Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 32 Murran Spies, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #9 - Preview and Spoilers
Nightcrawler #992815 09/28/20 11:40 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Only two of them appeared briefly in the first issue. Of that only one of those two got any significant lines.

The rest have just been background fixtures. frown

Nightcrawler #992816 09/28/20 11:45 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
That's super-disappointing. frown

Nightcrawler #992817 09/28/20 11:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You guys realize it's been a year since the new Legion debuted? For some reason I find that incredibly sad.

Nightcrawler #992823 09/28/20 02:22 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
This is extremely disappointing frown

Nightcrawler #992830 09/28/20 04:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Only two of them appeared briefly in the first issue. Of that only one of those two got any significant lines.

The rest have just been background fixtures. frown

This entire CONCEPT is one giant background fixture.

Nightcrawler #992844 09/29/20 04:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
And certainly much less well-executed than the Atom Girl thing in the Threeboot. When Vi finally showed up, she played a key role in the battle AND had a good explanation for why she'd been absent so far.

Sadly, I doubt that Bendis can come up with something like that for Green Skeleton Girl or this version of Vi... or even Invisible Kid.

Nightcrawler #992848 09/29/20 06:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Okay guys since it's Tuesday that means DC books are available to buy and I can fully talk about this.

Jacques Foccart is Invisible Kid, but he's now from the planet Kit-Son.

Timber Wolf's homeworld of Zunn is an ecological wasteland.

Mon-El punches General Nah during the trial and at one point screams about how he is "KRYPTONIAN PRIME" before flying off. Colossal Boy actually hopes Mon-El quit because he's so exhausting.

Ayla's still Lightning Lass and is referred to as such.

Dream Girl reveals a "GREAT DARKNESS" is coming and that's why General Nah wanted the Aquaman trident, as he's gathering other elements to prepare.

White Witch is Xola Aq, she's studied under five tutors, and she's Mordru's daughter.

The issue ends with Saturn Girl and Superboy kissing, but frankly I'm more disgusted by them using Mitch Gerads art for that page.

Nightcrawler #992850 09/29/20 09:17 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer

Bendis sure likes to contradict his own writing and stories as much as the previous writers. I guess it's not hypocritical. I actually prefer and am more intrigued by a Xola Aq than a Mysa Nal. And Mon-El being Superboy's descendant adds more to the story than a random Daxamite. Jacques makes more sense than Lyle. Lightning Lass is more interesting than Light Lass. I just wish they thought of all of this before they started.

I also preferred Lightning Lad to Lightning Boy and Star Boy with mass inducing powers rather than another Superboy knock-off, so... But this book is in desperate need of an editor to help focus the creative team and add some consistency.

More voices are getting heard these last two issues. I know we hoped for all of them to get a spotlight, but it's a start in the right direction. And we've definitely added a new unknown Legionnaire to the roster -
[Linked Image from legionofsuper-heroes.com] to go along with [Linked Image from legionofsuper-heroes.com]

I hope we get to find out who they are sooner than later.

Despite all of the contradictions. I really like this Legion visually and their potential. The proof is on how much I desperately want to know and see more. Here's to hoping I get my wish.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 10/02/20 08:47 PM.
Nightcrawler #992851 09/29/20 09:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Guys bear with me a moment, because this is coming from my position as a white person so it might be skewed. But.

This just occurred to me earlier today, but for as much as I was wary about the ramifications around Ayla's circumstances, does it bother anyone else that in THIS continuity the Ranzzes are Black and yet they're now living in a cramped, inner city apartment?

Also, with Bendis pushing

Saturn Girl and Superboy together, while Imra has been known to have an attraction to guys besides Garth in other continuities, I don't think I've seen a single instance of any sort of romantic interest between Imra and Garth in this continuity. And yet now Garth's Black. Huh.

If I'm wrong about any of this please correct me, because I want to talk about this more in-depth for an article I'd like to do about Bendis's Legion and why this series has been so awful.

Nightcrawler #992852 09/29/20 09:57 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Rokk and Imra almost got married in the Reboot. Levitz retconned that Imra and Rokk slept together shortly after the formation of the Legion. Timber Wolf and Imra had a "moment" just before the Great Darkness saga. In the Silver Age Supergirl tried to hook Superman and Saturn Woman up.

If the Ranzzes lived on a farm away from everyone then they'd less likely be activists fighting with the forced relocation of aliens on their world as the attrocities wouldn't be in their face and real to them.

I'm not saying Bendis doesn't have any faults, but you could get offended by anything or everything if you looked hard enough.

Nightcrawler #992853 09/29/20 10:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
No I know Imra's had an attraction to other guys, like who could forget that entire thing between her and Rokk in the Reboot. But in all the other continuities there was still an attraction to Garth. The fact that it doesn't seem to exist between them at all after Bendis made Garth Black in this continuity just, it-it doesn't feel like Bendis or the editors thought out how it'd look.

I mean, I know how me pointing it out looks and this is kinda opening a can of worms, but how much longer do we say "wait and see how it plays out" when it's been a year?

Nightcrawler #992854 09/29/20 10:44 AM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
I have a random theory on the skeleton guy. Maybe he's a 1000 year-old Mr. Bones. I mean, if Rose Forrest can live for over 1000 years, why not a mutant with invisible, corrosive skin? That would also explain the protective suit. Maybe over the centuries, Mr. Bones' skin became progressively more radioactive.

Watching television is not an activity.
Nightcrawler #992855 09/29/20 10:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I swear you don't know what I would give for that to be true, because at least it'd be *A* origin story when there's literally nothing on this character.

Nightcrawler #992857 09/29/20 11:21 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer

I kind of liked the Gim-as-Micro-Lad-esque spin on Invisible Kid here. Though I'm not sure how being invisible also makes him Praetor Lemnos, but it's still cool.

It's nice that we're finally getting a feel of at least a few of these Legionnaires as distinct personalities. The contrast between those Legionnaires who joined to protect the U.P., and those who joined to challenge it is an interesting one in principle, but we'll see if it goes anywhere interesting.

I also liked the contrast between Doctor Fate and the White Witch.

The "Charles Foster Taine" name just seemed like a cheesy pun. Is this the first time we've seen it?

I'm still not sure what the whole point of the trial was, but whatever.

And, "The Great Darkness", huh? Plenty of reason to be skeptical about Bendis rehashing one of the most classic Legion stories.

Sarcasm Kid #992858 09/29/20 12:23 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Guys bear with me a moment, because this is coming from my position as a white person so it might be skewed. But.

This just occurred to me earlier today, but for as much as I was wary about the ramifications around Ayla's circumstances, does it bother anyone else that in THIS continuity the Ranzzes are Black and yet they're now living in a cramped, inner city apartment?

Yes but I'm giving it time to make sense but sadly I forgot about that situation because other situations seemed more disappointing.

No I know Imra's had an attraction to other guys, like who could forget that entire thing between her and Rokk in the Reboot. But in all the other continuities there was still an attraction to Garth. The fact that it doesn't seem to exist between them at all after Bendis made Garth Black in this continuity just, it-it doesn't feel like Bendis or the editors thought out how it'd look.

I mean, I know how me pointing it out looks and this is kinda opening a can of worms, but how much longer do we say "wait and see how it plays out" when it's been a year?

~3 more issues to go for a "normal" comic year. In fairness I thought I've heard Bendis didn't want to read older versions because he wanted his own take on them and new relationships blah blah blah ? This might just be part of that and temporary optics.

I'd figure the Saturn Girl / Jon relationship will be short lived and Darkseid could open the door to the Lightning Lad/Saturn Girl relationship and Validus smile

Originally Posted by Malvolio
I have a random theory on the skeleton guy. Maybe he's a 1000 year-old Mr. Bones. I mean, if Rose Forrest can live for over 1000 years, why not a mutant with invisible, corrosive skin? That would also explain the protective suit. Maybe over the centuries, Mr. Bones' skin became progressively more radioactive.

He could've absorbed it after the "heroes past" fallout or failure mentioned in this issue, I like it.

Nightcrawler #992862 09/29/20 01:40 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester

The "Charles Foster Taine" name just seemed like a cheesy pun. Is this the first time we've seen it?

I have to look up exactly where, but I am positive this was introduced in the Reboot.

One thing I do appreciate about Bendis is his call-backs and Easter Eggs like this.

Sarcasm Kid #992863 09/29/20 01:45 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

I'm Asian and not Black... that said, I come from a developing Asian country and the Ranzzes joy at getting off Winath and on Earth resonated strongly with me.

I honestly don't know if this should be bothersome, and perhaps I am also not the best person to give input on this. What if Cos had been Black and Garth & Ayla had been Asian? The whole "yay, we made it off Winath!" bit would still have resonated as strongly with me.

As it is, on initial reading, the whole "let's get off world" and the cramped inner city apartment bit, made sense to me considering Winath is (I assume) an agrarian world rather than, say, a world built on services or cutting-edge tech.

Nightcrawler #992864 09/29/20 01:47 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I have to look up exactly where, but I am positive this was introduced in the Reboot.

One thing I do appreciate about Bendis is his call-backs and Easter Eggs like this.

Yeah, it actually kind of sounds like something from the reboot. The silliness of it would've been less incongruous there.

Nightcrawler #992866 09/29/20 02:42 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Not to belabor the point of inconsistencies, but just two issues ago we were told that Wildfire was initially rejected because his powers duplicated other members. I mean... Cos does utter the line about already having a fire guy, but I'm not really seeing anything in his audition scene here that fits with that.

Nightcrawler #992867 09/29/20 02:52 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Well people always said that all this continuity was what was keeping people from reading comics anymore. Just too hard to keep track of everything.

We now have a series that makes everything all-new issue to issue.

Invisible Brainiac #992868 09/29/20 03:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I'm Asian and not Black... that said, I come from a developing Asian country and the Ranzzes joy at getting off Winath and on Earth resonated strongly with me.

I honestly don't know if this should be bothersome, and perhaps I am also not the best person to give input on this. What if Cos had been Black and Garth & Ayla had been Asian? The whole "yay, we made it off Winath!" bit would still have resonated as strongly with me.

As it is, on initial reading, the whole "let's get off world" and the cramped inner city apartment bit, made sense to me considering Winath is (I assume) an agrarian world rather than, say, a world built on services or cutting-edge tech.

No hon you're good, thank you for your input. I want to hear from you guys about this.

Nightcrawler #992872 09/29/20 04:43 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
coolio, thanks smile

Well people always said that all this continuity was what was keeping people from reading comics anymore. Just too hard to keep track of everything.

i wonder how much of this is due to Bendis trying too hard to fit such a large cast in. I mean, the Threeboot started with a cast of about 20... but they introduced the Legionnaires slowly, in smaller groups, focusing on personality traits instead of throwing in tons of backstory details. Bendis did the opposite, cramming all 30+ Legionnaires into every page. Bit off more than he could chew?

Invisible Brainiac #992874 09/29/20 05:39 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
i wonder how much of this is due to Bendis trying too hard to fit such a large cast in. I mean, the Threeboot started with a cast of about 20... but they introduced the Legionnaires slowly, in smaller groups, focusing on personality traits instead of throwing in tons of backstory details. Bendis did the opposite, cramming all 30+ Legionnaires into every page. Bit off more than he could chew?

I agree that starting with so many characters wasn't a great idea, but all it takes is a good story bible to prevent inconsistencies like this. Get a nice folder with a page for each character, keep lists of things that have been definitely established about them, more lists of things you plan on establishing about them later, etc. This seems like pretty basic Writing 101 these days.

Nightcrawler #992878 09/29/20 06:23 PM
Active
Active

I have to agree with this statement! smile

I'm happy (and relieved) to say that this issues was a bright spot for me for this iteration of the Legion. I don't know if it was the classic DC Special of the 70's and 80's feel that I got from it or what. It's hard to explain exactly.

Maybe it was the nostalgia of seeing some Legion fan faves like Mr. Grell, and some classic costumes (that was a nice homage-y touch!) that made me feel the way I do, but I think it's more about the story that was told here. I think that I learned more about this new Legion from just this one issue than from the 8 preceding ones combined. Honestly.

Dare I say I am fanboy-ing out again, and that alone is one of the few positives in this surreal time that we are living in currently.

All I can say is " I WANT MORE .... " , and I cannot WAIT until next issue (and it feels so nice to hear myself say that again!!)

Long Live This New Legion!!!

Last edited by Catonyx; 09/29/20 06:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

In the present
Catonyx #992882 09/29/20 09:21 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Catonyx

I have to agree with this statement! smile

I'm happy (and relieved) to say that this issues was a bright spot for me for this iteration of the Legion. I don't know if it was the classic DC Special of the 70's and 80's feel that I got from it or what. It's hard to explain exactly.

Maybe it was the nostalgia of seeing some Legion fan faves like Mr. Grell, and some classic costumes (that was a nice homage-y touch!) that made me feel the way I do, but I think it's more about the story that was told here. I think that I learned more about this new Legion from just this one issue than from the 8 preceding ones combined. Honestly.

Dare I say I am fanboy-ing out again, and that alone is one of the few positives in this surreal time that we are living in currently.

All I can say is " I WANT MORE .... " , and I cannot WAIT until next issue (and it feels so nice to hear myself say that again!!)

Long Live This New Legion!!!

I did like the Bouncing Boy scene and classic costumes with Dawnstar.
White Witch and Dream Girl are interesting but I like them in most versions.

I had to laugh at the Crav General Nah interruption because somebody made that point on the boards recently and its becoming funny overkill...we have 9 issues and a Crav General Nah barge in 4 of them ?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,828
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000