oh s**t! I'm actually working this puzzle box, aren't I?"

Long story short... you don't happen to know the name of a good Cenobite exterminator, do you? wink

.. #767031 04/02/13 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Viridis Lament
OMG EX, I love it!!!
I think the only really fitting reaction is to pull a Conjure Lass and go *SQUUEEEE!!*

YOURS LOOKS AWESOME. Lookit how cool it looks!

alksdljalkdjaljsaldjf!

Exnihil #767038 04/02/13 12:36 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer

Long story short... you don't happen to know the name of a good Cenobite exterminator, do you? wink

*switchs to my old Death Metal voice* - You opened the box, we came

Exnihil #767281 04/04/13 07:28 AM
The Green Queen
The Green Queen
Oh, you sweet sweet man you! That's such a cute and awesome design, and bringing in the detail of the Moon of Koll was sheer genius!

*tweaks chest symbol*

There ya go. I just know Ang won't be able to take his eyes off THIS! wink

Why must power be so elusive?
Exnihil #767290 04/04/13 10:04 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, Zoe! Glad you dig it... and good luck with Ang!

For any other thread watchers, I've got one more in the hopper, but it takes a little bit longer to do, because there is a more "layer blending" required to make it look nice. It's on its way, though, likely by the weekend.

Exnihil #767294 04/04/13 11:54 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
The symbols continue to amaze and impress!! You have quite a resume built up now; a testimony to all the time and effort you've placed in this project.

Again, I think I speak for all Legion Worlders in saying thanks and keep the good stuff coming!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Exnihil #767348 04/04/13 11:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Oh man, I can't wait to see all these symbols again side by side! whohoo!

Exnihil #767555 04/06/13 01:31 PM
The Green Queen
The Green Queen
Thanks, Zoe! Glad you dig it... and good luck with Ang!

How could I not like it? It's genius, and I've already added it to all my clothes!

Why must power be so elusive?
Exnihil #768519 04/18/13 11:41 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
For any other thread watchers, I've got one more in the hopper, but it takes a little bit longer to do, because there is a more "layer blending" required to make it look nice. It's on its way, though, likely by the weekend.

confused Got sidetracked, didja, Ex?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #768526 04/19/13 06:48 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Paladin

confused Got sidetracked, didja, Ex?

I only said "the weekend"... I didn't specify, however, which weekend I consider to be "the". wink

Yeah... sorry there, P-Dinny... I did get involved in a bunch of other things and lost the momentum on this... one freaking picture from the end.

Well, no more! To spur myself on, I'll go ahead and commit to say the tenth of the ten will be up by... this weekend!

Exnihil #768598 04/19/13 06:17 PM
I'm excited to see the last symbol! Go Ex go!

Exnihil #768823 04/21/13 09:16 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Made it... just under the wire!

So, as I say, sorry for the delay, but better late than never. Our final symbol of this year's update - as most thread watchers will have guessed, I imagine - is a replacement for another of our "retirees".

First up, we say goodbye to the existing symbol for:

Lard Lad

[Linked Image]

What can be said about Lardy that hasn't already?

Part of the very reason there even is an LMB is as a result of a thread he first began on the old old DC Message Boards thirteen years ago called, "Who Are You?"

Lardy posed that question in an effort to break down the digital walls of anonymity that existed between he and his fellow posters, and really start to get to know these strange people. Well... thirteen years later, I think it's fair to say that the effort was "fairly" successful. wink

But who, in fact... was Lard Lad?

Well... if you believe the tale that was told, he was just a mild mannered grocery clerk who - through an accident involving an errant lightning bolt and a poorly placed lard display - became the latest wielder of the mysterious "Lard Force" that runs through the universe.

Trained in the use of these powers by his fellow Lard Knights, over the next decade plus, the legend of Lard Lad grew as big as his belly. Founding member of the LMB... their first Leader... and always at the center of the action. Married... betrayed... corrupted... killed... resurrected... powers robbed... robot duplicates created... evil future versions come back in time to challenge him . You name it - it happened to Lard Lad.

But all of it... every adventure that Lardy embarked on... was predicated on a lie.

Recently, Lard Lad learned that there never was a "Lard Force" at all. The truth was that Lardy's powers had been inherited from his evil father... and all other Lard Knights were only allowed to access this power such that the evil influence could spread.

With his father's death, the Lard Knights are no more... but the man formerly known as Lard Lad still honors their legacy by carrying on the values that made them great... fighting to guard all that is good and just in the universe but, now, as a lone...

Paladin

[Linked Image]

For Paladin's symbol I choose the only one I could... the chess knight.

This works on several levels. Firstly... it pays homage to the "Lard Knight" order from which he came (and has the nice design coincidence of also resembling an upside down "L" in reference to his previous identity.)

But secondly, it is also the famous symbol of the lone gunfighter Paladin from the classic series, "Have Gun Will Travel":

I tried several different chess knight designs, but all of them kept looking horrible. They either had too much detail which made it look sloppy at a small size... or they just looked really strange (seriously... do a google search on "chess knight," most are pretty freaky looking).

In the end, however, the answer was right in front of me. Some of you may know that I used to be in the army. Well... take a wild guess what my branch insignia looked like. The thing that I looked at all the time for five years? It looked a little something... like this:

[Linked Image]

D'oh!

Up next: Group Shot 2013!

Exnihil #768827 04/21/13 09:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I think you made the right choice, Ex. THANKS! hug

(Thanks as well for the accurate overview of the Lard Lad years. nod )

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Exnihil #768897 04/22/13 11:04 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
OK, I've started running the logos under the shrink ray in preparation for the full board display tonight (168 symbols strong now... over 10% of all of Legion World!) but - in the mean time, I figured we'd get one last look at our 2013 inductees.

A big round of applause for your teammates,

Angdar Fel, Conjure Lass, Emerald Empress, Kinetix (Zoe Saugin), Klar Ken T5477,

[Linked Image]

Reflekto, Paladin, Silver Age Lad, Stuorstew, and Viridis Lament

And, tonight... the whole shebang. Stay tuned...

Exnihil #768978 04/22/13 10:28 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
BREEP!

Legion of Message Board Posters Mission Monitor Board - 3013 compilation complete.

Display?

Yeah, show me who we got, Computo.

Displaying...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WHO'S WHO:

1. Abin Quank, Actor Lad, Angdar Fel, Anita Cocktail, Arachne, Arm Fall Off Boy, Arms Fall Off Boy, Awkward Pause Boy

2. Beagle Boy (Beagz), Bicycle Repair Man, Blacula, Blaze, Blockade Boy, Blue Battler, The Boy with Ultra Powers (Matt), Caliente

3. Cleome, Cobalt Kid, Conjure Lass, The Crusader, Crymsun Kid, Dev-Em, Director Lad, Doctor Mayavale

4. Doctor One, Double Chinner, Drake B 3004, The Election Tyrant, Emerald Empress, Enigma (C.J. Taylor), Eryk Davis Ester, Everyday Girl

5. Exnihil, Fanfic Lady, Faraway Lad, Fat Cramer, Ferro Boy, Floating Foxlike Creature, Freekinos (Freek'd Kid), Frio

6. Future, Future King, Gamara, Gary Concord, The Gay Green Giant (3G), The Ghost of Numf-El, Giant Robotic Lesbian, Gigglebot Girl

7. Googoomuck. Grey Birdboy, Harbinger, He Who Wanders, Helena Handbasket, High Priestess Viviane, Hot Chick (Kalla Hrykos), Hrun the Barbarian

8. Icefire, Invisible Brainiac, Jailbait Lass (Lolita), Jerry, Jim Gallagher, Karie, Kenaustin, Kent Shakespeare

9. Kid Chaos, Kid Charlemagne, Kid Flash 2 Fan, Kid Marvel, Kid Prime, Kid Quislet, Kid Vudoo (rtvu2), Kinetix (Zoe Saugin)

10. Klar Ken T5477, Korbal, Krypton Kid, The Labradorian, Lad Boy, Lance's Realm, Language Arts Lad (Dave), Lash Lad

11. Leap Year Lord (or Lass), l.e.g.i.o.nJOHN, Legion Reference File Lad (Chaim Mattis Keller), Legion Tracker, Lightning Lad, l'il Rhino, Lonestar Ranger, Lone Wolf Legionnaire

12. Looks That Kill Lad, Loser Lad, Lucien Lad (Bevis), Malvolio, Matlock, Matthew E, Mattropolis, Mechana

13. Mediocre Boy, Minesurfer, Monkey Eater Lad, Mystery Lad, My Whee Fem, Nightcrawler, Nova Girl, Novelty

14. Omega Man, Omni Craig, Outdoor Miner, Owl Lad, Pagan Lass, Paladin, Paris Cub, Polar Boy

15. Portfolio Boy, Poverty Lad, Power Boy, Professor H-0011 (profh0011), Quislet Esq., Raging Bull, Ram Boy, Razsolo

16. Reboot, Red Arrow, The Red Bee, Reflekto, Ricardo, Rickshaw, Rockhopper Lad, Rokk Steady

17. Rouge (Dave Hackett), Sam Pureheart, Sarcasm Kid, Saturn Girl, Seahorse, Semi-Transparent Fellow, Senor Widebottom, Set

18. Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass, Shark Lad, Shining Son, Silver Age Lad, Sir Roy, Sketch Lad, Sonnie Bloke, Space Ranger

19. Space Tart, Spellbinder, Star Boy, Stoopid Cat, STU, Stuorstew, Suddenly Seymour, Superboy MDD Jr.

20. Tamper Lad, Tempest, Thriftshop Debuntante, Timber Wolf, Time Teller Lad, Tromium, 235 Andy S, Ultra-Jorge

21. Varalent (Vee), Virgin Lad (Clive), Viridis Lament, Walks With Crowds, White Raven (Whitelighter), Xben, The Yellow Kid (YK), Zardi - The Eternal Man

Sweet Ass Sweet!

Exnihil #768984 04/23/13 06:46 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Love these, Ex... all the more impressive seeing them all together! smile

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Exnihil #768990 04/23/13 07:45 AM
I get to be right next to Cobie! Special, I am.

Exnihil #768994 04/23/13 08:31 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Ex, your patience and dedication with this project alone is impressive. Of course, the fact that they're absolutely beautiful is even more so. smile

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Exnihil #769031 04/23/13 03:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Too cool for school.

If I had to pick a favorite other than my own handsome and debonaire symbol, I REALLY like Bicycle Repairman's and I get a good chuckle out of profh0011's.

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,828
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brainiac 5
Brainiac 5
the Detroit multi-lab
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star