Legion World
Posted By: Dev-Em iZombie - 04/14/10 03:19 AM
Preview and interview...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/chris-roberson-I-zombie-100413.html

Can't wait.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 04/14/10 03:25 AM
It's already on my pull-list. Sounds equal parts gross and groovy.

The town with all the weird horror-flick denizens reminds me of my own Deadsville in GIRL ZOMBIE.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: iZombie - 04/14/10 03:38 AM
Zombies...Allred is a winning combo.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 04/14/10 03:40 AM
You know it, and I'm already fascinated by the supporting characters so that's totally working for me too!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 04/14/10 01:17 PM
I'm glad this has its own thread! Dev, check out how I pumped up Legion World for this when it was announced: Comic Book Solicitations Thread .

I give my feelings there why #1 is a must-buy for anyone with any sense of human decency.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: iZombie - 04/14/10 01:20 PM
I do remember that thread, and I thought this one deserved it's own and that should be a rotating thread. hopefully they'll be something new to post about in that one this month.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 04/14/10 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Dev Em:
I do remember that thread, and I thought this one deserved it's own and that should be a rotating thread. hopefully they'll be something new to post about in that one this month.
Agreed! I keep hoping to add a new solicit to it, but comic book companies really need to step their game up.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: iZombie - 05/04/10 02:36 PM
It's supposed to hit this week!!!

It's a dollar...and has art by Allred!!!

Everyone needs to get this one!!!

I used a lot of !!! in this post!!!
Posted By: Jerry Re: iZombie - 05/05/10 02:53 AM
It's on my pull.
Posted By: Jerry Re: iZombie - 05/06/10 01:54 AM
Solid first issue. I'm not totally blown away, but interested enough to stick around for a while to see how it unfolds. Love that it is set in Eugene, OR. I think Ellie will be my favorite supporting character.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: iZombie - 05/07/10 02:03 PM
Good issue for an intro to the cast and situations. I'll stick out the first arc at least.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: iZombie - 05/08/10 07:13 AM
Mike Allred is a dreamboat!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 05/08/10 10:05 AM
i really liked this book, especially since it's not just zombies, i've liked allred's work for a while but didn't like that x-book he drew.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 05/20/10 02:32 AM
To echo all your comments, I thought it was a solid first issue. Nothing to write home to Mom about, but definitely good enough to continue for the first arc. And there is certainly potential for this to be an excellent series. The premise is good enough to keep me intrigued.

What I liked was there was a genuinely weird/creepy feeling throughout the issue that left me partially wondering what was going on but also realizing anything weird could go down at any minute. I like that feeling.

Of course, the real star was Mike Allred's artwork which is just a masterpiece on every page. He's good enough where buying his comics is something I do sometimes for his art alone. I recently purchased all the old Madman trades (thanks Kent! laugh ), and iZombie mirrors the sense of weird in Madman. Allred is really able to capture that feeling while also having attractive characters and a quirky, cartoony style.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 05/20/10 03:36 AM
Got mine today!!! Will read soon!!!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 05/24/10 08:03 PM
Luh-HUUUVED it!

I've SO missed Allred's art.

I already love the ghost girl and wereterrier guy.

First Vertigo series I've collected since Codename: Knockout was cancelled.
Posted By: Pov Re: iZombie - 05/24/10 08:50 PM
I read the five-page preview in FABLES #94... interesting premise, and Allred looks to be on top of his game. I'm not a big Zombie fan, but based on the recs I'm seeing here I'll track down the cheapie first issue.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 06/04/10 12:40 PM
Can i just say, HOW SICK ALLRED'S ART IS!!!!

omg, the beginning where gwen is painting the paintings to cleverly catch up the reader on events and move the plot forward.....i LOVE the bright red dripping paint brush being waved around for three pages. it just adds a great extra atmosphere and pop art creepiness to the story.

a little later when the head vamp is lecturing panel after panel, and then in panel five she's pointing the finger at herself ....... so clever. i love it.

ooo and the sick meat cooking scene, it's like it's out of a great hitchcock movie <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">that mummy is totally the invisible man, and that tiger must be a shapeshifter. shrug </span></span>

i want this to become a tv series with mike allred directing.

oh yeah and horatio is a hottie.
Posted By: Jerry Re: iZombie - 06/06/10 01:01 AM
Very nice second issue. I think this series is going to become a keeper. More interesting characters. More quirks for the ones we met first issue. We have a mystery. We have villain. Most of all, though, Allred is just rocking it.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 06/10/10 02:24 AM
I think if this series had no dialogue I'd shell out whatever cash was needed to continue--Allred's artwork is just that majestic to behold. Every page I can't help but gobble it up. I probably will give a reread before I put this away.

That being said, there is dialogue and I'm enjoying the story quite a bit too. Like Jerry says, more interesting characters & more quirks and I like all the various horror-type characters who have very human personalities.

I'm really feeling this title!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 07/06/10 08:33 PM
Ooops! I forgot to sing # 2's praises awhile back... my very bad.

I ZOMBIE is officially in my top 5 titles!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 08/10/10 03:06 PM
I’m enjoying the story in iZombie quite a bit; but there is no denying the absolute coolest part of the comic book is that Mike Allred artwork! Just like on Madman, it has that weird combination of being utterly weird, really retro-groovy and also really attractive to the eyes. The way Allred draws Ellie, the ghost girl, is just so damn cute!

Meanwhile, like I said, the story is really cool. With all of these monsters, it still maintains that ‘small town’ feel to it, which enhances the creepiness.

It’s hard to keep praising this series without repeating ourselves; but honestly, EVERYONE should be checking this out!
Posted By: SharkLad Re: iZombie - 08/10/10 03:12 PM
I hadn't heard of this 'til PB mentioned it to me ... sounds like you guys are loving it ... gonna see if my cbs has back issues when I go tomorrow ...
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 08/11/10 02:25 AM
I forgot to comment on 3 (shame on me!!) but I do love the book!

I'm at the point now where I will re-read all 3 issues before I dive into issue 4 so I can absorb all the info in one sitting (and look at ALL the pretty artwork!!)
Posted By: Jerry Re: iZombie - 08/21/10 08:12 PM
It doesn't look like anyone has yet mentioned the terrific coloring job that Laura Allred is doing on this series. It's beautiful work.
Posted By: Blacula Re: iZombie - 08/22/10 10:43 AM
I'm going the TPB route for all non-DCU books now but I think I'll definitely check this one out whenever it goes on sale.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 09/03/10 07:55 PM
The art is great (obviously), but the story is just so Slooooooow. You could have had the same content in issue #5 in about half the page count and then moved the plot more. As it is, this is just drawn out, and not even character building drawn out as we don't know that much more about the gang than we did in the second issue.

It's got great potential, but is on very thin ice with me.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 09/06/10 02:13 PM
I haven't read 5 yet (I'm going to the CBS today) but I found 4 to be very informative when I read it last night-- I thought the whole undersoul/oversoul thing was very cool and a nifty, simple explanation for zombies, ghosts, vampires etc. We also learned just what those men in white were! Lots of info and plot-moving-forward and stuff revealed in issue 4.

Well done.

And the art? I don't need to go there do I? Allred remains my favorite and Laura's colors compliment him perfectly as always.
Posted By: Pov Re: iZombie - 09/06/10 07:26 PM
wink
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Laura's colors compliment him perfectly as always.
Because if they don't, he goes all Punch & Judy/Rokk and Ayla on her... eek smack

JUST. KIDDING. wink
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 09/23/10 01:37 AM
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I haven't read 5 yet (I'm going to the CBS today) but I found 4 to be very informative when I read it last night-- I thought the whole undersoul/oversoul thing was very cool and a nifty, simple explanation for zombies, ghosts, vampires etc. We also learned just what those men in white were! Lots of info and plot-moving-forward and stuff revealed in issue 4.

Well done.

And the art? I don't need to go there do I? Allred remains my favorite and Laura's colors compliment him perfectly as always.
I also found the explanation of the oversoul/undersoul and how it creates ghosts, poltergeists, etc. to be very groovy too! A really original explanation for the various forms of the undead.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 10/31/10 06:15 AM
AWWWWWW! How cute was the origin of everyone's favorite were-terrier???

Nice issue with an unexpected (by me) ending! I'm glad we are going to be delving into the cast more!
Posted By: Jerry Re: iZombie - 10/31/10 06:27 AM
It looks like Spot's father may be joining the ever expanding cast. He'll be a good ally in his present form.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 10/31/10 01:29 PM
One thing they've done a good job doing is make me totally fascinated with finding out what the story is with Dixie, the owner of the diner. I'm dying to know!
Posted By: Jerry Re: iZombie - 11/10/10 04:11 AM
RE: Issue #7

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Gwen accidently eating her mother's brains is a totally original and gross twist. I love this book!</span></span>
Posted By: Jerry Re: iZombie - 01/02/11 04:57 AM
Whoops. My spoiler was a wrong assumption. Oh well, it is still an interesting development.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: iZombie - 01/02/11 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Jerry:
It looks like Spot's father may be joining the ever expanding cast. He'll be a good ally in his present form.
Actually I think it's Spot's grandpa.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 01/06/11 05:14 PM
Look, I don't want wall-to-wall action or anything here, but can SOMETHING happen already? We're on issue number nine and the glacier pace continues.

If it's going to be a book about characters and relationships, than flesh out the characters. If it's going to be a Scooby-Doo wacky adventures of the monster gang, then get to it. But I really wish they'd do something because I'm quickly losing my patience.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 01/10/11 07:36 PM
I'm still enjoying it but I get what you're saying. I read # 8-9 last night...

I'm just enjoying the slow ride because the pictures are so nice to look at.

But I believe when it comes to a head, it's going to be very ugly.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 01/10/11 08:54 PM
yeah ... it's quite slow .. i think it should've started sprinting after she discovered the whole 'under' soul 'over' soul bit ....

but i did love the break of the were-terriers origin so much.

It's a lovely book but if Alred left I think I would follow ... his art is entrancing!

I did like the hottie vampire hunter on hottie vampire action though (a couple issues ago .. i think i missed 7) <i wrote episodes and then changed it to issues ... It does seem like TV>
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 01/10/11 10:02 PM
Oh I absolutely agree, if Allred left my desire to read this probably would too-- I would likely give the new artist one issue to hook me.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 01/13/11 07:14 PM
I understand your complaint too, Dave. But like Lash, I’m just enjoying soaking up all that gorgeous Allred artwork, and so long as it’s there, I don’t mind the pace (it actually paces a bit like Madman). Like you guys say though, without Allred, I’d probably give it an issue and then I’d be gone. That’s the big sell for me here.

I caught up on the recent issues and I’m enjoying Gwen’s date. She really is a likeable lead!

The D&D scene was funny and I think anyone who played D&D would get a kick out of it.

I really like Roberson’s puns and in-jokes which he puts in every issue. They have a certain charm to them, and while sometimes that can get annoying, I think he does them well.

All in all, this isn’t my favorite series but I’m enjoying it quite a bit still.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 09/09/11 01:50 AM
ORIGINAL POST ELSEWHERE BY: Dave Hackett

The Red Legionnaire

posted September 08, 2011 07:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iZombie #17 - I spent the first half of this series complaining that it was taking too long for things to happen, and now everything's happening at once and its a bit of a hot mess. This book continues to perplex me, partly because it just keeps changing its gameplan and I can't get on board like I really, really want to.

The plot now revolves around a zombie invasion, the cause of which could be several or none of the characters we've seen so far. Gwen and her "Scooby Gang" run into the Dead Presidents (really amped up reflections of themselves) as well as the Gravediggers. As much as the two factions want to kill each other (and in the Gravediggers case, Gwen), they need to unite to fend off the zombies.

Meanwhile, Horatio has found out Gwen's undead and seems to choose his loyalty to the Gravediggers over her, but he's obviosuly conflicted.

Meanwhile, Scott's Grandpa (the Chimp) and his friends make their way to the coffee house where the owner seems to have some experience with (and hate for) zombies.

Meanwhile, Galatia lose the "Vessel" and is confronted by the Brain in a jar, Kovsky, who's got Claire captive and wants a body.

Meanwhile, Ellie finds the Vessel, who's awake and tries to help him out.

Meanwhile, the Vampire girls are up to... something.

Meanwhile, Gwen stumbles across Amon and suddenly remembers she knew him before she died and he's involved in her death.

Got all that?

I like idea that this coming "Convergence" event is mirrored in the plots themselves all amping up and seeming to tie together, but Roberson's gone form 0 to 120 here and puts a lot of balls in the air (writing this review has actually been really helpful in sorting it all out). I'm hoping for a big payoff, but this series has been spotty with those thus far. When it is good, though its generally very good.

One thing that's indisputable: Allred's art is gorgeous.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 09/13/11 08:39 PM
A quick review of IZOMBIE #17

Much like Lash and DH, I have been wondering about the recent plots that have been taking their time to get going, But #16 and #17 have been chock full of excitement.

I wasn't into the second stories with the Presidents when they seemed more exciting than Gwen's adventures. But now that they're all together ... It's fantastic.

So Issue #17

Zombies everywhere. Gwen's hottie moster hunter Horatio knows she's a vampire. The Dead Presidents, a government sanctioned group of monsters, are at odds with the (i assume government sanctioned) moster hunters. Gwen and her scooby gang are caught in the middle of all this.

Things I loved:

Shotgun toting Dixie the waitress.
Kennedy the looks like she lost an arm or two intelligent zombie.
Nazi brain in a jar.
Ellie the ghosts personal naked boy zombie!!
Amon is also very cute but, it seems he and Gwen have some very dramatic prior relationship.

Allred's art ... the details in the background are just fantastic. Well thought over and embellished.

For example:
the monster hunter guy in the turban.
Random firefighter guy chopping up zombies.

The most amazing thing about the art, by far for me, and Allred usually throws it down each month... is the map ... as Gwen and Spot are fleeing across the city ... there are pop outs of them in various places against the backdrop of a map of town. It's cinematic and retro cartoony at the same time. Loved it.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 09/13/11 08:57 PM
Yeah I read # 17 last night... it kicks ASS.

I ZOMBIE is firing on all cylinders right now!!

Also loved Dixie with shotgun!

LOVE how Allred makes everyone so cute!!

Dead Presidents RULE!!

And I hope Ellie and her Boy Zombie hit it right off! J'adorablesauce!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 09/13/11 09:02 PM
This book seems tailor made for you!

brains in jars and boy zombies !!
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 09/13/11 09:17 PM
Isn't the "boy Zombie" the "Vessel" that Galetia's been working on? I suspect he'll be more of a Frankenstein type than a zombie.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 09/13/11 09:53 PM
ahhh that makes great sense .... ty
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 09/13/11 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Power Boy:
This book seems tailor made for you!

brains in jars and boy zombies !!
I have to admit I thought of FEMbrain in that scene!!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 10/04/11 01:34 AM
The artwork of Mike Allred continues to make I, Zombie a pleasure to read month in and month out. The plot is way out there and I can hardly remember who and where all these characters are at times, but seeing Allred draw all these funky monsters and characters is still enough to keep me buying.

In #17 the crowded plotline continues to get more crowded as just about every type of monster under the sun is represented, with two whole groups going at it (the Dead Presidents versus the monster hunter dudes). But as the issue pulls away from that and focuses on Gwen (where the writing usually shines), we get a nice revelation at issue’s end that upped my curiosity about the main character and the Mummy known as Amon.

But of course its that artwork that I can’t get enough of. Even seeing a character among the monster-hunters with absolutely no lines dressed like Captain Ahab, with a magnificent Indian beard and a sword, was just pleasing on the eye. I mean, the guy has zero lines spoken and I still thought “awesome.”

As we’ve said in this thread—without Allred, the series doesn’t work. But he is here, and so it does work…and I’m enjoying the heck out of it.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 11/16/11 01:40 PM
iZombie #19 - Wait, what just happened here? After a stellar issue #17, I was a little annoyed about the break for an inventory issue/guest fill-in with #18, but the story was decent and I figured it would give Allred the chance to ramp up for a kick-ass conclusion, and we get.... this?

We're a week later suddenly. The zombie problems been cleared up, the town's in lock-down and everyone else goes back into a holding pattern (with a little progression for Scott, which I liked). After all the plots were finally coming to a head in #17, this issue just deflated everything. Roberson's pacing continues to baffle and frustrate me.

I like this concept and I want to like this series more, but the execution continues to let me down.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 11/17/11 06:33 AM
I really really loved the flashback issue-- I thought it was awesome and a contender for my favorite issue yet (despite the no-show by Allred).

The fill-in artist had a very Allred flavor and the story was great fun, even a little touching!
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 12/07/11 02:43 PM
iZombie #20 The three leads continue on their own separate tracks with Gwen recruited to the Dead Presidents (without any say in the matter), Scott trying to figure out his love life before being kidnapped by Horatio, and Ellie helping "Francisco" regain his memories, with what looks like an indecent proposal from Claire.

A descent issue, but once again the sense of urgency built up has been totally dissipated.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 01/06/12 04:27 PM
iZombie #21 - The story turns around again and plunges right back into the "Convergence" plot, as Gwen and the Dead Presidents close in on Galatea and the Soviet brain in the coffee pot. Problem is, the Gravediggers want in on the action too. Meanwhile Scott's not been kidnapped by Horatio after all, but Amon, who intends to sacrifice him.

J. Bone was an interesting choice for artist, but I'll be anxious to see Allred back, especially now that things are (hopefully) picking up again.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 04/02/12 03:21 PM
Ending with Issue #28 -

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04...nd-mike-allred-about-the-end-of-izombie/
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 05/17/12 06:06 AM
I wonder what Allred's next project will be??? I would DIE... DIE if he took over LSH (I know it will never happen).

I just now plowed through SEVEN issues of I ZOMBIE ...man that was fun!! 19-25 in one sitting... I am hoping this doesn't conclude with one of those "everybody dies" endings...

And if Gavin and Scott (Spot) don't hook up soon I am going to wig smooth out!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 05/17/12 10:34 AM
Allred is doing at least one issue of Marvel's Daredevil but no idea what his more permanent plans are yet.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 05/17/12 10:51 AM
He would do a great Wolvie and the X-Men ... they even have a doop!
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: iZombie - 06/14/12 01:35 PM
Caught up on the last two issues. Things seem to be moving towards a big conclusion, but I remain skeptical it will all come together satisfactorily given Roberson's track record. However, Allred's art continues to be awesome.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 08/05/12 07:46 AM
iZombie ended today.

shrug

kind of ok, It didn't end with anywhere near the steam that it started with, I think it could've ended about four or eight ago ... it sure seems like its been going on for a whole lot more than 28.

It looks like Allred will be able to work wherever he wants fro m now on, He's on next months Daredevil for a start.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 08/05/12 10:13 PM
He will be doing covers for IT GIRL & THE ATOMICS.

He's also slated for a WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN fill-in!

Annnnnd- the big news is he's going to be working regularly on a FANTASTIC FOUR book for MarvelNOW! So you can all rest assured I'll be adding a regular Marvel title to my monthly list. Gosh I hope it isn't $4!!!!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 01:36 AM
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:

He's also slated for a WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN fill-in!
OMMFG! WANT NEED HAVE!!!!!!!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 03:04 AM
I'm pretty sure I read that, and that Doop will appear, I hope I'm recalling right... *goes to verify*
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 03:06 AM
YAY, I was right!!

http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/news/a397414/x-men-mike-allred-draws-doop-issue.html
Posted By: Pov Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 03:11 AM
I thought X-Statix ended with Doop cracked on the ground...? hmmm
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 03:14 AM
Doop is a regular. I think they said before it was another Doop but, now they seem to be saying it is THE Doop.

Doop is one of the teachers at the Jean Grey school ... even though no one can understand him heh heh
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 03:15 AM
He's been there all along!!!???!!!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 04:01 AM
yep. Since Wolverine and the X-Men #1.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: iZombie - 08/06/12 11:28 AM
He's yet another reason why this series stands out and is so different from 1,000 poorly done other X series!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: iZombie - 08/12/12 12:47 AM
I was really disappointed that Allred's "It Girl" was merely 'created by' Allred and neither written nor drawn by him. I left that beautiful cover on the shelf at the CBS.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: iZombie - 08/25/12 03:46 AM
I read the final issue... I'll miss this ginchy cast but Allred moving back to a Marvel superhero book makes up for it times three!
© Legion World