Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 9 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 11:39 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 11:37 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/22/24 09:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/22/24 09:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/22/24 09:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/22/24 09:43 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 04:47 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 04:44 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best Legion Moments
Invisible Brainiac #783079 08/10/13 09:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The Baxter induction scene is arguably more significant for introducing two of the more non-humanoid Legionnaires to have ever joined. With Ferro Lad and Karate Kid being represented elsewhere in the montage, I think this was a good choice.

I think it could have used something from the GDS in there at least. I'd rather it had been one of the triumphant moments, rather than the mutilation of Daxam that another poster suggested. I've always been partial to the scene of Kal and Kara charging together against Darkseid, one of my personal iconic moments in all of my comics fandom. Since it was wiped from continuity at that point, I guess it was ineligible. Still, if the continuity was being scrapped altogether, why the hell not, right? shrug

Another big moment would have been the defeat of the Time Trapper in v3 #50. But I guess that was kind of in the forefront with the Trapper's involvement in "End of an Era" itself.

I like the smaller moments being included with Lu and Rokk & Reep. It just shows that there are big moments in the lore that aren't BIG moments, you know?

Ferro Lad's sacrifice just BELONGS in ANY such montage, inarguably, I'd say. The scene with the lightning rods is a good choice because it shows the Legion's devotion for one another.

So, yes, I'm a fan of that montage and the choices that were made.

For a new one that encompasses all the continuities before and since? Difficult to say... hmmm

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #783081 08/10/13 10:08 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Paladin

I think it could have used something from the GDS in there at least. I'd rather it had been one of the triumphant moments, rather than the mutilation of Daxam that another poster suggested. I've always been partial to the scene of Kal and Kara charging together against Darkseid, one of my personal iconic moments in all of my comics fandom. Since it was wiped from continuity at that point, I guess it was ineligible. Still, if the continuity was being scrapped altogether, why the hell not, right? shrug

I thought of that scene from GDS as well. And they did include Superboy in the Lightning Lad scene, so why not? I also probably would've picked something from Adv. 247 over the origin scene, though I understand why the origin scene is there. The actual last images we see are that scene repeated over and over, fading to white. And then the next issue basically retells that story for the reboot.

Eryk Davis Ester #783090 08/10/13 10:58 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester

I thought of that scene from GDS as well. And they did include Superboy in the Lightning Lad scene, so why not?

Yeah, that's right! So the presense of the super-cousins wouldn't have disqualified it.... shrug

Interesting that the scene occurred to you as well. I've never fully gotten the sense that that scene was as iconic to others as it was to me. I think many feel it's a good moment in the GDS, but I haven't seen it expressed as a HUGE moment in Legion history much, if any. As I said, it's not only a huge Legion moment for me but a huge moment in the entire art form for me in a way I can't explain. I mean, it didn't necessarily even turn the tide in the battle, but it's stuck with me from the moment I first read it!

I also probably would've picked something from Adv. 247 over the origin scene, though I understand why the origin scene is there. The actual last images we see are that scene repeated over and over, fading to white. And then the next issue basically retells that story for the reboot.

It's pretty appropriate given the context of what was about to happen, certainly.

To me, the most significant part of ADV 247 is that scene on the cover, an iconic image which has been paid homage to over and over again. So that would have been appropriate in this or any montage.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #783108 08/11/13 01:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
One thing missing was a group scene of the Legionnaires. It needn't have been copied from an existing panel, but something showing all the Legionnaires ever in one panel would have been nice (though that would have taken at least half a panel - but George Perez would definitely have been able to pull that off).

One problem with the Luornu scene is that anyone unfamiliar with the original story may not have recognized her! I know I didn't, the first time I read the issue.

The Baxter induction scene is arguably more significant for introducing two of the more non-humanoid Legionnaires to have ever joined. With Ferro Lad and Karate Kid being represented elsewhere in the montage, I think this was a good choice.

Having Magnetic Kid also shows the continuity of the Legion - Magnetic Kid is continuing Cosmic Boy's legacy.

We also have Polar Boy, a longtime Sub who finally made it to the big Leagues. This highlights the Legion's spirit of continuing self-improvement.

And finally, Sensor Girl is represented here as well.

Blockade Boy #783110 08/11/13 01:11 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Originally Posted by Blacula

And Karate Kid's death, brave and sad as it was, didn't seem any more special or momentous than most of the other members who'd died.

I probably agree with you on the KK death, I think death was been shown better and adequately with Ferro and LL. Ferro Lad particularly show the sacrifice in action and of course was an iconic scene for superhero comics in general.

Birth, death, resurrection. I think missing is a scene of joy and camaraderie. Others will come to me.

I agree with you on the pure "joy" scene, though those did seem to come few and far between.

Re Karate Kid's death, maybe they picked it because it showed him battling against his pain and weariness to hit Nemesis Kid one last time. Though Invisible Kid and Chemical King did that when they died too, and neither was represented in the montage... but they put in other heroic dead Legionnaires Lightning Lad, Magnetic Kid and of course Ferro Lad.

The more we discuss, the more I'm sure that the Lu scene was included due to fan involvement. A lot of posters here who've started with the Adventure Era have high praise for that scene. I think among the scenes included, it is the Lu scene whose inclusion non-readers would have the most trouble understanding.

Invisible Brainiac #783138 08/11/13 09:51 AM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
I think one of my favorite scenes is at the end of Legion of the Damned where the presumed-dead Legionnaires come back up over the hill, all alive and well. And then Imra and Garth hug. And then everybody is all happy and hopeful and stuff. It's like some epic scene from a movie or something.

Invisible Brainiac #783144 08/11/13 11:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
That was a good one. The art and the story were so awesome, I could literally feel the soft breezes and see the cool light show that accompanied the freeing of the Doda! And it really felt like a reunion well-earned.

Invisible Brainiac #783171 08/11/13 02:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Legion of the Damned, I like more every time I read it. It was so drastic and dark on first read, I took a negative impression about its quality. After years, the emotions are not so raw and there's the realization that life went on...

I could see having that scene in the montage, definitely.

Invisible Brainiac #783684 08/17/13 09:06 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Heck, I'm adding it to MY montage picks!

As for me, I'm picking 7 from the Postboot Legion:

1) Cosmic Boy, Live Wire, Saturn Girl, Apparition and Triad being honored by the UP for foiling an attempted bombing that would have wiped out all attending UP delegates. More than the act of saving RJ Brande, this incident launched the Legion on their path to glory.

2) The death of Kid Quantum I. This was a big catalyst in getting the team to mature and realize that superheroing isn't a game.

3) Brainy, Jan Arrah, RJ Brande and the 3 founders opening a stargate to send the 4 insane Daxamite White Triangle members to an uninhabited world. The Legion beat four insane people with the power of Superman!

4) The assembled Legion raising the Legion's flag after exposing Chu and stopping the Fatal Five. They'd earned their freedom and improved the state of the UP all in one go.

5) The Legionnaires and their allies sealing Mordru in a sphere. Another major battle won through excellent teamwork and cooperation.

6) A victorious Legion reunited after freeing the Doda (and Earth) from the Blight.

7) Kid Quantum II, Element Lad and Wildfire working to seal the rift in space. They weren't sure they could still succeed but they went down fighting anyway.

8) Live Wire jumping into the open mouth of the Progenitor-Omniphagos monster. Despite being free to return home with his friends and his lover, he chose to sacrifice himself so he could save a galaxy that wasn't even his.

Invisible Brainiac #787736 09/18/13 05:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Saving Brande
Rejection of Superboy
Resurrection of Lightning Lad

Induction of cover of #346
Ferro Lad flying into the Sun Eater

The terror of Mordru from #369 (genuinely scared superheroes)

Supergirl v Darkseid (precursor to her death v Anti Monitor & another super-family link)

The determined Mon-El face from #4 of the 5YG

Any romantic moment between Ultra Boy/ Phantom Girl or Mone-El and Shadow Lass.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #787944 09/21/13 11:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
MMM- hard to choose between the big momentous scenes and the very personal ones.

I'd have to start with the Bouncing Boy/Duo Damsel wedding pin-up. I got the issue months after it came out (my local comics source- a 7-11 had a 'creative' view of putting comics out. Then, I just accepted it- but, man, I would've loved to stick my head in that store's backroom or wherever they stockpiled their comics if only I'd known...). Anyway, figuring out who was who in that beautiful drawing, balanced with reading reprints went a long way to making me a LSH fan for life.

Luornu playing volleyball with herself and Chuck as her ball is a concurrent image I love.

Phantom Girl smiling and sitting up in a hospital bed with adoring teammates around her as she recuperates from a stab wound incurred in the Soljer issue. There was a great quote about friends, from the Bible, I think. Take that, Levitz.

Element Lad, Chameleon Boy and Brainiac 5 meeting in secret as they work on cracking the mystery of Violet's Story.

From the Great Darkness Saga- the Heroes of Lallor and the Wanderers leading a mass of recovered Daxamites to the LSH's assistance.

Adult Jo coming face to face with his teen counterpart and teen Tinya.

Dream Girl rising from a fiery post in The Legionnaire's Made for Burning- and Shadow Lass's facial expression as she played her part.

The coming over the hill reunion at the end of The Blight storyline was great, IB.

I'm craving a Legion massing in triumph scene, right now. Tears and hugs and flags waving. Ending with taking to the skies.

thoth lad #788210 09/24/13 12:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Mystery Lad

From the Great Darkness Saga- the Heroes of Lallor and the Wanderers leading a mass of recovered Daxamites to the LSH's assistance.

The coming over the hill reunion at the end of The Blight storyline was great, IB.

I'm craving a Legion massing in triumph scene, right now. Tears and hugs and flags waving. Ending with taking to the skies.

Re GDS, and the Subs too! I loved the rush of that scene. Look, the Legionnaires aren't alone after all, but their allies are all here!

I really do miss those big scenes with the whole team rallying together. Makes me want to stand up and yell "Long Live the Legion" right here in my room!

Originally Posted by thothkins
Resurrection of Lightning Lad

Induction of cover of #346
Ferro Lad flying into the Sun Eater

Supergirl v Darkseid (precursor to her death v Anti Monitor & another super-family link)

The determined Mon-El face from #4 of the 5YG

Any romantic moment between Ultra Boy/ Phantom Girl or Mone-El and Shadow Lass.

This makes me think - it would be awesome to either unearth an old, or start a new, thread about Best Moments for Individual Legionnaires!

Invisible Brainiac #788212 09/24/13 12:42 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,604
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Suddenly Seymour
Suddenly Seymour
Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI