Legion World
Posted By: MLLASH The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 12:56 AM
Crazy for Cosmic Boy? Love Lightning Lad? Swooning for Saturn Girl? Take it somewhere else!

THIS thread is for those who are kooky for Konk, ga-ga for Gas Girl, panting for Policy Pam and lusting for Lume! (and others of their obscure ilk!)

So... who's you all-time favorite obscure LEGION character?

And while we're at it, how does one DEFINE "Obscure" as it pertains to LEGION characters?

And why the hell does a character like Echo-Chamber Chet appeal to me?
Posted By: Mattropolis Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 01:04 AM
Ahem... I get down with DoubleHeader...
I'll tip my nelly li'l Green Arrow cap to this topic!

Why do I like Calamity King? Probably ultimately because one of the few Adventure era stories I owned as a kid contained his try-out, so he was the natural object of all of my early "what if so-and-so joined the Legion" fantasies.

Though, strangely, I've never been a huge Color Kid fan, despite the fact that he debuted in the same issue!
Posted By: Kid Prime Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 02:18 AM
I've always had a bizarre fascination with X-Bomb Betty.

Weird, I know, considering... maybe I just like things that are, uh, big. laugh
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 03:50 AM
CALORIE QUEEN! POLICY PAM! EYEFUL ETHEL!

(I think Infectious Lass had enough appearances during the 5YL stories to disqualify her from "obscure" status, but I may be biased there)
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 04:01 AM
I was wondering about Infectious Lass, too. I guess she isn't quite obscure- though to reboot-only readers she would be.

So- I'll mention Animal Lad and Gas Girl.

Mmmm- would Sean Erin qualify?

TN
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 04:36 AM
See, the massive total of LEGION characters and the reboots make it hard to define who is and isn't obscure.

SEAN ERIN appeared in multiple issues of both LSH and LEGIONNAIRES, yet he might still qualify.

Drura appeared in multiple 5YG LSH storyarcs as well as 2 S/LSH issues. Then there's the Subs special and DC COMICS PRESENTS issue, and the VALOR issue. Yet she *still* might qualify.

Weird, huh?
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 08:46 AM
And Calamity King has rocketed from obscurity to prominence due to the efforts of EDE at these boards.

There have been so many obscure, exotic, enchanting characters created throughout Legion history - one thing that's made the book so fascinating.

One of my favorites, seen only once I believe, is Dr. Chaseer. She worked at the Time Institute, she and B5 appeared to be interested in each other (where did they end up that night, hmmm?) and I would have liked to see that relationship develop. Enough with the bonny bouncy buxom blondes, Brainy!
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 08:47 AM
Hate-Face! (that poor ugly dead bastard)
Posted By: Estimate Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 09:10 AM
Obviously I think they should re-boot Estimate Boy as Approximo, however I'm not sure that the Secret Origin of the Subs story was ever strictly in continuity.

Just give me Spaceopoly Lad instead then. I think that's how you spell Spaceopoly...can't check as I'm at work at present.
Posted By: Ian Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/15/03 09:48 PM
Ditto on Spaceopoly lad. Anybody who can finish every game of Spaceopoly he starts is truly a gift from the gods!
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
And Calamity King has rocketed from obscurity to prominence due to the efforts of EDE at these boards.
You know... if they ever do reintroduce Calamity King, the one thing that would really put a smile on my face is if they incorporated the "Eryk" part of the name... then I'd know it was at least in part my influence...
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/16/03 12:25 AM
That would be a delightful gift to you, EDE... and your fans would be delighted also!

I hope it DOES happen!
You've just gotta love a character like Polecat, someone who considers the ability of smelling like a skunk such an asset to humanity that he fashions himself a super hero identity based on said "talents".

Is Saturn Queen obscure enough? I only like her because Giffen drew a really cool picture of her for who's who except when she finally turned up in 5YL she was kinda lame frown
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/16/03 01:20 AM
Oh, I kinda liked her during 5YL, but I think she was too easily overcome by Evillo.
Posted By: LoneWolfLondo Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/16/03 01:27 AM
Anti Lad!
A retcon before retcon's existed!
Even the Legion doesn't remember him.
You never see him counted in the roll call do ya?

Anti Lad. Bald is beeyootiful.

mad mad mad
Posted By: Arachne Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/16/03 04:45 AM
I second the vote for Dr. Chaseer.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 07/16/03 06:25 AM
At age 11, I adored QUICKSAND!! Her outfit, her hair, her zany eye makeup!! Plus her dark skin made her look like a girl from my nieghborhood.

A few years later I obsessed over AMBASSADOR JERYL. I loved the pink fin on her bald head and I prayed that she would become Reep's girlfriend!!

lil'rhino
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/04/03 05:12 AM
Styx
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/04/03 05:27 AM
I have to admit a certain fondness for Algronsk and Gaston -- they were kinda cute in their ruthless butchering of innocents (though it was only part of the job). And you'll never find a more polite pair of murderous androids this side of the UP...
Posted By: Super Lad Kid Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/05/03 03:13 AM
I always liked the little "Urk" critter urk that hung out at the Acadamy. You can't help but wonder what kind of powers it might have had, and what made him so valuable that Chuck and Lu felt the need to keep it around.
Posted By: Super Lad Kid Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/05/03 03:15 AM
eek And of course there's this little fellow, a Giffen creation I believe, who you know, if you could hear his voice would sound just like Marvin the Martian.
Gotta love those little purple aliens!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/05/03 10:50 PM
Wasn't his super-hero name Kid-Eyestalk-Thingie?
Posted By: Amentep Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/06/03 01:56 AM
I always loved Echo. He has what 6-7 panels in the adult LSH story and one panel in a 5YL story and thats it. And yet something about him always appealed to me.

I always liked Infectious Lass and Porcupine Pete as well, probably because the issue with them and Molecule Master and the return of ERG-1 was an often read issue when I was a kid [one of the few LSH issues I'd read too].
I'll always fondly remember Rainbow Girl. She was so sassy.
Posted By: Vee Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/06/03 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Amentep:
I always loved Echo. He has what 6-7 panels in the adult LSH story and one panel in a 5YL story and thats it. And yet something about him always appealed to me.

I always liked Infectious Lass and Porcupine Pete as well, probably because the issue with them and Molecule Master and the return of ERG-1 was an often read issue when I was a kid [one of the few LSH issues I'd read too].
Have to agree with Echo. Seemed like he could be a pretty cool character. Ditto Beauty Blaze from the same Adult Legion story.

On the good side of the ledger, my favorite obscure character is Kid Psycho. Legion Reservist who died saving the world! A true hero in the sense that he shortened his life with every use of his power, and yet, knowing that, was still willing to do so if called upon.
Posted By: MYG Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/07/03 10:05 PM
I think it's some of the obscure characters that have made the Legion so interesting over the years. one of my all time favorite subplots was the Colossal Boy-Duplicate Boy brawl in the Himalayans (probably spelled that wrong) over Violet...or so Ord thought. Duplicate Boy was a great "obscure character". He provided an outlet for Violet, and a source of latent tension for Gim Allon. It was evident, even from their first encounter, that they didn't like each other.

I also liked the Atom'X character. I believe that he was originally supposed to be Atmos from Xthanu, but because of a coloring error, a new character had to be created. Radion, another interestingly obscure character became a short-lived rival for Atom'X. There was a lot of juvenile pushing and shoving among the two, before Atom'X scarificed himself in battle...later to become one half the esence of the current Wildfire.
So, Duplicate Boy,(although I'm not too sure if he has "obscure" status), Atom'X and Radion get my votes for my all time obscure characters.
I have a soft spot for Nightwind. I only read a two or three issues in which she actually appeared, but I always have been fascinated by wind. I've always thought of it as a natural extension of flight... Then there's Spider Girl and Night Girl and Infectious Lass too. Reboot there's Particon, the gal with the clunky pink and yellow armor who took part in the battle against Mordru. I remember thinking that if Monstress joined the Legion then the creators should have let Particon join too, I mean she WAS the one who breached Mordru's energy dome, and the Legon had a shortage of energy-casters at that time. Of course, she would definitely have had to have lost that armor. I think the last time she and Radion appeared was during the Legion of the Damned storyline...
I just noticed that all of these are girls. Hm... Maybe I'm related to playboy Dirk? laugh
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/08/03 03:54 PM
Is this thread what inspired me to create that roll call of obscure (female) Legion characters, way back when?

I used the Who's Who set to dig 'em up....
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/08/03 06:22 PM
My favorite obscure Legion Character is Synde. She only appeared in one panel of the Night Girl back-up story in Superboy & The Legion of Superheroes #212 (my first Legion issue. But that is not why she is my favorite)

She was a rebound date for Cosmic Boy when Night Girl had patrol duty. Cos thinks "Synde is as happy as a clam ... and as intelligent." And that comment made me want to know more about this unfortunate young lady. And made her my favorite obscure character
Posted By: Director Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/08/03 08:14 PM
Lamphrey, as drawn by Giffen in "Seige Perilous." Mmmmm shiney and green. And she liked Wildfire, which is a big plus in my book.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 03/12/06 03:52 PM
Re-reading the reboot has borne lots of unexpected fruit for me!

Like that girl with the big honkin' bow in her hair and the prematurely shooting cat-claws in LEGIONNAIRES # 43.... what the hell was that?

She needs a code-name.

Maybe "Kitten".
Posted By: Matthew E Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 03/13/06 07:59 PM
Don't forget Cyfril. Anybody remember Cyfril?
Jeepers! I have no idea who Cyfril is! Enlighten us, Mattew E!
Posted By: Matthew E Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 03/13/06 08:49 PM
If I remember all the details correctly, Cyfril was a hapless thug who appeared in two or three or four issues in the era following LSH #300. He'd always get nabbed by the Legion or the SP for this or that, or have a building fall on him or something. He may have been involved in the fireballing of the Krinn's neighbourhood in the Cosmic Boy spotlight issue around then. In appearance, he was humanoid, with a face that was pink on one side, blue on the other. I think there were actually a few of these guys, but Cyfril is the one whose name sticks with me.
Was Cyfril the real little guy with the pointy ears?
Posted By: MLLASH Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 08/28/06 12:59 AM
LesterSpiffany
My baby ain't obscure! He's exclusive.
Posted By: Library Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 08/28/06 02:23 AM
Leeta 87!
I've ALWAYS wanted to see something about her superheroic career, prior to her amazing Pratfall of Death. Really. I'm NOT kidding!
Posted By: Set Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 08/28/06 06:40 PM
I'd like to see more of Lamprey, Nightwind, Crystal Kid and Laurel Kent (pre-retcon into a robot).

And those two big-eyed orange finned floating blowfish-looking critters who showed up to the tryouts where Sensor, Polar Boy, Tellus, etc. became Legionnaires.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 08/28/06 09:37 PM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
At age 11, I adored QUICKSAND!! Her outfit, her hair, her zany eye makeup!! Plus her dark skin made her look like a girl from my nieghborhood.

A few years later I obsessed over AMBASSADOR JERYL. I loved the pink fin on her bald head and I prayed that she would become Reep's girlfriend!!

lil'rhino
Rhino has great taste in obscure characters. Quicksand is definitely on the top of my list.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 08/28/06 09:39 PM
Princess Elwinda and Janice Warren, amazingly similar looking, but from different dimensions, both connected to Chameleon Boy!
My favorite is Lester Spiffany. I always liked him as an answer to the trivia question, "Who was the only person to apply for the Legion with no powers, special fighting skills or weapons?"
I see MLLASH also picked him, though it took me a while to recognize the graemlin.
Lester was also the first rejected Legion applicant!

(Discounting people who were rejected but later became Legionnaires, or who were retconned in later!)
Mi favotite is : Veilmist
Beautiful, powerful, almost a villain.
A lovely bitch.
I don't know if they count because most of them never made it into the Legion's comic book.
Dave Cockrum's Strangers:Tyr,Belladonna,the original Wolverine,Sidewinder and Manta.
And Dave Cockrum's Outsiders:Trio,Typhoon,Quetzal,Power Boy,Reflecto and Nightcrawler.
In the way of Obscure Chars, I have to go with Galaxy and Reflecto from The Post-ZH Annual. Wait, do Statues count? smile I got really into the Legion are the same time this was published, and I knew by then that Gold Statue = Dead Hero. It was just cool to think about who these two were, what they could do, how they died, etc.
Posted By: Superboy Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 08/30/06 10:56 AM
What about Lucifer 7?

Not a hero...but still obscure, yet given kind of an important place in Legion history.
Posted By: matlock Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/02/06 06:39 AM
And hats off to Wraithor! He was a prosecutor with Jack McCoy's craggy bluntness, mixed with Ben Stone's futile principledness.
Posted By: Uranus Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/12/06 12:18 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Amazing Arm-Fall-Off Boy. The boy whose arms fall off at will. I mean if someone came up to me and his arms fell off, it would strike fear into my heart! In fact, I would probably crap in my space-pants.

In a perfect world he would have his own book (written by Grant Morrison of course).
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/12/06 12:36 AM
Sean Erin, Dr. Chaseer, Ambassador Jeryl, Algronsk and Gaston, Cyfril, Princess Elwinda and Janice Warren, Belladonna, Wolverine, Sidewinder and Manta, Trio, Power Boy, Galaxy and Reflecto III, Lucifer 7, Wraithor...

All need graemlins.
Posted By: Seth Gaterra Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/12/06 01:34 AM
A tip of the hat to Magpie... without whom I'd still be nameless. wink
Posted By: tyrociscool Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/12/06 09:36 PM
My favorite obscure character award goes to Luii. She appeared in the backup story of LSH #317 to help Duplicate Boy regain his psychosomatically lost powers while he was moping over Vi. Something else else about my 13 year old mind thought she was very cute.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/12/06 11:08 PM
Wow, tyrociscool, that *is* an obscure one! Boy, they had *instant* chemistry...or did they? Is Luii just a hired hand? Did she really like Ord?
She sure looks an awful lot like young Salu, doesn't she? Man, she's curvy! And here's something rare...she's wearing BAGGY PANTS!!! She's not afraid of her assets!

How'd this one get by us, Legionworlders? Thank you tyrociscool!!!
Yeah, I definitely approve of Luii!

Magpie is another fave! His appearance was one of the first Legion issues I owned!
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/12/06 11:26 PM
Wow is Luii fun to sketch! Short, big booty, big chest, tiny waist, pretty as Vi, weird baggy pants that taper to her high shoes. I keep thinking of the Sir Mix A Lot song!
I'm totally wanting a Sketch Lad "Gallery of Legion Ex-Girlfriends"!

Er... once he's done with the SUPERMODEL stuff, of course!
Posted By: Kid Quislet Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/13/06 12:16 AM
My vote goes for Questor.

I always thought he'd make a cool Sub, being a glamour/PR guy in the group to give the subs more recognition. With training, maybe he wouldn't be such a wuss.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/13/06 06:39 AM
Although Polla had a pretty unimaginative name, Grell sure made the future Magnetic Kid's girlfriend *smoking hot*!

Too bad Rokk went on to slap them all off panel!
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 09/15/06 11:21 PM
Jim Sherman's the only one who drew Polla. Still hot, though.
If you think these guys & dolls are obscure, you should see who Sketchy\'s into now.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/21/06 12:49 AM
Thanks for the plug, Teeds!

Yes, I'm currently attempting to analyze ultra, super obscure female characters depicted by John Forte in Adventure Comics. I'm using the Archive Editions, which are not the best at getting the colors right. It's been a blast re-reading these stories! I'm amazed at how much stuff there is to forget.

The "Fabulous Fortes" tend to have a lot in common. They're usually very pretty, they wear glamorous and/or stylish clothing. Usually perfect hairstyles. Good jewelry. Generally curvy, sexy bodies. Generally larger than average hands. Some of them actually have lines of dialogue, some don't. Sometimes they are the only woman in sight, amongst several men.

I'm not creating a Pinup Model competition at this time, but I'm putting in some serious research minutes....
It really *is* amazing how much detail there is in those Adventure Era tales. I think only the 5YL Legion surpasses it in raw "density" of material per story. That's one of the things that frustrates me about contemporary comics as well. Sometimes I think that the entirety of Waid's run thus far would've only filled up about four or five issues in th 60s.
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/21/06 01:33 AM
I do want to do an "obscure character scan" of a more recent artist, but at this point, Barry Kitson's body of work has become pretty large. I think I'll pour through Jason Armstrong's work. Should be interesting...
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/29/06 09:42 AM
Did you all see the smilies Gary made for the Fabulous Fortes? Oh, they're so fun!!!!

We at LW truly know how to take the obscure, put a spotlight on it, and make Super Stars!!

Like, WOW!
Posted By: Sketch Lad Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/29/06 09:54 AM
Alright, I have an obscure character spotlight I want to mention....

LONI LONDO!

You all remember her, right? From the Adult Legion story. She's the first daughter of Timber Wolf and Light Lady.

Loni probably has a lot in common with Uncle Mekt, because she's at least part Winathian and is a solo. She has adorable twin baby brothers, Brin and Bran, so she'll probably really feel the solo-ness when she visits her Mom's homeworld.

Of course, she'll probably have a lot in common with Daddy, since he was formerly Lone Wolf. In fact, I'm sure he'll spend time with her, teaching her acrobatics and so on.... I only hope he doesn't push her too hard, as he might be apt to do, based on his example of a father.
Or, Brin might be more permissive with his girl, since he understands the urge to be separate. What would Brin's stance be on drug use, if Loni decides to experiment? Would he turn the other cheek, or would he intervene? Would he tell Ayla?
A dilemma!

Ayla would probably be understanding of Loni's plight as the girl with two brothers, however, Ayla was always babied. Surely Loni would dominate over the boys, being their big sister?

IIRC, none of Ayla and Brin's kids exhibited superpowers, since they both received theirs externally, however, what if they manifested later? Maybe Loni inherits the ability to make *herself* super lightweight, plus the acrobatic skills taught by Dad. She'd be a impossible to defeat in battle! Naturally, as a teen and adult, she'd be stunningly beautiful.

Okay, I'm done! Just wanted to give some thoughts on yet another obscure Legion character.
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 12/30/06 11:44 AM
Quake Kid I believe his name was. It's only a distant memory, but sometime in the seventies (YIKES those seventies outfits were HOT) he applied for and was turned down by the Legion for membership. Also, if I remember right, Infectious Lass, while attempting to comfort him instead made him sick to his stomach. All the while Absorbtion Lad (?) was looking on in disgust. Maybe less obscure but one I also had a soft spot for was Echo. And THAT folks was so long ago I can't even remember why.
He's Absorbancy Boy, but Quake Kid's the pick-up artist of the piece.
Posted By: Set Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 01/30/11 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire: I don't know if they count because most of them never made it into the Legion's comic book.

Dave Cockrum's Strangers: Tyr, Belladonna, the original Wolverine, Sidewinder and Manta.

And Dave Cockrum's Outsiders: Trio, Typhoon, Quetzal, Power Boy, Reflecto and Nightcrawler.
I didn't think it was worth making a new thread to discuss an obscure character, so I'm bumping this one.

Let\'s talk Trio!

This character just inspires the heck out of me. What were her powers? I've read that Dave himself couldn't remember what he had planned for her!

Some ideas;

1 – Triple-Threat-Trio. In conjoined form has three times the strength, toughness, reaction speed, agility, intellect, senses, etc. of a highly-trained well-exercised Carggite. That may not sound terribly 'super' until one remembers that Karate Kid, Batman, etc. have *one* times the intelligence, strength, toughness, reaction time, etc. of a (well-trained, highly-exercised) person, and they get by just fine.

When she triplicates, Hellion’s strength and toughness triples again (making her nine times tougher than, say, the Huntress or Black Canary), Vixen’s agility and intellect triples again (reaction speeds fast enough to dodge gunfire and an analytical and deductive brain powerful enough to annoy Batman), and Spitfire gains the ability to fly by manipulating currents of hot air (or projecting fire behind herself like a rocket) and to project fire at people.

(Why does Spitfire get 'real powers' instead of triple physical or mental capabilities? 'Cause I ran out of ideas.)

2 – Psionic Trio. In conjoined form, has limited psychic abilities, of all sorts, and retains three minds, linked in psychic gestalt, talking in an eerie voice that carries telepathic echoes, making it sound like three women talking at once. Is a bit aloof and 'better than thou' in her conjoined form, and other Carggites react very strangely to her, with some considering her a freak, and others a prophet of some sort...

When she triplicates, Hellion becomes a powerful telekinetic (mostly touch-telekinetic, able to protect herself and mimic super-strength, with her power rapidly weakening with range), Vixen becomes a telepath (focused more on deception and illusion, only probing minds deeply at close range and with concentration, more prone to scanning surface thoughts to find people and anticipate combat actions so that she can pre-empt them) and Spitfire becomes able to levitate and set things on fire with pyrokinesis.

3 – Carggite-Animal-Powers Trio. In conjoined form, has normal Carggite ability levels, and the ability to speak with and control Carggite animal life. Can also understand non-Carggite animals (and manipulate Carggite plant life), but isn't nearly as good at these stunts.

When she triplicates, Hellion gains the strength / toughness of some sort of hairless purple-hided six-limbed four-horned bear-bull-centaur like creature native to Cargg and is occasionally surrounded with a purple animal shaped aura when she exerts herself, Vixen gains the stealth and swiftness of a hundred-spiny-limbed serpentine Carggite creature and sometimes has a greenish serpentine aura when she's moving flat-out or using the creatures chameleon skills to hide, and Spitfire can fly and project superheated ranged attacks, similar to a Carggite ‘bird’ that can launch poisoned quillions at prey. While flying, Spitfire appears to have red energy wings, and the fiery darts come from her energy wings. The actual animal’s venom causes the victim to become feverish and feel like they are burning up, although the animal itself is not super-heated.

4 – Emotional Spectrum Trio – in conjoined version, is a normal Carggite.

When she triplicates, Hellion becomes controlled by rage and is infused with red energy that boosts her offensive abilities, Vixen becomes supernaturally calm and is infused with green energy that boosts her intellect and coordination, and Spitfire becomes compassionate, yet fiercely protective of those she loves, infused with a purple energy that allows her to calm the emotions of others, soothe pain and reassure / inspire others.

The red energy strengthens Hellion’s body, the green energy focuses Vixen’s mind, and the purple energy ennobles Spitfire’s spirit. Despite these associations, and the obvious similarities to Geoff John’s emotional spectrum, Trio does not have any ability to manipulate the energy externally, like a Green (Red, Violet, whatever) Lantern, just receiving the appropriate upgrade to her body, mind or spirit, and the appropriate exaggerated personality traits.

5 - Trimurti Trio - When she triplicates, Hellion becomes the Destroyer, gaining the ability to destroy things she strikes (even with a thrown item, which she can charge with her destructive energy!), either by locating weak spots instinctively, or by weakening molecular bonds, with tougher materials taking more time and stronger blows to 'break down,' Vixen becomes the Preserver/Architect and gains the ability to transmute items to a limited extent (with solid/liquid/gas transmutations being easiest for her), and to repair stuff (even a living person!) that is broken or damaged, or cause incomplete items to reassemble, flying together telekinetically, and Spitfire becomes the Creator, able to conjure up simple items from loose particulate matter in the air or dust on the ground, etc. Spitfire cannot create any energy source more advanced than burning fire, and so cannot create a charged blaster pistol, battery or high energy explosive, and generally can't create anything with complicated parts, since she's pretty clever, but not able to hold the blueprints for a 30th century computer in her head.

Combining their powers, Hellion can reduce rocks or debris to dust, Spitfire can can create not-terribly-complicated components from this free-floating matter and Vixen can cause those components to assemble into structures or devices too large or complicated for Spitfire to have created by herself.

In her conjoined form, Trio becomes the Avatar, with some of the power of all three forms, but with the powers being limited to herself. In this form, she can grow to triple height, using the power of the Creator to add to her mass, reduce herself to a weightless gaseous mist, by 'Destroying' herself temporarily, and waft about as a misty ghost, and heal any injury she sustains at great speed with the power of the Architect/Preserver.

Whatever power she is using, the energy of destruction, creation or reconstruction/repair is represented as flames, greenish as Vixen, reddish as Spitfire, purple as Hellion and golden as Trio.

And that's where my creativity ends. Five different options, and I kinda like the emotional spectrum and 'Carggite animal totem' versions the best. The psionic version reminds me too much of Jean Grey and / or Xavier's son 'Legion.' The Creator/Architect/Destroyer one is too explicitly Hindu.

Anyone have other ideas for what three different powers the three different forms of Trio have?

I based my choices, more or less, off of some combination of their names (Hellion, Vixen, Spitfire), their colors (purple, green, red) and their stances (bold/resolute - suggesting strong and tough, curious/in motion - suggesting speedster, acrobat and / or detective, serene/aloof - suggesting flier, phaser or otherwise able to remove herself from the fray and act from a distance).

But, obviously, those are my preconceptions, and I'm sure others will look at the picture and have completely different ideas.

Indeed, I'm hoping so!

Let's have it!

What other sets of three could her powers be based on? Solid (Hellion turns to stone), liquid (Vixen turns to water), gas (Spitfire turns to mist)?

Is she a shapeshifter, with a land-based form (Hellion), a water-based form (Vixen) and a flying avian form (Spitfire)?

Did her Ambassador mother have three different husbands, from three different species, and her daughter was born with traits from these three races (Hellion - half-Braalian, Vixen - half- Titanian, Spitfire - half-Bgtzln?).

What an endless trove of possibilities!
Posted By: razsolo Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 01/31/11 09:28 AM
Set, I like your emotional spectrum and triple-threat ideas the best...for Spitfire for the triple-threat one, how about someone with heightened emotional awareness/manipulation (so Vixen would be more of an intellectually cunning/inventive person whereas Spitfire would be able to instantly taunt villains into losing their temper with a well-placed barb, or reducing someone to tears with a really scathing assault of words). She could also go the other way and calm down people who are scared, be great for hostage negotiations etc, but the Spitfire name comes from her ability to reduce hardened villains to emotional putty just with her words..

I will give Trio a go: how about a character based on the Blessed Trinity invoked by Luornu occasionally in the 5YL Legion?

Hellion is a sadistic demonically-influenced character with dark urges she's always struggling to control...she has an affinity for evil forces and dark magic. She would be able to summon minor demonic entities to do her bidding.

Spitfire sees herself as a servant of the light; is completely unforgiving of evil and reverent of purity. She can fly on wings of celestial flame and shoot blasts of soulfire which have no effect on the physical world but are direct attacks on the soul.

Vixen is the synthesis of the two; highly empathic because she understands light and darkness equally, extremely cunning but also an extremely good-natured person; sort of Superman's moral core, but Batman's guile.

What do you think?
Posted By: Set Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 01/31/11 02:35 PM
Originally posted by razsolo:
how about a character based on the Blessed Trinity invoked by Luornu occasionally in the 5YL Legion?

Hellion is a sadistic demonically-influenced character with dark urges she's always struggling to control...she has an affinity for evil forces and dark magic. She would be able to summon minor demonic entities to do her bidding.

Spitfire sees herself as a servant of the light; is completely unforgiving of evil and reverent of purity. She can fly on wings of celestial flame and shoot blasts of soulfire which have no effect on the physical world but are direct attacks on the soul.

Vixen is the synthesis of the two; highly empathic because she understands light and darkness equally, extremely cunning but also an extremely good-natured person; sort of Superman's moral core, but Batman's guile.

What do you think?
Interesting. I'm not familiar with the reboot, or the 'blessed trinity' of the Carggite faith, but that's a neat way to go with it. I had considered, in addition to the Hindru trimurti, going with a Christian trinity (old testament fire and brimstone for one, new testament peace and creation-miracles for the other, and some sort of holy spirit-analogue for the third), but decided to skip any potential controversy (plus, Carggites are supposed to be at least a little bit alien, so mapping a 'trinity' over to either Christian or Hindu faiths would seem artificial, to me).

I do like the idea that one self focuses on higher 'celestial' concepts, the other is down-and-dirty 'fiendish' and the third is more of a balanced blend of the two. It's a neat way of taking a traditionally dualistic way of looking at things (good vs. evil, black and white, up and down) and adding a third component that makes sense, representing humanity / mortal existence, a blend of both extremes, stuck in the middle, neither perfect nor irredeemable.

Batman's guile / Superman's morals was an interesting analogue for that sort of thing.

The breakdown works interestingly with the stances in the artwork. The 'angelic' Spitfire is in a confident but aloof stance, suggesting restraint. The 'demonic' Hellion is in a brash and challenging stance, as if urging the viewer to get something started. The 'mortal in the middle' Vixen is in an active, exploratory pose, as she tries to find a moderate middle path between the two extremes of her darker and lighter aspects.

The colors don't really make much sense, unless the Carggite faith associates purple with the darker forces, red with the higher forces, and green the growing world between them... (Since that sort of detail may have never been detailed, in the reboot, it could be retconned in without changing anything.) If that's the case, Lu's custume, which has orange (not quite red) and violet (not quite purple) elements, is intriguing, as it would suggest that she's more of a dualist (or triadist, whatever), and not explicitly devoted to one end of the 'blessed trinity.' (Since, presumably, exclusive worshippers of the 'red' celestial angelic corner of the Carggite trinity would shun the color purple, and prefer red clothing. Assuming such monotheists would even exist. Perhaps turning too far towards any branch of their trinity, 'good,' 'evil' or 'worldly,' would be considered inappropriate, to orthodox Carggites...)

Neat stuff.
I also wondered whatever happened to Reges Questaar of Zentor, the cowardly con-man faux-hero, who actually had at least one pretty impressive power.

I also wondered about the dozen or so unnamed girls who frequently showed up at Legion tryouts dressed as Catwoman.
Posted By: Set Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 02/01/11 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Tom Tanner:
I also wondered about the dozen or so unnamed girls who frequently showed up at Legion tryouts dressed as Catwoman.
It was a prank from some holovision show. Show up to Legion Tryouts dressed as Catwoman and send in a recording of your being rejected. The best rejection wins an all-expenses paid vacation to Phloston Paradise.

The angry contestants met outside after the contest turned out to be a scam, and decided to form their own Legion of Substitute Cat-Girls.

They had their reality TV show, purportedly of them attempting to make it as crime-fighters, but mostly getting into scripted 'cat-fights' in their plush 'crime-fighting lair.'
From the obscure to the super-obscure.

"Is This Fair Boy", lower right-hand corner, sitting beneath the two weird fishy-thingies.

http://pics.livejournal.com/icon_uk/pic/002s95xk

Never appeared again. Nothing is known about him. No powers, no name. Probably too young to begin the training anyway.

In my own mind, this is Matter-Eater Lad's nephew, Elevenzil Kem.
Although I, myself, Tom Tanner, am also an obscure character-- featured in "The Secret of the Seventh Super-Hero", Adventure Comics #290, November 1961, in a stunning orange jumpsuit.

But everyone knew that already, right?
How about Charma? She first appeared with Grimbor in one of the issues Grell drew. She could control men, but seemingly enraged women. She only made one appearance that I know of, and if memory serves me, Grimbor claimed she died in prison. I think she would be an interesting character to bring back.
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 02/02/11 05:19 AM
I believe that Charma was brought back in the issue where Wildfire's "kid brother" AKA Squire Burroughs....was "back"...sigh. that issue was very "forgottable".
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 02/02/11 05:53 AM
From the obscure to the super-obscure.

"Is This Fair Boy", lower right-hand corner, sitting beneath the two weird fishy-thingies.

Never appeared again. Nothing is known about him. No powers, no name. Probably too young to begin the training anyway.

I've always loved him!!
In my pea-brain, he was a kid robot & that's why he wasn't accepted.
[b]From the obscure to the super-obscure.

I've always loved him!!
In my pea-brain, he was a kid robot & that's why he wasn't accepted. [/b]
ASTRO BOY!
Although I, myself, Tom Tanner, am also an obscure character-- featured in "The Secret of the Seventh Super-Hero", Adventure Comics #290, November 1961, in a stunning orange jumpsuit.

But everyone knew that already, right?
Of course! Tom Tanner's appearance is also associated with the historic first use of the word "stupid" in Legion history, as chronicled in
this thread!
Posted By: Kid Quislet Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 02/07/11 08:46 PM
[b]From the obscure to the super-obscure.

I've always loved him!!
In my pea-brain, he was a kid robot & that's why he wasn't accepted.[/b]
He reminded me of one of Marvel's Power Pack kids.
Posted By: duck458 Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 02/08/11 10:09 PM
Does XS qualify?
Posted By: future king Re: The All-OBSCURE Characters Thread! - 02/14/11 01:54 PM
Originally posted by duck458:
Does XS qualify?
lol

God I hope you're wrong.

If Paul Levitz is reading this right now .... PLEEEEEEEEEEZ bring XS back to the Legion!!! scream
© Legion World