Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Re: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Exnihil #769212 04/24/13 08:12 PM
Leader
Leader
I still love mine. I think I missed Paris Cub's. That's hilarious!

Exnihil #769214 04/24/13 09:09 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Heh, I never realised the standby symbol was meant to be mine! [I usually use the ReBoot icon for "in-character" stuff]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Exnihil #769277 04/25/13 01:17 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Oh, wow... I've seen you use that symbol on LW before, Reboot, but I never knew what it was supposed to be... I don't think I ever heard of that show, as it looks like its American peak was when I was overseas w/ the army.

I know the "standby" symbol isn't technically the right one to symbolize restarting, but - when I first picked it - I was just thinking that it's the button I have to resort to when my laptop freezes and I have to do a hard boot. If you like, the next time I do updates on these I can sub in the TV show logo for you.

Since a couple people have mentioned their favorites, I guess I could go ahead and say which ones are my own... both from a design standpoint, and the ones I had the most fun doing. I love 'em all, really, but there are a couple standouts for me.

First off... I really love the one for the Yellow Kid. The really simple outline of YK's head, and the primary color wheel that is springing from his mind, is always a really poignant reminder to me of Art, whose talent and brilliant ideas I greatly admired, and still miss.

Secondly, I am fond of Eryk's... not just because it captures a pretty abstract concept... but because its final form was a real collaborative effort - with the feedback from others taking my original idea and pushing me to refine it until it clicked.

But my personal favorite... is Tamper Lad.

That was the one that really pushed the envelope for me as far as getting to learn Photoshop more than just the basics. I really, really wanted to do a good take on that "Ernst Stavro Blofeld" chair but I thought that creating a real illusion of depth was beyond me. So I just kept at it, and at it, and at it.... and in the process wound up learning quite a bit. There are others (Abin Quank and Anita Cocktail, for instance) that used some of the same tricks, but Tamper was the first and, therefore, my fave.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone. Same time next year? wink

Exnihil #769278 04/25/13 01:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Great job, as always.

Exnihil #769513 04/27/13 11:30 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
Originally Posted by Exnihil

[Linked Image]

Krypton Kid simply uses a map of Krypton from the Silver Age (which really gave the Photoshop lasso tool a workout. smile )

Thank You. I love it!

Exnihil #805625 04/22/14 01:53 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
OK, fairly simple additions this time out, as our hot, cold, and hot/cold LMBers get their symbols from a few direct lifts from some industrial hazard signs.

We have Caliente, Frio, and Icefire:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cali's is the hazard sign for "Flammable", her chilly sister's is the sign for "Extreme Cold" and Icefire, of course, combines the two.
Love, love, LOVE it!!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Exnihil #805665 04/22/14 08:23 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
*gasp* Cali's back!!

Exnihil #807014 05/04/14 03:24 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
MY favorite is mine!
D'uh.
LOL

But, not just because it's mine.
I loved working with you on it, Ex.
You were so receptive and full of ways to refine the concept, making it better than I could have imagined.

Love the recent Paladin addition, too.
It has added luster for me because it was a former part of your life.
Good stuff!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Exnihil #807015 05/04/14 04:13 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
*gasp* Candle's back! Wow! This thread (and the MMB symbols) are really bringing people together!

Exnihil #807054 05/04/14 12:06 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
No entirely new content here, but I just wanted to pop on to say "Hi" to Candle, as well! You've been sorely missed around these parts, Shady, and it's really good to see you again.

That being said - just so I'm not bumping my own threads without offering anything new - let me go ahead and formalize a couple symbols introduced elsewhere around the board.

First... rookie of the year: Thothkins, who, like at least one person seems to do each year, almost immediately clicked with the crazy vibe we've got going here. So, in his birthday thread, I gave him:

[Linked Image]

For our newbie, I went pretty literal with an Egyptian theme - using the left-sided "Eye of Thoth" (as opposed to the reversed formation "Eye of Horus") but with an interlac "K" in place of the teardrop to indicate the "-kins" diminutive. I'm guessing he dug it, since it's now his avatar. smile

Secondly, a new symbol for Thriftshop Debutante/Leap Year Lass (Lord) to supersede her previous two:

[Linked Image]

When I first designed hers years ago, I only ever rarely posted beside her and was unfamiliar with her style (I actually wasn't even aware that TD and LYL were the same individual). Well, all that has now been happily remedied and - above all - I've learned one important thing: Teeds gets what she wants. smile

In this case, what she wanted was simply a nice Art Deco "29" (non-interlac) to reflect her fondness for the style of that age and the fact that she almost certainly has abilty to "leap years", and to serve as a nice reference to her user number (you know... prior to the board itself gaining sentience following our move, usurping user number 1, and bumping everybody down one. Ugh.)

I very much like the simplicity of the symbol as it came out and, as an added side benefit for my own sensibilities... I actually kind of still think it does have a certain Interlac-iness about it. What's more, I also find that the left half of the divided "2" and the right half of the divided "9" - taken together - suggest to me the letters, "T.D."

Happy coincidences, all.

Exnihil #807061 05/04/14 01:19 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Just think. If these make it to the big board, they'll be neigh...'scuse me, there's a banging noise.

Odd, even the seedy postathons are nailing boards over their cover cavalcade windows.

Where was I? Ah yes

SQQQQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I had wondered if the K was intentional. I should have known better, considering the care you put into everyone's symbol. Thanks again Ex.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Exnihil #871038 10/01/15 01:56 AM
Leader
Leader
I've got an Oscar for mine?

Love it!

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
Exnihil #871059 10/01/15 10:07 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Wow these are cool! smile

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Exnihil #871065 10/01/15 02:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It's always nice to see this thread getting a bump. The stories behind the symbols really helped me get a feel for the LMB's history when I joined up.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Exnihil #891190 03/14/16 08:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
How awesome is this?
Thanks for doing this
Sad I missed this in my long hiatus
I have the yin/yang tatted on my neck!

Bit of a potpourri this time out, as I'm nearing the end of the "Summer of Symbols" and unifying themes are running a bit thin. Tonight, we're all over the map with two from the top 100, and two more from below, as we meet:

Leap Lear Lord, Senor Widebottom, Sir Roy, and 235 Andy S:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For Leap Year Lord (Formerly Leap Year Lass - but that's an anagram of "Slay Laser Ape" and I'm sure no one wants that!) I was at a bit of a loss, so went with a pretty literal take - a leap over a calendar passing the 29th. If that leaper looks eerily familiar, don't worry about it, I'm sure a nice FTD pick-me-up bouquet will help that feeling pass. wink

The natural symbol for Senor Widebottom would have been, of course, his trademark pair of comically oversized pantaloons, but I couldn't get that image to be evocative enough without some sort of pattern on the pants (and I'm not actually that adept enough in Photoshop to pull it off). So, instead, I tried a few different elements of "clown" paraphernalia - a seltzer bottle, balloon animals - before setting on the bike horn to tie it nicely into the fact that he's part of the lil' Rhino family of characters.

Sir Roy was formerly part of the Knights of Legion World until he recently met his end valiantly during a fight with the Red Bee. For Roy I went with a sort of heraldic shield with an Interlac "R" balanced out by a fleur de lis to suggest his nobility.

I don't know Andy S at all (he stopped posting long before I arrived here) and unfortunately there is not much in either his name or the posts he made to suggest anything to me beyond a pretty literal translation. I did find an old photomanip by Monkey Eater Lad, though, which suggested that Andy was a Karate Kid fan, so I went with a yin yang symbol inverted to form an "S," with the "235" - for which I don't know the significance - in Interlac below.

Up next: We watch some Flight of the Concords... and decide it's pretty Stoopid.

Myg - Andy S #891375 03/15/16 12:05 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
How awesome is this?
Thanks for doing this
Sad I missed this in my long hiatus
I have the yin/yang tatted on my neck!

Oh, coolness... art imitating life! (Either that, or - you know - the complete biographic and photographic dossiers I maintain on all members of Legion World. wink )

Welcome back to LW!

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,830
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star