Roll Call
0 members (), 87 Murran Spies, and 390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/01/24 10:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Sixteens Chapel!
Thriftshop Debutante #974048 07/17/19 09:20 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
45. ANIMOSITY. Starfield gonna win over Thin White Duke impersonator.

46. AQUAMAN. You can never go wrong with MATT BAKER!! art, but Aquaman brings top-flight Silver Age Silliness.

47. Some early appearances of pink kryptonite. BIG TOWN. CONFIDENTIAL TO FC: Did you see Thor Ragnarok? "Oh my god, the hammer pulled you off?"

48. DAFFY. Right to the point!

Thriftshop Debutante #974050 07/17/19 09:31 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Hey where's Thothy's insights for 40-44?

Thriftshop Debutante #974051 07/17/19 09:41 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
49. TESSIE vs. WILLIE

click to enlarge click to enlarge

50. DIARY SECRETS vs. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT

51. LOVELORN vs. YOUNG LOVERS

52. EXTREME JUSTICE vs. ROMANTIC SECRETS

Thriftshop Debutante #974059 07/18/19 03:55 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
49. Willie - not terribly funny, but nice image. Tessie looks stiff and it's sad that she's been romancing a picture of some guy for 6 months.

50. Diary Secrests - very appealingly drawn, the hair, the folds in the clothes, the expressions. Don't know about the yellow socks, but that double life looks pretty good.

51. Lovelorn - she'll probably land in the potato salad, but sharing a coke looks more cheap than romantic. I like the entwined fingers on Lovelorn.

52. Extreme Justice - better colouring, more detailed artwork but I can't quite figure out the fleshy part in the bottom left. Is there a third party involved or is she a contortionist?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #974102 07/18/19 11:13 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
49. WILLIE is pretty charming. I really like the night sky over the beach. The kids are cute. The line of hearts!

50. DIARY SECRETS. Love the casualness (fella there is an OG of kicking back.) LATS also quality, but DS has that MATT BAKER oomph!

51. LOVELORN! Check out that very satisfied body language on Miss Lady there! I do NOT like the other one. Cloying, obvious. No.

52 Tricky one, this. I really like the art style of EJ and can maybe overlook the odd bottom left bit which I think is partially a coloring mistake. Maxima's getting more subtle! RS better on the complete package, but I'm going to give it to EXTREME JUSTICE.

Thriftshop Debutante #974103 07/18/19 11:16 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
53. DETECTIVE COMICS vs. PHANTOM LADY

54. ATARI FORCE vs. SAMURAI JACK

55. THE QUESTION vs. X-FACTOR

56. BULLETMAN vs. WOW COMICS

thoth lad #974104 07/19/19 12:25 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
48. A week later on Saturn...
Astronaut: Whew! Abandoned... but safe. At least for a few decades until astronomy news catches up with comic book writers.
Arrival: Hi! You're new to Saturn aren't you?! I'm J'Emm! You could say I'm the of Saturn. But I was almost the Son of Mars! Let me tell you all about it in a mind numbingly dull 12 issues!
Astronaut: No...no! Don't leave me floating out here in Saturn's atmosphere! Please! At least take me out into space and leave me there to die!

Still. Rocket+astronaut+space=win for Weird Fantasy

In an AU it's Drunk Brainy.

Thriftshop Debutante #974175 07/21/19 04:14 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Fah! Not an ounce of Angst in these....

49. Tessie for the length of time she's been like that and the comic book visual of having her literally walking on air in lurve.

50. Dear Diary Secrets. I led a double life. Some days I didn't wear sickening lemon socks...but sickening peach socks! How can I return to my family now?! Diary Secrets wins because I always have a problem with that font over on Sove at First Sight. It also gets the win for the better view in the background.

51. Hmmm. Despite the logo, I have to give a win to Sovelorn for the stretching hands of contentment and the nice view in the background. Young Lovers could only look older if Giffen drew them. Rubbish caption on it too.

52. Tepid Romantic Secrets wins because the guy isn't severing his arms off with ridiculous '90s metal shoulder pads.

53. Detective Comics. Classic logo and grim, gritty, determined action. A moment for Gatling Gower there on the cover. He's been shot, but he's going to fall right under that police bike, allowing his comrades to get away. If I want Phantom Lady to narrate a story, I'll get an audio book.

54. Tazlings! that was an easy win... Sure the other cover has a decent uniform colouring to it. But let me just take you to every cultist meeting ever, so we can listen to the high priest "Right everyone. Thanks for coming. And good to see so many freshly washed cloaks after our chat last month. Now, if you could all just look to the back. That's where this month's nosy, intruding hero will be trying to infiltrate us. Yes, that's the one. With the hunch, and the tendency for lurking. Not even trying to fit in."

55. "When you said I was joining a book with a giant cast, I thought you meant it would be a team book." The Question wins for anticipating the rise of first person shooters, or ripping off Captain Scarlet. X-Factor takes a few moments to latch onto faces.

56. I'd love to give them both victories. Great pun on Bulletman. Will we find out the secret to the mystery or will it be like an elephant in the ro...oh, never mind. But Mary's got an ark! With animals! And it's going to the Moon! Bang! Zoom! To the Moon! The art is better on Marvel too, so it's a Win for Wow! and a story with that classic sense of fun and wonder.

Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante
Hey where's Thothy's insights for 40-44?

I was waiting for something insightful to say, but I've just got these crayon scratchings on the cave wall...again...

41. Moon Knight. Those smoke arcs grab the eye and following one take you up to Moon Knight. Nicely done. Colours and action combine well with a big, unusual logo placement. Machine Man Mean Meandering Musings, an Alliteration Ailment Seemingly Suffered Seriously by this Scribe.

42. Both are weirdly interesting. It's good to see Fly Girl before her modern age team up with B-Boy. Having the heroes as murderous alien invaders is a switch. The Gargoyles on Venus (not to be confused with The Gargoyles From Venus - Mildly Thrilling #83) are suitably grotesque. There's a guy on the floor who has clearly been dedded, and they've dialled it back to get past the code. The captive lady hasn't been carried off in a classic monster movie pose either. Venus gets the win. The alien world on The Fly looks geometrically interesting, but doesn't seem to have much of a night life.

43. Chamber of Chills. The punchline has been used endlessly in comics, but at least it connects it with a story. Swamp Thing might be stuck at a particularly poor amateur theatre production for all I know.

44 Typing of endlessly used images, Swamp Thing seems to have a lot of people seeing shapes in the mist from boats. So, I get a sort of jaded feeling from seeing this. But it is suitably eerie and mistily mysterious. But Monster Hunter gets the win. That's now ordinary critter they're facing. The artist is confident enough not to need some mist to cover this up. I want to read it just to see why they think harpoons are going to make a difference. Maybe the monster collects them and is willing to trade?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #974191 07/21/19 11:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
53. Phantom Lady - She'd probably have the same reaction to a mouse, but I love the curls and barely-there gown. The hands are not well drawn. Maybe Detective Comics should win, even though that guy is going to fall out of the car and cause the cop to lose control of the motorcycle.

54. Samuai Jack - We've seen this sort of cover fairly often, but Jack's face is good. Just don't like the look of the Tazling.

55. The Question - I'm a sucker for The Question, so those covers will probably always win. Facing two guns in the cheting part of town - what's making his scarf float when the cloth on the line is just hanging there?

56. Wow Comics - that's just nuts. And there's only one of each animal, except for rabbits, a species known for its reproductive difficulties. And is that Lying Cat behind the zebra? Ark to the Moon - Lying!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #974218 07/21/19 05:52 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
53. Ludicrous Wertham bait either way. PHANTOM LADY extra ludicrous.

54. ATARI FORCE. I like the very clear ATTACK. But in 2D the lil shadow characters' hats look like....

55. Eek. THE QUESTION I suppose.

56. WOW COMICS of course! The Bulletman elephant is excellent though.

Thriftshop Debutante #974219 07/21/19 05:54 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
57. AGE OF BRONZE vs. POWERS

58. THE MARVEL FAMILY vs. ZOT

59. VIGILANTE vs. FLASH COMICS

60. SUPER FRIENDS vs. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA

Thriftshop Debutante #974248 07/22/19 11:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
57. Powers - a bit more cartoony art, but I like it. Bold colours.

58. Marvel Family - go ahead and punch 'em Mary! Not a fan of simians.

59. Vigilante - much more dynamic and great headlight effect. Stupid kid will probably complain that Flash didn't rescue her ball as well.

60. Super Friends - even if there is a monkey. Footless aliens with a spiffy spaceship. Stealing the sky? Why? Sounds like a line from a John Denver song. The bubbles on JLA are ok and the organ in the cave is delightfully corny but the Super Friends plot promise wins.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #974274 07/22/19 11:08 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
57. AGE OF BRONZE for the colors!

58. THE MARVEL FAMILY. Hey, getting all huffy is X-TREMEZ!! for these good kids

59. VIGILANTE. This is a pretty common cover scenario but the lights are pretty impressive. Flash is post-climactic.

60. NUTTY ALL AROUND. Despite the fact that SF is SPACE-NUTTY and I think that cube is a visual riddle, I gotta go with the Silver Age Nutty Bubbles of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.

Thriftshop Debutante #974275 07/22/19 11:09 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
61. LITTLE LOTTA vs. UNITED COMICS (FRITZI RITZ)

62. JUMBO COMICS vs. MARVEL COMICS

63. BOY COMICS vs. BLACK HOOD

64. ACTION GIRL vs. UNCANNY X-MEN

Thriftshop Debutante #974278 07/23/19 04:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
61. Fritzi Ritz - inventive take on the Carmen Miranda hat, as opposed to literal Lotta (and non-PC fat jokes?).

62. Marvel Mystery - Human Torch more impressive than The Lightning. Plus Nazis! And The Vision - is that the original version of today's Vision?

63. Black Hood - a death-defying moment from disaster. Dramatic. The other cover is static and the silly monkey undermines the threat.

64. Action Girl - don't know this book but like the newspaper strip look and the wink.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #974335 07/24/19 02:09 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
57. Age of Bronze. The posture indicates something is going on, which is more than can be said for the two starey faces in Powers.

58. Are we not men?! No! We are Devoes! Marvel still gets the win, as Jr has clearly set this all up and Cap is too emotionally immature to do anything but go in the huff.

59. Flash. Mainly because the Vigilante has been taken by surprise by an express train that has huge lights and has been sounding a horn for two minutes. That mask must be thick around the ears.

Alien: We will steal the sky!
Blue Monkey: You mean the atmosphere?
Alien: um... The Sky! We will steal the...
Blue Monkey: Yeah, I caught that. But is there a particular element that you need? Perhaps we could help?
Alien: No! It is the sky we want! The sky!
Blue Monkey: Even your comic book science is rubbish isn't it?

So, it's an easy win for the JLoA with its *credible* comic book science of ensnaring bubbles launched form an organ (Note to self: Ask Legion Tracker if he has one of these). It wins as the heroes are shown trying to get out of them, even if it's pointless. Atom also get a little bubble.

61. Little Lotta. For the well intentioned birthday gift that is misinterpreted. The other cover was pretty decent though.

62. Marvel. I quite like the perspectives for both of these. But the torch is has a nice arc and gets points for the imminent explosions. Fun seeing the GA Marvel characters.

63. Boy Comics. There's to much going on from evil scientist, through armour and damsel fainting to superheroes and pets. But the art is more detailed, and the Black Hood seems to be contortionist to be holding the pose he's on in that cover.

64. Action girl wins with a wink. Is that a magneto statue? Are we supposed to think of him with blood on his hands (head). I just wonder how he got his head into the helmet that tight in the first place.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #974346 07/24/19 08:13 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
65. X-MEN vs. COPRA

66. MYSTERY IN SPACE vs. STAR HUNTERS

67. WORLD OF FANTASY vs. ALL-AMERICAN COMICS

68. RIP HUNTER vs. SECRETS OF THE HAUNTED HOUSE

Thriftshop Debutante #974370 07/25/19 11:53 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
65. X-Men. I was never impressed with the bulky misery of the Master Mold. but that was before I got introduced to other people's elderly relatives. *Now* the downturned mouth makes sense. "Sentinels. Always getting beaten up. What a disappointment." That hand eternally outreached for the remote control it craves in order to watch its soaps. Copra takes an image of someone standing in rubble and messes around with it. Confussing.

66. Misery in Space. When this came out, people stopped what they were doing to read it. Surgery, air traffic controllers, everyone. All because of the sensational "I Snogged in the Asteroid Belt!" story that revolutionised romantic space opera with a dose of science horror. The lady over in Star Hunters is faking that swoon.

67. World of Delusion: No! No! Not There! You Can't Take Me In There! Not the Image Comics '90s Memorial Museum! Elsewhere, Alan has seen the crook a mile off, but has still chosen to land in front of the machine gun.

68. RIP Hunter... Time Master. Next issue:... what next issue?! Didn't you see the Black Knight on the cover. Don't you know he *hated* having to come across form Marvel to do this. Those guys are finished, just like the man said. Next issue indeed. Secrets has a nice plane and passenger, but the sky looks as much like a sea he's crashed into.

Thriftshop Debutante #974399 07/26/19 03:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
65. Copra - simplicity of the two colours, stepping out of the rubble, peculiar power is mysterious; X-Men a more traditional superhero cover.

66. Mystery in Space - it just makes me laugh (as did Misery in Space), although there's a lot more dynamic motion on Star Hunters.

67. World of Fantasy - better story and 2000 AD joke potential.

68. Rip Hunter - like the starship logo. Clearly a time travel story, or a deluded cosplayer. Anyone carrying a scythe should be required to wear a hooded cloak.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Thriftshop Debutante #974462 07/26/19 09:46 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
61. LITTLE LOTTA. Cute!

62. MARVEL MYSTERY. Accurate or not, when I think of GA Human Torch covers, I tend to think "samey". But I can't deny that black smoke is a great effect. PS to Cramer: the modern version of the Vision is on that cover -- red and flamey.

63. BOY COMICS. Sharper art. Like Thothy, I can't sign off on BH's positioning.

64. I'm going to say ACTION GIRL. I do wonder if the X-Cover would be more meaningful if I was following the story? I have some vague feeling it's some kind of reveal (that Mags is back, or he was the one behind something, etc) but I have no clue.

65. X-MEN. 100% because of the colors. The right amount of TOO MUCH.

66. STAR HUNTERS for colors again, although these are both 'meh' for me. I wouldn't really be interested in either.

67. WORLD OF FANTASY.

68. RIP HUNTER. The other is nicely weird, but the is-it-air-or-sea thing bugs.

Thriftshop Debutante #974542 07/27/19 09:58 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
69. MY GREATEST ADVENTURE vs. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES

70. X-STATIX vs. METAL MEN

71. JUSTICE vs. OUTSIDERS

72. THE LOSERS vs. TRANSMETROPOLITAN

Thriftshop Debutante #974564 07/28/19 12:14 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
69. My Greatest Adventure. They have a thing. It's going to escape or it's a dark secret. The cover could start a number of stories. The Legion cover is too on the nose that someone is dedded. It's the end of one story. Incidentally, it's not my greatest adventure. It's that guys' greatest adventure. *My* Greatest Adventure is a completely different book.

70. Metal Men. These days the cover would have them all in blister packs selling for stupid prices. It gets the win because it's the cover that launched the idea behind Toy Story. X-Statix loses because of their failure to understand the basic rules of darts.

71. Justice. I bought the issue based on the cover. Admittedly from a rummage store and I had picked up 1 earlier issue that I had liked. By this point, Captain Marvel Mage Justice is a gloomy vigilante over on our Earth moidering crooks. This might be the issue that had a supporting character who used her time based powers to help the police on murder scenes. She sees things she wasn't supposed to. Note that despite all the gloomy death in the issue, the cover shows it's health and safety credentials by having a flame bar at the bottom. Elsewhere, introducing Dazzler Jade in a cover that I didn't buy. Bright enough to stand out on a gloomily lit comic shop.

72. Losers. have they protected the fictional characters' identities but then given a few surnames on the bottom left? Ah well, intelligence services were always oxymorons. Transmet doesn't say anything other than it having a frat party mentality.

Thriftshop Debutante #974581 07/28/19 05:19 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
69. MY GREATEST ADVENTURE.

70. METAL MEN. Say, have there been figs of the MM?

71. OUTSIDERS which I did buy. I did not buy or read any issue of Justice (it may or may not be true that I bought a few issues of Spitfire and the Troublewhatevers) and I am not familiar with the character. Is he fighting fire with...some random energy? How does that work?

72. LOSERS. Okay, it tells you this is a political thriller vein, albeit one with a redaction problem. No idea what's going on on Transmet. I read it for awhile about 20 years ago and have NO recollection of anything that happened in the book.

Thriftshop Debutante #974582 07/28/19 05:21 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
73. SPACE WAR vs. POWER PACK

74. SWAMP THING vs. THE DEMON

75. JEANIE vs. OZARK IKE

76. THIRTEEN vs. MOPSY

Thriftshop Debutante #974583 07/28/19 05:24 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
77. FORCE WORKS vs. SOUTHERN KNIGHTS

78. BATMAN vs. ASTRO CITY

79. BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHTS vs. BLACK TERROR

80. V vs. VAULT OF HORROR

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,839
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star