Roll Call
2 members (Ann Hebistand, thoth lad), 46 Murran Spies, and 134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 09:44 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Sixteens Chapel!
Thriftshop Debutante #973551 07/06/19 10:28 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
17. DAREDEVIL of course. Gray background makes the costumes POP. Reminds me of Colorform. The other one reminds me of Fargo (the movie) when Marge is talking to the 2 good-time girls in the bar. "He was funny-lookin." "Oh yah, how was he funny-lookin?" "Ya know, funny-lookin."

18.KATHY because the setup has somewhere to go and I like the layout. And, ya know, TULIP TENDER.

19. IRON FIST. Dang, I like Kate there (and Hawkeye shoots a curl...with a bow and arrow) but the color combo isn't my favorite. I like IIF's color better, and it is eye-catching. Is it a reference to a movie poster? The text kinda tips toward The Cook The Thief His Wife Her Lover, but I didn't find any TCTTHWHL poster that looked like that, generally it was HELEN MIRREN in that JPG. And I don't imagine they were gonna follow the film's storyline.

20. LSH (5YL). Good grief!

Thriftshop Debutante #973552 07/07/19 03:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
17. Daredevil - Figures do stand out against smog-coloured city and high in the air is more exciting than 2 feet off the pavement. Note to Ringmaster: get a new tailor.

18. Patsy - Great expression on Gladys' face and better story potential. The temptress attracting the boys is an old story.

19. Hawkeye - Love all the Hawkeye covers and the tape recording list is unusual. Pink's ok but the dark yellow is meh. Iron Fist is very cool cover also. Hawkeye brand tipped the balance.

20. Legion 5YL - I really like the 60s look and colours on LSH Baxter, but they don't go with the red-blue-yellow of Supergirl. Andromeda in action takes it.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #973600 07/07/19 10:57 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
21. WIINDOWS vs. THE EXTERMINATORS

click to enlarge click to enlarge

22. GREEN LANTERN vs. SUPERMAN'S GIRLFRIEND LOIS LANE

23. BLONDE PHANTOM vs. WONDER COMICS

24. MICRONAUTS vs. NEW TEEN TITANS

Thriftshop Debutante #973601 07/07/19 10:58 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
21. SORRY BABY, I don't really go for either. One's kinda dull and the other is kinda cheesy. Okay, boring. WIINDOWS

22. GREEN LANTERN! Star Sapphire isn't shy about taking up space and being mega comicbooky. Oh, and it's another Colorforms one. And I love that logo. I'm used to Lois bringing the crazy, but this cover is kinda lifeless. WTF, LL??

23. BLONDE PHANTOM! Wonder is, once again, a delight, but look at the symmetry/shapes of the 2 main charaacters on BP! Fantastic.

24.NTT. Default vote. Get outta here with that Beyonder.

Thriftshop Debutante #973622 07/08/19 11:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just for the record, Slinky Judy Dench (in Cabaret).

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

21. WIIndows - better than the other one, but looks like amateur painter's first still life.

22. Green Lantern - the Lois Lane figures are way too stiff and Lois has no agency. Star Sapphire (presumably) knows what she's doing.

23. Blonde Phantom - more dynamic. There sure are a lot of people chained to walls in these old comics.

24. New Titans - Komand'r (I presume) has much better fashion sense than wrinkled white suit guy. Elvis wannabe?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #973628 07/08/19 01:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
21. Exterminators. I'm going with the tale of sexual harassment over the wine, choosing life over still life.

22. Lois Lane. The Sapphire story might be great, but that's no excuse to have the lead character explain what the visuals are on the cover. If you have to explain them, they're not working Hal. Kal is in another crazy predicament, and once again their relationship seems doomed. Lois' slightly robotic tones, make me wonder if a) the Superman robots have been getting lonely or b) Lois is enjoying her Kryptonite vision, and is faking that confusion. Great threat too.

23. Teeds is spot on (yet again. Bah!) Following the green shoe at the bottom right you get a diagonal across the cover. The way the pair lean, also opens up the space for the curtain and the other contestants, adding in more story elements. The curtain allows for focus on the main characters. Classy craft going on with this one. Legion World points for Wonder for featuring EDE's relatives. Read our feature tale: "The Caps of Justice!"

24. Gosh! There was a lot to like in that Micronauts series. But this cover isn't one of the bits. Behind Beyond(er) Contempt, the winged guy is Scion, who had turned into a panel hog in the series, after his introduction. Knowing the series was going to end, at least the Beyonder had a narrative role to play here. It's more than he did in Secret Wars itself. Titans wins for having a triumphant pose, rather than just a pose.

Dench looks a bit grim to be slinky. A young Derek Jacobi makes an appearance at the back.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #973653 07/08/19 09:09 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Do an images search on Judi Dench Titania. THAT is not slinky because there's not enough material to slink.

Check out the other actresses in the pictures. Why, yes, HELEN MIRREN. And another actress named Diana Rigg, I wonder whatever happened to her?

Thriftshop Debutante #973654 07/08/19 09:34 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
25. SECRETS OF THE SINISTER HOUSE vs. HUMPHREY COMICS

26. OUR ARMY AT WAR vs. STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES

27. ALL FLASH vs. GANG BUSTERS

28. WEST COAST AVENGERS vs. SUPERGIRL AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES

Thriftshop Debutante #973659 07/09/19 03:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
25. Secrets of Sinister House - ludicrously weird as opposed to just ludicrous.

26. War Stories - dark figures against background explosion is especially dramatic.

27. Gang Busters - He's almost flying and looks desperate. Flash looks slow by comparison.

28. West Coast Avengers - don't like the floating heads, but the figures against black background leap out.

Judy, Helen, Diana - oh, the 60s!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #973689 07/09/19 02:54 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
25. Secrets of Sinister House. I guess. Although that skeleton is too big and we don't get many houses on the backs of cars.
26. Our Army at War. More detailed art. Ironically, the next issue of both series contained a pull out on getting into cover before firing. Too late for these guys.
27. Gangbusters. For the fear n the guy's face. He fears a lawsuit when the bag is found to contain the head of Alfredo Garcia.
28. Supergirl and the Legion. The fists raised in unison, celebrating the legion and not a fascist rally. Kara's hand raised in a parallel gesture gets extra pints he place in front of the split cover gets even more. The Wackos random girning doesn't come close.

Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante
Do an images search on Judi Dench Titania. THAT is not slinky because there's not enough material to slink.

Check out the other actresses in the pictures. Why, yes, HELEN MIRREN. And another actress named Diana Rigg, I wonder whatever happened to her?

A lot of the actresses that are so highly thought of now, spent a lot of time early in their careers with their kit off. I'm sure they were told it was all for the role.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #973706 07/09/19 10:48 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
25. SECRETS OF THE SINISTER HOUSE. Co-sign FC 100%.

26. OUR ARMY.

27. GANG BUSTERS. The ? bag! Also the way the guy fills space -- see Star Sapphire above.

28. WCA. I don't like the floating heads either, but the slightly blurred? (maybe not as sharply focused is a better way to say it) cats against the black is GREAT. This is one that I see and always think IF ONLY THEY HAD JUST GONE WITH PATSY AND GREER. (I'm OK with the silly title. It is a comic book.)

I would have put a lil VWM on Maggie Smith popping up next, but looks like it's Eartha Kitt?

Thriftshop Debutante #973708 07/09/19 11:00 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
29. NEW MUTANTS vs. SPARKLING STARS

30. THE PUNISHER vs. DAREDEVIL

31. NEXUS vs. TALENT SHOWCASE

32. HOUSE OF MYSTERY vs. CASPER

Thriftshop Debutante #973760 07/10/19 09:54 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
29. Punching, exciting. Love the Yippee Yahoo Club but the hat is falling wrong. NM: well, at least it has good background coloring. And Catseye is so dang weird-looking (a plus). NEW MUTANTS I guess. Another "what would Sienkiewicz have done"?

30. DAREDEVIL. Like the body language on the 2 characters -- adds a lot. What's the deal with Punisher? Does that have anything to do with the story?

31. NEXUS. The technique of the pencilled (?) part looks good, but as a cover it doesn't pull together. Better than those awkward figures on TS though.

32. CASPER. Blue ox!

Thriftshop Debutante #973761 07/10/19 09:56 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
33. DOCTOR STRANGE vs. MIGHTY THOR

34. STAR COMICS vs. FEATURE FUNNIES

35. ANGEL vs. SUGAR AND SPIKE

36. PHANTOM STRANGER vs. THE WITCHING HOUR

Thriftshop Debutante #973791 07/11/19 04:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
29. Yeah, I saw Arizona at the Yippie Yahoo Club. She was in...quite a state.....

>ahem< Sparkling Stars wins for having a respectable level of purple on its cover.

30. Daredevil for having thematic scenery.

31. Nexus wins for the lovely art, even though there's not much going on. The comet couple thing was done in Miracleman. "Join with the past and the present for a journey into the future," as we travel with the immortal Detective Chimp into the next Legion series.

32. Casper gets my vote to replace Phantom Girl in the new Legion line up. He's more effective here than she's been in years. But he doesn't get the win as that goes to crazed guy killing his shadow. Weird concept helped by finding a nicely uniform wall to act as a good background to the central image.

33. Doctor Strange. I guess. I think I'm supposed to know that's a villain's head superimposed over his. Thor tempts me to fold the cover and that would break the monitor.

34. Although I'm currently penning the adult adventures of Archie O'Toole, it's a win for Star comics due to chimney renditions and cute doggy. Jokes are utterly forgettable on both.

35. Sugar and Spike for calling him doll boy. Tee hee. Angel could have just jumped and pressed that bell. Weeks in stilt carpentry class wasted.

36. Arbitrary Genie ruins the Witching Hour. Traditionally the curse is connected with the wish. Here, it's just random. "Yes I will grant you world peace.... but ... all the geraniums in the world *must* die!" Stuck too long in a lamp, mate. An easy win for Phantom Stranger, helped by lovely art and a nod to classic Mystery of the Wax Museum. I noticed Phants in the background. That's the most animated he's been in quite a while.

Thriftshop Debutante #973800 07/12/19 03:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
29. Sparkling Stars - guys in tuxedos duking it out. Where's Gentleman Ghost? Also name of the club. Looks like Arizona wants to leave the joint.

30. Daredevil - better than receding gums.

31. Talent Showcase - can't say I particularly like it, but it's more mysterious than Nexus.

32. House of Mystery - a green shadow? tell me more.

33. Mighty Thor - for the sideways cover.

34. Feature Funnies - How did they even think that was a good idea? Lots of other characters to possibly salvage the book.

35. Sugar & Spike - Doll-boy! and origin story! Why doesn't Angel just knock?

36. Witching Hour - good hair action & important lesson to be learned. Of course, if you're rich, couldn't plastic surgery fix that face? I do like the scared woman on Phantom Stranger, though. And she thinks the scary stuff is in front of her!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #973818 07/12/19 09:51 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
33. DOCTOR STRANGE. Both strong though!

34. FEATURE FUNNIES. Wackier. Stronger overall package. Both are Golden Age but not exactly comedy gold.

35. SUGAR AND SPIKE of course!

36. PHANTOM STRANGER.Because of the background figures and shadows.

Thriftshop Debutante #973819 07/12/19 09:52 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
37. KATY KEENE vs. FREDDY

38. FANTASTIC COMICS vs. INFINITY INC

39. METAMORPHO vs. PROMETHEA

40. GI JOE SPECIAL MISSIONS vs. SIMPSONS COMICS

Thriftshop Debutante #973853 07/13/19 07:40 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
37. FREDDY because it makes less sense.

38. INFINITY INC for over-the-topness.

39. PROMETHEA. Bubbles!

40. GI JOE.

Fat Cramer #973883 07/14/19 11:55 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
37. Freddy. I guess. It follows the comic cover trend of a couple being too love sick to notice anything around them. The other cover does look as though it might have a fatality. That usually gets it points from me. It also hints that the two are rivals for Katy. But it's not very clear. Both Katy and bystander *want* to warn Randy. But they can only communicate in thought bubbles! The horror of comics!

38. Samson. Infinity looks staged and Fury doesn't seem to be even fighting Mr Bones. She might be trashing an apartment on his behalf. Perhaps Mr Bones is the hero, and is stopping Fury? No idea, but they're not connecting in the image. Samson and sidekick seem to do a lot of connecting. But it gets the win for Flip Falcon who I laways image wearing a bird outfit and making obscene finger gestures to villains.

39. Promethea. The Fury in this cover is better than the Infinity cover one. But is something rising from Metamorpho? Going into him? Promethea has less going on, and none of it particularly subtle. But it wins for having the issue number in a bubble.

40. Simpsons. A win for sheer personal hatred and meanness. Can't see the to guys surviving this cover unless.... whew... comic book physics!

Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
32. House of Mystery - a green shadow? tell me more.

Well since you asked.

It's well known that The Green Mitten didn't find controlling his nascent powers easy. It took months of testing and experimentation in those early months (oddly mirroring the genre shifts needed to get a sales boost). One tragic accident resulted in him erasing the physical body of Kent Cranston in their first team up. Cranston would, of course, return as the Emerald Shade and that's where their long enmity comes from, even as they both fight crime. This issue looks to be an attempt by the Shade to get revenge by driving the Mitten mad, thinking himself haunted by his own shadow, the dark side of Mitten Power!

Thriftshop Debutante #973901 07/14/19 04:59 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
41. MACHINE MAN vs. MOON KNIGHT

42. ADVENTURES OF THE FLY vs. VENUS

43. CHAMBER OF CHILLS vs. SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING

44. GHOSTS vs. MONSTER HUNTERS

Thriftshop Debutante #973991 07/16/19 07:02 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
41.MOON KNIGHT.

42. VENUS. The Fly looks off-brand.

43. CHAMBER OF CHILLS. Bright colorful horror! I think I'd like Swampy more if the comedy/tragedy masks were more randomly placed, and if they were a bright color (or two)

44. GHOSTS. Great overall package, includes colors. Over on the right the Monster being Hunted has to tell us it's SCCAREEEE. Thank you for your input, Harold.

Thriftshop Debutante #973993 07/16/19 07:16 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
45. A DISTANT SOIL vs. ANIMOSITY

46. TEEN-AGE ROMANCES vs. AQUAMAN

47. BETTY AND ME vs. BIG TOWN

48. WEIRD FANTASY vs. DAFFY

Thriftshop Debutante #974023 07/17/19 09:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
37. Freddy - for the hearts and how stupid is the red-head to dunk the girl in the ice water? Or does he hate them both?

38. Infinity - by default, since Fantastic just looks creepy in this day and age.

39. Promethea - unusual colour scheme works well and dream-like. I do like the melting stone on Metamorpho.

40. Simpsons - thuggy-looking smoking females and I figure Homer will survive somehow, so no harm done. Just a big joke.

41. Moon Knight - would have been even better if the title had taken up less space.

42. Venus - there's a whole lot going on, none of it good. Bloodless, though. And nice red dress on Blondie, good skirt flare for dancing and fighting gargoyles.

43. Chills - the floating masks aren't that interesting. Chills has nice use of the "darling".

44. Ghosts - better creepy image. Monster Hunters' sails would never behave like that in those conditions, but the monster makes me laugh. Is it saying "Sscaareee"? If you have to tell them you're scary, you're probably not. I'd worry more about that big mainsail gybing and hitting someone on the head.

45. Animosity - lovely cover, despite threat of violence. Distant Soil figures are interesting but I find the background clashing.

46. Aquaman - hilarious.

47. Big Town - Body snatchers? Drugs? Hypnosis? Betty would be funnier if it were Betty rescuing Archie and beating off three girls.

48. Weird Fantasy - "at least take me to Saturn" - what does he know that NASA doesn't?

And thanks for the history of Mitten Power.... smile

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #974035 07/17/19 01:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
45. Animosity. I should give some credit to A Distant Soil for it's creator owned pedigree. But it's another pretentious cover. None of those two have put in a shift down the pit! Animosity connects the age old partnership between man and mutt in the wider universe that touches them both. Now all he has to do is drop the gun and face the bears on equal footing, or pawing.

46. Now we're cooking! George should totally leave her to it. That will let his companion have more time to try on more dresses for Mr Baker to draw. His sister has clearly become a cheap tart. You can tell that just from the bowtie her boyfriend has. All depraved good time dope fiends have bow ties. Just look at the LSD Adventures of Olsen! The whole of Legion history is just a trippy adventure in his mind!

I Am Curious: Amphibian. Arthur gets his Wonder Woman exploration issue. Poor Mera. As a woman, whatever will she do at the bottom of the sea without her man around? Doomed, doomed... oh she's moved on and doesn't have to put up with monthly disasters...um...

Torn between Baker art and wacky Silver Age idea... Aquaman wins. Baker will have another cover along in a minute that's just as good.

47. Big Town wins so I can avoid making obvious jokes. Despite their flimsy gags, I do wonder what's going on. I bet the townsfolk think it's all for a movie. Or they've been mind controlled... by Space Sirens!

48. A week later on Saturn...
Astronaut: Whew! Abandoned... but safe. At least for a few decades until astronomy news catches up with comic book writers.
Arrival: Hi! You're new to Saturn aren't you?! I'm J'Emm! You could say I'm the Son of Saturn. But I was almost the Son of Mars! Let me tell you all about it in a mind numbingly dull 12 issues!
Astronaut: No...no! Don't leave me floating out here in Saturn's atmosphere! Please! At least take me out into space and leave me there to die!

Still. Rocket+astronaut+space=win for Weird Fantasy

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,837
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legionnaire Extroadinnaire
Legionnaire Extroadinnaire
Flying through Space Quadrant 5
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star