Roll Call
2 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker), 24 Murran Spies, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/28/24 06:10 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/28/24 06:07 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 05/28/24 05:41 PM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Gaseous Lad - 05/28/24 05:02 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/28/24 03:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/28/24 03:08 AM
R.I.P. Rachel Pollack
by Ann Hebistand - 05/27/24 04:12 PM
DC Pride 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 05/27/24 04:11 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: LSH 4 preview! ... Spoilers
#89672 03/24/05 02:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Even though it looks like Tinya's touch is leading to a kiss, KK says that they touched "once" and since that last panel focuses on her hand on his face (her gloved one at that -- I thought Legionnaires were supposed to be less prudish? wink ), I'm going to guess that's as far as it went.

Regarding the colors - the bright colors don't work for me. I was never one of those with a problem with the current coloring anyway. I'm also always a bit bothered by that kind of "air-brushy" computer modeling. It's especially bad with the bad guy.

And now that we see Tinya is literally between two dimensions, does she lead a double life in Bgztl? Will she seem as flaky as Dream Girl, with half her mind occupied on something else (like how that Bgztl officer saw her)? And when she's phasing, she now has to make sure she's not going to hit something on Bgztl. Will she have to make sure she doesn't materialize half in a wall on Bgtzl when she's in the middle of a fight here in this dimension? And where does she shower? She'd have to make sure her bathroom provides equal privacy in both dimensions.

#89673 03/25/05 01:25 AM
Active
Active
Looks like if she's present to any degree here, she's already intangible on Bgztl, so she shouldn't have to worry about smacking into stuff there. And if she needs privacy for showers and whatnot, I guess she can just relax and go back completely to Bgztl. From the "force of will" line I assume she's never on Earth unless actively trying.

Now, speaking of Earth...can Tinya go on space missions at all? Does every planet here have a habitable counterpart in her dimension, or does she risk emerging in a hostile environment if exhaustion/distraction/unconsciousness causes her to dephase?

#89674 03/25/05 09:27 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by SiliconDream:
Now, speaking of Earth...can Tinya go on space missions at all? Does every planet here have a habitable counterpart in her dimension, or does she risk emerging in a hostile environment if exhaustion/distraction/unconsciousness causes her to dephase?
That's an interesting point. She went with them to Lallor in the first issue. Maybe she never leaves Bgztl no matter where she is in the Legion's dimension.

#89675 03/25/05 11:47 AM
A
Active
Active
A
Was I mistaken in thinking she is only visible on Bgztl when she's actually there or phasing. She can be solid on Earth, solid on Bgztl, or intangible in both. So any privacy issue is determined by her own choice.

#89676 03/25/05 01:13 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Well, it seems they've turned Phantom Girl into Kitty Pryde with the naturally-phased-generat-effort-to-turn-solid condition. Gotta admit, Tinya did look funny while she was shown as being in Bgztl.

CAN'T WAIT FOR WEDNESDAY! smirk

Igee The Mighty!
#89677 03/25/05 03:14 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
Next week I'm going to be so grumpy because I went ahead and looked at these previews.
You are NOT. These previews hardly spoil ANYTHING. Remember, LSH is 30% more comic than every other monthly out there. You've still got a solid 22 pages of comic left to read next week. Chin UP, man.

Anyway, add me to the legion of fans who are really digging Waid's way-out take on Legionnaires, their powers and most importantly, their native cultures and how they all work together to make these characters more fascinating than they've been in 30 years. There really is something to be said for shaking readers (and writers) out of our comfort zone with a good solid reboot once in a long while.

A very long while.

And, of course, it's got to be done right. No giant snakes or editor-mandated retcons lousing things up.

-- Still here to help.
#89678 03/25/05 03:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
All I can say is this. Barry won me over long ago with his awesome art and great attitude. The man is the best in the business.

As for Mr. Waid, well he started out this series good but his track record was spotty, so there was always some worry. But something he uses, has a character say, in this upcoming issue got me good. A simple turn of phrase proves, to me, this man loves the Legion, maybe as much as I do.

Four issues in and I'm almost, just almost, ready to say that Waid and Kitson have surpassed Levitz and Giffen in my eyes.

Now, just bring in the other character to whom that phrase means a lot too and don't screw up Garth and you'll have me fully hooked.

#89679 03/25/05 06:46 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I'm about as hooked as I get. I'm interested to see how Waid is going to make good on the promise of his concept, which is brilliant. I think he's struck a pretty good balance of realism v. superhero stuff so far, though I personally wouldn't mind see more political reality. The idea of the Legion as the CSA is *great*, but I think he needs to work the angle a bit harder still. Characters are great so far, zero complaints in that area. And for the record, I *like* the subdued coloring. smile

It's a bit early for me to pick at story structure and presentation, so I'll hold on for a few months.

Though I’ve commented elsewhere that I think Waid is writing believable kids, I’m reconsidering slightly after having read some of his comments in the interview at sequentialtart.com. I’ll wait on that one a bit too. So far.. not bad.

I think the series has a good shot at the success he predicted. The only thing that concerns me now is whether DC is promoting the title enough/properly/etc. But assuming Waid and Kitson stay on and there's no massive screwups, the only thing DC could do at this point is deprive the title of a potential audience. At 40,000 readers (from the sales figures) maybe that isn't really a problem.

The core faithful is on board. I'm sure most of the superhero fans would like it, and even non-fans like myself. It's a good solid book, so it's got a shot at the entire comic-buying audience. Though, should that be all DC shoots for? There's a problem in getting comic books to people who don't already read comics. But my instincts are that the Buffy and Harry Potter crowds would like this book a lot, given the chance.

#89680 03/26/05 02:30 AM
Active
Active
Hi Guys
As usual I won't give much away about the issue until you've all had a chance to read it - but I will admit I missed not getting to draw it!
I hope I won't have to skip another issue for a very long time - despite enjoying seeing other people's take on my designs! smile (I think Dave, Leonard, Mick and Drew did great work BTW!)

I think we're getting the coloring sorted -many of the hiccups have been getting used to unexpected paper changes and technical stuff that I think is under control now (fingers-crossed).

As far as the audience goes DC (and the team) are delighted with results so far - since people actually saw the book orders have been increasing issue on issue (a very rare occurance) which suggests word-of-mouth has been very good!! And we haven't had any 'Identity Crisis' tie-ins laugh

Some one asked about SP design sheets - Have I ever posted those here? If not, I'll see what I can do!

Thanks again for all the support! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#89681 03/26/05 02:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Barry, you haven't posted the SP design sheets yet, not that I've found anywhere. If you can share them, when you get the time, I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

#89682 03/26/05 06:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Barry pls post the SPs design sheets. The SPs are m y heroes of this series. wink

#89683 04/11/05 12:38 PM
Leader
Leader
I liked Leonard Kirk's art MORE than what Barry Kitson has been doing.

I recall the very 1st issue of JSA he did (before he "got good" in most fans views), I thought he'd be a PERFECT fit for the LSH.

That said, both his art and Dave Gibbons' (who I've loved since his run on DOCTOR WHO!!!) both really "fit" with the current look Kitson is giving the book. I think any given series should have its own unique and consistent "look", and fill-in artists should be appropriate in being able to maintain whatever that "look" is.

#89684 08/28/12 05:03 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So, seven years later...

I just figured out that the whole "people from Xanthu can't eat sugar" thing is a reference to Xanthan gum.

#89685 08/28/12 06:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ah! but perhaps they can eat xylitol, which may have been developed on Xanthu although Terran encylopedias will say otherwise.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#89686 08/30/12 10:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Blacula:

Good to see Shadow Lass' skin looking a bit bluer but I really want Sun Boy's hair to go back to being red too. I made my boyfriend read the first couple of issues of this series last night and he kept getting Element Lad and Sun Boy confused. Why give two characters with exactly the same costume colour scheme the same colour hair as well - especially since one of them has already been established as having a very different hair colour? I'm sure my boo isn't the only new reader out there getting them mixed up too. Let's make it easy for them - red hair for Sun Boy please Barry!
OMG! I have NO recollection of writing this and EVEN LESS of forcing my boyfriend at the time (of probably less than 3 months at that point) to read the first few issues of the WaK Legion!

No wonder we broke up shortly afterward! Haha Another reason for me to hate that terrible era. mad wink

#89687 08/31/12 10:15 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Every response I can think of to the let's-use-comics-to-break-up-a-relationship story just sounds worse than the one before.

Maybe we should talk politics or something else relaxing, instead.

poke

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#89688 08/31/12 11:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Have you had comics break up a relationship before cleome? This sounds like it could be a topic for its own thread. Haha "Have comics ever ruined your love life?" laugh

I mainly keep my interest in comics hidden from my partners for the most part. They usually know I might read them - but not that I have thousands and thousands of them or that I sometimes obsess over trivial minutiae like characters' hair colours on online message boards or anything. Haha

That boyfriend knew and seemed to be kinda into the idea though. He even bought me the Superman: Birthright TPB for my Birthday which I thought was really sweet, and really lucky too since I have a LOT of Superman comics and he just happened to get me one I'd never read before.

#89689 09/02/12 10:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Awww, what a sweet boyfriend, Blacula. Blaze does the same for me, although I can't really do the same for him since he's not really a big fan of anything in particular. He's more of a generalist tongue

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,756
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
GeminiInTheRough, RenDaggle, TenzilKem3004, The Kahn, wndola1
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star