Legion World
Posted By: Thriftshop Debutante Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 08:36 AM
(for those in the Northern Hemisphere, that is)

Shall we light a fire in fireplace and gather 'round to read old comics and sip Frothy Chocohots?
Posted By: Estimate Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:

Shall we light a fire in fireplace and gather 'round to read old comics and sip Frothy Chocohots?
Sounds good to me!

Actually I think Autumn has already hit here in the South West UK. This morning was quite dark when I woke up for work and on top of that we had to stick the heating on for the first time in months last night 'cause there was a bit of a chill in the air...I don't mind too much though as I'm of on holiday to Greece next week!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 09:00 AM
First day of official autumn is September 23 - when Scott & Caroline move into their new digs. We definitely should all take the day off for intensive comics-reading and chocolate consumption.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 12:10 PM
I can't wait!!!

Leaves turning, Holidays a-coming, chic fall fashions!!!!!
Posted By: Kid Prime Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 07:38 PM
Gosh, don't you just LOVE that little charge in the air early in the morning these days. It's like the weather is gently telling us what is to come. I love fall. Leaves turning all colors, chilly mornings and evenings yet warm and breezy afternoons, sloppy rainstorms in which you cook chili and look out the window, long walks kicking up leaves, college football Saturdays...

Yup, I've missed this time of year. I'm glad it's back. I'm also glad that at this time next year, I'll be able to TOTALLY appreciate the fall, as I'll be starting back to school for my graduate degree. YAY!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 07:48 PM
Ah, fall. And TD hits 1000 posts. How do you combine the two? Like this:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Suddenly Seymour Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 08:02 PM
Fall's a great season. Leaves look lovely, pansies take over the nurseries (and my garden if I ever get off my butt), and the crisp weather is good for snuggling in the evening and the morning.

And it's a good time to change my signature.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 09:22 PM
S. Seymour, that's a clever and comforting sign-off you've adopted. I'm a prize piddler-away of summer days.

And LL, do you make those things up or is there a source for "Funny and Appropriate On-line Images for Every Occasion"?
Posted By: icefire Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/03 10:38 PM
Me and TD curled up on a blanket because I love you!!!!!!
i remember when i was younger and i first heard that in America .... Autumn was refered to as the Fall !!!

and i really liked it !!! i thought the analogy to the falling autumn leaves was really nice smile !!!

and i guess it's pretty much the autumn here in Manchester, it's been a lot colder these last few days and it's rained a lot too !!! we've even had the heating on a couple times in the evening .....

Matthew.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/11/03 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:

As long as we can follow them up with C. C. Ice Cream on Waffles! I've gained five pounds since you posted that receipe. wink
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/11/03 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
And LL, do you make those things up or is there a source for "Funny and Appropriate On-line Images for Every Occasion"?
The internet is a wide and wonderful place isn't it? laugh
Soon, sentients, soon....
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/09/06 04:56 AM
'Tis already in the air... the most beautiful time of year is at hand!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/09/06 11:30 PM
Autumn is my favorite time of year! laugh

In CT, its really gorgeous and I can't wait for the chilling of the whether and that 'back to school excited feeling' that I still get to set in when I go out on the weekends. And reading comics on a brisk Sunday morning with a hot cup of coffee is a pasttime I've enjoyed since I was a wee pre-teen lad.
Sweatpants! Flannel pillowcases!

To heck with the darling buds of May.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/17/06 12:53 AM
College football! Fire places! Good television! Kids all hyped up with hormones raging!

Yay September!
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/17/06 01:23 AM
Well, we've had a few nights when it's dropped below 70F and a few days when it hasn't broken 90F. We don't really get anything resembling autumn in Houston till about November. frown
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/06 12:10 AM
It's been nice and mild up here.

There have been a handful of trees starting to change colors as early as mid-August, but now it's really starting to be noticeable.
And here we are again, sentients.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/02/07 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Well, we've had a few nights when it's dropped below 70F and a few days when it hasn't broken 90F. We don't really get anything resembling autumn in Houston till about November. frown
That's pretty much the same situation as Southeast Florida.

Two months to go...they can't go by soon enough.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/07 11:15 AM
We're getting the Autumn Alert sooner this year. Is something happening?
Posted By: walkwithcrowds Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/07 01:01 PM
I've really noticed the colder temperatures at morning and night. It's actually quite sunny here (for a change) but there is a bit of a chill in the air. I've also noticed that it is getting dark earlier now. Yesteray it was dark from just after eight o'clock...I've no idea what time it gets light, in the morning though, I'm never awake that early.
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/07 07:44 AM
The birds are starting to flock around here. It was a small flock, maybe 200 or so, but there they were.

Or it could be that they're returning after some majorly sucky weather we've had around here. (After the storms passed we noticed there were almost no birds around for a couple of weeks.)

Nights are definitely cooler, though.
Posted By: Ghost of Numf El Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/07 08:33 AM
Well, summer has been absolutely rubbish here - I doubt that we've had half a dozen days over 20°C. Rain almost every day, to varying extents.
So, I'm hoping for an Indian summer this autumn. But there's no sign of it yet .....
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/07 05:29 PM
Ah, college football, Labor Day end of summer BBQ's,and already the evenings are cooling off.

My fave time of the year is here again!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/07 07:13 PM
It's not coming a moment too soon. Summer was particularly brutal this year here.
Posted By: Vee Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/07 04:09 AM
Originally posted by MLLASH:
It's not coming a moment too soon. Summer was particularly brutal this year here.
Yes, it sure has been Lash, though I think you guys have had it even worse than we have. Still miserable though.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/07 04:11 AM
Agreed. I'll be happy to see it go.
Posted By: Language Arts Dave Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/07 04:25 AM
"Frothy Chocohots" used to be my stage name back when I was a male stripper, and... y'know... when I was black.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/07 02:59 PM
We're getting the Autumn Alert sooner this year. Is something happening?
During my brief return to upstate NY and the vicinity last week and the week before, there was a lot of fall coloring - about a month ahead of schedule. Some parts of the Adirondacks and Vermont had patches of bright, vivid colors as one would expect in early October!

St. John's has no noticeable coloration that I've noticed in my almost 2.5 days here.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/07 07:51 PM
Autumn on Legion World = Kid Prime's Annual College Football thread!

*cough*

Better be one Kippers!
How soon? Almost now.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/09 01:18 AM
Surprisingly, we had a strangely mild August.

Still ready for fall! I can practically hear the death-screams of the insects now!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/09 01:23 AM
Hmm... this will be the perfect time to try out my new serum that makes leaves as heavy as lead!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/09 01:30 AM
a few bright colors already. and cool days. It seems like October, except that there aren't enough colors yet.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/09 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Hmm... this will be the perfect time to try out my new serum that makes leaves as heavy as lead!
So "putting a fig leaf over the problem" will take on a whole new meaning. Is that what you're saying?

hmmm
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/09 02:58 PM
Cold mornings and warm afternoons--yay!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/09 08:54 AM
Autumn shmautumn. It's winter that's the real test of mankind.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/09 10:58 AM
Autumn shmautumn. It's winter that's the real test of mankind.
oh, yeah? then move to Churchill or Schefferville rather than spend another wimpy winter on the NS coast.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/09 01:05 PM
Winter rocks until New Years and then it gets all sucky.

Meanwhile, in other news, Autumn rocks over here in CT. Weather is still great and pumpkin pie is starting to make the rounds as dessert after Sunday dinners with the family.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/09 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Cold mornings and warm afternoons--yay!
The perfect weather.
sigh

The Oregon valley is still getting some 90's, but last year we got rare 'deep' snow, like 2 to 3
feet!
lol
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/09 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
[b]Autumn shmautumn. It's winter that's the real test of mankind.
oh, yeah? then move to Churchill or Schefferville rather than spend another wimpy winter on the NS coast.[/b]
Bah! I may live in the Banana Belt now, but as a child in the northern reaches of the Great White North, -20 degrees and we'd crack the ice to go swimming.

I'd like 2-3 feet of snow here. It's very good for protecting trees, as well as that pricey rhododendron I put in this year.
Yes, Legion World is rapidly approaching it's "Autumn."
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 01:19 AM
*yawn*

Oh, sorry...

EEK! Somebody SAVE us! Legion World's in DANGER! Oh whatever shall we do?

Yeah. tongue
Autumn is the perfect time for outdoor theatre... Bad Outdoor Theatre... complete with corny lines, atrocious delivery, and overacting buffoons.

Right Lardy?
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 02:28 AM
Hey, I'm not the one dressed like that! lol
True, from your dress you must be playing a hobo... an exceptionally poor hobo.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 02:30 AM
Hey, sexy don't need no bells and whistles, dude!
But it does require a moderate amount of cleanliness along with clothing that actually fits.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 02:39 AM
Hey, I definitely have a moderate amount of cleanliness! Therefore: me = sexy!

nod
I believe that would require you to have bathed in this century... therefore Lardy = filthy!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 02:46 AM
Zardi = jealous

nod
Believe what you will. Just please stand down wind while you do so.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 06:37 PM
Pipe down, you overgrown adolescents! I'm trying to groove on the King Cole Trio here!
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 06:53 PM
Ah, autumn! Where the highs in Houston are only in the 80s!
Why does "Highs in Houston" sound like an 80's rock band?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/09 09:22 PM
or the state of Bobby Brown's mrs at various times...
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/09 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Zardi, the Eternal Man:
Autumn is the perfect time for outdoor theatre . . .
Ashland, OR has WONDERFUL outdoor theater!
Mostly in the late spring and summer, though.
We're not in the 'Duck State' for nothin'!
FirmConcept
. **' '''' *...
.. * ...* *..
..*' * ' ''.
.' *' **.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/19/09 05:56 PM
Behind the spoiler lurks the best Autumn recipe ever. Well, tied with Mom's applesauce recipe, maybe.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Spicy Baked Pumpkin:

You will need:

1 cooking pumpkin. (The kind marketed as "sugar pumpkin" is what I usually use. It's the traditional shape but about as big as a toddler's head. Make sure you buy a pumpkin that's meant for cooking, not decoration.)

1/2 cup pepper jelly

1/4 cup cooking oil (almost any veggie or nut oil will do. Olive oil is okay, too.)

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly butter or oil a large glass pan, or two small ones.

Rinse the pumpkin and pat dry. Use a heavy, sharp knife to split the pumpkin lengthwise. Cut into quarters, then scrape out the seeds and strings. (Rinse the seeds and roast them later, if you like.)

Cut the quarters into eighths and then cut the eighths again crosswise, if desired. Set aside.

Combine the other ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the pumpkin wedges and toss lightly to coat them with the mixture. Remove them to the baking dish and pour any remaining mixture over them.

Bake about 1/2 hour, turning at least once halfway through. (You can add a few tablespoons of water during this time if the jelly looks like it might burn.) Pumpkin is done when a wedge falls easily off a fork's tines and/or peels easily away from its rind.

Serves 2-4. A great side dish with your favorite poultry or to contrast with the pungency of your favorite stewed greens.
</span></span>
Was Betty Crocker a Legionairre?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/09 06:51 PM
What do you think Cham's Mom was doing in the past while Dad was off partying with L.E.G.I.O.N.?

In fact, Mom was pretty much every major corporation's aproned ambassador between 1929 and 1972. For example: Mary Blake at Carnation, Ann Pillsbury at Pillsbury (yes, we all know about the link between Proteans and Doughboys by this time, I'm sure), and so on.

Expect this to be a crucial plot arc in my forthcoming fanfic that crosses R.E.B.E.L.S. with Mad Men.

But first, I have pumpkin seeds to roast. BRB.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/09 06:12 PM
FireLad Pumpkin Seeds.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">For each 1/2 C of raw pumpkin seeds, you'll need:

1 1/2 tsp. olive or other vegetable oil, plus a little extra for oiling the baking tray

1 tsp. Kosher salt

1/8-1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp. Coriander

1/2 tsp. ground Cumin

After you've scooped the seeds from the pumpkin, put them in a strainer and rinse under cool water to remove most of the strings, etc.

Shake off the water and spread the seeds out on a big plate or tray. Let them dry for at least an hour or two or overnight (ideally).

When ready to roast the seeds, preheat oven to 300 F.

Lightly coat a large baking tray with oil or non-stick spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, salt, and spices. Stir well to combine.

Add the seeds and stir well with a spatula or wooden spoon, so they are coated thoroughly with the oil-salt-spice mixture.

Spread them out on the greased baking tray and bake for about 1/2 hour, turning them every 10-15 minutes so they roast evenly. Seeds will turn golden brown on the outside, and the inside will change from green to brown as they bake.

Remove from tray to a large plate to cool the seeds before eating. (About 5-10 minutes.)</span></span>
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/09 07:22 PM
Pumpkin Beer: love
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/09 07:59 PM
Does 'Pumpkin beer: puke ?
Just curious.

In Salem, Oregon and the surrounding areas, everything has been golden and flame for a week or so now. (I loose track of time, sigh.)

Our Sugar Gum tree, planted by the city long ago, and one of the few not already chopped down and gleefully tossed into a shredder, is just starting to turn color.

The leaves will still be dropping until Christmas, usually, and the 'spiked' nut/seeds will be dropping all year!

Do you have a receipe for roasted, or any other way, Sugar Gum Weapons of Destruction, cleome?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/09 11:40 PM
Sorry, Candle. I don't even know how to prepare Gingko nuts.

Our Hawthorne sapling looks beautifully red, but it's in the back yard where few people get to see it. We have a neighbor black cat who comes around and walks beneath the tree in circles. It took me some time earlier this year to realize that he uses the thorns to scratch his back, the lunatic.

lol
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/09 11:41 PM
As for pumpkin in either beer or coffee, all I can say is:

shudder
Posted By: Mysa Nal 3 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/27/09 06:35 AM
Originally posted by cleome:
As for pumpkin in either beer or coffee, all I can say is:

shudder
shudder is absolutely correct!

The flavor must be for the very young (under 35) and their undeveloped taste buds!
Autumn. Indeed, indeed.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/10 09:27 AM
20 days, then everything changes.
Posted By: Set Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/10 09:58 AM
Darn, the bumping of this thread fills me with a craving for my aunts awesome pumpkin soup. (It has curry in it, I have no idea how curry and pumpkin can combine into something this awesome, and not explode on contact...)
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/10 01:24 PM
I'm sure will be seeing some lovely autumn cooling here in Houston. Maybe in November. It'll be hot and humid here for a while yet.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/10 01:56 PM
FINALLY. This summer has been utter hell here. I am very fortunate I didn't have to venture out into the heat unless I chose to.

Temp right now is in the 70s. smile But that may be because of Earl.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/10 03:31 PM
Fall colors have been slowly trickling in for the past month - just here and there; it's still rather green. There are small sprinklings of leaves on the grass here and there. Some days are fierce summer heat/humidity, but others have an autumnal feel. especially toward dusk.

It's been a nice slow transition to fall.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/10 05:12 AM
Earl. Ugh. I meant to call my Mom tonight back East and make sure she's doing okay. Now I'll have to do it tomorrow morning. shocked
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/10 05:57 AM
Which means that winter won't be far behind, along with my 20th Birthday.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/10 03:18 PM
Otono is Spanish for autumn. (Well, sort of -- my keyboard can't put the dash over the "n".)
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/10 03:28 PM
I love fall weather.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/10 04:35 PM
Me, too, but I'm really annoyed right now-- because this looks like another year in which I won't be able to afford Fall bulbs for my yard. Thanks to my always-erratic wages. Last year was the same. There's still plenty of yard work I can do before the rainy season takes over, but I want more bulbs, damnit!

mad
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/10 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Dev Em:
I love fall weather.
ditto, and then some!!! smile
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/10 03:34 PM
70 degrees at 10:30am... I thought I'd never see it again after that brutal Summer of 90 at 9am.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/10 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kent:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
[b]I love fall weather.
ditto, and then some!!! smile [/b]
Are you like me in despising Summer as the absolute worst season of the year?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/10 01:47 AM
I hate summer when it's humid. Hot and dry I can deal with. Even stormy/wet I can deal with - if it's not sticky afterward.

So unless I'm out west, or its an unusual year, yes, I think summer is the worst season.

That said, this past summer hasn't been too bad, with only short spells of intolerability. But still not nearly as good as the rest of the preceding 9 months were.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/10 01:54 AM
It's raining here again, and the temperatures are starting to come down.

Naturally, the "wacky morning DJ" who's always on where I work had to whine today about how he wanted Summer back.

It's a good thing that I don't have a phone, because I wanted so badly to call the dude up and scream, "SOME OF US DON'T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING WHERE WE WORK AND SPENT ALL OF AUGUST RUNNING AROUND IN A BIG STONE OVEN WISHING WE WERE DEAD! SHUT THE [bleep] UP, YOU STUPID, SPOILED MAN-CHILD!!"

I wouldn't have cared that it was on company time, either. And I probably would have been fired.

evil
Posted By: Exnihil Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/10 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Kent:
I hate summer when it's humid.
Agreed. When I'm cold, there are a hundred things I can to to warm up. When I'm hot... I'm just staying hot.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/10 03:47 PM
I always feel mixed about the fall ... I dread it because of the startup of school but I love the reprieve from the heat and humidity ... not to mention there always seems to be pumpkin pie around ...
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/11/10 02:46 PM
Summer Rules All! Bow Before the Might of SUMMER!
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/11/10 05:28 PM
Sorry, Abin, but a Canadian cool front reclaimed this area from the South a few days ago.

After a horridly muggy, mosquito-ridden summer, I'm loving it.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/11/10 07:27 PM
When you live where summer weather lasts well into October, you really look forward to cooler weather. I can't really complain, though. Everything here is air conditioned.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/13/10 04:04 AM
I'm rather happy to see the back of the Summer.

The days are still warm, but the stifling humidity is pretty much gone.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/13/10 04:14 AM
The weather this weekend is about all that saved me from collapsing in despair. It was perfect. Maybe the most perfect weather we've had all year.

I wasn't real mobile, but I opened all the windows, made a pitcher of iced coffee and enjoyed it as much as was humanly possible.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/10 12:24 AM
Okay, autumn's here, so what now?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/10 12:26 AM
Halloween decor!

hot chockie!

hot apple cider!

the list can go on and on!!!!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/10 12:27 AM
I'm just happy for the cooler weather.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/10 01:03 AM
That's a good thing, too.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/10 01:12 AM
Now if it would only be 50 degrees instead of 70. Summer is hanging on by its pinky and refuses to let go.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/10 01:42 AM
Well, I'm in southern Ontario.
I was born in the Athens Greece in July. As long as I live I will never get used to Canadian winters.
Bottom line = If it never snows again it will be too soon for me! tongue
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 03:35 AM
Highs in the frikkin 80s the next two days!!!

IT IS ALMOST NOVEMBER, NATURE!!!

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 03:52 AM
and then the crows will come.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 03:54 AM
I had to veer off course to the door of my building a couple days ago because a wasp was hovering there in my way. A big fat bloated wasp.

A WASP. I should be concerned with how thick my shirt is going to be, not wearing flip flops and dodging wasps.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 03:58 AM
It could've just been a fat woman DRESSED as a wasp.

My mother once went as one of the killer bees for Halloween during the... 70s?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 06:31 PM
In the Autumn up here, usually mid-October, all the bees get kind of kooky. They become like fat & drunk and stumble around, goofing off. I have no idea what it's called or why.

It actually makes me very nervous!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 06:41 PM
one of those stumbling bees wandered into my way this morning as I cycled to main campus. It bounced off my cheek like a pebble. Guess it was too surprised to sting me.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 06:50 PM
I haven't seen any stumble/bumble bees but I never see wasps here either really... it would make me nervous too Cobie!

It was like it should have already died by now and had lived way past when it was supposed to and is now kind of nuts...
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 06:58 PM
Kind of like an immortal whose lived for so long it's driven them crazy! Only this bastard has a giant stinger!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/10 07:05 PM
lol RIGHT!!! laugh
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/29/10 05:32 PM
Well it has FINALLY cooled off and I am LOVING IT.

It's 55 right NOW in the middle of the day. Hoooray!
Posted By: Anita Cocktail Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/30/10 03:13 AM
I'm in head to toe argyle!!*hic*
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/31/10 08:48 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/31/10 08:51 PM
we had flurries today.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/31/10 11:37 PM
The cool breezes over the past few days have been wonderful.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/03/10 02:16 AM
The mornings are delightfully cold so I don't want to get out of bed, since Pickles cuddles up against me under the covers.

And the afternoons are nice and warm!

But each day it gets gradually colder...
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/11 05:37 AM
Is it too soon to dig up this old chestnut?
I had been thinking (fondly) of this thread lately...
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/11 05:44 AM
It seems summer lasted until mid-Oct. last year.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/11 05:56 AM
Next weeks highs dip to the 70s in Memphis... THANK SPACE!!!
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/11 11:01 AM
It's still a very warm and balmy summer here in southern Ontario!
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/11 08:32 PM
It has cooled off here quite a bit.
Last night while at work the temperture went down to 4C.
Days are cooler too, only geting to between 15 to 20C
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/11 08:47 PM
Warm one today...cannot wait until Fall/Winter.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/11 12:13 PM
It can stay as warm as it wants to here as far as I'm concerned. If it never snows again it will be too soon! shudder
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/11 09:24 PM
I need the cool weather...and soon. Cold even...
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/11 11:00 PM
Almost the entire month of August, we experienced high temperatures over 100F/38C.

Autumn can't get here fast enough!
Posted By: Thora Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/11 11:11 PM
Autumn on Taltar... the time we force our males to dress even more skimpily or else face the flesh-ripping bite of the whip.
It's Labor Day Weekend in the US, which is seen as the last bit of summer.

So why not enjoy this seasonal pic from Sketch Lad's MALE MODEL competition while ye may? Sarya in a bathing cap...sublime!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/04/11 11:54 PM
Stupid male or stupid swimsuit?
(Thanks for the setup, Crames!)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/11 12:05 AM
Who's Autumn anyway?? A stripper I hope!
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/11 03:45 PM
Autumn feels like it's here today in South Eastern Michigan. Feels so nice...
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/05/11 10:33 PM
I'm told it's DIVINE outside today. But I can't be bothered to go check...
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 12:09 AM
It's like 60 degrees here today...it was in the 90's a few days ago.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 12:19 AM
Highs only in the '80s here in Charlie-town, this week! Can you hear that? That's the sound of my power bill dropping! laugh
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 01:07 AM
Where I'm at, it's currently 58°.

Just walked the dog, and I loved the coolness.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Ram Boy:
Where I'm at, it's currently 58°.

Just walked the dog, and I loved the coolness.
In the same situation here...been about that all day. Beautiful I tells ya!
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 03:57 AM
Speaking of beautiful, Dev, I saw the most amazing clouds as I was walking the dog. They were rushing in overhead from the North (thanks Canada!), and the setting sun was turning their undersides into a churning sea of gold/violet/pink/apricot.

It blew away every special effect I'd ever seen in the movies.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 04:03 AM
Very cool. We had one night a few weeks ago where the sky was pink, purple, yellow and orange in about an hours time. Way cool, yet bizarre at teh same time.

That and I saw a cloud that looked like the Slave One the other day.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Dev - Em:

That and I saw a cloud that looked like the Slave One the other day.
SWEET! Didn't think to snap a pic, though, eh? frown
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 04:08 AM
The camera is broken or else I would have.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/11 11:51 AM
It is definitely Autumn here this morning in southern Ontario - brrrrrr shudder
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/03/11 04:14 AM
It's here.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/03/11 07:27 AM
It's getting a bit cooler here too, but certainly nothing like in the temperate zones of the world.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/03/11 10:29 AM
Is it over yet??
Not that I'm looking forward to winter or anything!! shudder
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/04/11 04:18 AM
Love this weather. Went without a coat today. Nice cool crisp day.

Note: having good insulation around the midsection helps. wink
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/04/11 05:42 AM
Couple of different versions of a Classical piece from China called "Harvest Celebration" (or "Celebration of a Rich Harvest").

First (I love how Violin Lad breaks a string and just keeps playing! cool )

Second

I got hooked listening to this because of a 2002 Shanghai Quartet CD I have. Definitely sounds like leaves whirling in a bracing November wind, or the farmhands rushing to get the last of the fruit indoors before the frost.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/04/11 12:07 PM
All the leaves changing colour and the "crisp fall weather" nonesense is lost on me. After living in Canada for almost 42 years that is.

I know, I know .... MOVE TO A WARMER COUNTRY!!!

I get that a lot! lol
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/04/11 12:28 PM
FK, when you live in a place where it's over 90F/32C every day from May to September, "crisp fall weather" when it finally comes at the end of October is a wonderful thing! laugh
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/06/11 11:45 AM
I bet.

Now imagine the horror you would feel after about a month of that "wonderful crisp fall weather" and it gets even colder, and THEN you wake up one morning to discover you're buried in 5 feet of snow ... unable to open your front door, and even if you did the roads aren't plowed yet so you ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon. Time to get out the old shovel!
Hope you're in shape, maybe do some stretches before you head out for that hour - hour and a half of back-breaking snow shovelling.
Gee, maybe I SHOULD have invested in that snow blower that went on clearance at the end of last winter!

Not such a wonderful thing at this point.
I'm just sayin' ...

But I'm not bitter.
lol
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/06/11 01:18 PM
I can't wait. nod
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/07/11 12:48 PM
That's it ... I'm taking all the snow that falls on my property this year and dumping it on your driveway!
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/08/11 04:53 AM
Feel free. The snow plow in my neighborhood does all the time.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/08/11 12:37 PM
If they ever did that to me here I'd have their hides!
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/09/11 01:20 AM
Hmmm...wonder if I could borrow the truck and plow...

Time for a road trip hon!
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/09/11 01:04 PM
You DO and I'll give you such a pinch!
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/09/11 01:37 PM
He said snowplow, not elephant gun !
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/09/11 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
He said snowplow, not elephant gun !
lol You're awesome Rocky!!!
I have the utmost respect for those that have Bugs Bunny on their top of mind! smile
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/10/11 12:13 AM
Are you saying that Rocky is wearing a gray toupe made of rabbit fur?
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/10/11 03:38 AM
Dude, you can interpret what I say any way you like! smile
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/10/11 03:40 AM
You Wascawy Wabbit!
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/10/11 12:39 PM
At least the rain that came down yesterday wasn't snow!! shudder
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/10/11 08:18 PM
The baking urge is strong in me this week, because of the cool weather.

Apple-cranberry pie or lemon cake? I'm taking your votes NOW!

MatterEaterLad FruitBoy
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/11/11 01:35 AM
We had some flakes falling today...melted as soon as they hit the wet ground though.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/11/11 01:35 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by cleome45:
<strong>The baking urge is strong in me this week, because of the cool weather.

drool
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/13/11 02:09 PM
Actually today is supposed to climb to a record 15 degrees C around here!
Hey, maybe autumn is changing direction!!!

SUMMER'S BACK!!!!! laugh
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/13/11 06:53 PM
At a previous job, in winter...it would be about 18-19 Celsius inside the shop.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/13/11 06:55 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by cleome45:

drool
I'm thinking tomorrow I'll do gingerbread, too!

Bring an extra fork. wink
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/14/11 03:58 AM
I''ll be sure to pack the stretchy pants as well.

laugh
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/14/11 12:18 PM
Never let us see you in those, ok??

rotflmao
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/14/11 03:29 PM
Be nice or I'm giving your share of gingerbread to Manitoba.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/15/11 12:08 AM
Originally posted by cleome45:
Be nice or I'm giving your share of gingerbread to Manitoba.
I don't do "nice".

Now hand over all the gingerbread and nobody gets hurt!

wink
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/15/11 03:10 AM
Originally posted by future king:
Never let us see you in those, ok??

rotflmao
Pictures of me in bike shorts are about to be emailed buddy...

laugh
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/15/11 09:54 AM
Ok, I'll have the chlorine bleach handy, for eye-washing afterwards.
tongue
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/16/11 10:31 AM
Originally posted by cleome45:
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by cleome45:

drool
I'm thinking tomorrow I'll do gingerbread, too!

Bring an extra fork. wink [/b]
*gets in line before all that delicious gingerbread disappears*
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/16/11 01:00 PM
Too late bud - *BURP!* - I just had the last piece.

Next time.

Cleome!!!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/16/11 01:18 PM
Legion World is in desperate need of a Cleome Ginger bread recipe!
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/17/11 05:42 AM
Who's Cleome Ginger?

;-)
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/17/11 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Legion World is in desperate need of a Cleome Ginger bread recipe!
PRESTO!

MatterEaterLad
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/17/11 12:53 PM
That recipe sounds seriously delicious!
The wife and I are trying this on the weekend.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/17/11 02:58 PM
I hope it lives up to the hype. [is nervous]
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/17/11 04:08 PM
I'm sure it will.
You have not let us down yet! smile

Besides, I've never met a gingerbread that I didn't love! love
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/18/11 01:50 AM
We got some snow flurries today!!! YAY!!!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/18/11 03:26 AM
It was pretty raw for PDX today, but since I kept moving while outdoors it really wasn't too bad.

The fallen leaves are soaked, though. Getting them raked this weekend is gonna' be a royal pain. I'm glad the trash service implemented more frequent pickups of "green" stuff, though. At least it won't be sitting around in the garage 'til freakin' January and February like last year.
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/18/11 04:08 AM
WE GOT SOME DAMNED SNOW FLURRIES TODAY!!! mad mad mad
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/18/11 05:30 AM
We got some snow flurries today!!! YAY!!!
laugh
Posted By: future king Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/18/11 12:31 PM
[b]We got some snow flurries today!!! YAY!!!
laugh [/b]
WE GOT SOME DAMNED SNOW FLURRIES TODAY!!!

lol
wink
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/27/11 08:13 PM
Chill November brings the blast
Hark, the leaves are whirling fast!

And they really are. Right outside my window. The poplar leaves are small and yellow, so against the gray sky and the evergreens they look pretty damn dramatic as they come down.

The Sid was disturbed by the neighbors' leaf blower this morning. Can't say I blame him. Leaf blowers on your lawn, people? C'mon! Unless you're ninety years old or in traction, suck it up and use a rake!

shake
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/20/11 10:29 AM
Last chance for autumn...

and re: leaf blowers - someone wrote that running a leaf blower was like taking a chain saw through a Mozart concerto.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/20/12 12:35 AM
Wow, almost totally dark inside at 7:34pm --a solid hour earlier than just a couple weeks ago!

Autumn will be here soon and I can't wait!!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/20/12 12:47 AM
Although to be honest, this year wasn't nearly as bad as last year or 2010. June and July were absolutely horrid but like in 2009 (documented earlier in this thread-- I love that!!), our August has been surprisingly mild-esque thus far. A handful of days so far with highs only in the 80s and not the standard 90-100s.

Still, Summer can kiss my delightful ass. Bring on the cool!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/20/12 06:09 AM
this eve was very autumnal in feel - warm and breezy but not hot. Even the first noticeable traces of small leaves down on some of the trees.

the seasons are not as powerful and different as they traditionally are back home, but I always enjoy seeing the hints of autumn at this time of year.
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/12 07:29 AM
Yes! Autumn approaches!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/12 07:44 AM
Forecast calls for highs of 88-90 and lows of 68-72. I approve.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/12 06:32 AM
Saturday was very autumnal out here in the SF Bay area. Gone back to summery since then, with some cool eves/early morns.
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/12 07:11 AM
It is still nice and warm here, 27C today and it is still 18C outside now (at 0100am).
However it is getting dark much earlier, dark around 0900pm now. Soon it'll be sundown by 0430pm frown
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/09/12 12:59 PM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/09/12 01:38 PM
We got down to about 65F this morning here in Houston, which is the coolest temperature we've had since May. The high today may not hit 90F, which would be the first non-rainy day that's happened in about as long.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/09/12 04:19 PM
Had the windows open all night (they still are). It got down to the 50s! *dreamy sigh* 75 right now. *dreamy sigh*

Not to worry, I hear we will be trending up to awful temps again this week. August may have been milder than normal but September has been a hot brutal pain in the ass until yesterday! *agitated grunt*
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/12 01:37 PM
BRRRRR-- it's 53 degrees this morning! That's the same as 32 degrees in non-Southern states, as is well-documented by my patented 'southern temperature conversion formula'.

Must go back to bed and wrap up in comforter!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/12 02:03 PM
I've never been able to figure out how Pi works in the southern temperature conversion formula!
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/12 02:46 PM
We're having highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s. We call that Fall in Texas.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/12 10:00 PM
I think I can safely say fall is here in Memphis... highs 70s/lows 50s. I'm so excited-! If these temps hold, we might actually have a REAL winter this year!

If it gets hot again, you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be here bitching about it.
Posted By: Jerry Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/12 10:33 PM
I'll take your word for it. I'm at a stage in my life where betting my sweet bippy is not a good thing for anyone involved. There can be no winners in that proposition.

After years in the desert - unfortunately not on a horse with no name- I'm enjoying the early signs of fall.
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/12 11:27 PM
Its Autumn here in Northern Alberta, still warm though, around 8C in the mornings and up to near 20C in the afternoon...which leads to a little story -

Around a week or two ago a new supervisor was hired here. He is not from the area however, he is from the American Virgin Islands.
His first day on site was a balmy 11C to start the day. He was utterly frozen, had never been so cold in his life and was wearing longjohns to stay warm (and he has worn a pair every workday since)
So, his nickname is now "Longjohn"
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/20/12 01:00 AM
It was rather dark and gray today for the first time in ages. I was pleased.

Still no rain, though.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/20/12 01:53 AM
Still raining over here tongue Should be that way until November.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/20/12 02:03 AM
The tree in my backyard is dumping heaps of leaves into my pool... I spent over an hour this afternoon cleaning them out... amazing how something that was bringing me such joy a few weeks ago is now something I can't wait to be done with...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/12 05:32 PM
Ironic to be hearing Orange Pekoe's Heavenly Summertime on iTunes right now.

Well, I don't know if I'd call this summer "heavenly," but at least I was employed through almost all of it. That's something.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/12 06:32 PM
Autumn kicked in the front door today. Cold and wet, and Power Boy has a space-cold. I stayed inside all day.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/12 09:17 PM
Been cloudy. Haven't noticed any rain, though. Still dry. The sun pops out now and again.

A scattering of leaves here and there show color, but nothing like the homelands. I miss autumn in the Hudson Valley.

Yesterday was the first long-sleeve shirt dayof. The season. Fitting for equinox. Today is a smidgeon warmer, but not much.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/12 09:31 PM
86 degrees, my FAT ASS! *hurls ashtray*
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/12 09:55 PM
I am freezing my knockers off sitting in front of the heater.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/12 01:26 AM
And I hear it is supposed to hit 90 the rest of the week before cooling back down to the 70s Sunday. *hurls multiple ashtrays*
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/12 09:29 AM
Fluffy socks!!
Posted By: Jerry Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/12 10:00 PM
I got my Pier One Autumn art catalogue in the mail today!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/12 10:39 PM
mad The cold weather is here mad
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/03/12 03:21 AM
No cold weather here in Georgia yet, but some leaves are just starting to change.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/03/12 03:54 AM
Sweatshirt and sweatpants tonight! It's supposed to hit the 80s again soon (BAH!) and then dip to the 50s (RAH!)!
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/09/12 12:39 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/09/12 12:39 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/09/12 12:47 AM
Best double-post ever. That cover is a gem.

Since a vicious cold front blew through Friday night, it's been lows in the 40s and highs in the 50s! Should be creeping back up to lows in 50s/highs in 70s, but overall very nice!
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/09/12 12:55 AM
Oops! I've been making a lot of double and triple posts lately.

Since ya like it, I'll keep 'em both. Suits the subject, doesn't it? Rake up the leaves, and in no time you have to do it again.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/09/12 01:00 AM
It's nice to see it on both shades of background too. It POPS slightly more on the gray.
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/09/12 01:06 AM
Ah, but I say the second. October's Bright Blue Weather, y'know!
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/09/12 01:21 AM
[Linked Image]

^What does that guy know??
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/10/12 03:19 AM
[Linked Image]

Everyone loves Autumn!
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/11/12 03:30 AM
Mr. Autumn Man Walking Down Street With Cup Of Coffee, Wearing Sweater Over Plaid Collared Shirt
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/12/12 06:41 AM
We have some decent autumn coloring here and there, especially on campus. I don't remember it being so good out here last fall. Maybe it was the rain, or maybe last year just lowered my expectations for this year.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/12/12 08:52 PM
Now this is news I like to read. smile

It's inched back up into the 70s but at least it is very cloudy, so I won't start bitching... yet.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/12/12 08:56 PM
Also, I have decided today is perfect "stack of comics reading" weather, so I am going offline to do just that.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/12/12 11:30 PM
Apparently some snow in the homelands today, according to a friend's FB post.
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/13/12 11:36 PM
[Linked Image]

Gag: clunker.
Girls and the wind: cute.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/14/12 12:59 AM
Wonderfully cool weather here in Michigan...although it has been rainy today.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/14/12 11:00 PM
Here too. Not so cool as to have to close the windows yet.
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/23/12 06:52 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/12 10:06 PM
I should be raking leaves. But the leaf bags I bought are still in the car. I keep forgetting to take them out.

sigh
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/12 10:41 AM
After several days with highs in the 80s... in late October *GLARES AT MOTHER NATURE* it is finally cooling off. Today's high only in the 50s (it's already cool!!).

Now can we keep it that way, please?
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/27/12 12:31 AM
It is 39 degrees here. 'nuff said.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/27/12 12:47 AM
There's a storm a'brewing...
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/27/12 12:52 AM
Sandy is changing her name to Frankenstorm!

I guess ... Stormaggeden was played out.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/27/12 12:54 AM
[Linked Image]

It looks like a giant red sperm is attacking New England...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/27/12 01:40 AM
Oh, Sharky... shake

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Lardy's gonna' be so mad that you got to make that comparison before he did!

poke </span></span>
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/27/12 06:04 AM
I spent 3 hours shoveling snow today.
Tired of winter already
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/29/12 10:14 AM
I was just going to say ... forget Autumn it feels like winter. My face is still cold from being outside 15 minutes ago.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/29/12 11:13 AM
It was a coooold weekend (dipping down to 38 degrees) but its creeping back up, and will be back in the 70s this week. *glare*

Also, longtime readers of this thread may be interested to note that yesterday I killed a wasp that had gotten into my Grandparents' house. A WASP. ON OCTOBER 28th. *IRKED* Here's hoping November will be bug-free but I doubt it. *hurls Raid spray*
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 05:11 PM
AW YEAH AUTUMN!
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 05:36 PM
Right now I'm sitting under the ceiling fan in my living room as the AC techs install a brand-new unit. High today will be 95F. Autumn can't get here soon enough!
Posted By: Conjure Lass Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 05:56 PM
I love Autumn. It's usually so pretty and nice and a perfect time to get out and enjoy the weather.

That, and Autumn in Missouri means...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 06:11 PM
I've noticed that nightfall is already noticeably earlier....
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 06:14 PM
Yep!

I may have bumped this thread a little early, but it's okay, I'm a lord.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 06:22 PM
Can't wait! Fall beers are out way early this year but I don't mind a all--Ben drinking Ocktoberfests, Pumpkin Ales and Harvests for two weeks!

In New England it's been a nice cool August (not counting today), very much like Fall. I've loved it.

Kids back at school and college, football about to begin, apples / squash / etc are in season, general buzz going on. I love it!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 06:25 PM
I am trying my hand at fall-blooming bulbs this year. I ordered six Colchicums and am readying a space for them.

Colchicums are weird in that the leaves bloom in Spring, then die away in Summer. The flowers show up by themselves in Fall, so it's kind of like you have a big crocus that pops up out of nowhere, like a toadstool.

The other great thing is that they are highly poisonous to my arch-enemies: the squirrels. So if they mess with my bulbs this time (as they always do), the penalty will be severe, perhaps even fatal. (I told you to leave my bulbs alone, you little finks! RIP!) evil
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 06:26 PM
Hey Cobie! If you have deciduous trees in your yard, do you rake the leaves in big piles and throw the kids and/or Pickles into them?
Posted By: Conjure Lass Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by cleome47

The other great thing is that they are highly poisonous to my arch-enemies: the squirrels. So if they mess with my bulbs this time (as they always do), the penalty will be severe, perhaps even fatal. (I told you to leave my bulbs alone, you little finks! RIP!) evil

I have the same problem with them on the bird feeders breaking things. I often have to resort to lethal measures. Funny that it does NOTHING to decrease the squirrel population. XD
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 07:13 PM
lol

Squirrels will outlast all humanity. Whether or not they can defeat the rats, roaches, blackberry bushes, and crows to become the planet's new dominant species...?

hmmm

I'm not sure. But if I were going to design a post-Apocalyptic RP game, that's what it would be about.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord
Hey Cobie! If you have deciduous trees in your yard, do you rake the leaves in big piles and throw the kids and/or Pickles into them?
When we bought the house at the end of November last year, one of the first things I did was chase my eldest (at the time, my youngest wasn't walking) and Pickles around the yard, and into piles of leaves! I have a really nice sized yard that has a healthy amount of trees, so we get leaves like crazy.

Both boys love the backyard (the youngest now walking since January or so, probably once he saw his older brother having so much fun running around and playing in snow), so we will DEFINITELY be doing that again this year!

When they saw me trimming the hedges in the spring and throwing the sticks into the woods behind the yard (there's another 30 feet of pure woods), they started playing a game where they bundle up all the sticks in the yard and throw them over the fence. I definitely don't discourage it.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 07:24 PM
BTW, Pickles also shares your arch-enemy. Something else else about squirrels calls back millennia of hunter instincts in Pickles and all he cares about it death and blood.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/28/13 07:36 PM
nod I could tell from the start that Pickles was more than just a pretty face...
September now! We're getting there!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/03/13 07:03 PM
Still sunshine-y hot here frown
Dust off your snuggies, kids!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/13 05:35 PM
It dosn't seem like Autumn is anywhere close ... the sun is burning my skin off. (hotter than summer proper right now)
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/13 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
BTW, Pickles also shares your arch-enemy. Something else else about squirrels calls back millennia of hunter instincts in Pickles and all he cares about it death and blood.

YES! yes.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/13 05:37 PM
The rainy season appears to have started way early here. There were already a couple of big rainstorms starting a week or so ago, and it's coming down right now, too.

It's more normal for the rain to not start in earnest until late September or early October.

Oh, well. At least I don't have to water the plants today.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/06/13 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord

In London, tourists come and take photos sitting in the leaves and/or throwing the leaves up into the air on themselves.

The strange thing is ... the leaves are never dry like in the tv shows ... (probably and American cultural export) ... the leaves are all muddy and dirty.

It's like an SNL skit.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/08/13 02:28 AM
I always regretted not being able to stay in the USA until autumn. I was most looking forward to celebrating Halloween like the Americans do!
So what's Halloween like at home? Celebrated just by expats, or...?
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/13 12:14 AM
The Londoners also celebrate Halloween like Americans do.

I think Americans probably have the Irish beat when it comes to celebrating St Patrick's day though.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/13 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Power Boy

... and by this I mean ... dressing slutty on October 31st.

wink
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/13 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I always regretted not being able to stay in the USA until autumn. I was most looking forward to celebrating Halloween like the Americans do!

HK has a Halloween event similar.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/13 02:36 PM
Autumn is cool with me, I can still wear shorts to work here in South Carolian. I remember playing tackle football in shorts and bare feet one christmas break as a kid. Loves me some hot weather.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/13 05:00 PM

... and by this I mean ... dressing slutty on October 31st.

wink

Gentlemen first. poke
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/13 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante

There are some Halloween parties ove rhere, but what I was really looking forward to was trick-or-treating in a suburban neighborhood. While I was in LA, we lived in one such neighborhood in Burbank.

HK has a Halloween event similar.

HK's a bit too crowded for me, but thanks Peebz tongue I think there are some major parties brimming with alcohol here in Manila as well.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/13 03:50 PM

There are some Halloween parties over here, but what I was really looking forward to was trick-or-treating in a suburban neighborhood. While I was in LA, we lived in one such neighborhood in Burbank.

Oh, and not just by expats. But, I find most of the big parties are either a) thrown in clubs and attended by bratty rich kids, or b) private affairs. So, not quite the same. But locals and expats alike do celebrate.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/13 05:16 PM
It's been eons since I've felt the urge to dress up. There's always the option of donning a bathrobe and slippers as a costume to greet the trick or treaters. Stuff an old TV Guide in your pocket, clench a beer can or cigarette in your teeth, and-- voila! You're dressed as a casualty of America's "recovery." tongue
Less than a week, people!

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/16/13 11:06 AM
It's been eons since I've felt the urge to dress up. There's always the option of donning a bathrobe and slippers as a costume to greet the trick or treaters. Stuff an old TV Guide in your pocket, clench a beer can or cigarette in your teeth, and-- voila! You're dressed as a casualty of America's "recovery." tongue

For the past few years I've just worn black slacks, a white button-down shirt, and a bowtie. Boom! I'm a waiter!
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/16/13 01:58 PM
Yesterday it was 24C
Today the forecast calls for 22C
On Wednesday it calls for -2C and Snow.

Yippy, here comes another 6 or 7 months of winter mad
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/16/13 09:36 PM
We're hitting 50s-60s. The lake tend to moderate out temp. Keeps us cool in the Spring and early Summer and warm in the fall and early Winter.

Best year ever, we had deep snow on the ground and the lake was frozen in late November and stayed that way until Feb. None of that grey slush. Could cross country ski in the nearby golf course nearly all Winter. Did have to deal with constant snow mobile noise in the parks across the street but they were having fun.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/17/13 12:46 AM
It is 90 degrees here today. People are frying like bacon!

Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/17/13 12:48 AM
I am always so disappointed when no one comes trick or treating ...
the fancy malls all do trick or treat events here now.

frown

shrug

Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/17/13 12:56 AM

Rub it in. Send some of that heat my way.
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/17/13 05:02 AM

Mmmmmm, bacon.

Wait, of yeah....I'll trade you some of the 90 degrees for some of the -40 i'm going to be getting in december and january
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/18/13 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Viridis Lament

Mmmmmm, bacon.

Wait, of yeah....I'll trade you some of the 90 degrees for some of the -40 i'm going to be getting in december and january

Holy nipples Batman. Where're you going to be?
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/13 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

Mmmmmm, bacon.

Same place I am every winter, Northern Alberta
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/13 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

Mmmmmm, bacon.

Same place I am every winter, Northern Alberta

Seems like it should be Northern Alberta and More Northern Alberta.

Happy Freezing!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/13 04:49 AM
Autumn mornings here ... Brimstone afternoons ...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/13 05:07 PM
I demand to know if any LWers ever had that haircut!
I was going to demand that he GET a haircut!

Love autumn, not that scraggly mop!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/13 06:53 PM
It's like a blonde Paul McCartney! I just can't process it.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/13 10:39 PM
Eh, he should just grow it out, then he'd look like Quasar circa 1992. love
Autumn is within our grasp now!! I am v. happy.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/21/13 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq

Rub it in. Send some of that heat my way.

Wait. Did I wander into the "Bad Pickup Lines" thread by mistake?

faint
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/21/13 08:30 PM
Since Autumn has decided to not come to me, I will be heading to Autumn later today.
It is now Autumn! (In the Northern Hemisphere, that is!)
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/13 03:07 PM
I have made it to Autumn ... It feel so nice I have the windows open to let the cool air in.

I plan to spend the dreary day inside on the internet, napping, and possibly watching tv.
Teeds' windows open and Snuggie on! (I wasn't kidding about that.)
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/13 08:11 PM
The cool winds are blowing, but the leaves are still green. This is PDX, where some holdouts will still have leaves on them by early December.

My Colchicums are planted, so let's see if they do anything nice before being toted off by the Suicide Squirrel Squad. I also planted a bunch of Fall-blooming Cyclamen. 8 bulbs. So far one has bloomed. I was assured by the seller that they are one of those perennials that takes a season or two to "get comfortable" in a new locale. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/13 08:21 PM
"The Suicide Squirrel Squad." Suddenly I have this vision of squirrels dressed like Deadshot, Nightshade, Bronze Tiger, Captain Boomerang...
I had a coat on. A coat!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/13 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
"The Suicide Squirrel Squad." Suddenly I have this vision of squirrels dressed like Deadshot, Nightshade, Bronze Tiger, Captain Boomerang...

If nobody's posted such an image on Deviant Art by the time you're done reading this, just shoot MLLASH a handful of Sonic coupons.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/13 04:57 AM
I had a coat on. A coat!

Of what? Panko breading? Chocolate? Finely ground Brazil nuts?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/13 01:23 PM
I have a mini space-cold, a by-product of my favorite season. Welcome to having a kid in preschool I guess.

But on the plus side, I'm wearing a coat as well!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/13 02:02 PM
I turned on the heater the other night. However, Autumn and Late Summer still are fighting it out. It is really warm today.

Both fans on!
I had a coat on. A coat!

Of what? Panko breading? Chocolate? Finely ground Brazil nuts?

I wouldn't mind having on some pain au chocolat. That sounds really good right now!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/13 08:28 PM
I wouldn't mind having on some pain au chocolat. That sounds really good right now!

Just had! with a nice cup of early evening coffee. In the fresh air of the garden no less (although it's a bit damp for it to be honest)

This after a nice run into the countryside. It's a little early here for lots of autumnal changes, but there are a few small chestnuts on the ground and a few leaves fluttering down when the wind gets up.

There was a large japonica in someone's garden that had already turned a vivid reddish colour.

But what happened to summer?

Spring
Summer
Fall
Ouch!

Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/13 08:43 PM
An early evening coffee in the autumn, especially on the countryside, is heavenly.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/26/13 04:15 AM
I walked into the office this morning, it was summertime.

I walked out of the office this evening, it was autumn.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/13 03:40 AM
it got down to the fifties last night here. I broke out the thermal underwear and down coat, scarf, and started puttin up plastic on tha windows. We hunkered down and waited out the snowstorm. it was touch and go at fifty nine degrees, but I let my chest hair out and blanketed the family.

Bwaaaahahahahahah.
OCTOBER.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/13 05:50 AM
Not Autumny enough for me yet here. However, aside from a mere handful of days, this past Summer was the mildest one I can remember.
Posted By: .. Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/13 08:54 AM
Never got the snow that was predicted the last time I posted but its cold enough at night for it.

Daytime is still ok, a little cool but not cold. Most of the trees have lost their leaves
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/13 01:34 PM
crispy leaves falling from the trees now. Just the right texture for jumping in, but without the volume. So, it's more of a shuffle through them.

Pretty mild though.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/02/13 04:26 PM
leaves (and apples) coming down, snow on the higher peaks.

we apparently don't get a ton of autumn colour here, but there are bits here and there.

nights get down close to freezing, days are cool to mild.

nice.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/02/13 05:16 PM
Just turned the furnace on. It's official. I'm a total climate wimp.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/02/13 08:55 PM
Still enjoying a pleasant brisk mornings / warm afternoons weather rhythm.

I'm gearing up for the weekend too: a few more autumn beers (Sea Dog Pumpkin being one I'm most looking forward too) and on Saturday morning I'm taking the kids to a local farm to check out some animals / play around, and also pick up fresh tomatoes, onions, apples and broccoli.

Also, maybe some squash. Is there a squash thread? There should be. I'm going to do a olive oil / sea salt roasted squash thingy that I've always liked. But I'd love to learn some more recipes / soups for squash.

Then its a little marathon of the White Queen on Starz to see if the rest of the series is as good as the opener was. As a history buff, I love this period of British history, though even I get super-confused by all these damn Plantagenets, Tudors, Nevilles, Lancshires, etc. I just always assumed the line of Coulthard ruled England.

Meanwhile, the awesome array of trees in my backyard are changing colors and a few leaves are dropping. My sons and I went exploring and I told them I liked "the orange ones" so whenever my oldest son sees an orange leaf, he grabs it and runs to me yelling "Dad! An orange one! An orange one!"
What kind of squash?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/05/13 08:45 PM
Just took a stroll out to the yard and the first of my Colchicums is sprouting!

w00t!

cleome: 1, Squirrels: 0

tongue
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/10/13 05:41 PM
Yesterday, I got fifteen Rembrandt tulips planted. Today, I'm gonna' try and do the other fifteen, or maybe some Bergamo lillies. I haven't decided yet.

Portland is the moisture capital of the world, and a couple of the bulbs had some mildew/mold spots when they arrived. So the first thing I had to do yesterday was unpack them, roll them in sulfur dust, and then put them in net bags until I have time to plant them.

Of course, the whole time I'm going in and out of the house getting this done, Jerkface the cat is trying to sneak past me so he can go pick another fight with the neighbor's cat. So I'm trying to keep him contained without getting sulfur dust on his coat.

shake Cats...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/10/13 06:20 PM
Just back from sitting with the cat that has adopted me, watching the slightly bleached blue sky of early evening.

Cats Streaky

Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/11/13 02:42 AM
Still annoyingly warm here. Flies. Flies everywhere at my Grandparents' house! UGGH.

Which may help explain this particular post from last August:

http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/grannys-worst-enemy/

Rumor has it that next week might see some major cooling off...
We need more Secret Granny Code Translation!!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/11/13 04:38 AM
Tell me about it. Her crazy has gone from 0 to 60 lately...
Let's not get Barney Oldfield up in this thread!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/11/13 04:48 AM
You must be having dizzy spells.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/12/13 05:19 PM
Shopping list:

Peat Moss
Manure
Mulch
Stepping Stones

My work hours are being ramped up come Monday and time's a-wastin'. sigh

Still have to mix up that squirrel repellent, too.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/13/13 08:02 AM
It's getting slightly cooler here, but not so much that I can wear a jacket outside. I blame the humidity.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/14/13 04:02 AM
A gorgeous day today. Cool and sunny, with just a very faint breeze. I wish I could bottle it for everyone on Legion World.

nod
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/14/13 08:09 AM
the residents of Kandor were bitter about having to move out to enable cleome47's plan smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/16/13 01:27 PM
*gasp* cleome is really Brainiac!

She's been fooling us all along!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/16/13 07:53 PM
One of us should get help...>thump<

"Hey! Who put this glass barrier over the road... oh noes! we're in Kandor!

Temperature dropped just enough to go from "nice autumnal" to "dig out warmer jacket" autumnal. Horse Chestnuts have fallen. Children have taken them all. Small animals plotting bloody revenge.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/16/13 08:07 PM
Autumn skipped me. Winter is bloody here already.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/16/13 09:01 PM
I'm not convinced we really had a summer.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/20/13 02:43 AM
We had a very loooooooong summer. Thankfully, the weather has started cooling - I was able to walk 3 blocks last night without turning into a sweaty mess smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/20/13 07:06 AM
I wasn't kidding about the revenge of small animals. I could swear they've left a treacherous path of horse chestnuts to make me slip on purpose.

On the look out for their leader...Squirrel Girl.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/20/13 09:39 AM
Careful there thothkins. You know Squirrel Girl can take down ANYONE.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/20/13 12:39 PM
But I'm in my Thanos costume......Aaaaaargggh! Not the face! Don't claw the face !!!!!...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/20/13 09:16 PM
I've already run through the entire big-a** bottle of Cayenne pepper that I bought to help deal with the squirrels. Only half my bulbs are in, so it's back to Cash & Carry this afternoon.

[grumble]
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/21/13 07:01 AM
Although the Philippines is tropical, there's a small stretch of road where squirrels live. They only come out in the early morning though.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/21/13 06:27 PM
While it varies for others I put things out for the squirrels. I like to help them out.

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/23/13 04:46 AM
They're certainy less pesky than rats or locusts. And besides, you wouldn't want Squirrel Girl to come stomping into your house!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/23/13 07:09 PM
i think Squirrel Girl would be a lot nicer to deal with than Locust Girl though.

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/13 01:12 AM
And then there's Giant Spider Girl...
Posted By: Emily Sivana Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/13 03:16 AM
There are at least eight women with spider-related powers in the Marvel Universe.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/13 03:36 AM
Wow. Who knew? So that's Julia Carpenter, Jessica Drew, Spider-Girl (dunno about spelling), Madame Web...

To get back on track with autumn, it's also starting to get much cooler here. I don't sweat as much when I walk to work in the mornings.

I'm glad our office celebrates Halloween too. It's a very simple celebration, but at least we have something.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/13 07:55 PM
I'm not sure we'll even have that a simple Halloween work thing this year. I think all the people who did that sort of thing have long since left.

Personally, I can take it or leave it at work. Bah! Pumpkins!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/13 09:09 PM
I love pumpkins. Especially when I turn them into soup!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/13 05:51 AM
This is, like, the first October I can remember since the 80s that it has been actually cold (only at night, so far).
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/25/13 09:43 PM
What if you feel the cold more as you get older? It really messes with you trying to think of hotter or colder years. For this reason, I hereby declare ageing as silly!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/26/13 04:20 AM
I really do look the black-and-orange color combinations of Halloween. It just looks so awesome.

sigh. I was so looking forward to Halloween when I was in LA a few years back too! I keep telling Blaze, we should hit the US of A during the fall season. Winter, you can experience elsewhere (like in Europe, Japan or South Korea). But if you want to experience Halloween, it should be in the USA!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Pumpkin decorating: done.

Pumpkin pie: let's eat!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/10/13 01:50 PM
I had pasta with roast squash the other day. Mmmm.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/15/13 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by thothkins
While it varies for others I put things out for the squirrels. I like to help them out.

I don't. They dig up my bulbs and relocate whatever they don't end up eating. This means that perfectly good plants end up sprouting between rocks or under the eaves of the house: the last places a sane person would want them, always.

Also, we have walnut trees all over my neighborhood. The trees are plenty annoying on their own, but add squirrels and you get more aggravation. Again, what they don't eat, they bury all over the yard, displacing other plants in the process. Then they lose track of what they hoarded, leaving you with a kajillion walnut saplings in the spring. Once those things get a foothold in the ground, it practically takes dynamite and a steam shovel to get them out again.

EAT FLAMING DEATH, SQUIRRELS!

[dumps another gallon drum of Cayenne pepper in the flower borders]
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/15/13 07:58 PM
I went for "varies for others" but "Eat flaming death, squirrels!" works too smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/19/13 06:09 PM
Northern Thailand weather is perfect this time f year smile
Posted By: String Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/19/13 06:23 PM
Here in the Bright Sunny South, the last few days have been quite mild, temps in the mid 60s, nice breeze, felt really good outside.

Today however, temps fell back into the lower 50s, brisk cool wind and overnight lows in the 30s.

Now I'm debating if I can summon the will and drive to wage war on the leaves outside. Simply laying there, piling up on the ground, they mock me, daring me to come rake them all up and drag them into the woods to be forgotten. Curse you leaves!!!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/19/13 08:12 PM
I would consider leafing them alone.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/27/13 05:34 AM
I think I would like to move out of the city. It's so much hotter here than in the rural areas!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/27/13 07:46 PM
oh I do like to live beside the seaside, oh I do like to live beside the sea...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/01/13 03:35 AM
Maybe I should take up an online job. Would also make my commute a lot less stressful!
Bah! Hardly no Autumn left!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/11/13 12:27 PM
We're into winter here now, technically. Very mild.

rushes off... creates giant Trojan Aardvark... pats it... rushes back...

Touch wood that it continues.

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/12/13 04:30 AM
It's pretty warm here even though it's December. Last year, I was able to walk three blocks in the morning without sweating. This year, I'm dripping all over after one and a half.

I blame global warming!
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/12/13 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by thothkins
giant Trojan Aardvark... pats it... Touch wood.

[my first thought did not relate to the classic Greek story.]
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/12/13 10:59 AM
Eeeeewwwwww.
Sleep well, thread. See you next year!
It's about that time....
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/02/14 03:54 AM
Fridge is full of pumpkin beers and Octoberfests!
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/02/14 04:00 AM
In the English-speaking world, Autumn begins with the Autumnal Equinox, September 23rd in 2014.

In other cultures, there is no autumn. Anciently, in many European countries, Summer and Winter ran from Equinox to Equinox, with the Summer Solstice being Mid-Summers Day, and the Winter Solstice being Mid-Winter’s Night. (Actually the beginnings of Summer and Winter for us moderns.)

In India and the Philippines, the “four” seasons were introduced by the English, Spanish, and Americans. Realistically, these areas of the world have only two seasons: the northern monsoon season, and the southern monsoon season.

Still, yay Autumn.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/02/14 03:49 PM
Yeah, no such thing as falling leaves of deciduous trees here.

In China and Vietnam, the Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated at the time the moon is roundest and brightest - the harvest moon, basically.
Things are proceeding nicely. Yes, yes they are.
Days noticeably shorter....
HOORAY!
Posted By: Emily Sivana Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/24/14 01:09 AM
I do like moon cakes with red bean paste. The ones filled with yellow stuff are not so good.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/24/14 07:29 AM
I think the yellow stuff might be salted eggs.
Posted By: Caliente Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/24/14 11:33 PM
I love the red paste! They're some kinda beans, I think? I dunno, they're delicious and that's all I care about. wink

Side note: I totally didn't realize autumn was coming until I saw this thread! Sometimes I think I may be slightly asleep at the wheel of life....
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/24/14 11:46 PM
There are
I think the yellow stuff might be salted eggs.

Salted duck egg yolks, representing the moon.

There are several traditional fillings, Red bean paste, Lotus nut paste, and chopped nuts candied into a gel.

I'm not a fan of any of them. They are loaded with fat. The traditional recipe for red bean paste, is beans, brown sugar, and schmaltz.

My great grandfather used to render his own schmaltz. If only he knew he could buy it at Jewish butchers.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/14 12:12 AM
Thanks for the info, TL.

An old story goes that these moon cakes were used to plan a successful rebellion. Messages were baked into the cakes with the time and place for an uprising against the... I think it was the Mongols who ruled China then. Too sleepy to check right now.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/14 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I do like moon cakes with red bean paste.

Here in South USA we like Moon Pies and RC Colas.

But that ain't got nothin' to do with Autumn.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/25/14 07:23 AM
Autumn goes well with pumpkin pie. But we don't have that here. Only Cream of Squash. Grandma's recipe!
Sweatpants Days Are Here Again!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/28/14 07:02 AM
Once, I was a boy of summer. Now, I'm a man of fall. Eventually I will be an old man, wondering what the fuck happened to springtime.
Put your sweatpants on.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/28/14 07:06 AM
They already are on. (yanks socks up to crotch)
Now put your earflap hat on so you can keep warm.

[Linked Image]

There ya go!
Posted By: Caliente Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/30/14 03:41 AM
Sweatpants Days Are Here Again!
I wasn't aware sweatpants days had ever left!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/30/14 03:47 AM
Autumn is my favorite season of the year. It's cold enough that I can justify wearing jackets, pants, and hats, but not so cold that I'm miserable. laugh

Plus, Halloween is during this season!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/14 06:06 AM
I wish Halloween celebrations here were more popular. Sigh.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/14 02:37 PM
We know autumn has arrived in Houston when the ten-day forecast has no days above 90F. grin
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/14 02:51 PM

When I was in Cebu, Halloween celebrations included a picnic in the cemetery & kids playing tag between the graves. I thought it was pretty cool.

Also the more serious cleaning up, memorializing the dead, etc. etc.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/14 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
We know autumn has arrived in Houston when the ten-day forecast has no days above 90F. grin

Oh please Rocky, you and I both know Houston will still probably get to 90F at least once during the "fall" there. tongue
Pie!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/14/14 05:27 AM
The leaves on campus are so beautiful!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/14/14 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

When I was in Cebu, Halloween celebrations included a picnic in the cemetery & kids playing tag between the graves. I thought it was pretty cool.

Also the more serious cleaning up, memorializing the dead, etc. etc.

Oh dear, I missed this reply. Yeah, in the Philippines, we celebrate All Saints' Day on November 1 and All Souls' Day on November 2. It's more about remembering the departed, rather than the costumes and fun of Halloween itself.

I like both dimensions of the season, though.
Ah, this thread.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/09/15 10:20 PM
NOT SOON ENOUGH!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/15 09:57 AM
[Linked Image]

Autumn on Rickshaw's lawn. The laughter, the adventure, the gunshots...
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/15 02:48 PM
If that was really Rick's lawn, there would be a lot more kids fleeing in terror.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/15 03:18 PM
That would make for a fun Halloween shtick. "If you can dodge my shots you get a treat!"
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/15 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Nostalgia Lad
If that was really Rick's lawn, there would be a lot more kids fleeing in terror.

No point in wasting your evening chasing them in ones and twos. A little patience to draw them *all* in ...
I have pumpkin pie and Cool Whip (fine, the store brand version) in the fridge as I type!!
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/10/15 03:19 AM
One ought to be able to make Cool Whip at home, using coconut oil and treacle, and a good food processor or blender. But I can't seem to find any recipes online. You would think...

Of course, sugar + heavy cream + stirring = whipped cream, which is a lot easier.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/10/15 04:53 AM
Get over it, Clad-in-green Girl, and start to notice that boy in the back row who quickly looks away when you look in his direction.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/10/15 07:50 AM
*wistful sigh*

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/22/15 02:14 PM
Ah, pretty falling leaves...
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/23/15 02:37 AM
He's stepping on a maple leaf. Is that Canadian treason?
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/23/15 03:26 AM
Maybe it was a treasonous leaf. Is it treasonous to subdue a traitor?
Feel free to pop by early, Autumn!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/16 07:02 PM
God I wish they'd release those pumpkin doughnuts from Entenmann's.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/16 07:25 PM
I guess I should be glad that only four of the next ten days will have temperatures above 90F. That first cool front (where nighttime lows get down into the low 60sF) usually comes through these parts some time in September. I'm ready. grin
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/16 09:46 PM
I love autumn. I went to Iceland in the fall. I really want to visit the USA during the fall too.
Tomorrow is forecast to be last warm day and then a quick slide in the mid 60s. YES.
I could feel it this morning.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/30/16 01:06 PM
I hope you asked for it's consent.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/30/16 01:14 PM
It's still been hot enough for AC around here but the mornings have been fantastic. A cool breeze with clear blue skies at 6:00 AM while I'm walking Pickles, and it gets me super-pumped for the day.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/10/16 05:29 AM
“Beware the autumn people… For some, autumn comes early, stays late through life…For these beings, fall is the ever normal season, the only weather, there be no choice beyond. Where do they come from? The dust. Where do they go? The grave. Does blood stir in their veins? No: the night wind. What ticks in their head? The worm. What speaks from their mouth? The toad. What sees from their eyes? The snake. What hears with their ear? The abyss between the stars. They sift the human storm for souls, eat flesh of reason, fill tombs with sinners. They frenzy forth. In gusts they beetle-scurry, creep, thread, filter, motion, make all moons sullen, and surely cloud all clear-run waters. The spider-web hears them, trembles- breaks. Such are the autumn people. Beware of them.”
– Ray Bradbury, “Something else else Wicked This Way Comes”
That's nice. Now make the autumn debutante some meatloaf!
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/16 10:04 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/16 03:12 AM
Cheerful words from radio host Clyde Lewis:

"The autumnal equinox happens on this day. It is a day of harvest and reflecting on the balance of light and darkness. It is a time where we prepare for our journey into the darkness of winter – which is beginning to look like a winter of our discontent."

Get out your striped woolen leggings and prepare!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/16 04:17 AM
My Gods, I think that's breathtakingly beautiful... sigh

...while at the same time, being a sobering reminder to keep our feet on the ground.

Thanks for sharing, FC.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/16 04:28 AM
Indeed, what Fanfie said
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/15/16 06:47 PM
Gutte tun, Teeds.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/15/16 08:34 PM
Crisp autumn air. I am so excited to experience that again.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/16/16 11:51 AM
[Linked Image]

Listen Donald, we can just about stand you showing off what you can do with duck poo, but the Lederhosen just has to go...
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/16/16 11:53 AM
^^ LOL lol
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/23/16 11:26 AM
Those lanterns are jacked
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/16 05:06 AM
I had roasted squash last night!
Posted By: Jfposey Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/24/16 06:19 AM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mmm, yes.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/17 02:51 PM
Ah, autumn on LW, when Teeds' posts and covers fall onto the faces of happy users, surprising them with their impact of a good kick. smile
Are you feeling lucky?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/12/17 01:00 AM
"Splendid decay... spiraling down... Black stem... orange trim...
With the slightest wind... I'm fallin' for you..."

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 11/12/17 11:27 AM
I love autumn love Fall colors in France are amazing. I went to this pretty little town called Provins, about an hour and a half outside Paris by train. Some of the best fall colors ever.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 05/29/18 11:47 PM
I miss autumn. Summer's just too warm.
Too early, but IDGAF. I'm already thinking of casseroles....
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 08:26 AM
The weather dipped below 20 degrees Celsius yesterday. It would heat up again when the sun came out, and cool down when the clouds came.

I wore a hoodie all throughout and it was marvelous
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 04:15 PM
There's definitely a chillier feel to the air today. Geese were flying away through the week too.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 04:23 PM
A friend is throwing a costume party next week. The theme is 1920's Paris. Good thing the weather is getting colder, men then seemed to wear suits all the time...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 04:40 PM
Wear a stereotypical Spanish outfit and declare yourself to be a time travelling Hemmingway going back to visit old haunts!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 04:41 PM
I would, but they might kick me out of Paris and send me to Madrid...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 04:54 PM
it makes sense to get rid of the mad by sending them to Mad rid.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 04:56 PM
Perhaps I'll be seeing you there, then smile tongue
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 06:15 PM
Barcelona! Sorry, this singing Queen songs seems to be spreading across threads now...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 06:23 PM
Sadly, I stopped living in Spain months ago. It’s just across the border though...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/26/18 07:07 PM
"borderline, feels like i'm going to lose my mind"
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 02:41 PM
SSummer and autumn are fighting a battle for dominance here in Paris. The temperature is rising again today, and will peak tomorrow; then dip again on Wednesday,until gradually rising through the weekend to a high of 28 Celsius on Monday. But past that the weather will cool sporadically until settling in the low 20s, and dipping past 20 consistently by the last week of September...

This announcement is brought to you by Seasonal Wars / aka Ibby has nothing better to do.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 04:44 PM
Terrible stereotype joke:-

SSummer and autumn are fighting a battle for dominance here in Paris.

Both surrender.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 05:17 PM
And just like that, 30,000 angry French people storm thoth lad's house wielding day-old baguettes (they would not care to waste the fresh ones) and empty bottles of their best wines.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 06:20 PM
And not even on Basteille day too. Bloomin' cheek!

Mind you, had it been Basteille day, in tribute to the start of the revolution, I'd have been out. Just like the vast majority of the prisoners that it held. There was only a handful left. The brave revolutionaries on Basteille day, (1 crushed by the drawbridge of the prison by his own side, and another kicked in the groin by the warden, as the mob beat him up) didn't have to face the anger of a Leia disturbed from her sleep. As the esteemed world correspondent Lady Eleanor Rigby said of events that day.

"The calls of freedom from corruption, nepotism and abuse from both church and state, despite falling into exactly that upon previous calls, were drowned out in a cacophony of screams as the mob found itself trapped in the garden courtyard of Mademoiselle Leia, slaughterer of the Mousketeers and she who uses the Eiffel tower to scratch her claws against. The blood flowed freely and there were doubts that there would be enough of them left to form another flawed republic. Behind those who fled, Leia didn't think the mound of corpses were too many."

Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 06:23 PM
Ah ah, you have offended the French again. It is not the Bastille Day, it is the Fete Nationale... and you must have the "e" at the end, because Fete is feminine, not masculine, so the adjective must be feminine... (Ibby obliquely complaining about how so many European languages have noun genders, when in English we treat most things as "neutral"). I had quite a debate on that with my Italian friend, who was like "but why, in English, do you base it on the person owning the thing?" And I'm like, "well, why in Italian must you say a car is feminine or masculine when it's not even alive?"
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 06:45 PM
Stereotype Lab Continues...

Sorry, Ibby. I got half way through the first sentence and fell into a grammar induced coma...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 06:52 PM
Oh, just wait until I tell you about the liaisons in pronunciation and the fact that each verb has to be conjugated differently for I, you singular, he/she/it, we, you plural, and they...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 07:14 PM
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/27/18 07:47 PM
From autumn to French, in one page. How delightfully on-topic of us tongue
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/29/18 04:55 PM
I thought that our discussion on the Fall of Empires was completely on topic. smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/29/18 09:56 PM
You're... not wrong.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/29/18 10:03 PM
Having done France I was all set to move onto the Fall of the British Empire. Just the thing to look out across darkening autumnal skies, and feel the cold come in... just like the cold creeping across one's chest as thought of the Empire slipping away hit home ... >sniff<
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/29/18 11:05 PM
It's always good to spread the insults around.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/18 09:25 AM
She certainly knows how to blend in.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/18 07:22 PM
Crumbs! I just did a Diana related gag on another thread before seeing this!? Co-inci-dink? I fink nots!

Kate isn't looking where she's going in that autumnal dress, ensuring that she's about to take a...fall

thumpity,..thumpity...thump... run little feets…run from the crying mob...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/18 09:04 PM
It's still vacillating between autumn and ummer here in Paris. I wonder how Amsterdam is doing.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/18 09:18 PM
It's still vacillating between autumn and ummer here in Paris. I wonder how Amsterdam is doing.

There's nothing so romantic as Paris in the ummer.

As fro Amsterdam
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/14/18 10:13 PM
You make fun of my typo, but you have a typo too. So there. Bleah.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/18 11:03 AM
Yes, but mine was put in on purpose. Or rather, left in when I spotted it before posting. I thought you did the same for me last week, actually. smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/18 11:13 AM
Well, we have to find a way to keep the conversation going wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/18 11:27 AM
Is branching out wise with autumn on the way?
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/18 11:30 AM
Is it likely that our conversation will fall silent?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/18 12:54 PM
Let's hope that's the only thing that drops off in Autumn.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/15/18 01:52 PM
It wouldn’t do to get all droopy.
Conditions are proceeding nicely, sentients.
Autumn is here!

Or Spring, if you're in the Southern Hemisphere!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/18 08:37 PM
It hit hard here in Paris. Rain, wind, leaves turning from green to brown and falling down...
Autumn is here, yet also still on the way. I am okay with that.
Chocolate chip bar cookies sound like a fine fall idea....
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/20/18 10:48 AM
Now I have cravings

and for hot chocolate too

I’m going to have some pumpkin soup for lunch today

and perhaps some champorado
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champorado
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/20/18 09:58 PM
An elderly gent took a fall at the football today. Trying to juggle tea with one eye on the match, the other on getting to his seat and also trying to move up a deceptively tall step. The steps double as the levels of terracing, with proper steps that should be used further along. He got treatment by one of the physios and went home at half time. That was because rumours that he was fitter than a lot of the squad were circulating and he didn't want to come on as a sub smile Could have been worse for him.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/21/18 07:28 PM
it’s much colder now, but still pleasant enough to have a picnic by the Seine or cocktails on a rooftop
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/21/18 07:37 PM
I put a jumper on! Autumn is upon us!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/22/18 01:47 AM
Had hot chocolate and pain au chocolat with almonds for breakfast today smile
It's early, very early but there is a just-barely-discernible change in the morning....
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/30/19 09:28 AM
Get back to school you little monsters!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 08/31/19 12:43 AM
Meanwhile down south there are definite signs of Spring in the air.
This past week has been grand.

Just 2 more days! But in the meantime, we have the 21st night of September!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/19 10:38 AM
We had a lovely late summer's day yesterday. I had sniffles so couldn't really enjoy it*.
Normal service has resumed today, and it's piddling it down.

*Not to worry. It was only sniffles picked up from germ ridden work colleagues. It didn't escalate into something serious like Man Sniffles!
Posted By: John_Robert_Roberts Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/19 01:54 PM
How the gentle wind
Beckons through the leaves
As Autumn colors fall
Dancing in a swirl
Of golden memories
The loveliest lies
Of all
Posted By: stile86 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/19 01:11 AM
Meanwhile down South ....

Spring in Melbourne proceeds as usual. Friday was sunny and 25 C (77 F) but Sunday was rainy and 14 C (57 F)

The weather in Melbourne is known around the country as having four seasons in one day.
Another common saying is "Don't like the weather in Melbourne? Wait 10 minutes."
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/19 11:20 AM
Fall brings with it the rains.

I wish I could have the pretty fall colors, crisp cool weather, and comfort food (pumpkin stuff! cinammon!!! soup!) without the rain. But ah well.
Posted By: Set Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/19 03:00 PM
Mmm, autumn squash soup!

One of my favorite parts of autumn, along with the cooler, dryer weather around here (we tend towards hot, humid summers, and autumns/winters so dry that I get spontaneous nosebleeds!), and the 'back to school' nostalgia (I was the weird kid who hated summer 'vacation,' which meant working all day on the farm, instead of escaping to hang out with my friends at school).

Now that there have been kids in the house for the last decade or two, I enjoy 'back to school' season for another reason... 'Yes! They're out the door! Eight hours of blissful peace and quiet, back to bed!' smile
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/24/19 08:25 AM
It's still 80 in San Diego! Alas, I'm still getting used to living here from the East Coast...
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/13/20 08:38 PM
Time marches on, strange though it may be. Fall (and spring, for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere) is upon us.

But maybe before then the North American West Coast could get some (all) of those April/May showers??
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/13/20 10:03 PM
FALL, DAMN YOU, FALL!

Look, we call it autumn here. Get a grip.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/13/20 10:15 PM
Evidence of autumn
And recent rain
On a winding lane, a byway
Walking on that road is a certain girl
In all the world the one
Guaranteed to move you and turn your head
When all's been said and done
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/19/20 05:09 PM
The poem is charming and haunting.

I have no choice but to go back to the usual nonsense.

Originally Posted by thoth lad
FALL, DAMN YOU, FALL!

Look, we call it autumn here. Get a grip.

Here, we call it Tuesday, then it's winter. Or maybe back to summer. Things are confused.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/20/20 12:50 AM
Here we call it Spring, but then we do stand on our heads down under.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/20/20 08:56 AM
Yeah, it just so happens that we have more countries in the northern hemisphere... many people don't even realize that the seasons are reversed depending on which half of the globe you're on

and of course many forget the tropical regions, which have basically "wet" and "dry" seasons only!
Posted By: Set Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/20/20 01:32 PM
It was in the eighties* earlier in the week.

It's down to the thirties, so on comes the electric blanket... (I used to never get cold, and be infamous for wearing shorts and a t-shirt while wading through hip deep snow. Now I can't even go into the milk aisle in the supermarket without a sweater! Getting old sucks!)

Fall has indeed fallen!

*Fahrenheit. That translates to... something else, in metric. How many fathoms per furlong? smile
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/20/20 01:39 PM
haha! I find I'm still as vulnerable to temperature changes now as I was 20 years ago...

I'm generally bad at distances and measurements, and having to think Celsius v. Fahreneit or miles v. kilometers doesn't help lol
Posted By: stile86 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/21/20 12:42 AM
When I first moved from Brisbane in sunny Queensland to Melbourne in southern Victoria (about equivalent to moving from southern California to Washington state) I was astonished at the difference. It took me awhile to get used to the idea of walking in brilliant sunshine and still needing to wear a jumper. My flatmates nicknamed me "Sir Gregory of the Many Jumpers". I'm used to it now, or at least to wearing more but yes as I have grown older temperature changes are more discomforting.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/21/20 06:24 AM
Quite an adjustment, isn't it?

The Philippines has a lot of biome / biosphere variations, but the temperature is fairly constant around the country (except in, say, the high mountains). So I got used to hot, sticky, humid weather. It was like that in much of East and Southeast Asia.

I remember my first time in Australia. Sydney. I think it was the Australian winter then (it would have been summer in the Philippines) and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the weather.

I would experience the same in Los Angeles and San Diego, in July/August. Sunny, but relatively cool for me, and dry.

The climate in Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam (where I've lived the last few years) has also been similar between the 3 places. Summer heat waves are the only time I get really uncomfortable. The rest of the year, I'm happy. I turn on my electric fan if it gets a bit too warm, put on a cardigan or a sweater if it starts getting a bit cold... Ah, bliss.
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/27/20 11:06 PM
Officially Fall now. There was some very promising rain, but this week is going to warm back up. I can not approve of such shenanigans. shake
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/27/20 11:16 PM
It was raining hard here in Rotterdam this weekend.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/28/20 03:23 PM
Your very own monsoon!

Do people name their children "Monsoon"? I've known women named Autumn and Summer (no Winters, Springs or Falls, at least not outside of comic books).
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/28/20 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Your very own monsoon!

Do people name their children "Monsoon"? I've known women named Autumn and Summer (no Winters, Springs or Falls, at least not outside of comic books).

Edena from Absolutely Fabulous had the surname "Monsoon." I can't remember whether or not that was her maiden name, it's been so long since I've watched it.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/28/20 10:30 PM
If it's Fall, it must be time to eat yourself fitter.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/20 10:19 AM
... or let yourself go and hide it under a voluminous sweater
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/20 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
If it's Fall, it must be time to eat yourself fitter.

"What's a computer?"
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/29/20 07:35 PM
Maybe one day they will invent a smart computer, aka cellular trim ray, to keep us fit without dieting or slaving away in a gym
Posted By: Leap Year Lord Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/03/20 11:54 PM
[Linked Image from legionworld.net]

Reposting because.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/04/20 12:45 AM
** It is beyond be-leaf.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/07/20 05:28 PM
[Linked Image from cdn.ipernity.com]
Zoom 7 par xenophora, on ipernity
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/07/20 05:57 PM
very classic collage, cleome! well done! Love the colors and the layout!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/07/20 07:23 PM
Thanks, Buddy. The young ladies in work pants and the tiny leaves are all from a 1943 Montgomery Ward catalogue.

TimeTrapper

ChameleonBoy
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/07/20 07:53 PM
Cleome, I love it! Especially the rich variety of browns!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/07/20 09:54 PM
Excellent Cleome! My eyes keep finding different elements to focus on.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/14/20 04:56 PM
Thanks, Ann. Thanks, thoth.

Koko
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/14/20 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by cleome54
Thanks, Buddy. The young ladies in work pants and the tiny leaves are all from a 1943 Montgomery Ward catalogue.

TimeTrapper

ChameleonBoy

missed this! i looked at it again, and I really like it :-)
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/15/20 10:46 AM
Quiet and calming, Cleome. Checked out some of your others (thinking you should do a winter one, and there it is!) and some of them made me laugh, very clever!

Looks like they're a lot of fun to pull together, but is your house filled with bits of paper?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 12/16/20 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by cleome54

TimeTrapper

ChameleonBoy

missed this! i looked at it again, and I really like it :-)

[bows] One of my pet peeves is not getting as much variation of scale in these things as I would like. Part of that is due to being limited to working on the little laptop screen and not a full-size one. Very hard to lay the components out neatly and view them in a row before they're pasted. So much constant zooming in and out... but I'm trying. In this case I think the mixing of sizes happened just the way I wanted it to.

Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Quiet and calming, Cleome. Checked out some of your others (thinking you should do a winter one, and there it is!) and some of them made me laugh, very clever!

Looks like they're a lot of fun to pull together, but is your house filled with bits of paper?

lol Everything starting in March of 2018 is done only in Photoshop. So the paper pages/clippings are all scanned first and then "treated." There's still way more of it around here than any sensible person would need. Luckily, I never pretended to have any sense. tongue
It's about that time....
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/13/21 09:12 PM
When Legion Worlders cast off the their skins of spring, of summer and of the world that was...

[Linked Image from d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net]
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/21 05:36 PM
A few more hours now... expecting fireworks, apple pie and gifts of wool sweaters.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/21 08:38 PM
Yay fall! i love fall weather, wore a sweater yesterday. nice full moon view from my window too.

it's almost time for mulled wine!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/22 04:55 PM
Almost there....

Hurricane season reached here in honour of autumn, but should just glance by.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/22/22 09:09 PM
hopefully it only glances by FC,

as for me, autumn brings with it a little cold...
Hey hey!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/22 09:25 PM
Make Hey while the sun shines!
Which won't be for much longer, cause Autumn is here.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 09/23/22 09:35 PM
Yay, yay!
Yesterday's weather made me think of this thread and our old pal Lash (and how he would have liked said weather).
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/23 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by MLLASH
I can't wait!!!

Leaves turning, Holidays a-coming, chic fall fashions!!!!!

this is Lash's first post in this thread. Such lovely energy.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/23 01:17 PM
Ah, that smell of ozone in the air as I taser the locals, who gather horse chestnuts instead of leaving them for the squirrels. What is wrong with humans?! Leave something for others! Zap!
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Autumn will be here soon.... - 10/01/23 06:59 PM
And the pine cones too!
© Legion World