Roll Call
0 members (), 62 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/16/24 11:12 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/16/24 05:48 AM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/16/24 05:09 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/16/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:27 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/15/24 10:20 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Garth Ennis' The Boys
#498654 09/26/11 03:48 PM
Honorary
Honorary
the legion parody in the boys was pretty awes

#498655 09/26/11 03:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by jab:
the legion parody in the boys was pretty awes
Legion parody??? Hm. I think I know what you mean. "The Innocents" arc? Never occurred to me as a Legion parody, but I can kinda see it!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#498656 06/19/12 10:20 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Legion Parody ?!?!?!

HAHA, I've skimmed over this thread, I don't want any spoils.

But, I read TPBs 2 and 3 and just ordered 4, 5, and 6.

It remains to be seen if it is as good as Preacher, I think the 4 -6 issue story lines are ... if not better because they follow a more accessible or traditional framework.

Although, Preachers mega or series story was so great, instead of disappointing me, the finale proved me wrong.

Anyway, I really enjoyed what I've read of the Boys so far. It's like a less 'noir' for lack of a better term Powers. With the characters personality being more on the page.

Butcher and Houghie come alive. (Rather instantly ... and If I may say so ... quicker and better than Preacher, wether that is a good thing or not I guess would be left to opinion)

So far, I would agree that there needs to be a female character that gets the Ennis brush treatment. I am right at the point where I can see Starlight getting interesting. And the Directer (Big Boss) is female, so maybe she'll get some screen time later. Although, it IS called 'The Boys'. laugh

The description and characterization of the Seven and this whole world is so great, close enough to the real thing in DC to have some traction, and just twisted enough to make perfect sense (like Powers ... OF COURSE THE CRIMINALS WOULD STILL USE THEIR POWERS IF YOU OUTLAW POWER USE! HAHA) ... I wish I had thought of this universe.

Final comments: I am extremely P.C., and Ennis runs over me with a train and has me laughing at the word <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">fa**ot </span></span> for possibly (most likely) the first time ever.

He has a way of disempowering shock ... bringing it down to a level where it just adds (a superficial)aesthetic to the universe he's created, all the while telling us the shock, gore, and sex, is superficial.

#498657 06/22/12 10:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
After reading more of the Boys .... I've come to believe that Butcher .... <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">is an asshole. </span></span>

and the violence and gore does get to be a bit much ... <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> I also thought the Female shoulda been a goner from the graphic depiction of her butt being kicked into a puddle. Seems like the big 5 are 'safe' yet everyone else gets their jaw ripped off</span></span>

Starlight is one of my favorites .... Houghie being the other but, he's getting jerked around too much right now.

I like MM but his condition is weird.

The saving grace of the book, is that it dosn't take itself seriously ... I can forgive some things ... like Ennis' random odd turn of a phrase that dosn't sound American at all ... or his use of Butcher to provide misinformed social commentary on the US.

Because Butcher runs around with a bulldog. lol

I read Frenchie's origin story and it was the epitome of the book ... his name was "Frenchie" in French ... . bwahahahaha

That issue was FULL of over the top stereotypes about french people but that's what made it so ridiculous ... and nullified them all ... IMO. for just good fun.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">baguette jousts!!! hahahaha </span></span>

Maybe I am being too generous to Ennis ... I think he's a comic genius, making fun of stereotypes themselves (but ... maybe he's just a racist psychopath!! eek ) wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,373
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
jab, stile86
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Calybos
Calybos
Norcross, GA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star